The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2009, 12:29 AM   #1
cyberone

Watch: Rolex Gmt masterII
Icon5 6,000 dollar seiko ????? whaaaaa!!!!

So i just got the new edition of WatchTime magazine and they have an article about a line of Seiko watches from the range of $2,300 to $6,4000
it's called the Seiko Sanskrit. Even though i consider seikos to be good watches i own a couple my self. who would buy a 6000 dollar Seiko. NUTS. anybody know more about these watches and why the high end price tag?
cyberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:35 AM   #2
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

WOW!

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
cyberone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberone View Post
So i just got the new edition of WatchTime magazine and they have an article about a line of Seiko watches from the range of $2,300 to $6,4000
it's called the Seiko Sanskrit. Even though i consider seikos to be good watches i own a couple my self. who would buy a 6000 dollar Seiko. NUTS. anybody know more about these watches and why the high end price tag?
Corection they are the ANATA a Sanskirt word meaning Infinite. sticker shock has me seaing double lol
Old 31 July 2009, 12:39 AM   #4
alohanakoni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona TT
i agree...it's outrageous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BASELWORLD 2009 - SEIKO - ANANTA 2.jpg (47.5 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg RTEmagicC_09_2903_SEIKO_Ananta_3_jpg.jpg (22.8 KB, 512 views)
Old 31 July 2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Arby
"TRF" Member

eh?

SEIKO_Ananta.jpg
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:45 AM   #6
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Yes, I think quite a number of the Grand Seiko (Spring Drives mainly) can reach that price level. We've kicked the idea around before... "is it worth spending 'Rolex money' on one..."

That chrono does look nice though, and I guess if you compared it to a Daytona, it is quite a bit less than 'Rolex money'.

I personally really like the GS hand-wound. I'd like to eventually have one in my collection.

or

380000 yen, which is USD $3,988.86
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:45 AM   #7
newmedia
"TRF" Member

These are new line from SEIKO ,their higher end models has springdrive , only one watch company has this movement and its very accurate with 72 hour reserve.
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:48 AM   #8
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
The Seiko available in the US don't .........

The Seiko available in the US don't include their top models or product lines. Grand Seiko for instance can cost in the price range you are talking about. I have owned a few of their high end models which can only be purchased from dealers in Japan.

They are every bit as high quality as Swiss watches in their price range and even above. They have cutting edge technology (Spring Drive) in their movements which can not be matched by any Swiss brand watch in accuracy, reserve and inovation.

Seiko is not what the average US watch buyer has limited it to in their minds. This SBGE001 has an auto powered movement that easily keeps within 1 second per month.

vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:48 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I can see it as well, Seiko makes an excellent watch, maybe not as high quality as a Rolex of course, but excellent nonetheless. My first watch love was the 6139, a tremendously succesful model from the 70s. When they put their expertise together to make a high-end watch, I can see it costing 6 grand.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 12:50 AM   #10
cyberone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
The Seiko available in the US don't include their top models or product lines. Grand Seiko for instance can cost in the price range you are talking about. I have owned a few of their high end models which can only be purchased from dealers in Japan.

They are every bit as high quality as Swiss watches in their price range and even above. They have cutting edge technology (Spring Drive) in their movements which can not be matched by any Swiss brand watch in accuracy, reserve and inovation.

Seiko is not what the average US watch buyer has limited it to in their minds. This SBGE001 has an auto powered movement that easily keeps within 1 second per month.

Wow that is a great looking watch !!!!!
Old 31 July 2009, 01:05 AM   #11
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
These watches may well be worth the price, Seiko is a good quality watch after all. But I would rather put the money into another Rolex
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 01:11 AM   #12
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i bet you are actually getting closer to 6g worth of watch when you buy that seiko than when you buy an equivalently priced swiss piece.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 01:31 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
And lets not forget before the Swiss COSC was formed as it is now, there was then Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard.Now with the lesser test Swiss COSC around 95% pass first time,
Fact with careful regulation most any modern movement could pass the COSC test any brand any country.

And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%. Just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The others were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.That was until Seiko come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Only 2 brand in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition.and it was ended by the swiss in the 1970s after two straight wins by the Japanese straight off the production line Seiko Grand.

Seiko first entered the competition,with watches from all over the world.Including most of the Swiss high end brands.For a much higher standard than the COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard.Out of many watches summited only two passed this test Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux a specially build for the test model.And in the late 60s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days. ---Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated in the late 60s and the two preceding events, in 1972 some Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,thats when the lesser test Swiss COSC was founded.

Seiko Value, & High End.

There is a misunderstanding in some, that people assume Seiko equals affordable/cheap. Most are undoubtedly referring to Seiko's normally found on the street in Europe and the Americas, and they are definitely a good, fantastic, value for the money. But you can also get vintage and new high end Seiko's, which, until the advent of the Internet, were relatively unknown outside of Japan. And a few other far east Asian countries (Taiwan, GK, Singapore ETC.) "King Seiko","Grand Seiko", and "Seiko Credor", you will find in these watches that, movement and case finish wise, easily compete with the best of mass produced swiss watches, i.e. Omega, Rolex, etc. As for style… well, that is in the eye of the beholder. At best they can be considered very conservative. But it really depends which movements,and watches you are comparing to. What this all boils down to is: Seiko makes some truly outstanding products, and some mediocre ones, just like many other companies. If you want to buy one, you should, by all means do it. Because their bang-for-the-pound-factor is bloody amazing, at both ends of the spectrum.

Check out the regulator adjuster on this one! . That's real quality!and there own movement test, to a much higher spec than the Swiss COSC

selected Grand Seiko quartz model

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000-1 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year.
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 01:46 AM   #14
Thrasher

Watch: 16710 Coke
Japanese companies don't rebrand companies to sell high end products in the Japanese domestic market- i.e. no Lexus or or Acura, just top-of-the-line Toyota and Honda models. The Grand Seikos are fantastic watches. I love the predominately button-down elegance that I find in most of them. I also am enamored with their version of our beloved Rolex GMT, the SBGE001. Because I like deals, my eyes are peeled for a used example.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 02:01 AM   #15
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Thrasher;1288759]Japanese companies don't rebrand companies to sell high end products in the Japanese domestic market- i.e. no Lexus or or Acura, just top-of-the-line Toyota and Honda models.

Thats interesting, didn't know that.
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 04:16 AM   #16
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
I would love to get a Grand Seiko one day. The spring drive is amazing . I could watch it all day. That thing is smooth!

Here's some information on Grand Seiko prices. The site is in Japanese but you can get an idea of the price (in yen of course).

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/coll...html?model=101

Here's some interesting information in English on the Seiko Credor Sonnerie an absolutely beautiful watch. Check out the price for this beauty

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/sonnerie/index.html

http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/s...sonneriepr.htm

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 04:27 AM   #17
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Japanese companies don't rebrand companies to sell high end products in the Japanese domestic market- i.e. no Lexus or or Acura, just top-of-the-line Toyota and Honda models. .
Actually, until recently this was true. However, Lexus is now fully established in Japan as a separate car brand and is considered higher than most Toyota cars. As for Acura, I see them around town, but I think they are still being sold through Honda dealers.

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 01:35 PM   #18
cyberone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokyuryoku View Post
I would love to get a Grand Seiko one day. The spring drive is amazing . I could watch it all day. That thing is smooth!

Here's some information on Grand Seiko prices. The site is in Japanese but you can get an idea of the price (in yen of course).

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/coll...html?model=101

Here's some interesting information in English on the Seiko Credor Sonnerie an absolutely beautiful watch. Check out the price for this beauty

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/sonnerie/index.html

http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/s...sonneriepr.htm
wow nice resource there thanks
Old 31 July 2009, 01:40 PM   #19
Thrasher

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokyuryoku View Post
Actually, until recently this was true. However, Lexus is now fully established in Japan as a separate car brand and is considered higher than most Toyota cars. As for Acura, I see them around town, but I think they are still being sold through Honda dealers.
Thank you; I stand corrected.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 01:48 PM   #20
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Will they be selling them in Walmart??

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 01:49 PM   #21
cyberone

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post

Allan
:r ofl:
Old 31 July 2009, 01:49 PM   #22
newmedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post

Allan
no @ costco. LOL
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 04:02 AM   #23
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

x2 .... Beautiful GMT by the way.

/.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post

YuppieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 06:11 AM   #24
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Grand Seiko would give any watch manufacturer in the world a run for their money, just think for a minute that if the timekeeping and technology of a Seiko that sells in the UK or US for 2 or £300 ($450) is regarded as wonderful value, then think how good a $6000 Seiko would be. Have you ever seen the quality of a Seiko Marinemaster? top notch, a steal at $1800.
daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 07:48 PM   #25
escudoturbo
"TRF" Member

Ripped from the Irish watch thread this place sells the high end Seiko spring drives - though for a silicon valley based company they have a pony website, looks like something from 10 years ago :D

http://www.jacksonsquare.com/sc-watches/seiko.html
escudoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 07:55 PM   #26
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
For the money, I would put spending that much money on a Seiko comparable to a Breitling or TAG Heuer purchase. Just my personal opinion.

A wristwatch is not needed to tell the time, it is a piece of jewelry. In the case of the Spring Drive, it is a harmonious blend of Quartz and Mechanical technologies, a work of art to admire and appreciate. A modern day marvel of micro-engineering.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 09:05 PM   #27
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
A wristwatch is not needed to tell the time, it is a piece of jewelry.

Like this?

Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 09:19 PM   #28
jdc
"TRF" Member

I like those high end Seiko's. No, I would not spend $6k either on a Seiko or a Rolex
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2009, 11:18 PM   #29
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
I would put one of the cushion cased Seiko Divers (6306, 6309-70XXs from the 70s and 80s) up against a Rolex Sub any day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 088ai5zf8.jpg (103.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 029hx1.jpg (104.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg familypics374vd3.jpg (87.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 014qz2.jpg (99.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 030gt9.jpg (91.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg seiko6309011xs2.jpg (87.5 KB, 231 views)
Old 3 August 2009, 11:18 AM   #30
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escudoturbo View Post
Ripped from the Irish watch thread this place sells the high end Seiko spring drives - though for a silicon valley based company they have a pony website, looks like something from 10 years ago :D

http://www.jacksonsquare.com/sc-watches/seiko.html
That shop is a few minutes from my house. Nice people working there, although yes, the website is very basic.