The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2012, 01:24 AM   #31
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Pick your headline:

"46% of Smartphone Buyers Do Not Intend to Buy iPhone"

or

"iPhone Intenders drop 9%, Blackberry Intenders Only 1%"

or

"Twenty-five Percent of iPhone Owners Not 'Very Satisfied', Survey Says"

Once you pick your headline, here are the stats and charts to support them.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 02:30 AM   #32
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Im a cell phone geek, typically getting a new one every 6-8 months. Both platforms have their positives and negatives, it really depends on what kind of user you are.

The iPhone was innovative when it first came out. Very easy to use, apps out the wazoo and beautiful design. However, 4 years later its a bit long in the tooth. It does though work very well.

Android has taken off in the past 4 years because of continual upgrades of the platform. Yes, there is complete saturation of the market because so many manufactures use Android as their OS. But that means competition to make phones better between them. Apple only competes with themselves and I feel like they are resting on their laurels of knowing they have a fanbase that will buy whatever they make.

When people ask me what they should get I examine how tech saavy they are and what they actually do with the phone. Honestly, most of the time I recommend the iPhone even though Im a die-hard Android user. The reason being, like someone said, it works with intuition and without much necessary manual reading.

I however could never go with an iPhone because it would be like going backwards in technology for me. I like that I can make my phone completely mine even without rooting it by adding a new home screen application(Launcher Pro FTW!).

I love my widgets! I hate a cluttered screen and thats what the iPhone is. Its a bunch of apps all over the place. When I want to see my apps on my Android I open the app drawer where they are neatly stored. The widgets I have are constantly updating and give me information at a glance without having to open them up(in the case of an app).

There are just as many apps in the Android marketplace and FWIW, most of them are free compared to the same app in the iTunes store which charge a minimal fee. Also, I get a free app a day on the Amazon app store which is only Android. Another fail for iDevices.

Lastly, I have been right next to several friends on the same network who still get crappier reception on their iPhones than I do on my Android. Even if you just boil it down to a phone, you still need the ability to make call and I dont trust the iPhone antenna still.

I will honestly give the iPhone 5 a good look, but unless the screen is a minimum 4" like I have now and gives in to a new upgraded interface, it will be hard to keep up with the momentum of Android.
HyperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 03:45 AM   #33
psv
"TRF" Member

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/nokia-900-is-real/
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 03:48 AM   #34
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Im a cell phone geek, typically getting a new one every 6-8 months. Both platforms have their positives and negatives, it really depends on what kind of user you are.

The iPhone was innovative when it first came out. Very easy to use, apps out the wazoo and beautiful design. However, 4 years later its a bit long in the tooth. It does though work very well.

Android has taken off in the past 4 years because of continual upgrades of the platform. Yes, there is complete saturation of the market because so many manufactures use Android as their OS. But that means competition to make phones better between them. Apple only competes with themselves and I feel like they are resting on their laurels of knowing they have a fanbase that will buy whatever they make.

When people ask me what they should get I examine how tech saavy they are and what they actually do with the phone. Honestly, most of the time I recommend the iPhone even though Im a die-hard Android user. The reason being, like someone said, it works with intuition and without much necessary manual reading.

I however could never go with an iPhone because it would be like going backwards in technology for me. I like that I can make my phone completely mine even without rooting it by adding a new home screen application(Launcher Pro FTW!).

I love my widgets! I hate a cluttered screen and thats what the iPhone is. Its a bunch of apps all over the place. When I want to see my apps on my Android I open the app drawer where they are neatly stored. The widgets I have are constantly updating and give me information at a glance without having to open them up(in the case of an app).

There are just as many apps in the Android marketplace and FWIW, most of them are free compared to the same app in the iTunes store which charge a minimal fee. Also, I get a free app a day on the Amazon app store which is only Android. Another fail for iDevices.

Lastly, I have been right next to several friends on the same network who still get crappier reception on their iPhones than I do on my Android. Even if you just boil it down to a phone, you still need the ability to make call and I dont trust the iPhone antenna still.

I will honestly give the iPhone 5 a good look, but unless the screen is a minimum 4" like I have now and gives in to a new upgraded interface, it will be hard to keep up with the momentum of Android.
I'm with you.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 03:48 AM   #35
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

I will say this phone has probably some of the best hardware out in a very long time. Its built fantastically with a gorgeous screen. Unfortunately, the OS is not loved by many. It will take a while for it to actually get the attention of the consumer.

I have played with a few WP7 phones and they are very snappy and become intuitive after a while. Unfortunately they dont offer true multitasking yet.

That being said, a friend of mine writes for Phonearena and he has said the WP7 OS is his favorite and just needs a bit of polish to become a mainstream competitor.
Old 11 January 2012, 04:02 AM   #36
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
I will say this phone has probably some of the best hardware out in a very long time. Its built fantastically with a gorgeous screen. Unfortunately, the OS is not loved by many. It will take a while for it to actually get the attention of the consumer.

I have played with a few WP7 phones and they are very snappy and become intuitive after a while. Unfortunately they dont offer true multitasking yet.

That being said, a friend of mine writes for Phonearena and he has said the WP7 OS is his favorite and just needs a bit of polish to become a mainstream competitor.
Being AT&T exclusive... not a good way to start becoming "mainstream" JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 04:49 AM   #37
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Being AT&T exclusive... not a good way to start becoming "mainstream" JMHO
While I agree that would be a negative, the iPhone was an exclusive for 3 years. I would say thats pretty mainstream now. Also, there is rumor that VZW will get the WP7 phones at some point.
Old 11 January 2012, 05:23 AM   #38
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
While I agree that would be a negative, the iPhone was an exclusive for 3 years. I would say thats pretty mainstream now. Also, there is rumor that VZW will get the WP7 phones at some point.
Yeah, major carnage involved in the Apple exclusive deal with AT&T and the Nokia is no iPhone as far as cache. Again JMHO

I completely agree with your earlier assessment of the Apple/Android market, good points all of them!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 05:37 AM   #39
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Good post. I am an iPhone fan but I do agree with a lot of your points.
Old 11 January 2012, 08:42 AM   #40
mtnbiker5

Phone

I had the new iPhone 4s for a week and returned it. The battery life was pathetic. I was out of juice by noon. Being in sales it wasnt cutting it. I looked at other Android phones but every "top of the line" A phone I was told had battery life issues as well. As soon as you get into the whole 4G network thing it sucks the life outta your phone. Yes, I did the "software update" on my iphone but it did squat. Its a toy. I went back to the new BB Bold with Verizon. Love the thing. Doesnt have all the bells and whistles like a Droid or iPhone but for me it closes deals and its reliable as all heck. I am going to explore the new iPhone 5 when it comes out in spring/summer. Re address the whole tech thing again. I guess it just boils down to how much you use your phone and what are you using your phone for. I'm with Verizon and living in NJ AT&T is a complete joke when making calls. Drop drop drop. Its funny, many of my friends who work at large corporations in sales all have BB on AT&T and hate it. Their calls constantly drop. They all have a 2nd cell phone with Verizon for personal use. Consumer Reports named AT&T recently Nationwide as the worst carrier for calling. I just dont have time for the riff raff.
mtnbiker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 08:50 AM   #41
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:

Android has taken off in the past 4 years because of continual upgrades of the platform.

Yessir. The iPhone is certainly attractive but I just couldn't see going with the fairly small screen, and its very insistent UI bugs me. I'm on my first-ever smartphone and happy with the Droid Inc 2 (HTC).
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 08:55 AM   #42
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

^^ In response:

I have had AT&T since 2000 and have NEVER dropped a call once(and I too live in NJ). I tried switching to VZW back in 2008 when the first Droid came out and I discovered my house right in suburban Lawrenceville was a dead zone. Didnt even get one bar of service. Cancelled and went right back to AT&T.

In my previous job I was a corporate trainer for a big company. My territory was Maine to S. Carolina over to Detroit. In all my travels, I didnt lose a single call.

Of course in all this YMMV. However, the days of AT&T dropping calls are really overexaggerated. Ask anyone who dropped calls what phone they were using and they will 99% of the time say an iPhone. You never hear of dropped calls with a BB or droids. That being said, the fascade still persists.

Also, in regards to the consumer reports calling AT&T the worst carrier, it was for customer service NOT call quality. For call quality AT&T actually ranked higher than VZW!

I do not and never have worked for AT&T as a disclaimer. Too many people who HAVEN'T actually experienced their exceptional service bad mouth them and thats where giving an opinion isnt really worth anything.
Old 11 January 2012, 09:01 AM   #43
psv
"TRF" Member

Oh there is so much I want to say here, but legally cannot without identify myself and my employer...
Old 11 January 2012, 09:13 AM   #44
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Oh there is so much I want to say here, but legally cannot without identify myself and my employer...
Tease...
Old 11 January 2012, 09:23 AM   #45
psv
"TRF" Member

So many opinions, so little facts... :-)
Old 11 January 2012, 09:31 AM   #46
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So many opinions, so little facts... :-)
I concur with you on some points. However, all my opinions are based on actual experience...which in turn they become facts.
Old 11 January 2012, 09:46 AM   #47
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
^^ In response:

I have had AT&T since 2000 and have NEVER dropped a call once(and I too live in NJ). I tried switching to VZW back in 2008 when the first Droid came out and I discovered my house right in suburban Lawrenceville was a dead zone. Didnt even get one bar of service. Cancelled and went right back to AT&T.

In my previous job I was a corporate trainer for a big company. My territory was Maine to S. Carolina over to Detroit. In all my travels, I didnt lose a single call.

Of course in all this YMMV. However, the days of AT&T dropping calls are really overexaggerated. Ask anyone who dropped calls what phone they were using and they will 99% of the time say an iPhone. You never hear of dropped calls with a BB or droids. That being said, the fascade still persists.

Also, in regards to the consumer reports calling AT&T the worst carrier, it was for customer service NOT call quality. For call quality AT&T actually ranked higher than VZW!

I do not and never have worked for AT&T as a disclaimer. Too many people who HAVEN'T actually experienced their exceptional service bad mouth them and thats where giving an opinion isnt really worth anything.
+1. All great points. AT&T is the "lesser of evils" in my area and reasonably reliable. If only they'd turn my local tower back on ...
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 11:43 AM   #48
psv
"TRF" Member

Highly talked about story of the day http://parislemon.com/post/156048116...i-hate-android
Old 11 January 2012, 01:04 PM   #49
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker5 View Post
I had the new iPhone 4s for a week and returned it. The battery life was pathetic. I was out of juice by noon. Being in sales it wasnt cutting it. I looked at other Android phones but every "top of the line" A phone I was told had battery life issues as well. As soon as you get into the whole 4G network thing it sucks the life outta your phone. Yes, I did the "software update" on my iphone but it did squat. Its a toy. I went back to the new BB Bold with Verizon. Love the thing. Doesnt have all the bells and whistles like a Droid or iPhone but for me it closes deals and its reliable as all heck. I am going to explore the new iPhone 5 when it comes out in spring/summer. Re address the whole tech thing again. I guess it just boils down to how much you use your phone and what are you using your phone for. I'm with Verizon and living in NJ AT&T is a complete joke when making calls. Drop drop drop. Its funny, many of my friends who work at large corporations in sales all have BB on AT&T and hate it. Their calls constantly drop. They all have a 2nd cell phone with Verizon for personal use. Consumer Reports named AT&T recently Nationwide as the worst carrier for calling. I just dont have time for the riff raff.
An iPhone is not a BB replacement nor is any droid phone no matter what apps are available. They are two different markets even though all of them try to capture each other's customers. IMO the iphone does a better job at being a business tool than BB does at trying to make it into a do-all smart phone. I have a VZW BB and an AT&T iPhone and i am also in sales. The iPhone does everything my BB does but not vice versa. I carry both when im working but as soon as the work day is done, the BB goes in the drawer.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 02:16 PM   #50
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Quote:
Highly talked about story of the day http://parislemon.com/post/156048116...i-hate-android
Very interesting ...
Old 11 January 2012, 02:24 PM   #51
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Love the applications on the Android phones. I have to carry 2 phones (one for work, which is a Blackberry), but my personal phone is an Android. I have converted my wife also!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 03:15 PM   #52
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
iphone gets my vole.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 12:53 AM   #53
conrail
"TRF" Member

I've played with all the latest ones and iPhone gets my vote b/c the interactivity and responsiveness of your finger to the touch screen CANNOT be beat by Android or any other device. I notice it like night and day. It is so much crisper and snappier; whereas I find all other devices are "sluggish" in that regard (not processing power, but your interactivity w/ the screen).

If you don't notice it, then it's not a big deal and otherwise comes down to what software you enjoy better.
Old 12 January 2012, 12:30 PM   #54
603DJ

There is no right or wrong, simply preference.
Simply put the iPhone gets my vote.
Droid has some cool things like gadgets that get you to an application with just one button, other than that....I like everything about the iPhone better.
I have an iPhone 4, my wife has a 4s.
In my opinion, the iPhone is a better PHONE... Clearer sound, better speaker, and people never say I sound garbled or distant as with many cell phones.
I also like how the iPhone downloads your voicemail, so you don't have to dial *68 and enter your password to get the voicemail.
Also, if you have more than one apple product, the iCloud allows EASY synching. For instance, if I take a picture it's already uploaded to my apple computer and iPad ( settings can be modified if you do,it want them to work that way)
iMessage is another huge feature, you can send texts to other iphones and ipads via wifi if you happen to be in a poor cell territory. Also, when you send them to other iPhone/iPad users you see if the text got delivered.
FaceTime is also the bomb! Check it out on apple.com or google it. It is outstanding.
Also, I caution you about getting a droid with a huge screen unless you really need it.....the screen will eat more battery life than most everything else.
Last, Siri is simply amazing, if you set it up with a geo fence, you can get reminders that alert you when you hit or cross an area or landmark by gps.
I rarely hear iPhone users going to droids and loving it, but usually quite the opposite.
No disrespect to droid fans, again...it's all opinion. That being said, I LOVE my iPhone! It's a great phone, great iPod, works well for mobile mail and web, and did I mention a great phone! iPhone's also,take amazing photos in a variety of conditions.
I hope this helps.
603DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 12:40 PM   #55
603DJ

Oh, the iPhone 4 allows me to work a 12.5 hour day with 45 minute one way commute and I never kill my battery! I surf the web often, make calls and text quite frequently. I do turn off gps and blue tooth whenat work but keep wifi open. I keep a pretty bright auto screen brightness, although I "lock" my screen when it is to in use ( this will dramatically save you battery on any smart phone) and the apple touch screen on the iPhone, iPad , iPod touch, etc is VERY responsive! Very accurate, and so easy to use. I thought I would miss an actual keyboard but now I used to the touch screen. Apple built a lot of screen hot keys and short cuts as well. Plus it's fun to see what auto correct does with some of your messy text messages! Always good for a laugh =)
603DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2012, 01:11 AM   #56
conrail
"TRF" Member

Nice avatar 603DJ!