The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2013, 11:57 AM   #301
JohnFM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 Explorer
Chris,

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the benefits of buying an Omega (or other watch, such as a Rolex) from an Authorized Dealer as opposed to a grey market dealer.

While both offer blank (or stamped?) warranty cards, only an AD can provide both the warranty card and receipt confirming purchase from an AD. Does this matter when one goes to have a watch serviced under warranty?

I would imagine that another benefit of purchasing from an AD is that there is 'some' level of confidence that the product came directly from Omega or Rolex, as opposed to from another jeweler. But I admit to knowing very little about the actual source of merchandise for both ADs and grey market sellers.

Thanks for any insights you are able to provide.
John
JohnFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2013, 07:32 PM   #302
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Hi Chris, how are you? not been on the forum so much recently so congrats on your new job. Question re DSSD. to what depth do local ad's pressure test to? can you replace the seals on them or always back to Rolex uk? If used for offshore diving how often would you recommend a service. Just sent my 3 year old one back after fogging issues and bezel rotating both ways. Feel a watch of this expense and engineering should be able to withstand offshore lifestyle a bit better! Would it be worth getting it tested every year at local ad?
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2013, 12:29 AM   #303
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Chris,

Again, this thread is a great read.

What is your opinion of the new Speedmaster with the 9300 movement? Is the 9300 movement in the same league as the movements offered by Rolex or the Breitling Calibre 01?

I'm not trying to turn this into a Rolex vs Omega discussion. The new Speedmaster with the 9300 movement intrigues me, but Omega went up significantly on the price as compared with the Speedmaster Professional and I'm trying to figure out if that price difference is worth it for me.

Thanks.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 09:38 AM   #304
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Chris,

Any opinion regarding comparison between Tudor Glamour Double Date and Omega Aqua Terra? Not able yet to investigate Tudor in US market. Thanks for any comments you can offer.
Old 5 June 2013, 09:54 AM   #305
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
As far as I know, no, I don't think it would be appropriate. Saying that, though, the other new guy was wearing a JLC Reverso, very nice piece
Excuse my ignorance. Why they won't let you wear your Rolex at work? Thanks Chris!
HRFdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 11:24 AM   #306
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRFdez View Post
Excuse my ignorance. Why they won't let you wear your Rolex at work? Thanks Chris!
Probably because it's an Omega store.
Old 6 June 2013, 05:42 PM   #307
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACURATL View Post
Hi Chris,
Have you ever heard of an Authorized Dealer having to close shop because their lease ended or that another developer came in and bought the land to build something else on it, resulting in the closure? What happens to the store?

I read on one of the posts here that they generally try to liquidate their inventory at discounted prices. If this is true, what would be the average discounted price for a Rolex?

Thank you.
I haven't heard of one where the lease has ended, but generally speaking, the stock is liquidated. Sometimes Rolex will buy back the stock to avoid a fire sale, but most of the time they will be discounted. As for the price, that depends entirely on the AD and how much money they want to make

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 05:43 PM   #308
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Congrats on the Omega boutique position Chris.
Thanks Paul
Old 6 June 2013, 05:50 PM   #309
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin1992 View Post
You sound just like me Chris. I was working in my local Ad for a few months P/T but, like you I needed a full time position so am working in another retail sector until I can get back to my first love, watches.

At my AD there was a Rolex-trained watchmaker so I was able to get my Explorer II serviced for £180 instead of around £500. A great guy. What was funny was that I brought the Rolex a few years before from another local AD and when my watchmaker opened it he told me had already serviced the watch once before! He did a lot of work around the area for the local AD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin1992 View Post
Oh and great to hear you are back in the trade at Omega, I should pop up to London to have my Speedy moon serviced by you :) I lived in Hillingdon most of my life so not too far away.

I think if I had to make a choice, as much as I love my Explorer II and it has been the most amazing watch for me. I would always choose the Speedy Moon watch. Just something special about that baby when I put it on.
Always nice to meet someone who's been in the trade! If the opportunity arises, take the chance to come back to the watch industry It's always handy when you have your friendly local watchmaker on your side, that's one thing I don't have at this store unfortunately!

Pop in and say hello sometime, and I'll sort out your Speedmaster for you - have to agree, it really is a special watch, mine has barely been off my wrist since I've had it!

Chris
Old 6 June 2013, 05:52 PM   #310
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
Chris

I am happy for you! You have to love your job or it becomes a chore - not a profession.

There's the old saying - love your job and you'll never have to work a day in your life
Old 6 June 2013, 05:52 PM   #311
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Well folks, I have some news - I'm back in the biz! However, I have gone over to the "dark side" and will be working at an Omega Boutique in London. It's a great opportunity, and it's going to be brilliant to be doing what I do best - selling watches, and being a watch geek

Like they say on Shark Tank: You're dead to me.

