The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 February 2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Layner
"TRF" Member

General questions on Vacheron

I was in vegas last week and immediately fell in love with the Overseas chronograph (old model with the double window). The problem is I really don't know anything about them and they are pricey for a stainless.

I'm hoping one of my fellow enthusiasts can lend me some wisdom. What's their reliability like, can I expect (like a Rolex) a solid 5-10 between services? What's the cost to service/repair? Overall customer service?

Any input is greatly appreciated
Layner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:47 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
1. Buy the 49150 preowned at around 50% off retail and you will b fine. Somewhere around 12k US for an excellent example.

2. Around 5 year service Interval with VC I think. A little shorter than Rolex and expect servicing to take longer than rolex (a few months). Service cost I will take a guess at double what it costs to service a rolex...the bracelet also takes significantly more effort to refinish because of all the polish variations so that means $ and time. Great watch tho....here is the one I'm trying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170219_211840872.jpg (65.5 KB, 137 views)
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:49 PM   #3
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
The VC overseas chronograph model you are looking at has a modified FP 1185 movement, which you can read up on and get some more details. For a automatic winding chronograph movement the FP 1185 is considered quite thin. The latest overseas chronograph now contains an in-house movement.

The FP 1185 movement are also in other high end chronographs like AP royal oak chronograph (not the offshore). I do not think it's as robust as a Rolex daytona movement, but will hold its own and probably servicing every 5 years or so.

Overall the finishing on a VC overseas is top notch in terms of case, bracelet, and dial. However, VCs do not hold value very well in general so if buying new from an AD it's something that you way want to consider.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote