The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 24 March 2023, 03:56 AM   #1
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Has anyone bought off eBay recently?

I'm currently purchasing a Rolex off a seller on eBay and I'm trying to decide if it's worth doing the deal on eBay and using their Authenticity Guarantee service or just doing it directly with the seller and taking it somewhere to get authenticated myself once I receive it. Anyone have feedback? This is for a $45k purchase. Thanks!
BriansRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 03:58 AM   #2
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

To add context the seller has a 100% rating, is a top rated eBay seller and they have a lot of references for watches they've sold.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:00 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally at that price point, I’d only buy from one of the trusted sellers here.

Is this reference available at a similar price elsewhere?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:01 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Unless it's a rare watch that can't be found elsewhere I personally wouldn't.

It's not that I have something agains eBay in general and obviously I have no info on the watch or seller, but you're paying a premium.

Also and this is potentially the biggest issue to look into, I've been hearing people have issues with voided warranties, since eBay technically opens the watch the authenticate it. You have an issue and Rolex notices the watch has been opened they void the warranty.

Which watch are you looking to buy?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:02 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

Also and this is potentially the biggest issue to look into, I've been hearing people have issues with voided warranties, since eBay technically opens the watch the authenticate it. You have an issue and Rolex notices the watch has been opened they void the warranty …
That’s an interesting concern …
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:03 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
For that amount of money there is no chance I would buy from EBay
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:05 AM   #7
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Curious why people are saying not to buy from eBay for that amount of money?

What is it that makes people think eBay means a watch isn't legit? Genuinely curious.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:07 AM   #8
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I bought a Cartier from eBay a couple of weeks ago. Their authenticity service was actually decent and the turn around was fast.

I could have avoided that because I was sending the watch for service anyway but I wanted as much as I could on paper in the event of any claim.

This was only a $4K purchase though ... I wouldn't leave $45K up in the air until they do what they have to do.

I see a lot of cross-posting between eBay and Chrono 24
Old 24 March 2023, 04:09 AM   #9
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post

What is it that makes people think eBay means a watch isn't legit? Genuinely curious.
It's not eBay - It is some of the sellers on there. I guess it's the perceived legitimacy of a dealer that has a website or is actively engaged in other platforms.

I've had a lot of good experiences on eBay but around $10K is where I would draw the line.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:12 AM   #10
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Sorry, I would not want some eBay appointed schmuck opening up a $45K watch to do their authentication for me. No way!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #11
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I sold a Breitling a few months back on eBay using their evaluation process and went very smoothly. The middle person turned the watch around in under a day, then next day delivery. Both seller and buyer were happy with the experience.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What makes you think a seller on eBay is trustyworthy? Because they claim to have a guarantee? Or an "authentication" service? How many problems are listed on this very site in the watch out section for watches being sold on eBay?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 24 March 2023, 04:20 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Sorry, I would not want some eBay appointed schmuck opening up a $45K watch to do their authentication for me. No way!
Lol, it’s not. I forget their name, but it’s verifiable third party with a horological background.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:26 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Lol, it’s not. I forget their name, but it’s verifiable third party with a horological background.
Yes it is Stoll &Co.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:28 AM   #15
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Yes it is Stoll &Co.
Are they trash?
Old 24 March 2023, 04:31 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are they trash?
Not at all, Ron Stoll is a great guy and the company is fine.

I still would not spend that kind of money for a watch on eBay. You may choose to do differently.

Good luck
Old 24 March 2023, 04:45 AM   #17
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
I do a lot of buying and selling on EBay. Nothing near this kind of money, I personally would be terrified spending 45000 for a watch on EBay. For that kind of money buy a plane ticket and make the purchase in person at a grey dealer’s storefront. That is just my opinion and I hope it helped.
Old 24 March 2023, 04:46 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
No. There are too many trusted sellers everywhere to deal with an unknown quantity on Ebay.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:51 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

It's just easier to call a trusted seller up on the phone and make a deal than go through all the procedures on Ebay. Plus, Ebay and PayPal charge the seller fees which have to be factored into the seller's price. A direct deal eliminates all those fees to the seller, ergo, a lower price to you can be negotiated. Have your watch the next day with confidence.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 05:01 AM   #20
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstar View Post
I do a lot of buying and selling on EBay. Nothing near this kind of money, I personally would be terrified spending 45000 for a watch on EBay. For that kind of money buy a plane ticket and make the purchase in person at a grey dealer’s storefront. That is just my opinion and I hope it helped.
Basically, this. I have done a fair amount of eBay buying and selling (not just watches), but I am not on that type of spend level for the very reason quoted above. Much better call to deal with that kind of transaction via some other channel; probably, in person - not eBay.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 05:45 AM   #21
NCRolexguy
Banned

A lot of fakes and partial fakes have passed through ebay's verification service.
NCRolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 06:50 AM   #22
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I'd start by asking the seller questions and agreeing on a deal if things don't turn out as expected. For eg, if it passes the authenticity and when you get the watch you confirm something's not right or aftermarket. Will he take it back?
Its better to clear these things up ahead before the purchase.
$45k is too much for me to do on ebay with a seller I don't know.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 11:00 AM   #23
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
The most frequent authenticator of watches for ebay is Stoll & Co / America's Watchmaker in Dayton, OH. Stoll & Co is a factory authorized service center for several brands of watches including Baume & Mercier, Bucherer, Vulcain, and others. I've bought an Hermes, Zenith, Cartier, Vacheron Constantin, and Audemars Piguet from ebay that were all authenticated by Stoll & Co and have not had any issue with them.

The issue of voided warranty is an interesting one and not one that I've run into. I had the Vacheron looked at by the watchmaker at the BH boutique and he said nothing about a voided warranty.

You also have to remember that Watchbox and several large, major watch dealers sell on ebay and will accept offers there.

I wouldn't buy a $45K watch from "Joe Blow" on ebay, but, if the seller is a business or person I can track back to and the watch is authenticated by Stoll (or a similar company), I'd have no problem with it.

Really, when you think about it, you have at least three methods of recourse when buying from ebay - first, you have ebay's authentication, then you have PayPal protection, and, finally, if you use your AmEx, you have their protection. I think you're pretty well covered.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 11:04 AM   #24
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Hilarious — no. To many possibilities for problems
Easy fix/. Buy from one of the 5 key sellers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 11:09 AM   #25
HAPConst
Banned

Bought a president from eBay. Seller was great. Called me a number of times giving updates. Very honest and upfront. It’s luck of the drawer with the seller, same for the watch. Everyone’s interpretation is different and varied.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 11:44 PM   #26
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
We always say "Buy the seller." IMO ebay is just a middle-man who takes a cut of the proceeds. Would have no problem buying on ebay provided the seller is reputable. Some of the sellers here are on ebay as well, for example ponycar350. (Typically ebay prices run a little higher due to the relatively high overhead. I personally would never sell on ebay for this reason.)

But then again the TRF TS group is 'trusted' for good reason. You can trust them more than your local AD SA!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 12:51 AM   #27
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

Bought a Speedy with an exhibition case back a couple weeks ago. Smooth transaction, the seller had thousands of positive transactions and as I understand it Stoll can authenticate watches with exhibition case backs without opening them.

I sold a watch on eBay once. Never again. Between all the scammers and sob stories, not worth it.
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 02:56 AM   #28
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

Please be careful that's a very large amount.
Old 25 March 2023, 10:00 PM   #29
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

I just received a Panerai through eBay yesterday. Watch is legit but after winding it doesn’t work. Sending it back for a full refund. eBay makes it really easy to do so with the authenticity guarantee. Would I buy a $45k Rolex on eBay? Yes, as long as it’s from a reputable dealer, you should be fine
vinny84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 02:34 AM   #30
Fletcher99
"TRF" Member

eBay works

I bought all of my vintage watches through eBay and they were all good deals. All required servicing but I expected that with a vintage watch. I would never wire funds to anyone for a purchase, trusted or not.
Fletcher99 is offline   Reply With Quote