The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2023, 12:55 AM   #121
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This male blue bar Ambilobe panther chameleon is a offspring from my old male blue bar, which will be my new
main breeding male now 18 months old.

Picture of my male Nosy Mitsio panther chameleon quite a rare chameleon now 14 months old when he gets a bit older will show more red around eyes and head depending on mood.

Very cool Pete. What sparked your interest in chameleons and Bonsai?

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 01:04 AM   #122
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Very cool Pete. What sparked your interest in chameleons and Bonsai?

Well got hooked on Bonsai by my grandfather, as for chameleons after watching a program on TV.And quite avid amateur radio operator worked most countries world wide although not so active as I once was.Love all mechanical watches and studied the history of the RWC for over 50 years but in the end they are just inanimate things which is a lot different to keeping living things that rely on your care and responsibility to keep them alive.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 02:28 AM   #123
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well got hooked on Bonsai by my grandfather, as for chameleons after watching a program on TV.And quite avid amateur radio operator worked most countries world wide although not so active as I once was.Love all mechanical watches and studied the history of the RWC for over 50 years but in the end they are just inanimate things which is a lot different to keeping living things that rely on your care and responsibility to keep them alive.

Is there any bonsai and chameleon uncommon knowledge you’ve learned throughout your experience that you’d care to share? I’m fascinated and this thread actually led me to buy my own bonsai and try to raise it.

Old 25 February 2023, 02:55 AM   #124
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Is there any bonsai and chameleon uncommon knowledge you’ve learned throughout your experience that you’d care to share? I’m fascinated and this thread actually led me to buy my own bonsai and try to raise it.

As for Bonsai always buy from a proper Bonsai shop if new to hobby use the correct proper Bonsai soils.Never be in a hurry let tree grow before styling never over water or let dry out completely.Chameleons read as much as you can about what species you want to keep and use correct housing heating and lighting and live food.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 February 2023, 03:06 AM   #125
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As for Bonsai always buy from a proper Bonsai shop if new to hobby use the correct proper Bonsai soils.Never be in a hurry let tree grow before styling never over water or let dry out completely.Chameleons read as much as you can about what species you want to keep and use correct housing heating and lighting and live food.

I presume the chameleons are omnivores then? For some reason I thought they were herbivores.

I already messed up the first rule of bonsai, I bought mine from sams.

Old 25 February 2023, 03:44 AM   #126
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I presume the chameleons are omnivores then? For some reason I thought they were herbivores.

I already messed up the first rule of bonsai, I bought mine from sams.

Well some chameleons will eat some flowers and greens especially the Yemen chameleons,but myself have never seen this with mine.Now my Yemen will mainly eat crickets and roaches, while the panthers there favourite are locusts and silkworms but will eat most live insects.But chameleons drink by licking the plants in there vivarium that you have sprayed with water.But I have trained mine to drink from my water spray bottle I squirt water into their mouth or on the tongue.Regarding there tongue it's quite long and very fast and accurate as they shoot it out to catch there pray food.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 February 2023, 04:02 AM   #127
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well some chameleons will eat some flowers and greens especially the Yemen chameleons,but myself have never seen this with mine.Now my Yemen will mainly eat crickets and roaches, while the panthers there favourite are locusts and silkworms but will eat most live insects.But chameleons drink by licking the plants in there vivarium that you have sprayed with water.But I have trained mine to drink from my water spray bottle I squirt water into their mouth or on the tongue.Regarding there tongue it's quite long and very fast and accurate as they shoot it out to catch there pray food.

I had an iguana on one of my projects and have video of him eating plants. I guess even though they’re all reptiles, there is many different eating habits between chameleons, lizards and iguanas. Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a lizard eat anything beyond insects.

It’s a testament to your care for these creatures that you’ve trained a chameleon. That seems in and of itself a feat of extraordinary proportions.

Do you have to have a special license to import, own and breed the chameleons?

Old 25 February 2023, 04:11 AM   #128
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I had an iguana on one of my projects and have video of him eating plants. I guess even though they’re all reptiles, there is many different eating habits between chameleons, lizards and iguanas. Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a lizard eat anything beyond insects.

It’s a testament to your care for these creatures that you’ve trained a chameleon. That seems in and of itself a feat of extraordinary proportions.

Do you have to have a special license to import, own and breed the chameleons?

All my chameleons are from captive stock so myself don't need a licence to sell private or to the trade.But if I was a trading as a reptile store business then I would need a licence to sell or import..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 February 2023, 06:28 PM   #129
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
Just amazed by your bonsai trees.
My wife and I have really enjoyed admiring them.
Thank you for taking time to share them with us!
Well thank you both much appreciated.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 February 2023, 01:52 AM   #130
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
A little bright spot in the gloom of winter

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 02:13 AM   #131
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Looks like a healthy tree looks to be one of the many Cryptomeria species.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 February 2023, 02:35 AM   #132
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Looks like a healthy tree looks to be one of the many Cryptomeria species.
17 year Juniperus procumbens "Nana"

ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 03:10 AM   #133
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
17 year Juniperus procumbens "Nana"

I have one too great trees for bonsai.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 February 2023, 03:21 AM   #134
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

We’re going to need pictures of this
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 03:24 AM   #135
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Q for Padi56 re Bonsai tree trims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We’re going to need pictures of this

My man, you don’t want pictures of it right now.
It’s at best pathetic compared to the other trees on this thread. It cost me $20 from Sam’s.

There’s not much you could say about my tree that you couldn’t say about any war torn countries landscape or environment.

But for the spirit of the thread and maybe Pete can give me some pointers. Here ya go.

Please note, I know I didn’t wire it correctly. I wired it how it worked for me. Aesthetics aren’t my objective at this point.

Old 26 February 2023, 05:18 AM   #136
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
It’s at best pathetic compared to the other trees on this thread. It cost me $20 from Sam’s.

There’s not much you could say about my tree that you couldn’t say about any war torn countries landscape or environment.

But for the spirit of the thread and maybe Pete can give me some pointers. Here ya go.

Please note, I know I didn’t wire it correctly. I wired it how it worked for me. Aesthetics aren’t my objective at this point.

You are a braver man than I I hope it brings you years of enjoyment!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 06:18 AM   #137
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You are a braver man than I I hope it brings you years of enjoyment!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I hope it is Peter approved within the next 20 yrs.

Old 26 February 2023, 06:10 PM   #138
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

First has pot got drain holes in bottom or is a pot within a pot, if not get a proper bonsai pot slightly larger then slip pot into new pot repack with bonsai soil.Tree could do with a trim the larger longer branches top of tree trim about a third to half off then let it grow.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 February 2023, 12:46 AM   #139
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

False Cedar or sometimes called plum Cedar tree its quite a big tree now stands just over 4ft.6 inches tall and around 80 years old, picture taken of winter image later foliage will turn green.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 February 2023, 12:53 AM   #140
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Q for Padi56 re Bonsai tree trims.

Quote:
First has pot got drain holes in bottom or is a pot within a pot, if not get a proper bonsai pot slightly larger then slip pot into new pot repack with bonsai soil.Tree could do with a trim the larger longer branches top of tree trim about a third to half off then let it grow.

Thanks for the tips Peter. I trimmed some of the top branches. Ordered a proper pot as well.

Any idea what kind of tree it is? Sticker on the pot just says “bonsai”.

Old 27 February 2023, 01:08 AM   #141
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Peter. I trimmed some of the top branches. Ordered a proper pot as well.

Any idea what kind of tree it is? Sticker on the pot just says “bonsai”.

Well not 100%sure but leaves look quite shiny could be what they commonly call a Fukien Tea Tree.
PS tree looks better after trim

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 February 2023, 01:12 AM   #142
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well not 100%sure but leaves look quite shiny could be what they commonly call a Fukien Tea Tree.

Just looked em up and I think you’re 100% correct. Now I’m worried because they’re apparently indoor trees and mine is an outside tree.

Old 27 February 2023, 01:31 AM   #143
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Just looked em up and I think you’re 100% correct. Now I’m worried because they’re apparently indoor trees and mine is an outside tree.

Well in the real world. no trees grow inside some just come from different countries and temperature zone's.So your tree will need some indoor protection when temperature drops low, but still needs to be put so it gets plenty of light and free from cold drafts but not any over heating.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 February 2023, 01:33 AM   #144
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well in the real world. no trees grow inside some just come from different countries and temperature zone's.So your tree will need some indoor protection when temperature drops low, but still needs to be put so it gets plenty of light and free from cold drafts but not any over heating.

It’s on my front porch. Gets sun till about 10am. Then it still gets light and air but is shaded for the rest of the day. It doesn’t freeze here often, when it does I will bring it inside.

Old 27 February 2023, 06:33 PM   #145
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
It’s on my front porch. Gets sun till about 10am. Then it still gets light and air but is shaded for the rest of the day. It doesn’t freeze here often, when it does I will bring it inside.

That should be fine but will say this in general these types of trees are mass produced in China mostly.They are grown in fields or huge poly tunnels then just stuck in a pot and shipped around the world.Now in general no drain holes in pot very poor soil and just meant to last a few months or so.But if tree has a good root structure a proper bonsai pot and soil with care from owner will last many decades so good luck with your tree..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 February 2023, 06:29 PM   #146
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Buxus Harlandi is native to southeast China, from Hong Kong and other Guangdong islands into Vietnam.Its quite a easy tree to keep but slow growing, and noted for its bark this one is around 40 years old now and quite a rare tree in the UK.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 March 2023, 06:11 PM   #147
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
Peter, Your trees are truly amazing! Thank you for posting them.
Thank you much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
This is something I really wish I would have gotten into during my early years. Fascinating and has to be gratifying.
Nether to old or young to get into keeping Bonsai trees.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 March 2023, 07:52 PM   #148
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Amazing pix and info Peter.

Great to see you posting so much.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 08:42 PM   #149
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Amazing pix and info Peter.

Great to see you posting so much.
Well thanks Eddie and Steve mentioned you ask him about myself when in hospital a few weeks ago. Had a rough time if it was not for the paramedics in the ambulance I would not be here now. Although very passion about the RWC and history of the brand,with many today they have become little more than £$€ object things. But in the end watches are just inanimate objects, my own true passion are my bonsai trees. I have a few trees that belonged to my grandfather, and my grandsons have caught the bonsai bug from me. And when I am gone they will inherit all my trees and who knows perhaps they will pass them on to there children. With Bonsai and little care from its owner trees could last hundreds of years not many hobbies can do the same.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 March 2023, 10:29 PM   #150
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Glad that close call was sorted out Peter by the skillful paramedics.

Something that strikes me is that bonsai and watchmaking share traits of patience, skill, and meticulous attention to detail.

That last exemplar is a true masterpiece - a result of those traits coming to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote