The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2023, 02:23 AM   #31
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
Ran for years but now at 55 …a lifetime of sports and running has exacted its revenge. My wife however has really taken to it over the last 5 years.
Ran her first marathon in 3:25 to qualify for Boston. Ran Boston last year (a gruelling course) in 3:22 but got run off the road on a training run before she could run Chicago. Broken leg and torn hip labrum.
Recuperated and started competing in Duathlons. Qualifies for the world championships in Ibiza and we just returned 3 weeks ago. Proud to say she finished 11th in the world for her age group.
Now healed, she will take up her deferred request and run Chicago again this fall.
I run vicariously though her now and cheer with our daughters.
3:25 is really good! Never managed to get sub 3:30 on the 42.2km. I prefer going for longer, not faster
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 02:39 AM   #32
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Agreed, great little thread this.

TLDR - I’ve too done a bit of running

I’m an outdoor runner. Just getting back into it after a year out with injury. Last year I had a long awaited Op to repair a torn meniscus and ACL. Unfortunately there were complications with my recovery which has delayed me getting back to my normal running.

I was never particularly fast. In my opinion, my best ever run was finally breaking the 20min mark for a 5k, which took some serious focus for me. I’ve always been on the heavy side, mainly due to over eating but more recently from bulking up at the gym. This extra weight does you no favours when running! In October 2018 I got my 10k PB which was just over 42 mins which I was very happy with.

My longest run up to this point was half marathon in 2017 which I completed in 1hr 27mins. After my 10k PB, I signed up for a 50 mile trail ultra marathon in January 2019, so had 3 months to get ready for a big jump in distance. This was asking a lot from someone who was a heavy runner and had little long distance experience. I went out 1 day and did 20 miles, which nearly broke me. A month later I ran my first marathon. It was a training run in winter, on my own in the rain and it was brutal! Got through that ok, but in December I went out for a final training marathon, I got my wife to meet me at a pre determined destination and I was over an hour late, completely broken and in tears! Wasn’t sure I was cut out for this at all!

The day of the ultra came late in January 2019. It was a wonderful day and remains to this day one of my proudest moments. It started at the south of the county I was born and still live in, and ended on the north Norfolk coast. I remember crying as I approached the coast knowing I only had around 5 miles left to run. I ended up finishing the ultra in 9hrs and 9secs. I was brutal, but in many ways easier than some of the training runs that stood me in such good stead for this race.

I’d love to get back to that level of running, but a lot of works is needed to get back there!

Running is such a positive for me, and my well-being is improved every time I head out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 03:08 AM   #33
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Outdoor runner here, mostly trails.
Currently taking it a bit easy, only running 40-50km a week, but there have been weeks of 100km+ when training for marathons and ultra marathons.

Want to do a 100miler trail ultra and a full distance iron man in the next year or two. Nothing like grinding for a long distance race.

Shoes: I have ran on ASICS GT -2000 for years, the trail version is also quite good but Salomon makes better shoes for technical mountain trails. Also really love Hoka, their softer sole is heaven on recovery runs, bit bulky soles for technical trails so not recommended for that.

That’s some serious weekly mileage right there! I doff my cap, Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 09:46 AM   #34
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
After a daily lifting session….elliptical, stair master, Peloton, treadmill. Sometimes 2 of those, sometimes 3…for 90 minutes. If I’m outside, it’s on the road to run, and I’ll do that anywhere, especially if I can try somewhere new on vacation. Usually before before most wake up (5:30 ish) Love doing races as well. Duathlon, bike, road, triathlon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That’s quite a home gym Richard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 10:06 AM   #35
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Have been running for over 30 years. Just retired after 211 marathons. Still running 50-60 miles per week. Hate the gym, treadmills etc. When competing I tried to stay ready for a marathon at all times. Usually 5 eight mile days and then an 11 miler each week and a 22 miler every third week.

Lots of favorites but have done New York eleven times and Boston three times. London also a favorite. Twice did the Western States Ultra. Also Hawaii Ironman twice.

Wife says I lack common sense and she cannot be doubted.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 09:50 PM   #36
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
That’s quite a home gym Richard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you. Not quite finished yet, but at least the equipment is there
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 11:28 PM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Have been running for over 30 years. Just retired after 211 marathons. Still running 50-60 miles per week. Hate the gym, treadmills etc. When competing I tried to stay ready for a marathon at all times. Usually 5 eight mile days and then an 11 miler each week and a 22 miler every third week.

Lots of favorites but have done New York eleven times and Boston three times. London also a favorite. Twice did the Western States Ultra. Also Hawaii Ironman twice.

That’s incredible Frank
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 07:02 AM   #38
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post

Very impressive!
I'd never qualify for Western states, I'm too slow lol. Also I'd be happy to finish an IM, let alone qualify for IM Hawaii
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 10:22 AM   #39
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am sure you hard-core runners know what I am talking about with the runners high. I have experienced it really only a couple times in my life, some while running but more often when I am really pushing myself hiking in the mountains. There is no other feeling like it in the world. I distinctly feel like I am still, my legs hardly moving at all but the whole world around me is moving in the direction to my rear. I look around and everything seems so… vivid, the colors so clear, the air you can almost see. I don’t push myself like I used to, but still get to that high once in a while. It makes every pain and breath of running/hiking worth it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote