The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 28 April 2023, 06:11 PM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Sbge255

Strongly considering this blue GS diver with spring drive, or the black variant.

Can any owners chime in with their experience?

Also thinking about the larger 44mm GS divers as I love the bezels…but not a fan of 44mm. Any other reason to consider these ?
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2023, 01:56 AM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Love my 253. Had it for about 16 months and still really enjoy it and wear it regularly. I wanted a travel watch GMT that had just enough dressiness to be worn in all situations while traveling. Just got back from a cruise last month where I wore it exclusively. It is at home with bathing suits and flip flops, but also does just fine dressed up at dinner. It is by far the most accurate watch I've ever owned. I think the size is just about right. The dial and case are exquisite. It is comfortable to wear, and thankfully it does have micro adjustability which has been a big knock on GS for a while.

As for the SBGE255. I tried it on and it is striking in blue. I wound up going with the black because #1 it is a little more versitile, #2 I already had a blue sports watch, and #3 it was cheaper on the secondary market.

I have tried all three colors on and they are all beautiful. Can't go wrong with any of them. I would strongly suggest this one over any of their 44mm GMTs. They are all nice watches, just too damn big!

Here's my thread from when I first bought it if you want to see some pics and further commentary.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=837349

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2023, 11:49 PM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Love my 253. Had it for about 16 months and still really enjoy it and wear it regularly. I wanted a travel watch GMT that had just enough dressiness to be worn in all situations while traveling. Just got back from a cruise last month where I wore it exclusively. It is at home with bathing suits and flip flops, but also does just fine dressed up at dinner. It is by far the most accurate watch I've ever owned. I think the size is just about right. The dial and case are exquisite. It is comfortable to wear, and thankfully it does have micro adjustability which has been a big knock on GS for a while.

As for the SBGE255. I tried it on and it is striking in blue. I wound up going with the black because #1 it is a little more versitile, #2 I already had a blue sports watch, and #3 it was cheaper on the secondary market.

I have tried all three colors on and they are all beautiful. Can't go wrong with any of them. I would strongly suggest this one over any of their 44mm GMTs. They are all nice watches, just too damn big!

Here's my thread from when I first bought it if you want to see some pics and further commentary.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=837349

Great, thank you! I ended up pulling the trigger and the watch *should* be here on Friday.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 12:06 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Great, thank you! I ended up pulling the trigger and the watch *should* be here on Friday.
Awesome! Looking forward to the incoming thread

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 11:37 PM   #5
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Sbge255

I owned the black dial SBGE253 and the 44mm SBGJ237 on a leather strap.

I tried on all 3 colours and it was a toss up between the green and black dial for me. Ended up with black because it looked far more versatile and it was cheaper than green on the preowned market.

Both great watches. Surprisingly, my hi-beat SBGJ237 (-1/day when worn and +1 when left dial up overnight) would, with regulation, keep better time than my spring drive SBGE253 (+0.5/day)

Often hear watch enthusiasts knocking GS for the thickness of its watches.

I never noticed the thickness when I actually wore them. It just doesn’t look thick on the wrist because of the lug curvature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 12:46 AM   #6
FlyinHawaiian
"TRF" Member

Watch: This! 🍻
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikolexguy View Post
I owned the black dial SBGE253 and the 44mm SBGJ237 on a leather strap.

I never noticed the thickness when I actually wore them. It just doesn’t look thick on the wrist because of the lug curvature.

Do you have any side view pics on your wrist?
FlyinHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 01:40 AM   #7
Av8or3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I owned the sbge255 for a little over a year. I enjoyed the watch quite a bit. It had a beautiful blue dial, it was very comfortable on the wrist and was incredibly accurate.While it was on the thicker side, I never really noticed it. It also didn't look as thick when being worn. I owned a Tudor GMT and, to me, it wore smaller than that. You could tell that it was finished to a very high level. My biggest gripe about the watch was the bracelet and clasp. It didn't quite have the heft that I was accustomed to on Swiss watches. The clasp felt totally out of place for a watch of such quality. I ended up falling out of love with it and got rid of it. Fortunately, I purchased mine pre-owned and wasn't out much money when I moved it on. When I was looking, there was little if any discount on new ones and they depreciate rather significantly.
Av8or3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:52 AM   #8
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Do you have any side view pics on your wrist?

Only one I have.

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 03:34 AM   #9
Titleistek
"TRF" Member

Beauty
Titleistek is offline   Reply With Quote