The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
Android vs Iphone

I own a blackberry and a 3gs iphone, both are with me for almost 2years and they have done their time, i believe its time to get a replacement for the iphone but i just dont see much differences in the new iphones other than the camera and softwares. Also, i had samsung galaxy tab 7inch and now the 10.1 tablet and i am enjoying the android on samsung more than iphones so i am thinking of buying th samsung galaxy note in white color as they say " its a phone and tablet ". What do you think about Android devices? would like to hear your opinions
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Love the Android platform. I have a Droid Bionic which has the forward facing camera and I love, love, love it.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Not much help here as I own Apple products and I really like the new iPhone and iPad 2!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I have a droid, my wife has the iPhone 4S, I'm sticking with droid at my next upgrade. iPhone screen is small, Siri is a novelty, and they are still 3G. So unless the iPhone 5 is a breakthrough device, I'll be getting whatever 4G droid phone with a big screen that's affordable.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Feras
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Love the Android platform. I have a Droid Bionic which has the forward facing camera and I love, love, love it.
I am amazed of how you guys use alot of platforms and are satisfied with, are their interface that good? if you like the bionic then you should try the samsungs droid devices such as the galaxy tab 10.1 its amazing though all droid devices can be more improved :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Not much help here as I own Apple products and I really like the new iPhone and iPad 2!!!
the iphone4s has an amazing 8mp camera. But other than that and the operating system they are all the same unfortunately, not to mention they release a new one every year and this makes your current iphone feel old

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I have a droid, my wife has the iPhone 4S, I'm sticking with droid at my next upgrade. iPhone screen is small, Siri is a novelty, and they are still 3G. So unless the iPhone 5 is a breakthrough device, I'll be getting whatever 4G droid phone with a big screen that's affordable.
iphone5 should be a revolution as rumors been said that Steve Jobs (RIP) was working on it but died before finishing it, so apple released a quick product or solution (the iphone 4s). i hope that the galaxy note has actual 4G as its mentioned in their website. I think the Note is perfect in size (5inches screen) and in function
Old 9 January 2012, 03:28 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
fyi: if you don't know (there was another thread here recently, along with some current event news reports) you should read up on "carrier IQ" a software that is running in all android and most iphones.
android being google based seems like the worse of the two by a slim margin from a privacy point of view, but both leave me feeling very violated.
Old 9 January 2012, 04:17 AM   #7
Feras
Banned

Interesting read
Old 9 January 2012, 04:25 AM   #8
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Little I have used Android, but it didn't impress me like iOS.

Definitely iPhone.
Old 9 January 2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Feras
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Little I have used Android, but it didn't impress me like iOS.

Definitely iPhone.
If iphone5 wont be very different for the 4s then i think apple has run out of innovations
Old 9 January 2012, 04:45 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by feras View Post
If iphone5 wont be very different for the 4s then i think apple has run out of innovations
i think the innovations that are to come are largely geared to selling the user more apps, products and services by monitoring every facet of the users daily routine.... i Believe the time of apples creating user friendly and functional software, to better its competition with the users satisfaction as the motivation has passed, sadly it is all about how they can get a dollar out of you while you walk down the street or are taking a coffee break.

i bought a pair of shoes online recently, virtually every web page i go to (with the exception of right here ) has a banner with an advertisement for shoes on it
Old 9 January 2012, 06:27 AM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by feras View Post
I own a blackberry and a 3gs iphone, both are with me for almost 2years and they have done their time, i believe its time to get a replacement for the iphone but i just dont see much differences in the new iphones other than the camera and softwares. Also, i had samsung galaxy tab 7inch and now the 10.1 tablet and i am enjoying the android on samsung more than iphones so i am thinking of buying th samsung galaxy note in white color as they say " its a phone and tablet ". What do you think about Android devices? would like to hear your opinions
The iPhone 4 did bring a new feature besides faster processor and memory upgrade - FaceTime. It's great for family/friends video calls. iOS 5 brought iMessage so you avoid SMS Carrier charges. So you did miss some new capabilities.

True, the 4s is not as different.

On the tablets, until they fix the Android App marketplace security issues I have to stick with the iPad. I do agree many people will not need an iPhone and a high function tablet. I expect discount carriers may erode smartphone market share once people see their cell bills are running so high with data plans.

Cheap talk is what people want + free wifi for their tablets.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 06:45 AM   #12
btrue

Watch: GMT IIC; PAM 005
I would choose the iPhone.
btrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 07:02 AM   #13
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Get an iphone. Sorry to all the droid users, but droid has nothing on IOS5. If you need a phone now, get the 4S if not, wait for the 5. The 5 is expected to have 4G.

