The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 April 2023, 07:39 AM   #1
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
The odds of buying a counterfeit Rolex?

I have been waiting for 15 months to purchase my first Rolex (Explorer II black dial) from an AD.

Members keep repeating to just buy on the grey market and be done with it.
At this point I almost wouldn’t mind buying grey if I only had to pay $1-$2k over retail.

My biggest fear is buying a counterfeit Rolex and not being able to tell. There’s articles all over the internet about how good the deep fakes are and even experienced watch enthusiasts not being able to tell the difference. There’s fake watches, fake cards/papers, fake boxes, fake profiles, there’s just way too many freaking scammers all over the internet.

Even with “trusted sellers”. They could easily be sold a deep fake and resell it to someone like me that couldn’t tell the difference.

That is the #1 reason I only want to buy from an AD although I do also want the personal experience, sizing, etc.

There’s lots of threads with people having terrible experiences buying online, etc. and I want to avoid all that.

I did buy a Tudor Pelagos that got me into the hobby and keeps me happy for the time being.

Any advice?
Big Kahuna 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 07:45 AM   #2
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
I have bought and sold a number of Rolexes through the internet. When in doubt send to Rolex for service. That will clear things up. It’s worth the $500-800 for peace of mind and protecting your investment.

That being said, my first choice is always through an AD.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 07:47 AM   #3
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Nothing is full proof. I have bought from MVV Watches, Tropical Watch, Boxer Time (Briboxer), “lawrenceB, and DavidSW. There are quite a few more reputable sellers in the who’s who. You have to go on seller reputation and to repeat a forum favorite…buy the seller, none of these regular sellers want to tarnish their name/reputation. If you’re into legacy pieces it’s your only option.
rushca01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 08:47 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If going grey is going to (understandably) fill you with anxiety and doubt, rather than the feelings that usually come with buying a first Rolex, then don't do it. Just wait.
Old 19 April 2023, 08:56 AM   #5
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If going grey is going to (understandably) fill you with anxiety and doubt, rather than the feelings that usually come with buying a first Rolex, then don't do it. Just wait.
Right. For myself, I have used trusted sellers and am pretty confident in the ones I use. The forum wouldn’t consider them “trusted” if they sold a fake. The first time a buyer sent one to RSC they’d be found out.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 09:07 AM   #6
the_uptowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: ticks tick tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 0311 View Post
I have been waiting for 15 months to purchase my first Rolex (Explorer II black dial) from an AD.

At this point I almost wouldn’t mind buying grey if I only had to pay $1-$2k over retail.

My biggest fear is buying a counterfeit Rolex and not being able to tell. There’s articles all over the internet about how good the deep fakes are and even experienced watch enthusiasts not being able to tell the difference. There’s fake watches, fake cards/papers, fake boxes, fake profiles, there’s just way too many freaking scammers all over the internet.

Even with “trusted sellers”. They could easily be sold a deep fake and resell it to someone like me that couldn’t tell the difference.

That is the #1 reason I only want to buy from an AD although I do also want the personal experience, sizing, etc.

There’s lots of threads with people having terrible experiences buying online, etc. and I want to avoid all that.

I did buy a Tudor Pelagos that got me into the hobby and keeps me happy for the time being.

Any advice?

im FULLY with you.

sometimes i play with a thought of buying a rarer version of my favorite watch on a gray market / at a professional vintage watch store, but i never really so far made it... im simply scared to be scammed, to be sold a fake, to be sold something which may be stops working in a week...

its unpleasant to realize: here is a watch and docs-box, etc - but EVEN if they are real, still you will never *know* for a fact its history, what and when has been altered in it, which parts are still original and which are not, etc.

Then there are many "repairs" i personally do not like to see on old watches, especially poorly made reluming jobs (when you see the unevenly reapplied paint on old divers or overpainted numerals on old explorers)

its sad because actually many of my favourie models of rolex watches are 4 digits watches...

♛ 126610LN / ⛉ still searching
the_uptowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 09:39 AM   #7
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Gotta do what works for you.

I just stick with well-vetted trusted resellers, and don’t stress. Have never had an issue and know if I did they’d make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 12:51 PM   #8
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Just throwing this out there because I don’t really know but, it would seem to me that even the best fakes wouldn’t be regulated to Rolex COSC standard. So wouldn’t setting your watch to the second by your phone clock, then giving it 24hrs to see how off it is be a great (and fairly quick) way to test for a fake?

This probably wouldn’t work well for 4 or 5 digit but at least modern pieces… I could be completely wrong though!

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 02:18 PM   #9
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

I sincerely thank every one of you for responding.
Many good ideas/points. Looks like others are also weary of buying online but also looks like many have bought through trusted sellers and not had any issues.
Again, thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate you.
Old 19 April 2023, 05:07 PM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
DavidSW
Takuya
Sohais
Briboxer
Justrolexes
Oc watch

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 05:56 PM   #11
Mdpaint
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 gmt
Ive bought several watches online feom dealers and private sellers. Always know what youre buying in advance and in person handovers and had no issues

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Mdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 09:34 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As a new buyer on the internet I can understand some trepidation on the part of the OP. With that said, the chances of getting a fake watch from one of our large Trusted Sellers is almost non-existent. The Sellers are running multi-million dollar businesses based on their reputations and the ability to deliver real watches. DavidSW is my go to seller but I have bought from all of the larger Trusted Sellers without an issue. Why not get on the websites of the sellers, look around and find the watch you want. Get on the phone and have a conversation about the watch. You can negotiate and see where you end up price wise. Pay for the watch, have it the next day by lunch and start the ownership experience. If you have questions come back to TRF and ask. We have some very knowledgeable members who are more than willing to help. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 11:43 PM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I understand your trepidation. The reports of superfakes worry new buyers who wish to move forward without the wait.

There is a method I recommend that virtually guarantees a no-risk purchase.

First, you should limit your sellers to TRF Boutiques. And then pare that list down to only those who will guarantee a refund if either it wasn’t “as described” or if the RSC cites the Watch as a replica.

Next, change your budget perspective - it will cost much more than a grand over MSRP.

Then, buy the watch.

If it ticks all your boxes for condition, and was accurately described, go to the final step. (If not, use the “as described” refund route)

Finally, send to RSC for a quote on a full service. If it’s fake, you’ll know within a couple of weeks. If not, you’ll be given a quote for a service which will get you a virtually new-looking Rolex.

99% of the time (my SWAG), TRF Boutique deals are authentic. But the final step gives you peace of. Ind and a new looking watch with a 2-yr Rolex guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 08:25 AM   #14
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

Exactly.
Old 21 April 2023, 07:28 AM   #15
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

The odds of a trusted seller mistakingly selling you a counterfeit and not making it right are pretty much 0. Their reputation is all they have, if their reputation gets tarnished then their business and livelihood is done. I’ve never worried about it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 12:01 PM   #16
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
That’s why we have trusted sellers in the forum.The price may be little bit high.You will get a real Rolex not a fake.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2023, 06:40 AM   #17
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

The risk of not being able to identify a fake by an experienced Rolex dealer is very low. The whole "deep fake" hype is mostly YouTube/Internet clickbait. Every one I have seen, even some of the $1000+ ones, are pretty obvious. Remember, those that are pushing deep fake narratives have a vested interest in you being scared to deal with their competition, like private sellers. Follow the money.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 03:09 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Odds go way up with a Daytona or Submariner. Explorer II, some risk but not nearly as bad. Good news is most reputable sellers can identify a fake easily. Problem is fakes get better and better.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 04:10 AM   #19
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Odds go way up with a Daytona or Submariner. Explorer II, some risk but not nearly as bad. Good news is most reputable sellers can identify a fake easily. Problem is fakes get better and better.

I could be wrong but Explorer II seem harder to fake assuming you can see it in person due to jumping hand and GMT functions.
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 08:29 PM   #20
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I bought the same model grey and shared your concerns. It’s never perfect but I took a few precautions which was the best I could think up:
1) I bought a watch that came with every bit of paperwork and accessory and even the original AD purchase receipt (4 days old).
2) I bought from a reseller with a 30 year solid reputation and no negative feedback.
3) I checked the watch in person to the best of my (amateur) ability including google checks on serial number etc.
4) I checked the fakes market prior to purchase and found one issue even the best ones had in common. I checked mine didn’t have the same issue; and finally
5) used a credit card so that any doubts at all, I could get it professionally checked and still initiate a chargeback if any problems with any of the above…
You can minimise your risk - just makes the hunt a bit longer to tick all the boxes.
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 04:55 AM   #21
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 0311 View Post

Any advice?
I would just wait it out, but if you really really want it, you could go through Rolex Certified Preowned; you will pay more, but you can be assured that the watch is authentic.
Sunny_Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 11:42 AM   #22
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for your advice, this is a great forum I’m grateful to be a part of.
Mr. Ben thank you.