The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2023, 11:01 PM   #1
bds79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
AD or Grey Market for Explorer II?

I’ve been in love with the black dial Explorer II for several years. A year and 2 months ago I approached my local AD with my interest in buying one. I’ve followed all the advice about working with an AD: I was specific about what I wanted (black dial Explorer II); I discussed with him in person; I expressed my long-standing interest in watches; I checked back in person every few months (not obnoxious but showing I’m committed); and am clearly not a flipper.

On my visits he tried to direct my interest toward a Tudor. I looked at the Tudor GMT but politely declined. I said the black dial Explorer II is the watch for me and I’ll wait. So I have no buying history with him.

Now, after a year and 2 month I’m coming to the conclusion that I’m simply not going to be offered the watch from him. Maybe he has other clients with a spending history and those are who he contacts when Rolex shipments come in. He’s a salesman trying to sell watches, I get it. But I feel like if I were on his radar and truly at the top of his list for this watch (as he said) I would have this watch by now.

So, do I keep waiting on the AD, or do I pull the trigger in the grey market?
I’ve saved the money for this watch, have wanted it for years and know it’s the watch for me, and am just getting tired of waiting and thinking about it.
bds79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 11:30 PM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Prices on the Exp2 are not much over retail in the secondary market. Stop waiting, get it, enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 11:36 PM   #3
NYC2023
"TRF" Member

As much as finally receiving a watch from an AD can be exciting, this is a situation where you should go grey. You have a specific watch in mind that you seem to love. You've saved up for this watch and now are ready to pull the trigger. And, most importantly, as Travis mentioned, prices aren't that much over retail.

Buy from a trusted seller or other reputable source and you'll have your dream watch on your wrist tomorrow. You only live once- buy it and enjoy it! Please post a picture once you have it!
NYC2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:05 AM   #4
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Go grey, if one comes into the AD’s for you, buy and sell that so you end up paying list anyway. Follow me for more financial advice
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:14 AM   #5
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I was eyeballing for a while for a black face EXII. Ended up buying grey.
@ the AD nothing to get… (although I am a regular client)

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:17 AM   #6
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Hedge your bet.

Go grey for now.

If the AD calls you that it is available, pick it up and cash out one of them. If you make a bit of money great. If you lose a bit consider it the rental fee you paid to have the watch on your arm right now
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:18 AM   #7
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
This one, definitely grey. Available at minimal difference vs AD.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:48 AM   #8
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Prices on the Exp2 are not much over retail in the secondary market. Stop waiting, get it, enjoy it.
This ^. The price difference isn't worth a year and two months of your time.
Old 10 February 2023, 12:53 AM   #9
shammad10
"TRF" Member

The price from the AD has gone up twice in the last year and 2 months in the UK! Tine to go grey! You can get one at very minimal difference and the longer you wait the more time and money you waste! Enjoy it!
shammad10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:55 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum.

If you want to buy a watch then do so.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 01:02 AM   #11
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
the explorer2 is relatively easier to get. but if you have not gotten one after 2 years, turn around and check out other ADs if you dont want to pay over MSRP, maybe looking 1-3 months wait.

on the other hand, grey is not much more over retail if you already lost your patience.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 01:35 AM   #12
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds79 View Post
I’ve been in love with the black dial Explorer II for several years. A year and 2 months ago I approached my local AD with my interest in buying one. I’ve followed all the advice about working with an AD: I was specific about what I wanted (black dial Explorer II); I discussed with him in person; I expressed my long-standing interest in watches; I checked back in person every few months (not obnoxious but showing I’m committed); and am clearly not a flipper.

On my visits he tried to direct my interest toward a Tudor. I looked at the Tudor GMT but politely declined. I said the black dial Explorer II is the watch for me and I’ll wait. So I have no buying history with him.

Now, after a year and 2 month I’m coming to the conclusion that I’m simply not going to be offered the watch from him. Maybe he has other clients with a spending history and those are who he contacts when Rolex shipments come in. He’s a salesman trying to sell watches, I get it. But I feel like if I were on his radar and truly at the top of his list for this watch (as he said) I would have this watch by now.

I’ve saved the money for this watch, have wanted it for years and know it’s the watch for me, and am just getting tired of waiting and thinking about it.

Go "grey"

1) The time on your wrist is worth way more than the premium you'll pay

2) The AD "experience" ends the second you walk out the door

3) A "grey" dealer won't make you feel like they are doing you a favour

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 01:37 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Easy answer. Pawn shop.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 02:16 AM   #14
Matt129
"TRF" Member

Life is short my friend and we aren't guaranteed tomorrow. Find a nice full-set grey market example from a trusted seller. Wear it with a smile.
Matt129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 02:21 AM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you can accept the difference in price and trust the seller you can have your Explorer II tomorrow.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 04:21 AM   #16
TheVision
"TRF" Member

I regularly see the new Gen exp2 around $11k for black dial. Polar is more.

Retail is $9650 and with taxes, ya looking at over $10k ...from AD.

For $1k extra, u can go grey and don't have to sell yourself short in front of high school graduates working in a jewelry shop that sells rolex.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 04:33 AM   #17
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post

+ 1.

Not much difference when you consider tax. Plus you can find a mint condition like new for a good price on explorer. Also I feel it’s a buyers market right now so you have room to negotiate.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 04:34 AM   #18
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

So this is a tad risky and not a guarantee of success, but if you really want it from the AD then I'd just buy something. Not too crazy, an Exp II should not need much spending history. But I'd go back in, talk to the guy again, reiterate my interest in the Exp II, and then just pick up a Tudor, maybe a BB Pro if they have it (I've seen them in displays now). Then the next couple of times you visit, make sure you are wearing it, tell them how much you like that style and wearing it has just reinforced your love of the Exp II.

But this is only if you really want to purchase from an AD. I think the above method enhances your chances quite a bit from now, but it's not a guarantee.

And it does build a relationship in case you want other pieces in the future.

However, in general I echo what others are saying and think you should go grey. Premiums are very small on this model. I personally purchased a NOS 216570 with all stickers on it (but no warranty card strangely) from a trusted seller for slightly LESS than MSRP+tax on a brand new 226570.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 04:41 AM   #19
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Time to go grey before you go grey.

You tried. The list of things you did doesn't work for everyone. It's always YMMV.

Should keep going in.

You can also show AD the black dial explorer you got from grey. Say "yeah, it was the same price so i bought it. I waited over a year with you guys and just decided to treat myself because I just love it."

Or you can leave it alone, and try to sell either one.

The game is tough. It's not just the AD holding out. You're competing with everyone else here or in your area who wants one. If nobody else wanted one then you'd get one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds79 View Post

SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 04:55 AM   #20
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Grey, especially if you don't need the current version and want a black dial. I've been on "the list" for about a year now for a white dial, I feel like the AD has been pretty upfront with me about it that they only get 1-2 a year through the store and I'm not at the top of the list, but it's possible with time. I definitely want the 22 series for the wider bracelet so I've been sticking it out while secondary market prices are coming down, and I'd prefer to purchase it in the summer anyway. It's so close to a wash now, I'd be in it ~10.5k with CA taxes. I'm mainly sticking it out now because I'd prefer to purchase in summer anyway, and this same AD has come through for me with the watch I asked for 3 times now, twice just after I purchased the same watch elsewhere. I got lucky with a walk in on vacation just before they called me for a Submariner, then I asked for an SD43 which I passed on, I asked for a DeepSea and they called me literally days after I went grey for that.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 06:20 AM   #21
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Where are people finding their prices? I’m curious where you can find and unworn 226570 for 11K? On my searches they appear to be going for $12K+. That is not a trivial difference.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 06:22 AM   #22
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
So this is a tad risky and not a guarantee of success, but if you really want it from the AD then I'd just buy something. Not too crazy, an Exp II should not need much spending history. But I'd go back in, talk to the guy again, reiterate my interest in the Exp II, and then just pick up a Tudor, maybe a BB Pro if they have it (I've seen them in displays now). Then the next couple of times you visit, make sure you are wearing it, tell them how much you like that style and wearing it has just reinforced your love of the Exp II.

But this is only if you really want to purchase from an AD. I think the above method enhances your chances quite a bit from now, but it's not a guarantee.

And it does build a relationship in case you want other pieces in the future.

However, in general I echo what others are saying and think you should go grey. Premiums are very small on this model. I personally purchased a NOS 216570 with all stickers on it (but no warranty card strangely) from a trusted seller for slightly LESS than MSRP+tax on a brand new 226570.

I would think that no warranty card on a 6 digit Rolex would decrease the value of the watch considerably. Not a concern if you’re keeping it. But definitely affects the price you’ll pay.

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 06:39 AM   #23
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Go Grey and be happy.. Great timepiece!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 03:04 PM   #24
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
I’d try talking to the AD again and see if you can get an actual answer on wether you will actually get the watch or not. Or try a couple different AD’s. I drive 5 hours one way sometimes to pop into this certain Ben Bridge AD. And funny enough I’m also waiting for my first Rolex Explorer II black dial. Good luck my friend
Big Kahuna 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 07:51 PM   #25
StanCho
"TRF" Member

If you go grey, I'd go for a 21 BD series as the 22 BD does not have ghost/phantom hands... they are not executed that great (colour transition) if you use macro lens but overall look cool. :)
StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 08:12 PM   #26
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardus View Post
I was eyeballing for a while for a black face EXII. Ended up buying grey.
@ the AD nothing to get… (although I am a regular client)
Gorgeous piece, well done mate, one of my favourite watches
Old 11 February 2023, 07:33 AM   #27
bds79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Thanks for the advice. I like the way you all think!
bds79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 07:54 AM   #28
DD58
"TRF" Member

I went gray and mistakenly wore it to see my AD Alan’s of course he noticed and I’m sure I’m off the list. Sad part is my wife wanted the one from the AD of it ever comes. She wears mine more than I do.

DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 08:36 AM   #29
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD58 View Post
I went gray and mistakenly wore it to see my AD Alan’s of course he noticed and I’m sure I’m off the list. Sad part is my wife wanted the one from the AD of it ever comes. She wears mine more than I do.
Yeah never wear your Grey-purchased watches to the AD - only the Omega you bought while climbing the mythical Relationship Ladder!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 12:28 PM   #30
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Only 14 months waiting? That’s nothing. Some chump posted recently about waiting 5 years, for a GMT I think, and still has diddly squat. Just keep waiting, wasting time checking in with that SA, bringing fine whiskey and chocolates, and hoping, hoping.

Or get it tomorrow on the grey market.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote