The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2016, 06:18 AM   #1
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
What time does your moonphase change over?

Hey all,

Just curious what model of Patek you have and what time does your moonphase click over at?

The reason I ask is, a friend of mine has a 5726 which switches over in the mid morning, while my 5712 switches over around 10pm in the evening.

It would seem to make sense that it switches over earlier in the day vs the evening, so I'm curious what others do.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 June 2016, 06:22 AM   #2
tinygears
"TRF" Member

Interesting question. I have two with moon phases, and have never noted when (or if) a daily change occurs.
tinygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 06:39 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

Jamie, did you and/or he set your moonphases at the same time of day?
In other words, using the pusher tool, did you do yours in the late evening, and he did his mid-morning?
That’s about the only reason for the difference I can think of.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
Hey all,

Just curious what model of Patek you have and what time does your moonphase click over at?

The reason I ask is, a friend of mine has a 5726 which switches over in the mid morning, while my 5712 switches over around 10pm in the evening.

It would seem to make sense that it switches over earlier in the day vs the evening, so I'm curious what others do.

Thanks all!

The Patek 3940 and 5140 (same mechanism) begin the moonphase change around 10pm. I would suspect that this would be uniform among the Patek moonphase watches but can't confirm.

Changing over the moonphase during the day actually would make less sense. During the day is when you rely on the moonphase indicator. At night you can simply look up at the real thing.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 07:22 AM   #5
tinygears
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
The Patek 3940 and 5140 (same mechanism) begin the moonphase change around 10pm. I would suspect that this would be uniform among the Patek moonphase watches but can't confirm.

Changing over the moonphase during the day actually would make less sense. During the day is when you rely on the moonphase indicator. At night you can simply look up at the real thing.
Just thinking about this more clearly, using a pusher to advance would be in daily increments.

Great question.
tinygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygears View Post
Just thinking about this more clearly, using a pusher to advance would be in daily increments.

Great question.
Just clarify, the advancement of the moon phase typically changes each day at about 9-10pm with a click, not a gradual movement.

If you do need to make adjustments with the stylus, you should get in a habit of setting the time at 6:00am and only at that time before making any quick change adjustments to the movement.
Old 19 June 2016, 07:46 AM   #7
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

I know for a fact that the 5726 is designed to change between 9-11AM (it's even in the manual), so the moon phase time isn't universal across the Patek line.
Old 19 June 2016, 08:04 AM   #8
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
I know for a fact that the 5726 is designed to change between 9-11AM (it's even in the manual), so the moon phase time isn't universal across the Patek line.
Good to know. Thanks!
I wonder if it's a difference between the AC and the PC?
Old 19 June 2016, 08:13 AM   #9
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Just a follow up on this excellent question - I have a Lange 1 moon phase and I believe the moon phase moves continuously rather than a single/couple of movements a day. Do all Pateks with Moonphases only move a single/couple of movements a day?

Thanks!
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 09:33 AM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Erroneous info – deleted.
Old 19 June 2016, 09:41 AM   #11
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
It might be worth the pair of you doing this at a similar time, and then checking if you’re both in sync or still way out of sync.
If the former, then I was correct – if the latter, then it must be something to do with how each movement is assembled.
Looks like there’s a full moon tomorrow (20th).

It has to do with assembly vs the time you adjust it. The 5726's manual very clearly states the time of day the moonphase will move ahead.

If I manually adjust the time of my watch (5712) ahead, there's a very clear click of the moonphase just after 10pm. It's certainly not a gradual movement. Clicks over just like the date.

Old 19 June 2016, 10:02 AM   #12
PJ S
Banned

^
Sorry, I got confused with Tony’s post about the shared 240 movement in the 3940 and 5140.

Now that I’m on the right page, your friend’s 5726 (324) is changing position correctly – during 9-11 am, as the manual indicates.
Old 19 June 2016, 01:04 PM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
i was always told they changed around 9-10AM, but never really checked, it's not so easy to see as the date change
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 05:48 PM   #14
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Both my 5146 and 5396 will click at about 10:45 am
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 05:53 PM   #15
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just clarify, the advancement of the moon phase typically changes each day at about 9-10pm with a click, not a gradual movement.

If you do need to make adjustments with the stylus, you should get in a habit of setting the time at 6:00am and only at that time before making any quick change adjustments to the movement.
Can I safely adjust the moonphase b/t 2-5 PM? Or do I need to wake up at 6 AM to adjust the MP on my AC?.. The MP on my watch is ahead of the moon cycle by one day as I type. I need to push the MP button 30X. If I advance the hands to 6 AM the day/date will get screw up...
Old 19 June 2016, 10:51 PM   #16
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
Can I safely adjust the moonphase b/t 2-5 PM? Or do I need to wake up at 6 AM to adjust the MP on my AC?.. The MP on my watch is ahead of the moon cycle by one day as I type. I need to push the MP button 30X. If I advance the hands to 6 AM the day/date will get screw up...
The cal 324 on your AC has a date change mechanism that is active between the hours of 8pm to 2am and a moonphase that changes between 9 to 11am.

You should not use the stylus to make any chages during those times.

On the PC (cal 240) you should not change any calendar functions between 3pm and 2am.

6am is always regarded as a "safe" time to make changes whether AC or PC, and helps to keep it simple. Also remember that if the watch has stopped, you must wind it first before making any changes.

Keeping all that in mind, I'm sure you can see why my PC stays on a winder when off the wrist for more than a day or two.
Old 20 June 2016, 04:01 AM   #17
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
The cal 324 on your AC has a date change mechanism that is active between the hours of 8pm to 2am and a moonphase that changes between 9 to 11am.

On the PC (cal 240) you should not change any calendar functions between 3pm and 2am.

6am is always regarded as a "safe" time to make changes whether AC or PC, and helps to keep it simple. Also remember that if the watch has stopped, you must wind it first before making any changes.

Keeping all that in mind, I'm sure you can see why my PC stays on a winder when off the wrist for more than a day or two.

This is excellent insight.

Personally, as it relates to the winder for my automatic PC, I no longer use one. If it winds down and it's only a few days behind, I will just wind the watch forward those few days and everything adjusts accordingly. If it's more than a few days, then I take my time adjusting it and enjoy that part of owning a Patek PC. 🍻
Old 20 June 2016, 05:58 AM   #18
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Tony64;6795575]The cal 324 on your AC has a date change mechanism that is active between the hours of 8pm to 2am and a moonphase that changes between 9 to 11am.

/QUOTE]
Not so simple b/c the MP will auto advance at about 10:30 am...

I.e..tomorrow (20) will be a full moon day. I can adjust the watch at 6 AM to show full moon,but the MP will auto advance at 10:30 AM which in this case the MP will be one day ahead of the moon cycle. It would be much easier to adjust the MP during the late afternoon hrs . My watch is showing full moon today. I would like to adjust the MP tomorrow afternoon to show full moon, but IDK if it is safe or not..
Old 20 June 2016, 08:57 AM   #19
PJ S
Banned

^
Set your moonphase between 12-2pm, then, if it’s not correctly displaying at 11am.
Simple really.
Old 20 June 2016, 09:38 AM   #20
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^
Set your moonphase between 12-2pm, then, if it’s not correctly displaying at 11am.
Simple really.
I know it will be correct if I set it during the late afternoon, but is it safe to set it b/t 2- 4PM?..
Old 20 June 2016, 10:00 AM   #21
PJ S
Banned

Yes, the date mechanism of both your 324 calibers doesn’t start activating until 8pm.
So, any time between 12 and 7pm should be fine to make sure all complications are in sync and correct.

You do know all this is in your owner manuals, wherever you’ve put them/the boxes, or as a pdf you can save to your tablet/phone/computer?

http://www.patek.com/pdf/instruction...24_S_QA_LU.pdf
http://www.patek.com/pdf/instruction..._QA_LU_24H.pdf
Old 20 June 2016, 10:45 AM   #22
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, the date mechanism of both your 324 calibers doesn’t start activating until 8pm.
So, any time between 12 and 7pm should be fine to make sure all complications are in sync and correct.

You do know all this is in your owner manuals, wherever you’ve put them/the boxes, or as a pdf you can save to your tablet/phone/computer?

http://www.patek.com/pdf/instruction...24_S_QA_LU.pdf
http://www.patek.com/pdf/instruction..._QA_LU_24H.pdf
Thanks for the information, Yes, I'd have the owner's manuals, but just not sure about adjusting the MP during the late afternoon.
Old 20 June 2016, 11:58 AM   #23
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

My 240 manual doesn't mention anything about the moon phase time. It does say that I can safely adjust the date/moon phase between 1AM and 9PM though.