The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 January 2015, 09:05 AM   #31
PJ S
Banned

A veritable smorgasbord of ALSs.

Of course you could just opt for a nice Glashutte Original or two for the same money.

And don't let me muddle up your thinking by suggesting an FP Journe of one variety or another!

Or heaven forbid I complicate things further with an H. Moser & Cie......you'll be in a right dilemma then!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 05:37 PM   #32
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
I wish the Zeitwerk would drop 50% preowned....love that watch.

Sent from my 16M
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2015, 11:28 PM   #33
andyuan7
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS AP VC
I got my dato there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieKid View Post
Nice 1815

Like I mentioned before not getting a good discount on the Lange 1 and knowing that the watch's value drops by almost 50% once I leave the AD's doors is really deterring me from buying this model new.
The WoW store in Sydney is pretty good, I enjoyed speaking with the store manager Delwyn and he showed me various A.Langes. I am a huge fan and I bought my plantinum dato up/down for myself, under my wife's permission lol.

Personally for high end I prefer new ones, especially for special editions or timeless models. However for Lange 1 or others I might choose second hand if it is just for daily use.

But I wear my dato daily as it is so practical to wear. I love it and ALS does great service no nothing to worry about. Mate if you are getting one 1815 or Lange 1 is always a good start. Choose RG unless you have a hoppy collecting wG or Plantinum
andyuan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2015, 11:32 PM   #34
andyuan7
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS AP VC
I got my dato there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieKid View Post
Nice 1815

Like I mentioned before not getting a good discount on the Lange 1 and knowing that the watch's value drops by almost 50% once I leave the AD's doors is really deterring me from buying this model new.
The WoS store in Sydney is pretty good, I enjoyed speaking with the store manager Delwyn and he showed me various A.Langes. I am a huge fan and I bought my plantinum dato up/down for myself, under my wife's permission lol.

Personally for high end I prefer new ones, especially for special editions or timeless models. However for Lange 1 or others I might choose second hand if it is just for daily use.

But I wear my dato daily as it is so practical to wear. I love it and ALS does great service no nothing to worry about. Mate if you are getting one 1815 or Lange 1 is always a good start. Choose RG unless you have a hoppy collecting wG or Plantinum
andyuan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2015, 02:01 AM   #35
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I agree that higher end and LE ALS watches are not being flooded on the secondary market with lower prices, so it may be a good idea to buy it new from an AD, especially if you have an existing relationship with an AD.

Recently I was looking at the 200th Anniversary Edition 1815 in black dial platinum at an AD. It was a great looking watch and re-seller price were not any different from AD prices.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2015, 03:05 AM   #36
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
As has been said many times - buy at the right price and you should be fine. See how much the model you are interested in has sold for and see how close you can get to that preowned and new.

Then it is up to you if you the value the premium you may have to pay for the new piece. In some instances it is possible to buy new cheaper than preowned depending on your relationship with ADs and grey dealers/trusted TRF sellers.

Cheers
Anuj
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 12:18 AM   #37
Celter
"TRF" Member

I bought my 1815 preowned, 6 months old and LNIB. 10' USD below retail. I don't think I would have paid the retail price.
Celter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:10 AM   #38
herrbarnack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Agree the mvmnt cannot be faked so you should have no trouble finding the real thing. Preowned or new with a large discount for sure, as just knowing your watch has dropped 30-40% in value will ruin your ownership experience of such a luxury quality product.
Greetings, fellow watch connoisseurs!

I am new here and have a couple of questions that I hope others will be able to shed some light on. I am interested in acquiring either a Lange 1 or a Grand Lange 1 and am thinking that buying pre-owned from a reputable source would be a good strategy for my first Lange. This brings to mind the following questions:

Do A. Lange watches depreciate more than other high end brands?

Is 30-40% depreciation between new and pre-owned typical for high end watches across the board?

If you buy a pre-owned Lange and want to have it cleaned, lubricated and adjusted, what does that kind of service cost (for example) for a Lange 1 or Grand Lange 1 from a reputable watchmaker?

Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
herrbarnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:23 AM   #39
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
For me you need to be nuts to buy them from an AD, when I inquired about a Dato perpetual, I was told no discount as they are rare and don't loose in value, I almost burst in tears laughing on the spot, best price new from grey at the time was 89k euros, AD price 130.030 euros, I guess 41k less means holds its value for them...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:29 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrbarnack View Post
Greetings, fellow watch connoisseurs!

I am new here and have a couple of questions that I hope others will be able to shed some light on. I am interested in acquiring either a Lange 1 or a Grand Lange 1 and am thinking that buying pre-owned from a reputable source would be a good strategy for my first Lange. This brings to mind the following questions:

Do A. Lange watches depreciate more than other high end brands?

Is 30-40% depreciation between new and pre-owned typical for high end watches across the board?

If you buy a pre-owned Lange and want to have it cleaned, lubricated and adjusted, what does that kind of service cost (for example) for a Lange 1 or Grand Lange 1 from a reputable watchmaker?

Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes, Langes do fall largely in value. I would prefer to buy a new/unworn one but probably not from an AD unless they give 30% off. Chrono24 is a good place to start looking.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 01:40 AM   #41
jackal981
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM FPJ PP AP R
I think pre-owned is a no brainer on ALS since you can get it for 50% off MSRP

Edit: unless we are talking about zeitwerk

Last edited by jackal981; 14 May 2017 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: add
jackal981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 03:04 PM   #42
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Depends on the model. I have a simple three hander that I purchased from an AD. No regrets.

A watch with serious complications would have to be pre-tickled. Bare in mind that servicing an ALS may not be a cheap endeavor, so have a few grand in the reserves just in case.
Old 14 May 2017, 09:41 PM   #43
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I've done both...picked up an 1815 chrono a few years ago pre-owned. It's discontinued now (as it was then), but I think I could sell it for well above what I paid. I then purchased a platinum Dato new from my AD this past December. I got a nice discount so I ended up paying only a couple thousand more than pre owned, and it was brand new, obviously didn't need a service, was under warranty, and had my name on it, so it was worth it for me. I guess my point is new and pre owned can both make sense...you can buy right (or wrong) either way
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:49 AM   #44
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I've done both...picked up an 1815 chrono a few years ago pre-owned. It's discontinued now (as it was then), but I think I could sell it for well above what I paid. I then purchased a platinum Dato new from my AD this past December. I got a nice discount so I ended up paying only a couple thousand more than pre owned, and it was brand new, obviously didn't need a service, was under warranty, and had my name on it, so it was worth it for me. I guess my point is new and pre owned can both make sense...you can buy right (or wrong) either way
Of course paying 2 grand more on such a piece for new instead of used is clearly worth it, but paying retail if you can get the same watch for 30-40% less is nuts
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 10:16 PM   #45
shafran
"TRF" Member

Slightly used

I try to buy my watches and cars, slightly used with balance of warranty left. This way someone else takes the hit and I can still have free service/ checkup before the warranty ends. It has worked so far.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 12:30 PM   #46
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
I try to buy my watches and cars, slightly used with balance of warranty left. This way someone else takes the hit and I can still have free service/ checkup before the warranty ends. It has worked so far.
Hmmm, that's exactly the way I like to buy cars, and my Daytona was two months old too. Ask me how much I care that I didn't get to peel the stickers off?
Old 19 May 2017, 11:41 AM   #47
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
If you buy from a trusted seller and the watch is in great shape, I would always go used. No sense in taking the haircut up front for something that gets scratches and dings from normal wear!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 01:09 PM   #48
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal981 View Post
I think pre-owned is a no brainer on ALS since you can get it for 50% off MSRP

Edit: unless we are talking about zeitwerk

Would u mind sharing your knowledge/info on zeitwerk as I am interested in zeitwerk.
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 10:37 PM   #49
henrus
"TRF" Member

The price list for servicing Lange watches is available on their website. I can’t post the URL as I’ve not posted enough on this forum, but just Google “Lange service prices”
henrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 01:44 AM   #50
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Well, someone just stole a bunch from the Lange boutique on Madison Avenue, so there should be some super cheap pieces floating around!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 09:39 AM   #51
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Well, someone just stole a bunch from the Lange boutique on Madison Avenue, so there should be some super cheap pieces floating around!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=8094309
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 10:24 AM   #52
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Hmm... you seem to know a lot about the theft... a little too much...
Old 8 December 2017, 10:39 AM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Hmm... you seem to know a lot about the theft... a little too much...
What are you insinuating? That PJ is involved and posting about it on trf
Old 8 December 2017, 10:44 AM   #54
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
What are you insinuating? That PJ is involved and posting about it on trf
If you switch out the word joking for insinuating, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'll use emoji next time.
Old 8 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
If you switch out the word joking for insinuating, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'll use emoji next time.
Ahh I see
Old 8 December 2017, 11:23 PM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Damn, that is a great haul they got away with, a lot of my faves.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote