The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2012, 06:40 PM   #31
byr0nic
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing art & watches
Cheers!

Very useful information, particularly around the serial number / age of watch one is advised to look at and/or avoid.

It's all coming in very handy at the minute as I'm circling a few ROOs on the second-hand market, and ready to pounce...

byr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 12:17 PM   #32
maeisenberg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Themes
AP Service

Very sound advice, thank you
maeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 06:21 PM   #33
takashi78
"TRF" Member

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

Valuable advise!
I will be VERY careful.
Strange the pdf i downloaded from the AP website says to turn the crown to wind no more than 30 turns.
As for the date setting, i guess each time i set i do it very gently eh.
takashi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2012, 03:39 AM   #34
ap_mike

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
FYI, I hope this will help others. A full service, including repair and replacement of parts of an AP Diver that had been tampered by a grey market seller was carried out by AP Singapore.

They were very helpful and initially quoted a 10-week timeline and the work was completed in 8 weeks. Since the watch had been tampered with, the bill for the service came to little over SGD 1500/- When I went to pick it up, I was told their initial assessment didn't cover all the parts needed for the repair, but since they had provided an official estimate before carrying out the work there was no extra charge for the work done.

An overall excellent service experience with AP Singapore. Also goes to show that servicing costs aren't that expensive if you do not have warranty; then again, it's a "simple" Diver.
ap_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2012, 11:03 PM   #35
ev8296
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 126600
thanks for the info!
ev8296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 04:59 AM   #36
ashil1982

one thing i would say... with AP royal oaks, depending on the light source, angle at which photos are taken, a watch that is actualyl quite scratched can appear to be MINT! so it is very important to try to see the watch in person or at least request photos taken with+without flash...
ashil1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 05:06 AM   #37
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashil1982 View Post
one thing i would say... with AP royal oaks, depending on the light source, angle at which photos are taken, a watch that is actualyl quite scratched can appear to be MINT! so it is very important to try to see the watch in person or at least request photos taken with+without flash...
Good point, but also remember, always buy the seller as a reputable honorable person won't misrepresent a watch.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2012, 08:15 AM   #38
jamilf
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange, Patek
This is a great post on AP. I recommend anyone buying a preowned AP to read it
Thanks
jamilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2012, 11:38 AM   #39
mrkz
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS, AP
Thanks for a great guide Mr H!

I had no idea the quartz was such an issue (though it makes sense now I think about it). So much for my desire for a Royal Oak square to liven up the collection ;)
mrkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 02:27 PM   #40
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkz View Post
Thanks for a great guide Mr H!

I had no idea the quartz was such an issue (though it makes sense now I think about it). So much for my desire for a Royal Oak square to liven up the collection ;)
My pleasure!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Watches are the new currency!

Old 2 March 2013, 12:49 AM   #41
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

ROO have a recommended servicing every 5 yrs, correct? What if it's running well, would one still wanna send it in at that 5 yr mark?
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 01:20 PM   #42
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
I wish I would've read this sticky before I bought. I recently picked up an H series AP Diver and a G series AP ROO Safari, both pre-owned but from reputable dealers.

Luckily I did not do any of the Don'ts...
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2013, 03:44 AM   #43
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i was tempted towards a ro ,,,, looks like its a bit more saving and a pp aqua instead ,,, i wont take much talking into that , great read. great sticky.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 05:07 PM   #44
oilman666
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Royal Oak
GREAT ADVICE FOR ALL...
FYI: I have a vintage 4100BA ,mov. 332042, cal 2125, beautiful piece, I sent it to Audemars in Fla. The cleaning of movement and polishing of watch and band was estimated at $1500.00, albeit was 2005. Was not a bad price. Good Luck All, The RO is a great piece, I have never been happier with a watch, I have many brands, but this puppy is tops on my list.. and currently looking to get another. I will keep in mind the issue with the 5402
oilman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:27 AM   #45
WJGESQ
Banned

[QUOTE=Submarino;3094368]I hope this can become a sticky on the AP Forum as I believe a lot of people considering buying a pre-owned AP would benefit from the advice I am giving out.

Always keep in mind the following when making a purchase of a pre-owned AP. Especially when buying a Royal Oak or a Royal Oak Offshore.

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.

2. If you buy a pre-owned modern AP RO or ROO try to get one that is not very old (F series and up) ideally with some service history and in overall great shape. Don't by a beater even if it's a good deal! You'll pay the difference afterwards.

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

4. On 5402s even after being serviced, AP doesn't guarantee any water-resistance. Don't even get it wet while washing your hands.

5. If you buy a ROO (Pre F-series) make sure it comes with service papers or service history. Otherwise stay away, unless you know the owner or the watch is really flawless.

6. Do not have the watch or bezel polished by independents. You might lose the AP bevels and bezel will become rounded over time and thin out. AP uses a special machine to keep the octagonal shape intact and polished/brushed areas perfectly balanced.

7. If you buy an AP still under warranty make sure to get the warranty registered and get your third year sticker. If the warranty is close to expire send the watch in and work will be done under warranty giving you another 2 years.

8. If you open a case back on a ROO do not attempt to open the anti-magnetic casing that holds the movement inside as those screws are very delicate. If you open the case back you are voiding any warranty on the watch as AP will know it was opened. Get it pressured test it if you do.

9. If you want to go AP make sure you have done your research, tried the watch on and have money ready for the service when the time comes. As Ken accurately mentioned, the service on modern APs will be expensive but not as expensive as it is on a Vintage piece like mine unless something is seriously wrong or other watchmakers before your ownership messed up the movement.

10. Stay away from a RO Quartz as changing the battery is something that needs to be done every 2-3 years. To change the battery you need to disassemble the whole watch. Remove the bezel, dial, hands, crown, etc. to access the movement and then replace the battery. If done by an independent there are a ton of things that can go wrong. Then again you will need to have AP do it and it gets really pricey even when it's just a battery change as they will still force you to do a periodic service.

I hope other owners and future owners learn from my experience and use this advice moving forward. I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeals I've been dealing with this week.

If my crown came apart in my hand twice in two years, I'd lose faith in the quality real fast and be taking my affections elsewhere. You must really like the brand.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 01:20 AM   #46
Submarino
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=WJGESQ;4195022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
If my crown came apart in my hand twice in two years, I'd lose faith in the quality real fast and be taking my affections elsewhere. You must really like the brand.
I actually absolutely do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Watches are the new currency!

Old 18 September 2013, 03:21 PM   #47
sharkfin
"TRF" Member

Great info!

Just doing my research, and glad I stumbled over here. ;)

Thx.
Cheers,
Dave
sharkfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2013, 01:50 AM   #48
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfin View Post
Great info!

Just doing my research, and glad I stumbled over here. ;)

Thx.
Cheers,
Dave
Thanks. Glad it helped.

Old 22 November 2013, 11:38 AM   #49
gingi310
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.
Submarino: First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this out.

I am wondering what the basis is for your first piece of advice quoted above.

If I buy a high-quality vintage watch with an unknown service history I first wear it for awhile and decide if it is a "keeper." If it is, I go ahead and send it our for service. I have done with with both my Rolex 16750 and Zenith A385 and am glad I did so.

Your advice below to NOT get it serviced is contrary to the advice I have received from most other collectors of vintage watches. I know that an AP service is much more expensive than Rolex, but they are reputed to do a great job in Le Brassus.

What gives?

Cheers,

Jon
SF, CA

Because everyone loves photos, here is the watch underlying my curiosity...

Last edited by gingi310; 22 November 2013 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Added photo...
gingi310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2013, 05:40 AM   #50
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingi310 View Post
Submarino: First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this out.

I am wondering what the basis is for your first piece of advice quoted above.

If I buy a high-quality vintage watch with an unknown service history I first wear it for awhile and decide if it is a "keeper." If it is, I go ahead and send it our for service. I have done with with both my Rolex 16750 and Zenith A385 and am glad I did so.

Your advice below to NOT get it serviced is contrary to the advice I have received from most other collectors of vintage watches. I know that an AP service is much more expensive than Rolex, but they are reputed to do a great job in Le Brassus.

What gives?

Cheers,

Jon
SF, CA

Because everyone loves photos, here is the watch underlying my curiosity...

I gave that advise since I try not to send a watch in for service until it stops or if something seems off regarding the running condition of the watch —accuracy, power reserve, crown issues, weird noise coming from the rotor, etc. Sometimes you can avoid a $3-4K bill from a service on a vintage AP Royal Oak or at least postpone the expense if it's in good running condition. By the way that RO on your picture is beautiful!!! Serial???

Old 23 November 2013, 10:35 AM   #51
gingi310
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I gave that advise since I try not to send a watch in for service until it stops or if something seems off regarding the running condition of the watch —accuracy, power reserve, crown issues, weird noise coming from the rotor, etc. Sometimes you can avoid a $3-4K bill from a service on a vintage AP Royal Oak or at least postpone the expense if it's in good running condition. By the way that RO on your picture is beautiful!!! Serial???
That makes sense; I will be hooking mine up to the timer to check beat rate and amplitude and then leave at to check power reserve; haven't been able to take it off the wrist long enough to do that yet.

It's a D Series - 13xx
gingi310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 01:32 PM   #52
seadubs
"TRF" Member

great thread!
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2013, 10:55 PM   #53
Elpana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub TT
Awesome info which will definitely help me as I'm on the quest for a pre-owned ROO safari.
Elpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2013, 09:51 AM   #54
alexinmontreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold RO Jumbo
Weird noise from rotor

Hi and thanks in advance for any info. I have a Jubilee (yes I'm in love) and recently it started making noise when the rotor turns. The watch already loses about 1- 2 mins per day and after reading your post about waiting until the watch stopped before servicing it, I was OK with the time loss. With this new noise, I'm wondering if I'm causing more damage by not doing anything. It actually sounds like it needs oil or a lube job.
What do you think?
14802BA
Old 10 January 2014, 02:37 AM   #55
Speed
"TRF" Member

Great write up Submarino! There is a YouTube video which features some guy reading your post verbatim!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2014, 08:32 AM   #56
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Great write up Submarino! There is a YouTube video which features some guy reading your post verbatim!
Thanks, yes I've seen it with Archie Luxury. I should charge him for not giving me credit on it.

Old 10 January 2014, 10:20 AM   #57
Speed
"TRF" Member

That's exactly what I thought!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2014, 10:00 AM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Thanks, yes I've seen it with Archie Luxury. I should charge him for not giving me credit on it.
he did you a favor, hes off the rails, i don't think you would want to be associated… maybe have him served to put a disclaimer that you do not support his raving foul mouth insanity

great bunch of info
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 02:14 AM   #59
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
he did you a favor, hes off the rails, i don't think you would want to be associated… maybe have him served to put a disclaimer that you do not support his raving foul mouth insanity

great bunch of info
Agree with you Gus. I might reach out and have him remove the video. At the end of the day he is using my content and not talking very nicely about AP.

Old 19 March 2014, 01:47 PM   #60
Mr.Kwok
"TRF" Member

thx for the info.
Mr.Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote