The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 July 2016, 02:59 AM   #1
Catnapper
"TRF" Member

Stolen Rolex Milgauss 6541

Hi guys

I had a Rolex Milgauss 6541. Case number 412270 stolen from me in 1998 and have heard nothing through the years that have passed. I bought the watch when I was a youngster and in RAF and stationed in Singapore back in 1958 . I treated myself for my 21st . I went into the local NAFFI shop and saw three rolex watches in a show case one was a submariner another was a GMT master and the last one was a Milgauss . I had great difficulty choosing as I liked them all, the Milgauss did not have the date like the others and no shoulder for the winder but as I was trained as a radar fitter thought that as the Milgauss was antimagnetic it would be more suitable for me . I wore it every day for forty years until the day it was stolen .
I read in the local paper that a firm was buying rolex watches at a club in Gosford and would give the best price if I wished to sell so I polished it up and put it in its box with papers to try and find out how much it was worth. Unfortunately I made a mistake on the day of the valuations and attended on a Saturday when the event was a Sunday . I put the watch with its box in the boot of my car whilst I made inquiries and when I returned to the car I found that it had been broken into and the watch gone . I reported it to the police but they were not interested just gave me a telephone number to report missing items from my car.
At that time I had no idea of the value of the watch but thought it was quite special as I never ever saw one like it in all the years I had it.
Now of course with the internet I have seen them sold for £150,000 ( $ 300000) plus and mine was in extremely good condition. A few years ago I notified my loss on a couple of Rolex forums but have not had any luck on its location.
I thought that it was worth putting it out there again in case of anyone knowing anything that would lead to finding it . Can't believe when I watch antiques roadshow and see a gold pocket watch made by some famous watchmaker and they value it at £5000 and an old stainless steel rolex sell for $150000 .
I don't really expect to see it again now , it meant more to me than it should have done as I guess it really is not worth that sort of money ,only to collectors.
I never thought of insuring it so never been in a position to replace it.
Like to hear comments & suggestions
Regards Mick.
Catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2016, 05:42 AM   #2
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
I hate to be the first one to say this but I don't think you would have any luck recovering now even if you located the watch. The police did you in injustice by not making an official report out, as far as I know without it you could have no case.

Just my opinion, not a lawyer or in law enforcement.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 03:46 AM   #3
Rameez-Q
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Date,
It's quite some time to recover it and even then you would have to prove it was yours.

If you have the serial you can report it to Rolex but this could be a buyer who bought the watch innocently and gets stung. Either way it's highly unlikely you'll ever see it again. IMO I would move on and not see it as your golden ticket out.
Old 7 July 2016, 04:17 AM   #4
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
if you have proof of original purchase by you for this watch and you are able to locate the watch I would bet you would have a very fair shot of getting it back
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 04:47 AM   #5
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
I think that it is universal that in order to make a claim for the recovery of stolen property you would have to show some evidence that the property was indeed stolen, usually a police report.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 12:23 PM   #6
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, very sorry to hear of your loss. It's obviously bothered you over all these years. You might consider posting this story (including the serial number) on other sites as well, such as vintage Rolex forum dot com. There are serious collectors here, and at other sites such as the one I mentioned. If the watch has survived, it's possible it's now in a collection. If you have spare time to do some investigating, you might also check 'sold' lots at the big auction houses (I don't know if or how you can see serials of sold watches, maybe they publish the full number or at least a good portion of it?); see if it's ever made its way through one. Who knows?

Good luck and keep us posted if anything turns up.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 11:04 PM   #7
Catnapper
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your replys
Catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote