The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2016, 06:43 AM   #331
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Not sure what the rules is with stock comment but I bought Apple share @ $89.97 and the following week, Warren Buffett decide to announce he bought $1.1 billions of Apple! Felt pretty lucky! Up ~7% already. Easy money, wish I bought more.

I contribute all my luck to my lovely Wife. Since I got marry last year, things are definitely on the upside of things and she seems to like these comment lol... I hope my Wife see this post ;)
Old 25 May 2016, 01:36 PM   #332
Dubarzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
PS- If you have a stock tip that may benefit others please share. We are all adults who are used to making educated decisions and understand there is risk in investing. Do your research, if you do not want to participate then don't.
RRMS is worth a look.... I got in at $13 just over a month ago- now at almost $24. What really drew me in was the 20% dividend (at the time)- never thought it would take off so quickly. I'm still buying- it's worth a look!
Old 26 May 2016, 07:41 AM   #333
modee
Banned

Watch: Rolex 228206
All those stocks amzn, nflx, googl, continue to roar. AAPL making a comeback too. Definitely no fear in the market right now!
Old 28 May 2016, 06:53 AM   #334
modee
Banned

Wheweeee! What a week for AMZN, GOOGL, NFLX, AAPL, just buy and hold all week no brainer. Over all trend, UPPITY UP!

Even today when the news flashed that the Fed Chair had decided that there may well be a June rate hike, after a momentary slight dip, the market came back higher than before!
Old 28 May 2016, 06:57 AM   #335
modee
Banned

I see AAPL back in the 120s post iPhone 7 release.

Stuff like HRTX that's straight gambling, but it can be profitable!

RRMS will follow oil prices I assume. We might be topped out at 50/brl.
Old 28 May 2016, 02:21 PM   #336
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I bought some apple 100 1/2018 calls today
Old 29 May 2016, 02:24 AM   #337
modee
Banned

I don't trade options much, but when I do, I like to get them close to the money too.
Old 1 June 2016, 07:53 AM   #338
modee
Banned

AMZN still marching up there. I expect it to hit 750s at some point between now and next earnings, despite the inevitable ups and downs.
Old 1 June 2016, 08:47 AM   #339
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by modee View Post
I see AAPL back in the 120s post iPhone 7 release.

Stuff like HRTX that's straight gambling, but it can be profitable!

RRMS will follow oil prices I assume. We might be topped out at 50/brl.
Apple is still viewed as a hardware company and investors are judging them based on IPhone sales as primary indicator for company balance sheet health.....I believe the long view will prove them wrong.
Old 1 June 2016, 08:57 AM   #340
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree. Long Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod727 View Post
Apple is still viewed as a hardware company and investors are judging them based on IPhone sales as primary indicator for company balance sheet health.....I believe the long view will prove them wrong.
Old 2 June 2016, 05:05 AM   #341
modee
Banned

I believe CMG is bottoming out good for a run.
Old 2 June 2016, 04:24 PM   #342
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AMZN still marching up there. I expect it to hit 750s at some point between now and next earnings, despite the inevitable ups and downs.
My basis in amzn is 30. It has been a great ride.
If you want a boring sleeper, look at the CB chart. I have been in it for about two months now.
Old 2 June 2016, 09:23 PM   #343
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
When I went to research Chubb, I saw that Goldman Sachs just downgraded Apple. Interesting.

Currently, I just got a position in Palo Alto Networks (PANW). Lots of wildly diverse opinions on this one, lots of negatives, lots of positives. Big short position too. Honestly, I'm down (losing) on this one right now and will sell shortly if I can get out without too much of a loss. But for those who like risk, it's worth a look.

I bought it hoping for a pop on earnings, short squeeze, which didn't pan out. These days I only do short-term trading, as I'm just not a fan of the market this year and I don't want to be exposed to the downside risk. I don't see much room for it to move up.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 3 June 2016, 12:14 AM   #344
modee
Banned

Quote:
I believe CMG is bottoming out good for a run.
There it goes. I'm a trader I bought at the close yesterday and already sold today much higher, rebought and it's higher still today.
Old 3 June 2016, 04:40 AM   #345
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

UPDATE: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA) https://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=TEVA&ql=0 -

We were all waiting for the approval but the new was still a positive as it will likely get approval Q4 2016... http://www.bidnessetc.com/69764-teva...drug-approval/

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 8 June 2016, 06:29 AM   #346
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
About to take a nice big risk, but I am hoping it will pay off.

The actual stocks in my portfolio only account to maybe 5% of my investments. Everything else is really just funds and various other things.

And all of my stocks are doing really well.

The one dog I have got is VRX. It is down 72% since I bought it.

My thought process is that this company is not going out of business. The new CEO (I hope) is thinking, "we have to break it down in order to build it up and it is going to get worse before it gets better".

So with todays reports, the stock tanked again by another 14.59%.

I am picking up another 200 shares, my break even is now $45 instead of $65. And if it goes to even half of its all time highs, I will be sitting really pretty.

It appears to me they are not going out of business. And this seems like a good risk.

Am I being a dope? Not looking to get flamed, but looking for input as I am a total beginner with this stuff.

FWIW, I don't flip stocks. Anything I buy, I figure I am holding for the next 10-20 years.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 8 June 2016, 09:52 AM   #347
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Am I being a dope? Not looking to get flamed, but looking for input as I am a total beginner with this stuff.
sometimes a falling is is just that, a falling knife, waiting to be grabbed
Old 8 June 2016, 09:52 AM   #348
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
If it's 5% of your investments Seth you are not being a dope. Let's think positive for a good spike for you. Congrats on the new Daytona as well!
Old 8 June 2016, 09:56 AM   #349
77T

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Quote:

My thought process is that this company is not going out of business. The new CEO (I hope) is thinking, "we have to break it down in order to build it up and it is going to get worse before it gets better".

You're not a dope.
But "hope" is not a strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 8 June 2016, 10:13 AM   #350
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I like to buy stocks that have momentum going up. Not stocks that are going down and may turn around. "Don't try catching a falling knife". It is a small enough position that you won't get hurt either way. If your intel is right, it may bail you out.
Good luck!!
Old 8 June 2016, 10:47 AM   #351
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
For dividend investors who think oil is going back up, I suggest AMZA, an MLP ETF that has a 19% dividend yield and no pesky K-1 forms (for taxes).
Old 8 June 2016, 11:48 AM   #352
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
About to take a nice big risk, but I am hoping it will pay off.

The actual stocks in my portfolio only account to maybe 5% of my investments. Everything else is really just funds and various other things.

And all of my stocks are doing really well.

So with todays reports, the stock tanked again by another 14.59%.

I am picking up another 200 shares, my break even is now $45 instead of $65. And if it goes to even half of its all time highs, I will be sitting really pretty.

It appears to me they are not going out of business. And this seems like a good risk.

FWIW, I don't flip stocks. Anything I buy, I figure I am holding for the next 10-20 years.
I just took a look at that chart. Nothing there looks good. I wouldn't throw good money after bad. Keep your original position if you must but don't be afraid to take a loss. At least you will get a write off.
Old 8 June 2016, 12:55 PM   #353
Gaijin

I'm not allowed as an American living overseas ( I'm not sure if this is law or policy of trading firms. Seems like US law.) To have a US brokerage account. Both of my US brokerage accounts were frozen once they found out I had moved abroad. In fact I'm not allowed by IRS law to have more than $10,000 in a foreign bank account without reporting it. The penalties are extreme for non reporting. I keep very little in my account here.

Back on topic the stock market to me ( no conspiracy theory ) is rigged. It's like the market goes up one day and the reasons are this or that. Job growth or no trouble here or there in wherever. Then right on cue it goes down. Again some lame totally unrelated reason is typed out. Trouble brewing here or there. Interest rates this or that. It's nonsensical. It's almost like some collusion.

Everyone caught the lame fabricated excuse they just rolled out for not raising the basis point? Doctored job report. No financial institute wants the interest rate hike because it's cheap cash to throw in the market.

Janet Yellen just needs to raise the interest rate ( a few times) and let the market deal with it. Take the pain already. No more kicking the can down the road.

I've got about 25% of my investments in the market so I'm not wishing the worst. I'm still investing. Just tired of this nonsense.
Old 8 June 2016, 01:32 PM   #354
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I'm not allowed as an American living overseas ( I'm not sure if this is law or policy of trading firms. Seems like US law.) To have a US brokerage account. Both of my US brokerage accounts were frozen once they found out I had moved abroad. In fact I'm not allowed by IRS law to have more than $10,000 in a foreign bank account without reporting it. The penalties are extreme for non reporting. I keep very little in my account here.

FATCA got ya - Google it if you want to know more, but yes it is the law.

Now if the accounts had securities or Mutual Funds registered here in US, you can do something about it.

US expat's can roll into exchange-traded funds.

Old 8 June 2016, 02:51 PM   #355
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
FATCA got ya - Google it if you want to know more, but yes it is the law.

Now if the accounts had securities or Mutual Funds registered here in US, you can do something about it.

US expat's can roll into exchange-traded funds.

Paul! God bless you sir! That is great news! I was planning on calling my brokerage again next week. Is there any regulation I should quote to them about moving everything into an ETF? These are ROTH IRAs that they froze and I won't sell them anyway until I'm 59 1/2. However they won't let me move anything around even within the brokerage.
Old 8 June 2016, 07:25 PM   #356
77T

I don't know all the steps involved - some people put everything into place before leaving. So the catch may be leaving one firm and opening new IRAs with a rollover. Go to expatfocus.com and read up on it.
There are good financial articles including one from March, 2016 on freezing funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 8 June 2016, 07:28 PM   #357
Gaijin

Thank you Sir.
Old 9 June 2016, 10:28 AM   #358
modee
Banned

BIIB collapsed past two days. (I do not own or trade any biotechs.) And that's the danger with these types of stocks.
Old 9 June 2016, 10:32 AM   #359
modee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Back on topic the stock market to me ( no conspiracy theory ) is rigged. It's like the market goes up one day and the reasons are this or that. Job growth or no trouble here or there in wherever. Then right on cue it goes down. Again some lame totally unrelated reason is typed out. Trouble brewing here or there. Interest rates this or that. It's nonsensical. It's almost like some collusion.
The stock market is not rigged. It is tied to the emotions of millions of people. Traders. And the actions of those human traders is amplified by algorithmic computerized traders.
The way people perceive events such as earnings, momentum, interest rates, oil prices, world events, politics, news, relative interest in the stock from other traders, upgrades/downgrades, etc. etc. etc. Just as no one may guarantee or predict the actions or emotions of another, so is the stock market therefore, to an outsider, completely random and unpredictable. But it is not fixed.

I'll give you an example. I bought 1000 shares of TSLA today. I put in an order to sell it at 1 point higher. This is a typical trade for me, to make $1K per trade. Next thing you know, it was dropping. So I put in an order to sell it at just 0.15 higher than what I had bought it at, to make a little and get the h. out. Didn't hit, kept dropping. I then considered buying another 1000 shares to cost average in, but didn't bother as 1000 shares isn't such a big deal to me I could hold it forever but get into 2K or 3K shares and that's a larger position of this particular stock than I care to hold, in case I got stuck and had to hold past today.

Well, I've done this for many years so I don't get rattled easier, but when I was down nearly two grand, I did not lower my sell, but actually raised it, to 0.5 higher than my buy price. I just know the way these things works. If it makes it back to around my buy price, it is going to go higher. Just the way things work. Then I just turned off the screen and went back to work on other things.

Next thing you know, my order fills, and it ends up going even a full point above my original sell order. So in other words, I cheated myself out of $500. made only $500. instead of my intended K. But I did not cheat myself to the extent of selling at a loss, or for the measly 0.15 - $150.

AND, the stock, after dropping two full points, rallied back up a full four points, to even higher than I even expected. In other words, the stock dropped lower than I expected and still ended up higher than I expected? Why? Just the way the market works. Just as I got rattled and lowered my sell price some (but too seasoned to sell at a loss, been doing this too long I know the way the market works sometimes), thousands of traders as the stock started to drop panicked and sold. But then more traders came in and scooped it up and then brought the price even higher.

In the back of my mind all the time was the momentum of this stock lately, without getting into details, all the positive, and also a little nagging negative. Obviously I'm in tune with others because the stock ended up rallying. It was a good trade.

I could go on and on, but do this enough years and you get a feel for what is happening. Lately I've been on a terrific run and the worst trade I've done I've lost maybe a hundred bucks, and all the other trades made anywhere from $500. to $27,000. You get in tune with the market and you do well.

I also have long term blue chip stocks, both traditional companies and tech stocks, and all of those are far in the green too.
Old 11 June 2016, 02:47 AM   #360
modee
Banned

AMZN good on a dip to 717 today. CMG good on a dip to 406.5

I'm in, at least for the day.
Closed Thread