The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 May 2016, 09:20 AM   #1
jtchanler71
"TRF" Member

This True Story will Break Your Heart + a question

My grandfather, a USN verteran and submarine commander, gave me his watch before he died in the 1980s. It is a 1960s 5512 with Gilt 4 Line dial. The watch was completely original but was in ruff shape cosmetically and the band was not Rolex. The crystal was badly damaged and the hands had caused the worst scraping marks on the dial I have ever seen, comparing to pics posted online. The watch looked bad.

I stupidly brought it to a Rolex authorized jeweler in AZ can paid them to tune it up, replace the crystal and repair the dial. The jeweler told me they couldn't repair the dial and it needed to be replaced, and I had to trade-in the old dial. I didn't know any better so I let them do it. They replaced my Gilt 4-line dial with a new Rolex 2-Line Dial. Long story short - I lost the original 4 line dial. This happened before the internet and I was ignorant. The watch looked beautiful but it bothered me that it only had two lines, but I still didn't really know what this meant. Knowing what I know now, I think it was unconscionable for that jeweler to replace my Rolex dial with an incorrect dial. This was no "hole in the wall" place - it was a high end jewelry shop.

About 10 years later, in the 1990s, I sent the watch to Rolex in NYC for another tune-up and to replace the band with an authentic Rolex band. When I got the watch back, Rolex had replaced the 2-line dial with the appropriate 4-line dial, but obviously it wasn't gilt. I was grateful for that but I've always been depressed about losing the original Gilt dial.

The upside is that it's a beautful 50+ year old watch that looks brand new. I really couldn't wear it in the condition it was in originally.

Here's the question - do you think the original gilt dial could have been repainted? The black was scratched off the dial in a thick swath almost 1/3 the length of the hands.

In any case, it's time for another tune up and I'm tempted to send it back to NYC because from my story, you can see I have reason to trust Rolex more than jewelry stores. But I hate to send it through the mail. I live in the Boston area. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
jtchanler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 10:12 AM   #2
gmg_3
"TRF" Member

Did it look like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-SUBMAR...4AAOSwpIdW7ISG
gmg_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
In fairness to the jewelery store...in the 1980's there was less appreciation for the originality. Furthermore, most non-watch collectors who take a watch to be serviced, wish to have it made as close to new as possible....if you didn't specify not to replace the dial, they probably did the right thing.
Enjoy the watch for the meaning and don't let the loss of the dial ruin it for you.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 11:36 AM   #4
jtchanler71
"TRF" Member

GMG - on my watch, both the word Rolex and the top two lines of the "4-line" text were the same darker gilt color, and only the bottom two lines were white. On the watch in the link you posted, all 4-lines are white.

On my watch now both the Rolex name and all 4 lines are white.

Sublovin - excellent points. The jewelry store made the watch look great - I shouldn't complain and I remember it only cost me $450. The reality is, I'll never sell this watch so it probably doesn't matter how much my ignorance diminished the value.
Old 30 May 2016, 11:44 AM   #5
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
My thoughts, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
In fairness to the jewelery store...in the 1980's there was less appreciation for the originality. Furthermore, most non-watch collectors who take a watch to be serviced, wish to have it made as close to new as possible....if you didn't specify not to replace the dial, they probably did the right thing.
Enjoy the watch for the meaning and don't let the loss of the dial ruin it for you.
You'd have to have been a fortune teller to know that the original watch was going to be special, 30 years in the future. I don't think repainting the original dial would have been an improvement, either.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 12:07 PM   #6
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
BZ on your watch, BZ on your dad

For Rolex, they want to get the piece in top conditions, which for them is different from most of us.

Don't sweat it - keep it on good shape, and pass it on to the kids (are you adopting?) with the understanding it stays in the family.

My $2bills worth of advice

BTW - which boat was he CO?

Boston areas, send
Old 30 May 2016, 02:13 PM   #7
jtchanler71
"TRF" Member

Thanks Linesiders - Lt Cmdr Ralph Mills, USS Tench 417. His command was in the late 50s - early 60s which was the end of the diesel boat era.
Old 30 May 2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

The dial was already badly damaged, so I don't see any great loss here - enjoy and wear with pride.
Old 31 May 2016, 02:19 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchanler71 View Post
Thanks Linesiders - Lt Cmdr Ralph Mills, USS Tench 417. His command was in the late 50s - early 60s which was the end of the diesel boat era.
USS Tench, SS 417, the successor to the Balao class and first class submarine to do away with the complicated diesel-electric gearing that the Gato and Balao had so many problems with. Here is to you and your family's service
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 05:33 AM   #10
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
USS Tench, SS 417, the successor to the Balao class and first class submarine to do away with the complicated diesel-electric gearing that the Gato and Balao had so many problems with. Here is to you and your family's service
Old 2 June 2016, 08:05 AM   #11
bubbaK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Serpico Y Laino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
The dial was already badly damaged, so I don't see any great loss here - enjoy and wear with pride.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk