The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2011, 07:12 AM   #31
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Jerry,

Were you a LEO in Cleveland area? I've heard some stories about downtown Cleveland... Right up there with St Louis and Detroit. You guys had it rough, from what I know.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:12 AM   #32
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I don't live in Ohio but thank you for your level head and service
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:20 AM   #33
never2late
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Jerry,

Were you a LEO in Cleveland area? I've heard some stories about downtown Cleveland... Right up there with St Louis and Detroit. You guys had it rough, from what I know.
I was not with Cleveland P. D. but I did work in the vicinity of downtown as well as East Cleveland and other Northeast Ohio Metro areas. Without going into detail, my area of responsibility extended west from Buffalo, New York to Ft Wayne, Indiana and South from Detroit to Columbus, Ohio.
Old 12 September 2011, 07:23 AM   #34
johnny80s
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the support from most people.... And for the ones that think I'm overpaid you can pm me and I'll tell you what I think. Im glad that I had to work 2 side jobs for the last 20yrs to pay for catholic education because the school system sucks... Or to reward myself or my family with a nice vacation or some other luxury item. I'm so under paid I was glad to miss a family gathering or a kids event because I had to go in to work with all that extra money on a municipal salary. Look at the shit we have to deal with and what they pay. I chose this career and have been happy. I knew I wasn't gonna be rich, but I don't expect to be poor and for the government to keep chipping away at benefits I earned. This is even more aggravating when I keep seeing people on welfare using it as a life and not what it was intended for was help during hard times.
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 07:26 AM   #35
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2late View Post
I was not with Cleveland P. D. but I did work in the vicinity of downtown as well as East Cleveland and other Northeast Ohio Metro areas. Without going into detail, my area of responsibility extended west from Buffalo, New York to Ft Wayne, Indiana and South from Detroit to Columbus, Ohio.
Aaah... Federal.... That's cool, man

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12 September 2011, 07:28 AM   #36
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny80s View Post
Thanks for the support from most people.... And for the ones that think I'm overpaid you can pm me and I'll tell you what I think. Im glad that I had to work 2 side jobs for the last 20yrs to pay for catholic education because the school system sucks... Or to reward myself or my family with a nice vacation or some other luxury item. I'm so under paid I was glad to miss a family gathering or a kids event because I had to go in to work with all that extra money on a municipal salary. Look at the shit we have to deal with and what they pay. I chose this career and have been happy. I knew I wasn't gonna be rich, but I don't expect to be poor and for the government to keep chipping away at benefits I earned. This is even more aggravating when I keep seeing people on welfare using it as a life and not what it was intended for was help during hard times.
Wholeheartedly agree, especially with the last part. Thank YOU for your service!

Old 12 September 2011, 10:05 AM   #37
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Quote:
A) you didn't have to explain yourself
B) don't group all Ohio residents in the same bunch. I think LEO's are grossly underpaid for the types of risk they accept daily.
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree, especially with the last part. Thank YOU for your service!
Greg.....you're a real STAND-UP Guy!!

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 10:10 AM   #38
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
23 years total. All in patrol. Never wore anything other than a plastic watch. We had a ceiling or $35.00 to replace any sunglasses, eyewear or watch while damaged on duty. Jewelery was not allowed other than a wedding ring or stud earrings for the female officers.

The paperwork you had to do to get a reimbursement was nightmarish as well.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 10:23 AM   #39
Gretsch

Watch: SubC LV & 16600
Cops got a tough gig. I think Rolex and others should offer you guys a discount like Glock does. Thanks for your service...especially those who served in NYC a decade ago today.
Gretsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 10:52 AM   #40
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 & 116660
Retired from New Orleans in 2006, always wore my SD 16600. Bought it new in 1998, when I was in narcotics. It saw search warrants, foot chases, car chases, fights, you name it. It actually died on Mardi Gras day 2003, took a wack from a St Augustine marching kid swinging his trombone on the parade route at Canal and North Rampart I got stuck working Mardi Gras in uniform that year. Went down to Lee Michaels to send it back for the five year service, and was offerred $4,500 trade in for it. Considering that was more than I paid for it new, I walked out with bluesy 16613. Wore all through my Homicide years and katrina before retiring.

