The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2015, 11:41 AM   #1
jandr272
"TRF" Member

Options for first Rolex, 116622 Yacht-master or 16710 GMT?

Currently saving for my first Rolex, and debating the pros and cons of a newer 116622 versus an older 16710 Pepsi. I love the look of both. I like the blue dial the best, as I do want a blue dial watch, and the timing bezel would probably be more useful than a second time zone. On the other hand, the GMT is very classic and what I was brought up thinking "success" means, as a few bosses had it when I was a teen.

Which is more versatile? I wear camo for my job and will wear the watch daily, dress relatively relaxed with button downs, jeans and flip flops when off duty. The other pro to the GMT is they seem to go for sub $6k and the yacht-masters go for around $8.5k. But I really like that blue dial! And not sure if I want the "newer" and most recent update for my first.

At the least use this as an excuse to post pics of both beautiful watches!!!

I'm also starting to fall for the 116610LV... would go great with the camo...! No wonder this becomes a disease, I'm sure I will end up with all three one day, but the first is the biggest so want it to be right!
jandr272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 11:46 AM   #2
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

If you continue to hang out here, you "will" have all three!!!

Versatile, I'd say the GMT.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 11:51 AM   #3
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Black bezel GMT is the way to go between the two you mentioned, for sure
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Roller07
"TRF" Member

Watch: HulkPepsiCoke
Between those choices, I would pick the 16710.
Old 16 January 2015, 11:58 AM   #5
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
You like blue, I like new so.......

tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 12:03 PM   #6
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
The LV is pretty good with camo......

tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 01:21 PM   #7
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandr272 View Post
Currently saving for my first Rolex, and debating the pros and cons of a newer 116622 versus an older 16710 Pepsi. I love the look of both. I like the blue dial the best, as I do want a blue dial watch, and the timing bezel would probably be more useful than a second time zone. On the other hand, the GMT is very classic and what I was brought up thinking "success" means, as a few bosses had it when I was a teen.

Which is more versatile? I wear camo for my job and will wear the watch daily, dress relatively relaxed with button downs, jeans and flip flops when off duty. The other pro to the GMT is they seem to go for sub $6k and the yacht-masters go for around $8.5k. But I really like that blue dial! And not sure if I want the "newer" and most recent update for my first.

At the least use this as an excuse to post pics of both beautiful watches!!!

I'm also starting to fall for the 116610LV... would go great with the camo...! No wonder this becomes a disease, I'm sure I will end up with all three one day, but the first is the biggest so want it to be right!
Considering your camo and casual dress I would go for the Explorer II or a sub. I'm leaning towards a yacht master myself but don't get any more rugged than a button down or polos and chinos. If I was more of the denim and t-shirt or plaid kinda guy I would go for the Explorer II as my go to watch.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 02:54 PM   #8
James K
"TRF" Member

I wear the 116622 to work everyday (law enforcement along southern border) and it has taken its share of beatings from wrestling with people getting arrested, falling down waterfalls etc. It still looks awesome minus the two links I'm going to have to replace as there's some metal missing from them. Does my watch belong in this type of environment? Absolutely not and everyone calls me crazy for not wearing a G-shock instead. Bottom line is it's my watch, its the first model that I absolutely had to have, makes me smile every day, and it truly takes on my personality meaning it's tough, good looking, in its own class and has a few battle scars along the way but is very dependable. The camo is hit and miss with the blue dial unless you're navy then it's a no brainer. My ultimate point though is just buy the one you really really really want and your matching attire will either adjust to compliment it or simply just not matter once you put the watch on.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 04:33 PM   #9
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Daytona, DD2
Gmt
engin33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 04:34 PM   #10
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
There is something about that GMT II. Incredible watch.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 06:36 PM   #11
CabbageHead
"TRF" Member

Who cares about the second time zone, use your GMT for military time! The Pepsi would look killer. Red, white, and blue bezel? Money! Even the Coke bezel would look cool with camo. The Yacht Master and some GMTs share one of my least favorite Rolex features.. polished links. Fooey. Polished links with camo? Daily? Yag! Get the SS Pepsi!
CabbageHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 08:04 PM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I tend to go for modern / newer watches but I like the Pepsi GMT. Add a glidelock clasp for some added pleasure.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 09:21 PM   #13
jandr272
"TRF" Member

Haha no help at all here! Just kidding, some insightful posts. I do agree about the PCL, but I really like them, just not all the time. I do like the look of the RubberB straps, so that would alleviate the PCL as only strap issue.

I agree about the GMT, I'm just hesitant to buy an older reference for my first. I'm not sure why I am, but it is there. Maybe that it is hard if not impossible to try one on first.

The daily wearer will probably rotate between the Rolex bracelet and an aftermarket rubber or NATO strap. I love the bracelets, but also like a bit of variety and the versatility that changing straps brings.

The LV is beautiful too! Definitely going to compare the LV and Yachtmaster together in person if I can find a local AD with both.
Old 16 January 2015, 11:40 PM   #14
kentheevil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
go green I just got mine and loved it first, i wanted to recommend the gmt but if you usually wear black or white shirt the green sub will goes with those clothes pretty well
kentheevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 04:34 AM   #15
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I wear the 116622 to work everyday (law enforcement along southern border) and it has taken its share of beatings from wrestling with people getting arrested, falling down waterfalls etc. It still looks awesome minus the two links I'm going to have to replace as there's some metal missing from them. Does my watch belong in this type of environment? Absolutely not and everyone calls me crazy for not wearing a G-shock instead. Bottom line is it's my watch, its the first model that I absolutely had to have, makes me smile every day, and it truly takes on my personality meaning it's tough, good looking, in its own class and has a few battle scars along the way but is very dependable. The camo is hit and miss with the blue dial unless you're navy then it's a no brainer. My ultimate point though is just buy the one you really really really want and your matching attire will either adjust to compliment it or simply just not matter once you put the watch on.
I agree. Get the one that turns you on the most. I'm a big fan of the Blue YM. Wearing mine today. Love it!

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 04:43 AM   #16
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
get the new YM.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 04:46 AM   #17
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Between the two I'd pick the GMT but of course, that's just me.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 05:43 AM   #18
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I would say Lv or blnr would be great choices
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 06:04 AM   #19
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Old 17 January 2015, 06:20 AM   #20
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
You like blue, I like new so.......

Great pic Tom! My choice.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 07:18 AM   #21
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Get the blue dial 116622. It sounds like your heart is set on this watch. You can always save up and pick up the old GMT later.
Old 17 January 2015, 07:27 AM   #22
acr
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
YM all day
acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 02:28 AM   #23
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

I bought the blue YM first.

But I still want a Pepsi.

The 16710 would be easier to save for later.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 06:25 AM   #24
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The YM would be my choice.
Old 19 January 2015, 03:58 PM   #25
CabbageHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageHead View Post
Who cares about the second time zone, use your GMT for military time! The Pepsi would look killer. Red, white, and blue bezel? Money! Even the Coke bezel would look cool with camo. The Yacht Master and some GMTs share one of my least favorite Rolex features.. polished links. Fooey. Polished links with camo? Daily? Yag! Get the SS Pepsi!
This post bothered me after I wrote it. My apologies. "Yag" was harsh. PCL really aren't my thing. That's me. Truth be told when I visited my AD recently, the blue YM was the most stunning watch in a sea of Rolexes. The thing looked like a million bucks. The blue dial is like no other blue. It is a gorgeous watch. No question. I think I would switch up the bracelet if it was me. Its obviously not me, its you. I give you my blessing on the YM.
CabbageHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 04:51 PM   #26
luvsub
2024 Pledge Member

Ym
luvsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 11:46 PM   #27
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
This post bothered me after I wrote it. My apologies. "Yag" was harsh. PCL really aren't my thing. That's me. Truth be told when I visited my AD recently, the blue YM was the most stunning watch in a sea of Rolexes. The thing looked like a million bucks. The blue dial is like no other blue. It is a gorgeous watch. No question. I think I would switch up the bracelet if it was me. Its obviously not me, its you. I give you my blessing on the YM.

It is a stunner, and I think you have to see it up close to understand. That said, I love my 16710 "Coke" too.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 11:52 PM   #28
nick c
Banned

Gmt
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 12:53 AM   #29
jandr272
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha no worries mate it is all opinions! Here is a photo of one with a brushed case and bracelet, I think it looks amazing. Of course I'm leaning back towards GMTs today, so who knows what will be first once the money is saved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 20 January 2015, 01:12 AM   #30
ColRam425
"TRF" Member

Definitely go with the blue-dialed Yacht-Master! The blue just bursts out and the red second hand compliments the color so well. Not to mention that the Platinum bezel is just the coolest bezel out there!
ColRam425 is offline   Reply With Quote