The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 July 2016, 04:05 AM   #61
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
There's no rational justfication for wearing an expensive watch underwater, vintage or otherwise.

There's also no rational justification for being more worried about an older watch with properly-maintained and tested gaskets/crystal than a new one. Rolex built their reputation on how reliably these watches keep water out, as long as it isn't pitted, the steel's age is irrelevant.

Personally, I get some measure of satisfaction out of using a watch as originally intended, and that's reason enough for me.

Cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
^
Plus you can confirm the seals' integrity in the dry tester after assembly.

I honestly can't think of a good reason for some people to worry so much about this stuff. It must be an emotional thing.
This sounds like the voice of reason
Old 7 July 2016, 06:46 AM   #62
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
It's commentary and you did make it personal when you said I was tryingnto just get attention. Sorry if I was having fun. This is at the heart of these forums. And also at the Core of buying a diving watch and sitting in a swimming pool with it.
I was not talking about you, rather the OP. I apologize if you took it as directed at you, was not intended.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:03 AM   #63
jmsjabb
"TRF" Member

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
I was not talking about you, rather the OP. I apologize if you took it as directed at you, was not intended.
What a shame. I am new to vintage watches and am excited about my first Tudor. I always wanted a birth year, and had no idea, when I bought one, I would be restricted with such a quality watch. I bought it to wear, not pamper, and use and enjoy. It was a harmless question, of which I have a few more, but am now reluctant to ask.
I had hoped the forum would be a friendly place to share knowledge, experience and maybe make new friends.
I'm sorry I don't know as much as some, and may now never really apreciate my watch as much as I could. I will keep my questions, and leave the elite to chat amongst themselves. Cheers!
jmsjabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:10 AM   #64
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
You replied to Harry's post. And now you've got the OP turned-off on our forum here because you said you were replying to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 5.08.49 PM.jpg (13.1 KB, 127 views)
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:10 AM   #65
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsjabb View Post
What a shame. I am new to vintage watches and am excited about my first Tudor. I always wanted a birth year, and had no idea, when I bought one, I would be restricted with such a quality watch. I bought it to wear, not pamper, and use and enjoy. It was a harmless question, of which I have a few more, but am now reluctant to ask.
I had hoped the forum would be a friendly place to share knowledge, experience and maybe make new friends.
I'm sorry I don't know as much as some, and may now never really apreciate my watch as much as I could. I will keep my questions, and leave the elite to chat amongst themselves. Cheers!
Please don't be discouraged! You're very welcome here
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:16 AM   #66
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
No need to apologise in anyway. Most people on this Forum are very helpful and I hope we have given you the best and most informed advice possible. On any forum, no matter what the subject matter, there is always the overbearing type, you just have to see past their input and take away the information you need. Good luck and don't disappear from TRF. Cheers.

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:23 AM   #67
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
Jmsjabb, I think that you will find the forum in better form most of the time. I really don't think anyone here ever thought the less of you for your questioning even though it seemed so. I think this one question, which is a common one, always causes some dispute and disagreement and it is one that has no answer, just opinions.

Please just let this little bit of controversy roll off your back like water off a duck.

And, come back and post more.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 07:25 AM   #68
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
You replied to Harry's post. And now you've got the OP turned-off on our forum here because you said you were replying to him.
No. I posted: "What is the point of taking a risk with an old, rare, valuable vintage watch? Even if you could, even if the watch were certified waterproof, why take the risk under any circumstance? What is there to gain?" As a question to another poster and then Harry responded "Because fun".

If the OP is turned off by this forum because of the bickering, welcome to the club, I feel likewise. This place is anything but welcoming to new folks.
Old 7 July 2016, 07:30 AM   #69
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
1. Your watch is something to cherish, congratulations.

2. It's your decision to wear it in the water or not, but you asked for opinions and you got them.

3. This can be a friendly and welcoming place but there are some posters here who don't want to hear honest opinions, I've felt the same way you feel now. I didn't mean to make you feel likewise.

4. There is no proof that your watch would have a complication if submerged but there are those of us who feel that it is not worth the risk either way.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 7 July 2016, 07:36 AM   #70
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

That being said, if someone wants to go swimming with their Mil Sub or what have you, I think it's silly, but it's their watch and if they take the risk, so be it..

BUT PLEASE...no boo hoo posts about your messed up ,formerly beautiful vintage piece that had its seal fail during a skinny dip and the watch is an absolute mess now, destined to be ruined with unoriginal repair parts.

It's like your friend who keeps dating exotic dancers. They can do what they want, just don't complain about it when it all goes wrong.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 08:33 AM   #71
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
What a shame.. . .
I think that you are assessing an entire forum, and finding misguided opinions of your watch, from a few newcomers and immature attention-getters (hardly elitists in any form) who don't usually hang around any forum for too long or are simply ignored by most.

The vast majority here are truly knowledgeable; can, and will, answer your questions and support your love for the mechanical time-piece.
Old 7 July 2016, 09:25 AM   #72
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

That being said, if someone wants to go swimming with their Mil Sub or what have you, I think it's silly, but it's their watch and if they take the risk, so be it..

BUT PLEASE...no boo hoo posts about your messed up ,formerly beautiful vintage piece that had its seal fail during a skinny dip and the watch is an absolute mess now, destined to be ruined with unoriginal repair parts.

It's like your friend who keeps dating exotic dancers. They can do what they want, just don't complain about it when it all goes wrong.

+1. "How hard is it to find a new red 1680 dial?"
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 08:06 PM   #73
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
So to expand on this philosophy of "Don't swim with an older Sub even if WR-tested because it's not easy to replace if something happens" does that mean that I'm not going to go fly a P-51 or Waco where the airframes and engines have been currently inspected and signed-off as airworthy just because they're 70 or 80 years old?

Yeah, right.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 08:06 PM   #74
ABChop
"TRF" Member

I always ask myself, what is there to gain from this?
So....I do not subject my meters first Red Sub to water.
Even though Bob Ridley serviced and pressure tested it.
He still recommended avoiding water as it is the number one cause he sees of dial damage.
If i really need to know the time in the pool, I have plenty of other watches to wear in the water.
To me it isn't worth the risk of damaging my dial.
Even if I was Bill Gates and had 20 Red Subs...I still wouldn't risk the damage.
But to each their own.
If their dial gets water damaged, I won't be paying to fix it : )
And one less dial makes the value of mine go up, so by all means take your vintage Red Subs scuba diving : )
- 116660 DSSD D-Blue, 124060, 126613LN, 116710BLNR
- 116500LN White Dial - “U” 16610 “SWISS” dial
ABChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 10:30 PM   #75
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Another thread ruined. Hope the OP sticks around.
Old 8 July 2016, 02:11 AM   #76
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So to expand on this philosophy of "Don't swim with an older Sub even if WR-tested because it's not easy to replace if something happens" does that mean that I'm not going to go fly a P-51 or Waco where the airframes and engines have been currently inspected and signed-off as airworthy just because they're 70 or 80 years old?

Yeah, right.
Totally agree.

Dan
Old 8 July 2016, 02:12 AM   #77
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Totally agree even more.

Dan
Old 8 July 2016, 04:10 AM   #78
TudorSnowflake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Heritage Ranger
When engaged in risky activities, I wear the Seiko.
TudorSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2016, 05:28 AM   #79
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Remains an unanswered question.

What is your experience with vintage,
Dive, swim or pedestal?
Old 8 July 2016, 05:36 AM   #80
jmsjabb
"TRF" Member

Guys, thanks for the comments and the PMs. Wasn't expecting that.
I am enjoying reading posts and learning. I will stick around and ask more when I need. I have answered a few questions already reading on here and other forums.

FWIW, I have decided to get it tested and see what is said.
jmsjabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2016, 05:46 AM   #81
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Remains an unanswered question.

What is your experience with vintage,
Dive, swim or pedestal?
Definitely not pedestal. I don't dive (as in scuba), but I love swimming and snorkelling with a little humble (shallow) 'free-diving', and I have used vintage when doing this ('66 gilt 1675 and '70 RED 1680).

I usually take my E-serial 16600 (1990) on beach holidays, although I did take the 1680 to the Maldives once. No problems with any of them.

I can completely see the 'why risk it?' argument, but if it's passed a recent pressure test, then it's good to go. One could equally argue, "Why risk having an accident by driving? Best to leave the car at home and take the bus..."

They were made to get wet. Oyster case. Screw-down crown etc. etc.
The names are on the dials; SUBMARINER...SEA-DWELLER...
Old 8 July 2016, 06:12 AM   #82
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely not pedestal. I don't dive (as in scuba), but I love swimming and snorkelling with a little humble (shallow) 'free-diving', and I have used vintage when doing this ('66 gilt 1675 and '70 RED 1680).

I usually take my E-serial 16600 (1990) on beach holidays, although I did take the 1680 to the Maldives once. No problems with any of them.

I can completely see the 'why risk it?' argument, but if it's passed a recent pressure test, then it's good to go. One could equally argue, "Why risk having an accident by driving? Best to leave the car at home and take the bus..."

They were made to get wet. Oyster case. Screw-down crown etc. etc.
The names are on the dials; SUBMARINER...SEA-DWELLER...
Thank you.
Pragmatic Value in that answer