The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #1
Applebaum
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & BB58
Bought a Tropical Omega Genève 166.0173 from 1973 on a whim - what do you think?

Came across this watch at an online auction with 1 minute on the clock. I've been looking for a dresswatch and the tropical dial + 36mm size got me so I pulled the trigger for about $570 all-in.

Info that I have:
- 37733716 serial makes it from 1973
- reference inside case is correct
- a quick search shows me the hour and minute hands have been replaced (original has a pointy ends, although I did find other examples online with the same hands - maybe someone can help?)
- original crown + crystal and I think the bracelet is correct too.

See pics below + link to album with more.

Applebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:57 AM   #2
Applebaum
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & BB58
Why I think these hands did not came with this watch:
Applebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 06:37 AM   #3
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I like it. IMHO price was not bad and you said you wanted a 36mm watch like that so it was not something you did in the heat of the moment. The bracelet is original and the stretch is noticeable but I believe you already considered that before buying. Regarding the hands I think they can be original as well because Omega used to have small variations in the hands in the same models depending on the year, and if you compare both pics even the black second hand is the same, so I'd say they could have been there from the start. As for the dial defect that you and everyone else call 'tropical', I'm afraid it won't add value to the watch yet, maybe in the future, who knows. Rolex is still number one brand on that alchemy. Dial defects in many forms are transformed into character by smart sellers to add value to their vintage watches, but apart from the Speedmaster Moon no other Omega had this privilege so far. Having said that, I hope you send it for service right away and I hope you get it back working like a champ. Enjoy your new watch.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote