The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 August 2009, 08:03 AM   #1
CGC_Consultant

Watch: 1675 GMT
1680 Purchase advice.

Hello all,
I purchased a 1680 three weeks ago from Jewelery store, and sent it to Rolex USA to have it inspected to make sure I can take it in the water. This is what I found out.

Watch condition:
Crystal chipped/scratched(no problem here)
Dial finish not original (Problem here in my mind) What does that mean?
Hands slightly scratched (no problem here)
Bezel Insert not of Rolex manufacture (Problem here in my mind)
Bezel altered/damaged.
Case nicked/dented (no problem here)
Caseback corroded
Crown and tube worn (no problem)
Bracelet not of Rolex manufacture (Problem here)

This is Rolex's recommendation:
1. Overhaul of watch
2. New Dial w/hands
3. New S/St Bezel w/Black Insert (Trade-In)
4. New Caseback (Trade-In)
5. Replace Crystal Securing Ring
6. New Bracelet, S/St Oyster Fliplock (Trad-In)

So... $2,000 later, I have everything taken care of. I got a decent deal on the watch, but I my card company says I have a case if I want to return the watch. I may try to get the dealer to refund a portion of the money to get it right. What would you do/thoughts please. I have another watch I could use the funds for, but not sure how long that watch will be around.

Thanks,
CGC
CGC_Consultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

I would get my money back if the dial was not original. If they replace the dial it will be with a service one and in my opinion will likely devalue the watch.
Beaumont Miller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 08:07 AM   #3
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Did the person that sold you the watch say it was 100% original and put it in writing?Sounds like the bracelet is a copy and the dial was redone and the bezel and insert are bad.I personaly would try and get a refund.I have seen stores sell watches like this for many many years.Having Rolex fix it to wear is fine but the dial wont be original and all the money is in the dial so you decide.What did you pay for this?Also post some pics of the watch.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
From your post it sounds like you have already affected the repairs.......

Considering that half your cost would be in the new bracelet, and the rest in a good service and dial......... It's now worth keeping........

You needed to return the watch after finding this out if you wanted to get our money back; a used watch is generally sold as-is........ I think that the only thing you could actually argue to the original vendor is that the dial was refinished.... everything else is typical wear and tear for an older watch..
Old 24 August 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Oops. From your post, I didn't understand that the repairs were already done. Agree with the above.
Beaumont Miller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
CGC_Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
Oops. From your post, I didn't understand that the repairs were already done. Agree with the above.
Hello all,
No repairs have been done. I just got the quote from Rolex. I sent the estimate into the store I bought it from, and I should hear back from them tomorrow. I paid $3,200 for the watch and I was told that only the crystal had been replaced. This is what the salesman told me, and I do believe he was being honest with what information he had. My credit card company said I can get my money back if I need to. Not sure what to do right now.

CGC
Old 24 August 2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGC_Consultant View Post
Hello all,
No repairs have been done. I just got the quote from Rolex. I sent the estimate into the store I bought it from, and I should hear back from them tomorrow. I paid $3,200 for the watch and I was told that only the crystal had been replaced. This is what the salesman told me, and I do believe he was being honest with what information he had. My credit card company said I can get my money back if I need to. Not sure what to do right now.

CGC
I see........ Your statement "So... $2,000 later, I have everything taken care of." led me to believe that you had done the work..

Well, for the initial cost, and the additional, you still would have a "like new" 1680 for around 5k.....

I suppose that you can find them around for less than that... but probably not with a fresh Rolex service, new bracelet, insert, dial and hands..

It is a tough call here... The initial low price still makes it attractive..
Old 24 August 2009, 10:18 AM   #8
greekbum
"TRF" Member

So for $3200 you basically got a movement and a case everything else is getting changed by Rolex.If the case is excellent with fat lugs for 5k you will have a like new 1680 with a luminova dial and hands.What is the serial number 1st 2 digits? I wonder if it is a red or a white 1680.Follow your heart if this is what you want do it.

Old 24 August 2009, 11:34 AM   #9
CGC_Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
So for $3200 you basically got a movement and a case everything else is getting changed by Rolex.If the case is excellent with fat lugs for 5k you will have a like new 1680 with a luminova dial and hands.What is the serial number 1st 2 digits? I wonder if it is a red or a white 1680.Follow your heart if this is what you want do it.

The 1st 2 digits of the serial number is 58 Not sure what year that would be. I already have a Sub I bought new in 98(not a matte dial), and I just bought a new Sea Dweller (not deep sea) last October. Love these watches. The matte dial was what attracted me to the 1680. Silly me, I just looked at the serial number through a loop, and thought. Wow a vintage Rolex I should buy it. Sales guy said $4,500, but I said $3,200 and he sold it to me. I should be OK either way, but not sure what to do. Love the look of the watch. Just want it to be real!

CGC
Old 24 August 2009, 11:41 AM   #10
greekbum
"TRF" Member

1978 and its a white sub not red than.With the new dial Rolex will put in it will be real but not an original period correct dial.Its a replacement dial with the new luminova lume.It will look vintage and glow very bright.Its a personal choice as many people like the vintage look and the glow.

Old 24 August 2009, 12:18 PM   #11
CGC_Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
1978 and its a white sub not red than.With the new dial Rolex will put in it will be real but not an original period correct dial.Its a replacement dial with the new luminova lume.It will look vintage and glow very bright.Its a personal choice as many people like the vintage look and the glow.
Do any of you know of someone who has had this done? If so, do you know where there are some pictures I can take a look at it? Would like to know what it would look like if I go down that road.

CGC
Old 24 August 2009, 12:24 PM   #12
greekbum
"TRF" Member

PM sent

Old 24 August 2009, 12:30 PM   #13
greekbum
"TRF" Member

If you scroll down there is 1 on this page

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=1278714

Old 24 August 2009, 12:44 PM   #14
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Might look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01756.jpg (51.0 KB, 308 views)
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 01:13 PM   #15
onkyo
Banned

Personally, I would not have the watch serviced through Rolex.

I would hunt down a vintage dial, bezel insert, and bracelet then have a watchmaker install it all (and probable routine service at same time).

Then you have a very nice and correct vintage piece.

The value would be much greater than it's current value if you ever wanted to sell it.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2009, 02:44 AM   #16
CGC_Consultant

OK. Thanks for all of the advice. The store I bought the watch from is willing to take it back and give me a complete refund. What would you guys do? I really like the look of the watch, and I think they would prob. refund a portion of the money to go towards the repair? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
CGC
Old 26 August 2009, 02:52 AM   #17
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Personally, I would not have the watch serviced through Rolex.

I would hunt down a vintage dial, bezel insert, and bracelet then have a watchmaker install it all (and probable routine service at same time).

Then you have a very nice and correct vintage piece.

The value would be much greater than it's current value if you ever wanted to sell it.
I agree with all onkyo has said. If your going to get a dial then I would contact Steve Mulholland on this forum. He is a person that probably (not sure) can get the dial and hands. He might already have them in his stock of vintage dials. I would be interested in what he would tell you.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2009, 03:42 AM   #18
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
OK. Thanks for all of the advice. The store I bought the watch from is willing to take it back and give me a complete refund. What would you guys do? I really like the look of the watch, and I think they would prob. refund a portion of the money to go towards the repair? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
CGC
I would ask for a partial refund. But remember dial/hands, bezel, and bracelet are not cheap for these pieces.

So figure out a price you are comfortable with and ask them for it.

If this is too much work for you or you feel uncomfortable with it, then return the watch for a full refund.

Let us know what you do.
Old 28 August 2009, 08:40 AM   #19
CGC_Consultant

Here is what I have. The store will give me a complete refund or $700 refund and let me get the repairs done. I think I'm sending it back. My hope was for them to go half and half with me on it.

CGC
Old 28 August 2009, 09:07 AM   #20
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Get your money I agree.Although $2500.00 for a 1680 watch head isnt bad in this case it might be to much.If the case is over polished and undesirable whats he selling you?A serviceable movement and hope? If you go the RSC route you will have $4500 in a like new watch as long as the case wasnt over polished. Most collectors will say its not original (the caseback dial and hands)But this is a personal choice you may like the look of it? Its a project and cash is king in this market so you have to ask yourself with $4500.00 can I do better?

Old 28 August 2009, 05:21 PM   #21
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
I´ve done it..

....with my SD 1665. It´s a shame it hade to be done..since original is always my goal.
But the date wheel, hands and dial was far beyond repair.

Now I have a functional watch...and it´s glowing like mad

Old 28 August 2009, 07:54 PM   #22
DadsWatch72
Banned

I think it looks great.
Old 28 August 2009, 08:03 PM   #23
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Beauty!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 02:27 PM   #24
CGC_Consultant

Well, I have decided to return the watch for a full refund, and put the money towards a 1665 I have a deposit on. The dial has been replaced on the 1665, but I think I may just look for original 1665 dial and hands and have someone put them on the watch. I will say that the store I purchased the 1680 from will get business from me in the future, because of the way they have handled this unfortunate situation. Thank you all for your advice. Now... is there a program to help keep away from these vintage watches.

CGC
Old 29 August 2009, 03:10 PM   #25
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Well, I have decided to return the watch for a full refund, and put the money towards a 1665 I have a deposit on. The dial has been replaced on the 1665, but I think I may just look for original 1665 dial and hands and have someone put them on the watch. I will say that the store I purchased the 1680 from will get business from me in the future, because of the way they have handled this unfortunate situation. Thank you all for your advice. Now... is there a program to help keep away from these vintage watches.

CGC
I think you made a good decision.

Best of luck with your next piece.

Vintage is addicting... there is no known cure.
Old 29 August 2009, 09:29 PM   #26
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I would buy a 1680 that needed all the work you mentioned for 2,500$..
but then again I already have the dial,hand set,bezel and crystal right here next to me..lol
and I do thoroughly enjoy projects like that!..
whats the name of the jeweler?...lol
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 10:35 PM   #27
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
I would buy a 1680 that needed all the work you mentioned for 2,500$..
but then again I already have the dial,hand set,bezel and crystal right here next to me..lol
and I do thoroughly enjoy projects like that!..
whats the name of the jeweler?...lol
What about the case back? You said that you would buy "A" 1680 that needed all this work but do you mean "THIS" 1680?
Old 31 August 2009, 09:44 PM   #28
Junerai
"TRF" Member

Quote:

CGC
I do not want to be negative about this post, but a correct tritium 1665 dial is very hard to find and very expensive (when compared to a 1680 dial). But on the other hand, it is a much more expensive watch so there is room to work with as long as the watch is priced right with a later service dial.

Glad to hear that a dealer was able to stand behind what they were selling.

Good luck.
Junerai is offline   Reply With Quote