The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 March 2016, 08:44 AM   #31
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
This should answer the 1015 reference it is from a 1968 UK Catalogue and look at the price!! Also my one owner 1675 has 1015/6636 on the paperwork as well and is also hand written.
Nice work, Lee! Hope that clears that up
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 08:46 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Excellent - well done! Now let's see what happens...
Yep
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 08:47 AM   #33
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
I asked the very same question on here when I purchased mine and had a similar response till I found Rolex Catalogues from 1968 and 1969 it then all became perfectly clear. It was only ever a UK reference.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 08:48 AM   #34
redfred
"TRF" Member

So are we saying mine is legit and I do not have to visit the highly respected dealer I bought it off and take my revenge!
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 08:51 AM   #35
77T

Quote:
This should answer the 1015 reference it is from a 1968 UK Catalogue and look at the price!! Also my one owner 1675 has 1015/6636 on the paperwork as well and is also hand written.

Excellent and on point contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 08:58 AM   #36
lee fowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
So are we saying mine is legit and I do not have to visit the highly respected dealer I bought it off and take my revenge!
I think that your watch is probably one of the best examples I have seen and is truely beautiful, oh and probably don't need to pop back to the dealer either!!

Old 3 March 2016, 09:02 AM   #37
redfred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that your watch is probably one of the best examples I have seen and is truely beautiful, oh and probably don't need to pop back to the dealer either!!
Cheers Lee, Like you I have seen this before so knew full well he was mistaken, it just adds to the charm of Rolex!
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:18 AM   #38
Miami Manny
Banned

Very good to know Lee, and nice find!

I would still like to see the Bexley paperwork and its reference to the serial and model of this watch.

I also stand behind my statement that I have never seen any paperwork from this era with this type of black ink serial number stamp on it. If the model/bracelet is handwritten then so should the serial.

My opinion, would love to see the other papers..
Miami Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:19 AM   #39
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Interesting thread. Learned something new today. Thanks for the information gents. Oh and @redfred, that is an exceptional example and my birth year...beautiful watch.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:27 AM   #40
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Manny View Post
Very good to know Lee, and nice find!

I would still like to see the Bexley paperwork and its reference to the serial and model of this watch.

I also stand behind my statement that I have never seen any paperwork from this era with this type of black ink serial number stamp on it. If the model/bracelet is handwritten then so should the serial.

My opinion, would love to see the other papers..
Really it really doesn't much matter what you want to see or what you even think as it is his watch. I have been collecting for many years and have owned more vintage watches than most. I can tell you one thing I have seen more strange things from Rolex over the years and many which leaves me scratching my head. I can spend a whole day writing about them but that would be both timely and something I have zero interest in doing. So before you call one's watch out be very careful that you have factual proof or knowledge to back it up. In this case you have neither IMHO.

You seem to be the new resident expert so we all will welcome your contributions to our wonderful vintage forum.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:32 AM   #41
Miami Manny
Banned

"So before you call one's watch out be very careful that you have factual proof or knowledge to back it up. In this case you have neither IMHO."

You are correct, I do not have the paperwork but the owner does and if he has any interest in clearing it up he has everything he needs to support it. Or doesnt.
Miami Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:38 AM   #42
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
"So before you call one's watch out be very careful that you have factual proof or knowledge to back it up. In this case you have neither IMHO."

You are correct, I do not have the paperwork but the owner does and if he has any interest in clearing it up he has everything he needs to support it. Or doesnt.
He doesn't need to clear anything up. Your opinion or assessment isn't a stamp of authenticity.

PS Nor is mine. It's his watch and makes no difference really what any of us think other than him. He posted pics of it as a request. He wasn't seeking your approval nor anyone's for that matter simply sharing some photos of an amazing 1675.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:41 AM   #43
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
There was a member on here who bought a GMT with Fuchsia bezel about a year ago and paid $9800 when they were selling for about $7500 complete. I thought he was a fool to overpay by so much. Now, just one year later, people are actually getting $9800 for Long E, Mark I dials on GMT's with Fuchsia bezel inserts.

This watch without the insert wouldn't be worth 7k to me. With the insert perhaps its worth 8500-9k. At 10.3 it is significantly overpriced and as others have already stated it has been refinished. I don't think they did a horrendous job but, perhaps the lugs were a bit thin to attempt such an aggressive chamfer cut.

My opinion.
Mint fuchsia inserts are bringing mint prices. Average condition inserts are in the mid-teens to $2,000 range. Take a $7500 GMT and add a nice fuchsia and it isn't hard to see why they are priced in the $9,000 and up range.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:56 AM   #44
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Dam thats a beauty
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 10:05 AM   #45
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Redfred's paperwork on the vintage GMT is interesting as it is something I am not familiar with and have not seen before.

Regarding the black stamping at the top of the warranty, which I believe is the serial number, it reminds me of the serial number stampings on the green hang tags where some of the numbers are offset and uneven. It would be impossible to call this unusual without seeing several more examples.

One thing I did notice, which is not correct, is the red hang tag, which someone obviously added since it is a 1980s hang tag.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 10:10 AM   #46
05carbondrz
Banned

It looks to me like the Stamp is a individual Number stamp,That's why it's not perfectly straight.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 05:55 PM   #47
bieb1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Beautiful watch Redfred and I am glad it got cleared up. Fascinating how this thread evolved and excellent learning!

Meanwhile....the OP has decided to pass on the watch he asked for input on....as posted on VRF.
bieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 04:16 AM   #48
lee fowler

My 68 Full Set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.jpg (115.4 KB, 149 views)

Old 5 March 2016, 07:41 PM   #49
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Great 1675 you have there Red Fred
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 12:59 AM   #50
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Looks like a ABC refinish job to me,I personally can't stand refinished Cases.
This thread went in a couple of different directions, but in response to the OPs original question .... The bevels/chamfers on those lugs were excessively re-cut, obviously, but it does not look like the work of ABC, IMHO. I've seen many, many of the cases ABC has refinished, and I've never seen any with bevels/chamfers that big and overdone.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 02:30 PM   #51
minimalista
"TRF" Member

Hello Redfred,

You have a very beautiful watch! May I ask about the bezel insert? In your photos it appears to be crimson. It it that color? Or is it how it shows on my monitor? Thank you for sharing you images and congratulations on your watch.

Jim
minimalista is offline   Reply With Quote