"The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing" - Warren Miller
Rogue884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 11:38 AM   #41
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,omega,casio
I wish to explain myself on my comments earlier. I know that political statements are not a good thing here on the TRF . Most end in fights and bitterness. I will keep this as brief on the issue at hand with out going in to much personal information. The reason my comments were brief and unexplained were due to OHIO SB 5. The fact
Is that this bill is in retaliation against public service unions is no secret. The 1.2 million registared signatures was a show of force against the current climate. I did activley help gather signatures in my county. The stigma that we are overpaid and spoiled is heightened by the ads running on radio and TV . These ads claim that we drive nice cars and Wear nice WATCHES ,all on the public dole. My intent was to see this thread quietly close. Who knows what ad could be ran against us showing us as ROLEX WEARING SLUGS. Those in LE know what a " a thin blue line " represents. Again I am sorry if it came out wrong , but discreation was the plan.
Old 12 September 2011, 09:47 PM   #42
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdalew5 View Post
I wish to explain myself on my comments earlier. I know that political statements are not a good thing here on the TRF . Most end in fights and bitterness. I will keep this as brief on the issue at hand with out going in to much personal information. The reason my comments were brief and unexplained were due to OHIO SB 5. The fact
Is that this bill is in retaliation against public service unions is no secret. The 1.2 million registared signatures was a show of force against the current climate. I did activley help gather signatures in my county. The stigma that we are overpaid and spoiled is heightened by the ads running on radio and TV . These ads claim that we drive nice cars and Wear nice WATCHES ,all on the public dole. My intent was to see this thread quietly close. Who knows what ad could be ran against us showing us as ROLEX WEARING SLUGS. Those in LE know what a " a thin blue line " represents. Again I am sorry if it came out wrong , but discreation was the plan.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 12 September 2011, 10:58 PM   #43
never2late
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Considering your posts #7, #24 and #27 in this thread, your explination comes off a bit lame but be that as it may, might I suggest you reconsider attempting to close threads posted by other op's, quitely or otherwise. Your personal agenda is not the primary intrest on TRF. Thanks.
Old 12 September 2011, 11:05 PM   #44
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Hey, I have a question:

How many of you officers of the law were wearing Rolex when your suspects happened to accidentally fall down or hit their heads on something hard?

Just curious. I'm in Chi-town, my wife is a State's Attorney, and we live the Chi-town way, so just wondering. There are X's marked to hit the spot on some "interview" rooms here, so just checking out the scene.
Be a good idea to take your comments elsewhere,

As to the OP's question, 36 years with local and federal agencies. Started with a 1675 and ended with a IIC. Along the way there was a 1680, 16760,and a 5513.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 11:56 PM   #45
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Not that I should feel any need to explain to you but for your enlightenment, my wife bought me the Explorer II as a 20th Wedding Anniversary gift after saving HER hard earned money over a long period of time. I can assure you, neither one of us were overpaid. So you and the people of Ohio can rest easier tonight. I'm sorry if you feel that LEO's shouldn't be able to afford some finer things in life, and you'll forgive me for owning my own house as well as having a lobster dinner on occasion.
well said

Jerry is a working man. some people would like you to believe that makes him a bad guy?

you put your life on the line and you appreciate tasting the finer things in life even for a moment, im sure that those finer things come with great consideration after providing for your family first.

You deserve more and everyone that is not a civil servant deserves a good standard of living as well..... somewhere along the way the politicians have decided to demonize civil service along with those making a living wage... they want to make wage & benefit cuts so they can squander the savings on programs with no checks and balances. cutting the middle income masses down and growing the divide between the rich and the poor is going to flush this country down the toilet if we don't turn around this thinking immediately.

it would be nice if the working masses got that they should be fighting for a better quality of life and not trying to take away from another working man.

the jobs of LEO and other civil servants are available to everyone, maybe your children will pursue a job as a LEO, this means they will be able to move out of the house and provide for themselves and have healthcare... (vs working for Starbucks while holding a law degree because they couldn't find work) ultimately they may just squeak by and be able to look after their parents as they get older.
Please don't support eroding the wage/benefits of these jobs down to the equivelant of working in Walmart.

Quote:
if the originaters of Ohio SB 5 only knew.........
i don't think there was so much bad intent here as there was a lack of understanding.....

big business is getting trillion dollar hand outs and LEO is having a lobster dinner while having to part with his 20 year old watch to buy another?

trillion dollar handouts vs a watch?
Old 13 September 2011, 12:53 AM   #46
never2late
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
well said

Jerry is a working man. some people would like you to believe that makes him a bad guy?

you put your life on the line and you appreciate tasting the finer things in life even for a moment, im sure that those finer things come with great consideration after providing for your family first.

You deserve more and everyone that is not a civil servant deserves a good standard of living as well..... somewhere along the way the politicians have decided to demonize civil service along with those making a living wage... they want to make wage & benefit cuts so they can squander the savings on programs with no checks and balances. cutting the middle income masses down and growing the divide between the rich and the poor is going to flush this country down the toilet if we don't turn around this thinking immediately.

it would be nice if the working masses got that they should be fighting for a better quality of life and not trying to take away from another working man.

the jobs of LEO and other civil servants are available to everyone, maybe your children will pursue a job as a LEO, this means they will be able to move out of the house and provide for themselves and have healthcare... (vs working for Starbucks while holding a law degree because they couldn't find work) ultimately they may just squeak by and be able to look after their parents as they get older.
Please don't support eroding the wage/benefits of these jobs down to the equivelant of working in Walmart.

i don't think there was so much bad intent here as there was a lack of understanding.....

big business is getting trillion dollar hand outs and LEO is having a lobster dinner while having to part with his 20 year old watch to buy another?

trillion dollar handouts vs a watch?
Subtona:
Thanks for the support but please let me clarify my comment that you quoted. First off, I don't believe there was any bad intent on the part of Wdalew5. Neither do I hold any hard feelings about what was said. However, I believe his rather extreme feelings about a personal agenda lead him to make some insensitive remarks that I felt were out of place. My reply to him while honest and sincere was also meant to be a bit facetious. For most of my career as an LEO I was fortunate enough to have earned a wage that allowed my family to live comfortably. I took exception to the inference that an LEO simply owning a Rolex watch somehow implied that he must be overpaid. To limit any individuals ability to dress as they please, own what they can afford or act as they like, as long as its within acceptable standards, based simply on the job they do is just nonsense. Example; part of my job was to yearly, evaluate the performance of the SA's on my territory to determine and then recommend what percentage of salary increase they might be eligable for. I would then submit these recommendations to my superior who would make the final judgement. On this particular occasion, the recommendation I made for a certain officers increase was turned down. The guy had done an exemplary job that past year and had never been disciplined or criticized for performance or actions. When I inquired as to why this officers increase was reduced by half, my supervisor said; the guy drives a brand new Lincoln Towncar, we're paying him too much already. Now, it just so happened that this officer who had a wife and three kids and could use the extra income, Father had recently passed away leaving him the Lincoln. Once this was explained to my boss the salary increase was authorized. But, I mean what kind of supervisor makes a decision like that? Everyone out there sporting a Rolex or driving a Lincoln Towncar is not a CEO, Lawyer, Doctor, or rich etc. There are plenty of other hard working, lower compensated "schmucks" like cops who can appreciate owning a quality watch. How they acquire them as long as its honestly, is nobodies business. And, no one has the right to judge whether or not they deserve to own one either. Off the soapbox . . .
Old 13 September 2011, 03:02 AM   #47
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Without exposing the person( you know who you are) , I will repete the private message from a friend here on TRF. It went like this:

"Hey Wd!!! good job at pissing them off over in the open chat forum. As I have told you in the past , YOU STEELERS FANS are boneheaded and moronic".......

I laughed for damn near an hour or better.....
Old 13 September 2011, 03:50 AM   #48
never2late
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Without exposing the person( you know who you are) , I will repete the private message from a friend here on TRF. It went like this:

"Hey Wd!!! good job at pissing them off over in the open chat forum. As I have told you in the past , YOU STEELERS FANS are boneheaded and moronic".......

I laughed for damn near an hour or better.....
You live in Ohio and are a Steelers fan? You certainly must be a glutton for punishment. You must live near the eastern border with PA.
Old 13 September 2011, 04:25 AM   #49
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
FAR be it from me... to withold my opinion. Let me say...

First, the bad, (and I am welcoming the LEOs comments on this, what you guys and gals think). Many (Definitely not all) of the LEOs that I have known over the years, I just... did not like. As an outsider, I find basically two reasons people become LEOs. The first, is because of a sense of community, of the desire to help people in need, etc. I salute each and ever one of you for your un-parralled service and dedication to our way of life. As far as I'm concerned I did my part with my Naval service, but what you guys do, just above and beyond and I salute you.

The second reason, (and this where the bad taste in my mouth concerning LEOs stems from) is a group of people that became LEOs because they enjoy the authority, being able to tell people what to do, some ego-maniacs. I have dealt with these, and I frankly find it extremely... distastful.

Now, the (all good). What you guys do is incredible, and there is no way I could EVER do your job for one day. It's the self control, dealing with these punks (yeah, I do watch "cops" on TV ), having some of them give you sh!*, in some occasions trying to KILL you, then you catch them, put them in handcuffs, and protect their head as you're putting them in the back of the squad car. Man... I'd be pummeling them with my night-stick in the face as soon as I had them on the ground. If I ever went on a ride-along I'd be arrested for beating the crap out of these punks

So, bottom line, you guys deserve Rolex's, whatever you choose to spend your (VERY) Hard earned money on, because even the ones I don't like (see above) I respect the hell out of you and the job you do!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2011, 06:23 AM   #50
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Subtona:
Thanks for the support but please let me clarify my comment that you quoted. First off, I don't believe there was any bad intent on the part of Wdalew5.
Jerry, good example about the lincoln.

Wdalew5:

actually appear to be on the same side.
it appears Wdalew5 was just trying to raise awareness in light of the national campaign that has been going on to besmirch civil servants. there are many who believe that a watch would mean your overpaid, we know its just a watch and it is gotten by sacrifice somewhere else. bottom line is those charged with looking out for the best interests of civil servants will clearly advise you to refrain from dangling a rolex in your neighbors face... its just easier on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
FAR be it from me... to withold my opinion. Let me say...

First, the bad, (and I am welcoming the LEOs comments on this, what you guys and gals think). Many (Definitely not all) of the LEOs that I have known over the years, I just... did not like. As an outsider, I find basically two reasons people become LEOs. The first, is because of a sense of community, of the desire to help people in need, etc. I salute each and ever one of you for your un-parralled service and dedication to our way of life. As far as I'm concerned I did my part with my Naval service, but what you guys do, just above and beyond and I salute you.

The second reason, (and this where the bad taste in my mouth concerning LEOs stems from) is a group of people that became LEOs because they enjoy the authority, being able to tell people what to do, some ego-maniacs. I have dealt with these, and I frankly find it extremely... distastful.

Now, the (all good). What you guys do is incredible, and there is no way I could EVER do your job for one day. It's the self control, dealing with these punks (yeah, I do watch "cops" on TV ), having some of them give you sh!*, in some occasions trying to KILL you, then you catch them, put them in handcuffs, and protect their head as you're putting them in the back of the squad car. Man... I'd be pummeling them with my night-stick in the face as soon as I had them on the ground. If I ever went on a ride-along I'd be arrested for beating the crap out of these punks

So, bottom line, you guys deserve Rolex's, whatever you choose to spend your (VERY) Hard earned money on, because even the ones I don't like (see above) I respect the hell out of you and the job you do!

Paul????

your navy service is much appreciated.

working in LE is difficult and not like television... some people are more capable than others when it comes to handling authority, often times it is life experience and training that can make a difference.

Still others are more capable of receiving authority, and avoiding a bad interaction

please don't judge the lot by a couple of bad experience's, the job is extremely difficult swinging from 1 call to the next, while few are up to the task of presenting themselves to everyones satisfaction while also assessing each particular situation in a split second, taking into account civilian and personal safety.

and

fyi, If an occasion arises where a chap has requested the privilege of being pummeled, it is referred to as a "Baton."

next time you get pulled over, for a pleasant experience, proceed as follows:
1)pull over as quick as safety permits
2)turn off the car
3)turn on the Dome light inside the car (if dark)
4)stay in your seat, put the keys and your hands on the dashboard.
5)Hello officer ...

the above actions shall bring a level of comfort to the situation, allowing the LEO to address you without the tension on high... everyone likely to walk away a bit happier.

this has been a PS announcement
Old 13 September 2011, 07:05 AM   #51
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrolexbuyer View Post
Gotta love N.W.A. for a reason :). Ice cube couldn't have said it better.
Since I am already in hot water, I will refrain from comment....

On second thought.......... See below
(New rolex buyer only)

I bet your criminal record is longer than your
work record.....

bye all.....Ill be booted for this one.
Old 13 September 2011, 07:18 AM   #52
never2late
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since I am already in hot water, I will refrain from comment....

On second thought.......... See below

I bet your criminal record is longer than your
work record.....

bye all.....Ill be booted for this one.
Although many on this thread disagreed with you all were generally trying to be understanding and give you the benefit of the doubt as to your intentions. This last remark I belive puts you in the light where you belong, you are simply insulting and boorish. If you're booted, you've earned it and I don't think you'll be missed.
Old 13 September 2011, 07:26 AM   #53
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Although many on this thread disagreed with you all were generally trying to be understanding and give you the benefit of the doubt as to your intentions. This last remark I belive puts you in the light where you belong, you are simply insulting and boorish. If you're booted, you've earned it and I don't think you'll be missed.
to Never To Late: The NWA and ICE cube song he is referring too is called ". F$$k THE POLICE" ....When it comes to murdering my FELLOW men and women in Blue , I DRAW THE LINE..........so if I must go ..then fine.........I knew what exactly what he meant.............
Old 13 September 2011, 09:25 AM   #54
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
I have just logged on this morning to see the post made above by newrolexbuyer who i am glad to note is also no longer with us.

Comments such as the one he made are beyond comprehension and the response made justifiable IMO.

Let's also remember where this thread started.

It is not ever going to go well if it's turned into a political debate about leo's.

Again this is a worldwide watch forum that has specific rules in place to ensure respect and consideration are given to the broad multicultural, religious and political base here. If you have other agendas keep those comments and discussions for another place.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 02:46 PM   #55
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
This thread has been reinstated - following some clearing up.

As has been pointed out above - ensure that proper respect is given here and this doesn't head down the same path again.

One member has already been banned - let's not have any more.

So....back on topic....

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 02:46 PM   #56
Lol-x
Facilitator

Any gratuitous or disparaging remarks made to or about law enforcement officers will be dealt with by way of swift action and permanent results.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 11:58 PM   #57
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Brass, thank you for restoring this thread. We all know there's a negative contingent of LEO's - every walk of life has those. But for the most part, at least ones I have crossed paths with, they're helpful, kind (unless you're a criminal, of course) and honest folks - not to mention brave. The few which are in it for the wrong reason should not reflect poorly on the vast majority. Every profession has it's scum and bottom feeders - lawd knows there are quite a few in mine.

I didn't see the cowardly remarks by 'newrolexbuyer' before, he deserves to be tarred and feathered, not just banned. What an asshole.

Old 15 September 2011, 12:05 AM   #58
mboverst
"TRF" Member

Let's leave the insults and comments where they are deserved...a lawyers thread

Seriously though, my hats off to all of you helping to protect our streets
mboverst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2011, 12:55 AM   #59
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboverst View Post
Let's leave the insults and comments where they are deserved...a lawyers thread

Old 15 September 2011, 01:12 AM   #60
fespo276
"TRF" Member

As for watches....I wear a G-shock on duty and have not yet had the guts to wear my new Sub-C yet. Its only two weeks old! Every day, I take it off in the locker room and swap with my plastic watch. I even have a little felt tray in my locker to store it during my shift. Maybe after I get a few dings "off duty" I will wear it at work. I just don't want the first blemish to come as the result of something that happens at work.

Oh, and as for nice watches where I work, in a 100 person department, I count 2 Rolex (me and a Lt with a Datejust) and 2 Breitlings.
fespo276 is offline   Reply With Quote