The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 November 2016, 11:37 AM   #31
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
You want an answer get some decent pics a smart phone can take decent pics these days load a link to any image hosting site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you click on the photos, they expand and are hosted. Quality is fairly good
Old 8 November 2016, 11:39 AM   #32
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
I am 100% in agreement. Too many things just don't add up.
Hard to believe an AD after removing bracelet at both ends, looking at the engraved numbers and bracelet, did not notice or feel anything. .
Adam
Old 8 November 2016, 11:40 AM   #33
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
If you click on the photos, they expand and are hosted. Quality is fairly good

Not on my iPhone Adam, I am on holiday in Thailand using a Thai SIM card unsure if that has anything to do with it

Old 8 November 2016, 11:41 AM   #34
Brettbski
"TRF" Member

Hey HeartRolex,

Not a bad idea at all. I will choose another Rolex AD and give that a shot when I find the time. Also, I apologize for my responses coming in so late. Being a new use, my posts are subject to review before they are posted. (ie. I responded to Gladiator as well, however, it hasn't been approved yet)

Brett

*EDIT* Sorry Gladiator, I tried to reply, but it hasn't been Mod-approved yet. My calculation was a mere guess. I inferred that a single "beat" was equal to a single audible tick of the watch. I then used a BPM tapping tool to tap each audible tick I heard. Once I had the BPM data I converted it into BPH. I'm now learning that my methodology might have been far less than accurate.

Last edited by Brettbski; 8 November 2016 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: additional information
Brettbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2016, 11:43 AM   #35
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not on my iPhone Adam, I am on holiday in Thailand using a Thai SIM card unsure if that has anything to do with it

Ok, sorry to that, I was quite impressed with the photos. .

I would like OP to say , how he knows it runs at 21,700 bph
Old 8 November 2016, 11:56 AM   #36
Brettbski
"TRF" Member

Hey Gladiator,

I edited the post above just above your latest request with the information on BPH. My first reply to you hasn't been Mod-Approved yet and wasn't posted.
Old 8 November 2016, 12:05 PM   #37
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

OK
So its probably running at 28,800, even ETA and Seagull fakes run at that, and Miyota is not as slow as 21,700

So now we have an incorrect crown.

We need a movement photo to truly confirm one way or the other.

Regards
Old 8 November 2016, 12:08 PM   #38
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
No need, the whole thing is fake.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2016, 12:28 PM   #39
Brettbski
"TRF" Member

Hey FreeFly,

I'm not here to question your judgement, only to learn and understand. What makes you conclude that it isn't authentic? Thank you

Brett
Old 8 November 2016, 01:33 PM   #40
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Pretty much everything.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 12:05 AM   #41
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobson View Post
Fake.

Crown logo on dial is wrong.
Same with the crown logo on clasp.
Clasp etching/engraving incorrect.

Few more things as well.

It's a fake
This, it's 100% fake, the middle of the crown doesn't even line up. Hours markers arnt positioned correctly either. It's an easy spot unfortunately could go unnoticed by many though
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 12:52 AM   #42
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

sorry, call me a doubter and I don't mean to offend the OP but I am not convinced that all is what it is supposed to be. The OP says:

" I received the watch pictured below as a gift from a relative." and I immediately think here we go again

We are talking about a gift that is worth well over $5k so it was very nice of that relative

Then a forum member suggests to talk to this relative and inquire about the watch.

OP says "It is an Uncle of mine that lives well out of state and hasn't been much a part of the family." and then " it doesn't seem like an easy conversation to have" and I think WTF - you must have a good enough relationship with him that he gave you what he believes is a $5k plus watch and you don't feel close enough to ask him a question or two about it

I will make it easy for you - "Uncle X - thanks again for the wonderful watch you gave me. I can't believe how lucky I am! However, I think it may need some service. Can you tell me how long ago you bought the watch and who you got it from so I can determine if a service is necessary?"
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 01:15 AM   #43
Brettbski
"TRF" Member

Hi Mfnj,

I take no offense to what you said; you are completely entitled to your opinion of the situation. I am fully aware of how weird the whole thing sounds. I also understand that it makes perfect sense to just ask him, and there may be plenty of people that do that immediately. I am a bit different in that I wanted to do my own research first. I saw this forum's analysis of other pieces, respected their opinions and thought that no harm could be done by gathering a few about the watch in question. Make no mistake, I'll bring it to his attention. But in order to mitigate the risk of looking ungrateful, I wanted to do a little digging first. That's all.

Brett
Old 9 November 2016, 01:46 AM   #44
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

No problem, and thanks for the detailed response! I always like the direct approach but I hope it all works out and it turns out to be a wonderful gift. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettbski View Post
Hi Mfnj,

I take no offense to what you said; you are completely entitled to your opinion of the situation. I am fully aware of how weird the whole thing sounds. I also understand that it makes perfect sense to just ask him, and there may be plenty of people that do that immediately. I am a bit different in that I wanted to do my own research first. I saw this forum's analysis of other pieces, respected their opinions and thought that no harm could be done by gathering a few about the watch in question. Make no mistake, I'll bring it to his attention. But in order to mitigate the risk of looking ungrateful, I wanted to do a little digging first. That's all.