Current 3G speeds are great (better than some DSL internet) Also, less that 5% of this country has 4G so it was a smart move by Apple to hold off from launching it.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 08:54 AM   #14
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I've been a very happy owner and user of a Droid Incredible for a little over a year. I ordered a 4s today
Old 9 January 2012, 09:08 AM   #15
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I've been a very happy owner and user of a Droid Incredible for a little over a year. I ordered a 4s today
If I were buying today that's what I would get, I've had the droid X2 for a little over a year and love it! But I think by the time I'm up for a new phone the Razor will come down?
Old 9 January 2012, 09:15 AM   #16
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omga,CyS,brtln
I liked my Droid more as a "computer" and my iphone more as a "phone"
Old 9 January 2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
I'm not that technically inclined so I have to ask: What's the difference between 3G and 4G?
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 09:41 AM   #18
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
If I were buying today that's what I would get, I've had the droid X2 for a little over a year and love it! But I think by the time I'm up for a new phone the Razor will come down?
For me the Razor is too big. I always keep the phone in my pocket. If I went with another Droid it would've been the HTC Rezound. Not due to the beats Audio either.

I was waiting on the Galaxy Nexus but it's just too big IMO. It's like carrying a TV in your pocket
Old 9 January 2012, 09:47 AM   #19
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
For me the Razor is too big. I always keep the phone in my pocket. If I went with another Droid it would've been the HTC Rezound. Not due to the beats Audio either.

I was waiting on the Galaxy Nexus but it's just too big IMO. It's like carrying a TV in your pocket
Agreed, I've been looking at pants with bigger pockets LOL
Old 9 January 2012, 09:50 AM   #20
manuu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex CHNR
The Android user interface is kinda clunky and my one experience with an android phone was quite horrible. The OS used to freeze atleast 2-3 times a day. That did it for me.
The iphone 4S has been just fantastic. The CPU and gfx processor upgrades make the phone amazingly fast. Also tests have shown that download speeds on the 4S almost match 4G download speeds without the excessive battery drain that comes with using 4G chips.

And to top it off .. all Android phones I've seen ( samsung, motorola, HTC ) just look cheap.
manuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 10:00 AM   #21
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArn View Post
I'm not that technically inclined so I have to ask: What's the difference between 3G and 4G?
The way it was explained to me is 4G is a faster network. It's supposed to make a 4G phone work faster.

From my experience the 4s works just as fast as any phone I've played with. 4G also drains your battery more
Old 9 January 2012, 09:04 PM   #22
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
dont have an Android phone to compare with.

however, i have both the Android and Apple tablets. my personal experience is that Apple iOS is much smoother to operate and i much prefer it. in saying that, i do quite enjoy the Android tablet too.... maybe because im a techy geek
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 09:38 PM   #23
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArn View Post
For users, speed and coverage are the big differences. Not everywhere has 4G coverage yet. A good chunk of the country is 3G. If it is available where you live and primarily use your phone, might be worth looking into.
Old 9 January 2012, 10:53 PM   #24
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Cannot help you. For me it is BlackBerry (Bold Touch 9900 and PlayBook) or nothing. I do have an iPad, but the PlayBook with its amazing UI is blowing it out of the water.
Old 9 January 2012, 11:08 PM   #25
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Cannot help you. For me it is BlackBerry (Bold Touch 9900 and PlayBook) or nothing. I do have an iPad, but the PlayBook with its amazing UI is blowing it out of the water.
heard RIM may "go under" and there is a big slash of its Playbook (attepmt to "write it off"?!? ) due to lack of native email client and a limited selection of app.
i think one of its big selling point was its ability to run flash very well... but Adobe have since announce its exit on the mobile devices..
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 11:16 PM   #26
Lol-x
Facilitator

I've got a Samsung Note. It is a big phone but I like it. Maybe when the iPhone gets a larger screen and a thinner profile I'll look at it again.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 03:01 AM   #27
Feras
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I've got a Samsung Note. It is a big phone but I like it. Maybe when the iPhone gets a larger screen and a thinner profile I'll look at it again.
owner of note, cool. can you tell us aboutit? and how do you compare it to iphone. is the touch smooth or doess it get frozen or slow?
Old 10 January 2012, 03:29 AM   #28
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I liked the iPhone 3Gs straight from the get go. It had no instruction book, yet I could use all it's functions straight away.

After my experience with a iPhone 3GS I bought a Mac Book Pro and an iPad and upgraded to an iPhone 4, I now have a iPhone 4S and couldn't be happier. Others MMV.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 07:56 AM   #29
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
I carry both an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy. iPhone is by far the more intuitive and smoother interface. Android offers more bells & whistles for the wonkier types who want to "root" their phones, compared to the iPhone "jailbreakers". But for the 90% of the population that uses their phone for communication (talk & text), email, websurfing and little else, the iPhone is the way to go IMO.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 08:12 AM   #30
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
OK Everyone on here has probably figured out the epitome of the Apple ANTI-Fanboy....
So.....Galaxy S II here....fast, tons of apps, screen's WAY bigger and looks the same if not better than an iPhone's.

Now don't get me wrong, even though I hate the parent company, the iPhone is a nice piece of technology...but IMO the Android Platform is better.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote