The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 14 September 2015, 08:05 PM   #61
Toby1
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one who, looking at the first magnified image of the back sees a sliver of something sticking to the rotor?

Maybe this has been addressed.......
Toby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 04:17 AM   #62
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby1 View Post
Am I the only one who, looking at the first magnified image of the back sees a sliver of something sticking to the rotor?

Maybe this has been addressed.......
Lint on the back of the case, not inside.

Thanks
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2015, 12:44 AM   #63
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
well said
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 10:54 PM   #64
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the detailed review and this watch has since become my grail watch. Since the waiting list for this watch is damn long (could be more than 1 year), I have started saving up for this watch by starting a watch fund :)
Newbie@SIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 11:05 PM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Brian, so pleased to hear that you are still enjoying your 5711 as much today as you did when you first bought it. I think that is the ultimate statement for your choice
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2015, 09:28 PM   #66
etef
"TRF" Member

Great review and pics! What a classy piece. Thanks for sharing.
etef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 09:12 PM   #67
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Stunning.

Awesome review.

Big congrats.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 10:17 PM   #68
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etef View Post
Great review and pics! What a classy piece. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 3 August 2016, 02:52 AM   #69
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Thanks!
thanks for this review. I am very much interested in the same watch. it is either the PP, gold sub or day date.

do you still have it? any complaints?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 03:02 AM   #70
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
thanks for this review. I am very much interested in the same watch. it is either the PP, gold sub or day date.

do you still have it? any complaints?
Yes I still have it and my only complaint would be that I tend to wear it too often, neglecting my other watches.
Old 3 August 2016, 03:04 AM   #71
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Yes I still have it and my only complaint would be that I tend to wear it too often, neglecting my other watches.
thanks. im still a few years away from any of the options.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 07:21 PM   #72
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, FPJ + LF
And if one day you get bored of the white dial, you can always buy a "spare" blue one for 2000$ : )

Old 16 September 2016, 12:51 PM   #73
dmitrii_
"TRF" Member

Great review and great reference. White dial 5711 snuck its way into consideration for me after reading your praise for it. Thnx.

ig: therolexgram
dmitrii_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2016, 10:28 PM   #74
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrii_ View Post
Great review and great reference. White dial 5711 snuck its way into consideration for me after reading your praise for it. Thnx.
My pleasure
Old 19 September 2016, 11:27 AM   #75
raymz
Banned

Watch: A few
Interesting review although i would love to know how you would feel after a few months of use, hope you get to update it soon.
raymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 09:48 PM   #76
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymz View Post
Interesting review although i would love to know how you would feel after a few months of use, hope you get to update it soon.
I posted the review on 18 July 2013, 08:34 AM so it has had a lot of months of use!

I still love the watch after three years! Gets the most wrist time of all the watches that I own.
Old 7 November 2016, 04:03 AM   #77
Tourbeon
"TRF" Member

Great detailed review!
Tourbeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 12:57 AM   #78
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
I talked to a person whom visited Patek in New York recently. It seems they're hiring kids as watchmakers, with zero experience-- they are training them of course and having them take loads of math tests to even get to the second interviews. They're training a new generation of watch makers and repair personnel, above all they're not a stuffy company (despite being in my opinion overpriced behind comprehension compared,to jlc and other. Makers of nearly equal quality --my opinion only!). Someday I'll own a nautilus or aquanaut. I was very impressed to hear of their New York facilities and non stuffy atmosphere. I also was told they make the dials for audemar royal oaks , which I did not know. I pictured Patek as being a bit stuffy but the person said nothing was stuffy at all about the company or atmosphere. That person works for an AD OF Patek.

I love the white dial in the pics. This watch flies under the radar in a beautiful understated way. Congrats. I can afford this but can't bring myself to buy such a beautiful piece!
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:33 AM   #79
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Update:

After three years and four months my 5711 developed a problem. It will no longer wind via the winding stem. The watch will wind via the rotor. So off I go in search of service since I am out of warranty.

I visit a local watchmaker who have worked on other watches for me including my Rolex. He tells me that two years ago Patek stopped allowing him to order parts.

I visit a local AD and ask if the watchmaker is in. He takes one look at my Patek and says "you need to send it to Patek". I said "Patek says their authorized dealers may be able to service their watches. I am hoping this is minor". "Sorry, we send all Patek pieces to New York we do not work on them here".

Oh well, scary to send it for service to New York but I guess I have no choice.

Went to the US Post Office to send via Registered Mail. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that you can send it Registered Priority. It will take two days and with the insurance cost $67.00 to send.

I will keep this thread updated with progress, length of time, problem and how the service went.
Old 16 November 2016, 12:11 PM   #80
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
So nice and sporty silver white. Love it.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 12:26 PM   #81
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good luck with the fix. This is why I have stuck with Rolex after straying to another brand - reliability.

I would love to own a Patek but I am 67 and can't deal with a watch that won't last a very long time without servicing.

But I vicariously enjoy Pateks via this forum. You wrote an excellent review. Thanks.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 10:25 PM   #82
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Good luck with the fix. This is why I have stuck with Rolex after straying to another brand - reliability.

I would love to own a Patek but I am 67 and can't deal with a watch that won't last a very long time without servicing.

But I vicariously enjoy Pateks via this forum. You wrote an excellent review. Thanks.
Thanks!

I am not unhappy, just sad that it may take three months and nervous about it moving around like it needs to.

Everything needs service eventually.
Old 16 November 2016, 10:37 PM   #83
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck with the service Brian
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 11:00 PM   #84
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post

One of my closest friends dad bought a Nautilus 3800 new in 82-84 something and wore pretty much as his daily. It was not until sometime in the 2000's that he serviced it for the first and only time because it stopped completely. It's beaten and worn to death on the outside, the seals and the movement has been almost bombproof.
Old 23 November 2016, 05:33 AM   #85
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Status update:

Well two day Priority Registered delivery from the USPS turned into seven days!. Not really a complaint, just a little nerve wracking. Don't tell me two and take seven.

Glad it is there at Patek, now I will await the estimate.
Old 2 December 2016, 12:33 AM   #86
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Status update:

First off, wow Patek in New York and Richard (thanks) was super helpful, very thorough and patient.

I feel much better discussing the process and gaining an understanding of what the service will involve.

Patek has my watch and will issue a notice of receipt. Then they photograph the watch, note the serial numbers and perform an inspection. I will get a letter for each task.

The entire process will take 21 weeks at this point for a full service, disassembly, cleaning, repair of problem with the winding stem, re-assembly, quality check and regulation.

The quoted cost at this time is $900 for the service (dependent on problem and parts needed), $380 if I want a polish (they will inspect and advise) and $50 for two-day Fed Ex delivery.

I will continue to update this process.

Thanks.
Old 8 December 2016, 05:11 AM   #87
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
OOFA! 21 weeks?????

You may be able to learn how to fix it yourself faster.

Here's to hoping they move it along much faster than expected!
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 10:33 PM   #88
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
OOFA! 21 weeks?????

You may be able to learn how to fix it yourself faster.

Here's to hoping they move it along much faster than expected!
Update three:

Yes 21 weeks. Richard explained that they do everything in house and the volume of repairs combined with the complete tear down, repair and rebuild takes this amount of time. So far more than a "fix".

The repair estimate came back and was actually far more than the first estimate. My watch also needs a barrel bridge and a reduction wheel as well as the service. Apparently they did not feel it needed a polish.

So with two-day return shipping the total comes to $1744.00.

I can live with the time to repair as I have other watches to wear and knowing that it will return like new, regulated and serviced.

I will update when I have something further.
Old 13 December 2016, 04:20 AM   #89
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Update four:

After speaking to Patek about the estimate and the failure of two parts after 3.5 years, I was told the following by Richard, who by the way is very helpful and thorough with the explanations.

Patek says the watch suffered a shock, with no visible signs on the case. I did not damage the watch in any way. Richard says it could have been at any time.

Richard agrees that the barrel bridge which was wearing (and now out of tolerance) and should NOT have worn this way even with the loss of clearance, especially given the age. The reduction wheel has a broken rivet, again they say because of shock.

Richard will now look into more of an explanation as he was just looking at the notes provided for the initial estimate.

I returned the estimate form giving my approval for the repair and Richard says that if there is an adjustment they will change the invoice accordingly.

I will continue to update as I get more info.
Old 20 December 2016, 05:33 AM   #90
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Update five:

After getting the watch examined by the head watchmaker, I am told that even if there were a significant shock to the watch, the barrel bridge should not have exhibited that amount of wear for at least another 7-10 years or longer.

As an accommodation by Patek, the have acknowledged that the part may have been defective and they have agreed to replace the part at no cost to me. I did not question the reduction wheel part as I am happy that they covered what they did.

Very happy with the responsiveness of Patek and the thoroughness of the explanations given to me.

With the approval already received, I am counting down the 20~ weeks until I have it back.

I will update as we go along.