Congrats on the new position.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 05:59 PM   #312
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Chris

Thanks for all the great information. I've really enjoyed reading this thread and learned a lot.

My wife gave me a black dial SS Daytona as a gift about a month ago, so I'm new to Rolex and TRF. I just wanted to say that this is a great forum and that all the folks on here seem to be first class people, which I appreciate and is a refreshing change from other forums I've seen.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Chris,

Again, this thread is a great read.

What is your opinion of the new Speedmaster with the 9300 movement? Is the 9300 movement in the same league as the movements offered by Rolex or the Breitling Calibre 01?

I'm not trying to turn this into a Rolex vs Omega discussion. The new Speedmaster with the 9300 movement intrigues me, but Omega went up significantly on the price as compared with the Speedmaster Professional and I'm trying to figure out if that price difference is worth it for me.

Thanks.
Glad you're enjoying the thread, and welcome to the forum

I think if we're looking solely at movements, there is a compelling case for the cal. 9300. A four year guarantee, up to 10 year service intervals, and a rather elegant alternative to the standard three dial chronograph. I like the symmetry of the two dial layout, and the date seems better integrated into the design rather than an afterthought like with most date chronographs. With the jump hour hand feature, it can also be used as a GMT, using the hour and minute counter as reference time. I would argue that the 9300 is at least the equal of the cal. 4130 or B-01 in terms of quality, offers more features, and is finished to a higher standard. As a product, the cal. 9300 Speedmaster is a truly stunning piece, I certainly think its a better all-rounder than the steel Daytona

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 6 June 2013, 06:10 PM   #313
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
Chris,

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the benefits of buying an Omega (or other watch, such as a Rolex) from an Authorized Dealer as opposed to a grey market dealer.

While both offer blank (or stamped?) warranty cards, only an AD can provide both the warranty card and receipt confirming purchase from an AD. Does this matter when one goes to have a watch serviced under warranty?

I would imagine that another benefit of purchasing from an AD is that there is 'some' level of confidence that the product came directly from Omega or Rolex, as opposed to from another jeweler. But I admit to knowing very little about the actual source of merchandise for both ADs and grey market sellers.

Thanks for any insights you are able to provide.
John
Hi John,

There are absolutely a lot of highly trustworthy resellers of luxury watches, but there also a lot of scammers out there. Buy the seller is the mantra you need, and you really need to do your homework before. Sometimes there can be issues with warranties if they haven't been filled in correctly, and sometimes it can be argued that if a third party has interfered, the warranty becomes invalid. I don't know how often this can be proved in reality, but it is in the warranty paperwork. Buying from an AD gives you an additional safety net as they can proved you bought your watch from them on a certain date, so if, for example, you misplace your guarantee card, they can cross check the serial number against their system and ensure your watch is worked on under guarantee if there is a problem.

As for supply, any reputable reseller will have a legitimate source of watches - however, again, if you don't do your research properly, you could find yourself with a watch with a less than savoury past. With an AD, you can absolutely guarantee that it has come directly from the manufacturer with no third party. Again, it's an additional safety net

The way I look at it, the grey market can offer a great deal, but an AD will always give you the most protection

Chris
Old 6 June 2013, 06:19 PM   #314
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanaut View Post
Hi Chris, how are you? not been on the forum so much recently so congrats on your new job. Question re DSSD. to what depth do local ad's pressure test to? can you replace the seals on them or always back to Rolex uk? If used for offshore diving how often would you recommend a service. Just sent my 3 year old one back after fogging issues and bezel rotating both ways. Feel a watch of this expense and engineering should be able to withstand offshore lifestyle a bit better! Would it be worth getting it tested every year at local ad?
Hi Si, good to hear from you! I'm very well thanks, really enjoying being back in the trade, hope you're well too

As a general rule, local watchmakers only have the equipment to test to 300m water resistance as a maximum - only Rolex themselves have the necessary equipment to test to the full depth pressure on a DSSD. Usually if a diving watch is being used professionally, I would recommend a pressure check every year - the difficulty with the Deepsea is that you can only get the full pressure check as part of a service with Rolex, and that would start getting extremely expensive if done every year. As a result, most local watchmakers won't touch a Deepsea.

I'm disappointed that you've had problems with your Deepsea, I agree that it should be better for professional use - I don't think the watch has really been designed with professional divers in mind, despite Rolex's advertising campaigns to the contrary!

Hope you can get it sorted out,

Chris
Old 6 June 2013, 06:22 PM   #315
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Chris,

Any opinion regarding comparison between Tudor Glamour Double Date and Omega Aqua Terra? Not able yet to investigate Tudor in US market. Thanks for any comments you can offer.
Assuming we are talking about the cal. 8500 Aqua Terra, the Omega is in a completely different league to the Tudor in this case. Movement, fit, finish, it's almost a bit unfair to compare the two watches! A fairer comparison would be Datejust vs. Aqua Terra, in which case, I would argue that the Omega still wins comfortably

Chris
Old 6 June 2013, 06:24 PM   #316
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRFdez View Post
It wouldn't be appropriate to be wearing (and promoting) a watch from Omega's biggest rival. No watch or an Omega is the way to go. To be fair, though, I haven't even felt like wearing my Datejust recently, I've barely had my Speedmaster off my wrist this year

Chris
Old 6 June 2013, 06:25 PM   #317
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Like they say on Shark Tank: You're dead to me.

Congrats on the new position.
Thanks Mon!
Old 6 June 2013, 07:00 PM   #318
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Glad you got back into the watch retail again Chris don't matter the brand, and agree with your quote. There's the old saying - love your job and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 03:03 AM   #319
Boothroyd

Quote:
Assuming we are talking about the cal. 8500 Aqua Terra, the Omega is in a completely different league to the Tudor in this case. Movement, fit, finish, it's almost a bit unfair to compare the two watches! A fairer comparison would be Datejust vs. Aqua Terra, in which case, I would argue that the Omega still wins comfortably

Chris
Thanks as always, Chris! Good luck in the new position!
Old 7 June 2013, 03:45 AM   #320
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Probably because it's an Omega store.
Ohhhhhhhh
Old 7 June 2013, 03:46 AM   #321
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It wouldn't be appropriate to be wearing (and promoting) a watch from Omega's biggest rival. No watch or an Omega is the way to go. To be fair, though, I haven't even felt like wearing my Datejust recently, I've barely had my Speedmaster off my wrist this year

Chris

Makes sense Chirs, I missed that part of your new job

Thx
Old 7 June 2013, 04:31 AM   #322
ACURATL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I haven't heard of one where the lease has ended, but generally speaking, the stock is liquidated. Sometimes Rolex will buy back the stock to avoid a fire sale, but most of the time they will be discounted. As for the price, that depends entirely on the AD and how much money they want to make

Chris
Thanks Chris. I think the chances of liquidation is rare as to preserve the exclusiveness of the brand. I know for a fact that Louis Vuitton destroys (cuts up) their excess inventory with the VP of production to sign off as a witness so the inventory doesn't diminish the value of the brand.

Very helpful.

Thanks!
ACURATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 04:44 AM   #323
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACURATL View Post
Thanks Chris. I think the chances of liquidation is rare as to preserve the exclusiveness of the brand. I know for a fact that Louis Vuitton destroys (cuts up) their excess inventory with the VP of production to sign off as a witness so the inventory doesn't diminish the value of the brand.

Very helpful.

Thanks!
I doubt it happens very often anyway that a lost lease causes a liquidation. If the business is profitable they would simply move if they cannot reach agreement with their current landlord. No need to liquidate the inventory or go out of business over a lease. Most of the Rolex liquidations I've seen have come from losing the Rolex franchise. I suppose there have been some others simply due to the business losing money and not surviving.
Old 7 June 2013, 05:29 AM   #324
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Chris
What Omega are you wearing at work these days or do you get a promo one to wear?
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 06:16 AM   #325
ACURATL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I doubt it happens very often anyway that a lost lease causes a liquidation. If the business is profitable they would simply move if they cannot reach agreement with their current landlord. No need to liquidate the inventory or go out of business over a lease. Most of the Rolex liquidations I've seen have come from losing the Rolex franchise. I suppose there have been some others simply due to the business losing money and not surviving.
What would cause an AD to lose their license to operate a franchisee? Perhaps over discounting or unethical business practices?
ACURATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 07:33 AM   #326
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
What Omega are you wearing at work these days or do you get a promo one to wear?
I'm wearing my trusty Speedmaster Pro, and I have a cal. 8500 De Ville on strap on its way to me soon
Old 7 June 2013, 08:41 AM   #327
Boothroyd

Chris, that brings up an interesting question. All the buzz (8500 series movement) is around the Aqua Terra and PO. The De Ville on a strap has caught my eye as well. Same jump hour function, and works. It may function a bit better as a dress/work watch than AT is my thinking. Yours also?
Old 8 June 2013, 12:41 PM   #328
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
Quote:
I'm wearing my trusty Speedmaster Pro, and I have a cal. 8500 De Ville on strap on its way to me soon
Which dial colour did you go for ??
Old 10 June 2013, 06:21 AM   #329
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Chris, that brings up an interesting question. All the buzz (8500 series movement) is around the Aqua Terra and PO. The De Ville on a strap has caught my eye as well. Same jump hour function, and works. It may function a bit better as a dress/work watch than AT is my thinking. Yours also?
Hi Daniel,

Yes, I think the De Ville is perfect for wear with a suit - I don't think it works as well casually compared to the Aqua Terra, but it is so classic, I can forgive it

Chris
Old 10 June 2013, 06:22 AM   #330
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfor View Post
Which dial colour did you go for ??
Black Roman