Brett
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 04:56 AM   #45
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Hi Mfnj,

Brett
Since it is fake, take that ball of duct tape and unscrew the case back. Let us see pics of the movement. Hurting the watch is really a moot point since its not genuine. That will be the final nail in the coffin.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 07:03 AM   #46
Sublover2166
Banned

OP, hate to bust your bubble, but if this watch were real and a gift from a relative, it would have cost around $7K new from an AD. The relative would also present you the watch in it's box, with booklets and warranty card.
Your watch is the classic scenario we see on this forum with fake watches.
No warranty card, no box, no booklets.
A sham. BTW, it usually takes a family member with a GOOD relationship to you or anyone else to present them with a 7 thousand dollar Rolex watch. My momma loves me dearly, but has not and will NEVER buy me a several thousand dollar timepiece. My two Submariners I bought myself with money I busted my arse for! Cheers bro!
Old 9 November 2016, 08:09 AM   #47
Brettbski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
OP, hate to bust your bubble
Sublover,

No bubble to be burst. How could I be mad about a gift? Now, if I would've purchased this myself and found out after I could see being a tad pissed. But in all honesty, it was a good learning experience for me and just like yourself, I hope to work my bottom off to own the real deal one day. Maybe sometime this week when I get a free minute I will pop the caseback off and post a picture to affirm everyone's analysis. Thank you and everyone else again for all of your input.

Brett
Old 9 November 2016, 08:15 AM   #48
Sublover2166
Banned

Quote:
Sublover,

No bubble to be burst. How could I be mad about a gift? Now, if I would've purchased this myself and found out after I could see being a tad pissed. But in all honesty, it was a good learning experience for me and just like yourself, I hope to work my bottom off to own the real deal one day. Maybe sometime this week when I get a free minute I will pop the caseback off and post a picture to affirm everyone's analysis. Thank you and everyone else again for all of your input.

Brett
When you buy your first, make sure to post pics here.
We will all congratulate you and you will be on top of the world!
It is truly a great feeling. Don't be a stranger. Cheers!
Old 9 November 2016, 11:20 AM   #49
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:

can do... most Asian countries have some form of filtering... Thailand is one of them.(im there every 2 weeks and experience it quite a bit)
Here in Malaysia "PRON" is banned completely so you cannot see anything at all
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2016, 11:25 AM   #50
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

The OP sent me photos of the movement, and I can confirm its FAKE.

KUDOS to those that were adamant to that
Adam
Old 11 November 2016, 12:15 AM   #51
chfoong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
• The etched “crown” is on the 6 o’clock mark where it belongs (only barely visible when the light glares off of it right)
Impressive, they can even fake the laser etched crown at 6'o clock Rolex way?
chfoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2016, 12:38 AM   #52
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfoong View Post
Impressive, they can even fake the laser etched crown at 6'o clock Rolex way?
Yes, but with authentic Rolex there's an art to the laser at 6pm. You can tell when it is faked.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2016, 12:51 AM   #53
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Brett, several things indicate the DJII might not have been authentic...just trying to suggest a means of confirming to save you $200. My other suggestion would be that you stop your uncle from fake Rolex gifting so he doesn't get into trouble.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2016, 01:58 AM   #54
Brettbski
"TRF" Member

Hey HeartRolex

I appreciate all of the help. As gladiator said, I bit the bullet and took the caseback off to confirm that it isn't authentic. And I do plan on telling my uncle about the diagnosis. My problem was, I wanted to badly to see the authenticity that I was blind to the visual imperfections. Nonetheless, you have all taught me what to look for in the future and I appreciate that. The diligence and dedication that you guys have is unmatched. It's comforting to know that resources such as this forum exist, and one day when I get my first real Rolex, this will be the first place I turn to for guidance. Thank you all again.

Brett
Old 11 November 2016, 08:42 AM   #55
usrudiver932
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Speaking of the etched crown at 6, will a 2016 SubC have the etched crown or not? Can see it on mine.
usrudiver932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2016, 09:17 AM   #56
adiorandomhero93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrudiver932 View Post
Speaking of the etched crown at 6, will a 2016 SubC have the etched crown or not? Can see it on mine.
That's usually a good thing, they are pretty hard to see imho...probably because my eyes are not the best
adiorandomhero93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2016, 02:32 PM   #57
chfoong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRolex View Post
Yes, but with authentic Rolex there's an art to the laser at 6pm. You can tell when it is faked.
Mind to explain more, more for the educational benefit of the patron of this thread and me too lol.. I know laser etched crown can be seen by naked eyes for some fakes.

shone light from 12 o'clock.
chfoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2016, 07:44 AM   #58
usrudiver932
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Thanks Chfoong see it now....never knew how to get it to show
usrudiver932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2016, 10:36 AM   #59
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrudiver932 View Post
Yes it will.
And its good you can not see it. Proves watch is most likely genuine
A
Old 12 November 2016, 05:33 PM   #60
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
It looks fishy in many ways to me.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote