The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 June 2017, 12:13 AM   #1
stillsane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680, 214270, BLNR
Omega vs Rolex

I am relatively new to high-end watches but have seen and tried on many Rolex watches. Went to an Omega AD yesterday and tried on several nice watches and was a bit disappointed. Any thoughts?
stillsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:21 AM   #2
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
What was the let down about Omega?
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:21 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I suppose their price differentials reflect your thoughts and the general demand for the two brands. I've owned both brands and think many Omegas used to be great value for money, esp the PO line, but not any more, plus they've become overly thick. Subs/GMTs are easier to wear and hold value much better, in fact some are increasing in value here in UK.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:23 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
They are different brands with different strategic plans. Rolex is positioning itself as a luxury brand. Both are good, just depends on your finances and personal preference.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #5
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
They both are welll known brands with a long history. Many have both in their collection. One thing I know from owning both is the Rolex sports models hold their value better. Not saying they increase but they don't depreciate as much. Don't think you can say the same for Omega.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:26 AM   #6
stillsane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680, 214270, BLNR
I did not care for the thickness at all plus I thought rolex had a bit more refined look.
stillsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Jsanders1985
"TRF" Member

I've never liked the looks of Omega watches...not my taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jsanders1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:31 AM   #8
drm20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Just one more
Omega vs Rolex

I've had both and to me, nothing is like a Rolex. Most Omega's are a little too thick for my taste.

drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 01:43 AM   #9
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Omega vs Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I suppose their price differentials reflect your thoughts and the general demand for the two brands. I've owned both brands and think many Omegas used to be great value for money, esp the PO line, but not any more, plus they've become overly thick. Subs/GMTs are easier to wear and hold value much better, in fact some are increasing in value here in UK.

This. The only model I like in the omega is the Speedmaster pro (moonwatch); it almost never changed since its introduction 50 years ago. Even though, I still prefer a Rolex knowing that i own a moonwatch and not having any wrist time since many months now.
Cheers.

Old 19 June 2017, 01:48 AM   #10
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
They both are welll known brands with a long history. Many have both in their collection. One thing I know from owning both is the Rolex sports models hold their value better. Not saying they increase but they don't depreciate as much. Don't think you can say the same for Omega.

Totally agree! I have a limited model omega that I'm trying to sell with no success even though I was told that I can actually gain from this particular model.

Old 19 June 2017, 02:20 AM   #11
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsane View Post
I am relatively new to high-end watches but have seen and tried on many Rolex watches. Went to an Omega AD yesterday and tried on several nice watches and was a bit disappointed. Any thoughts?

Thoughts... yes, I have one.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 02:44 AM   #12
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
I like Omega, some models more than others. Th thickness of some of th divers is a turnoff, but I would not hesitate to pick up a Speedy Pro or even the right AT if a deal presented itself.
Old 19 June 2017, 03:03 AM   #13
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

For me the experience was quite different. I've longed for a Submariner mostly because of it's iconic status. I finally started shopping for my first high-end watch a few months ago. There was no doubt in my mind that I would buy a Sub. But I saw a Seamaster and was slowly drawn to it. I finally had a chance to fondle both side by side and ended up really liking the Omega more than the Rolex. So that's what I bought. I will still end up buying a Rolex in the near future, but I absolutely love my blue Seamaster.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:13 AM   #14
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
In many cases they are not the same price range anyway. But in general I prefer the aesthetics of Rolex over omega. My exceptions being the speedy pro which I love and the ck2998.

Quality wise I think the omegas are pretty good though. As with all things, buy them right and you should be ok. There is certainly place in a collection for both.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:49 AM   #15
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

At this point I don't think there can be a debate over the quality of one versus the other. They're both highly-engineered timepieces, and both companies have a long, storied history and have become iconic in their own rights.

What it comes down to is just mostly aesthetics and personal taste. I think we've seen that reflected here in this thread, too (i.e. most here citing thickness or design as the reasons for their preference).

Personally, I love both and have both in my collection in equal measures.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 04:25 AM   #16
Mr. Vegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: me roll the dice
I used to think the same as I come from mainly rolexes in my collection. Then I read more about the speedmaster moon watch, and after trying one on I was hooked. Look into its history, and know it hasn't been changed much since its intro. Plus, something about a manual wind vs. my automatic wind pieces gives it a more tool watch feel. I now wear my speedy more often than my subs or gmts.
Mr. Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 05:29 AM   #17
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
They are different brands with different strategic plans. Rolex is positioning itself as a luxury brand. Both are good, just depends on your finances and personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
At this point I don't think there can be a debate over the quality of one versus the other. They're both highly-engineered timepieces, and both companies have a long, storied history and have become iconic in their own rights.

What it comes down to is just mostly aesthetics and personal taste. I think we've seen that reflected here in this thread, too (i.e. most here citing thickness or design as the reasons for their preference).

Personally, I love both and have both in my collection in equal measures.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 06:32 AM   #18
s.al-anizi
"TRF" Member

I used to like Omega more,

However as of late (past 5 years) Omega has been taking a downward turn with regards to brand value, issuing limited editions with thousands and thousands of pieces, then issuing other "limited" editions that differ not one iota than the previous one, also with thousands of pieces. Models with more than 10 sub-models to them, exhausting the "Bond Watch" image till it makes people sick.

Even though their movements are second to none, and quality is there on par with Rolex no doubt, the brand value IMO is going down the drain towards the likes of TAG Heuer.

Also, Omega sport models in SS bracelets are too heavy for me, try wearing a PO in 45mm and you will get the picture. Even in 42mm it is too heavy and unbalanced on the wrist. Would only consider buying titanium models.

Cheers!
s.al-anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:04 AM   #19
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.al-anizi View Post
I used to like Omega more,

However as of late (past 5 years) Omega has been taking a downward turn with regards to brand value, issuing limited editions with thousands and thousands of pieces, then issuing other "limited" editions that differ not one iota than the previous one, also with thousands of pieces. Models with more than 10 sub-models to them, exhausting the "Bond Watch" image till it makes people sick.

Even though their movements are second to none, and quality is there on par with Rolex no doubt, the brand value IMO is going down the drain towards the likes of TAG Heuer.

Also, Omega sport models in SS bracelets are too heavy for me, try wearing a PO in 45mm and you will get the picture. Even in 42mm it is too heavy and unbalanced on the wrist. Would only consider buying titanium models.

Cheers!

THIS!

Old 19 June 2017, 07:33 AM   #20
colpol
"TRF" Member

I own both - down to personal preference

Forget price/ resale/ brand etc. Buy what you like
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:42 AM   #21
tfjordan
"TRF" Member

I have three Omega models I've been very pleased with the overall quality. Only one of which is contemporary (I consider contemporary anything still in production). They are (in reverse order of vintage):
1. Seamaster 300 Coaxial.
2. Bond Chronometer.
3. Speedmaster MK II racing dial.

A note on each:
The SM 300 Coaxial is the most accurate watch I own at +.6 (total) over 7 days. Not bad!

The Bond is perfect at 41mm, has the most comfortable bracelet around, and last but not least, is a Chronometer.

The Speedy MK II racing dial with caliber 861 is wonderful to wind and was made only 1969-1972. It also has over 50 hr power reserve. Again, not bad for Lemania-based movement over 46 years old.

Great, high quality pieces. Equal to my Rolexes? Eeeh, maybe not. But fine timepieces nonetheless.

Omega Speedmaster 145.014
Tudor BB Blue
tfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:51 AM   #22
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 14060M
I had an SMPc and the heavy use of rhodium on the applied logo and hands means the watch looks either spectacular or completely flat depending on the lighting. I appreciate printed dials now.

Here's an example of when rhodium doesn't work:

collarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:52 AM   #23
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
i think they make some of the best values for the money out there. Some like the Speedy are certified classics.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:54 AM   #24
Imajedi
"TRF" Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1497822823.832902.jpg

They landed on the moon. Mic drop.....
Imajedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 08:57 AM   #25
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Have owned 5 Omegas, still love them but the newer ones just don't call my name anymore and too expensive. I still own 2 of them and prefer the older ones from the 60's and early 70's.
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 11:52 AM   #26
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Kind of hard not to love these guys..

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:20 PM   #27
danbrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I like 'em both - have a Tintin, a Planet Ocean, and a Globemaster. I like 'em all, probably the Tintin the most. https://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...master-tintin/
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:43 PM   #28
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I own watches from both. Like others have said, there's room in one's collection for both, and it comes down to personal preferences. I bought my three Omegas for the following reasons:

(1) Omega has a much more diverse offering - in both aesthetics and functions. I really wanted a GMT Chronograph because I use both functions in my profession, and there is not one Rolex that provides those functions. Omega had two models to choose from at the time.
(2) Coaxial movement is much more interesting than anything Rolex has done recently on the movement side (though the Skydweller comes close).
(3) Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch - 'nuf said
(4) It's NOT a Rolex - This is a good thing sometimes, particularly when you don't want potential clients judging you just because you're wearing a Rolex. Also, living in Asia, there are so many fake Rolexes and everyone on the street seems to be wearing one, it's nice to be a bit different.
(5) Omega's customer service is very good - I've mostly had good experiences when I walk into an Omega AD or Boutique. Almost all of them have been friendly and helpful, no matter how I'm dressed or what watch I'm wearing. I can't say the same about most Rolex ADs I've visited. Rolex ADs are often staffed with salespeople who seem to know very little about the watches and who don't seem to want to show you watches or talk to you.
(6) Great after-purchase service - I accidentally dropped my 2-month old Seamaster on a tile floor once and they completely rebuilt the watch movement and didn't charge me a dime. And this was through an Omega Boutique that I never bought anything from. Many Boutiques also have a service tech on-site, who can help with little things like adjusting bracelets on the spot for free. I haven't had any experience with servicing my Rolexes yet, but few ADs seem to have techs on-site.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 01:08 AM   #29
hoppes-no9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus09 View Post
Totally agree! I have a limited model omega that I'm trying to sell with no success even though I was told that I can actually gain from this particular model.
Whoever told you that was an idiot.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 01:22 AM   #30
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
Whoever told you that was an idiot.

Seemingly