The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 September 2017, 10:48 AM   #1
JackPKA1
"TRF" Member

Advice after being scammed

I was just scammed out of several thousand dollars and Im so sick about it. This person sent someone's else feedback/reviews and used that person's email account. Obviously it was my fault too and as this being my first watch deal, I was stupidly naive. Im kicking myself now.

I sent a domestic wire and now after reported the scam to my bank, Im waiting to hear from them to see if a recall can be done. Im assuming nothing can be done about getting the money back but wanted to see what if any options I have. Since I have the name which the wire was sent, can I file a lawsuit? tried to file a police report but they stated I needed an affidavit. I also filed a complaint with the IC3.

Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for any help and I am going to speak to a lawyer.
JackPKA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Where did the sale take place? Ebay? Here? Another site?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPKA1 View Post
I was just scammed out of several thousand dollars and Im so sick about it. This person sent someone's else feedback/reviews and used that person's email account. Obviously it was my fault too and as this being my first watch deal, I was stupidly naive. Im kicking myself now.

I sent a domestic wire and now after reported the scam to my bank, Im waiting to hear from them to see if a recall can be done. Im assuming nothing can be done about getting the money back but wanted to see what if any options I have. Since I have the name which the wire was sent, can I file a lawsuit? tried to file a police report but they stated I needed an affidavit. I also filed a complaint with the IC3.

Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for any help and I am going to speak to a lawyer.
Sorry to hear about this OP. Can you provide more details?
Old 5 September 2017, 02:26 PM   #4
occb2
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
You can absolutely file a police report. I am now retired but I did 20 years in the NYPD and I have zero clue what they mean by filing an affidavit. The affidavit it filed at time of arrest. You are filing a complaint. With all the information that you have on the scammer. Name, bank info. It is the job of the local police department to investigate it. They might not want to take the report because it is a felony a top degree, depending on your location and they get judged on the crime statistics but you are a victim and they have to take the report.

So go into your local police department and bring all the information you have on the perp and give them all of it. Explain exactly what happen do not add or subtract details to make yourself look better. Lots of people don't want to look stupid and lie and that will be the fastest way for them to close the case. They can subpoena all the information on the perps email, phone if you have it, bank account you transferred too. If you have the email they can find out the IP address he had been using to log into the email. There are a lot of leads that they can investigate. Heck if you have his cell number they can GPS the new phones to 10 feet. If he changes SIM cards they can do a subpoena on the IMEI number. Perps are too cheap to throw their phones out. They just put new pre-paid SIM cards in unlocked phones. Do not give up! Period. I hope you get the guy!
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 02:38 PM   #5
patrolmi
"TRF" Member

Domestic wires and fraud

There are circumstances where a bank can reverse a wire, especially if the funds are still at the receiving bank. More info would be helpful- and help others not to make the same mistake.

I actually was able to get paypal to cancel a transfer after the fact after I figured out the fraud- but I think it's a lot easier for them.
patrolmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 10:57 PM   #6
JackPKA1
"TRF" Member

we corresponded via email for the sale. he/she reached out to me after a WTB post and was very responsive via email.
JackPKA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 12:37 AM   #7
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
we corresponded via email for the sale. he/she reached out to me after a WTB post and was very responsive via email.
A want to buy post on this forum?

Really sorry to hear that.

I never understood the point of a "want to buy" thread. Just seems like an easy way for scammers to target people.

This isn't aimed directly at you OP, but why don't people just reach out directly to sellers with their requests instead of posting exactly what they are looking for on an open forum?

Maybe I'm just not understanding it, but openly expressing that you want to buy something just doesn't seem like a good idea when there are many sellers that can source pretty much anything you want.

Really hope something works out in this case.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 04:54 AM   #8
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
A want to buy post on this forum?

Really sorry to hear that.

I never understood the point of a "want to buy" thread. Just seems like an easy way for scammers to target people.

This isn't aimed directly at you OP, but why don't people just reach out directly to sellers with their requests instead of posting exactly what they are looking for on an open forum?

Maybe I'm just not understanding it, but openly expressing that you want to buy something just doesn't seem like a good idea when there are many sellers that can source pretty much anything you want.

Really hope something works out in this case.
WTB works fine if you go with a known/trusted seller and do some due diligence beforehand... I have made several deals on the WTB post with buyers, inlcuding 1 last week.
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:36 AM   #9
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:

Sorry to hear it.
My advice is do EVERYthing suggested here + any other advise
AND
NEVER give up - keep on pestering people every day till you get a result.
Sending an eMail rarely gathers anyone attention, getting 2 or 3 a day, start to focus their mind!

If its the "early bird that catches the worm" - then its the "persistent hounder that gets results"

Best I can suggest
Buena Suerte
Old 6 September 2017, 09:42 AM   #10
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

post his wire information, maybe someone can dig out some info
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
For all reading this. WTB! RUN!! Thieves are lurking there. Please do not post a want to buy. You will be inundated with people who have exactly what you are looking for at just the right price.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 05:42 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolmi View Post
There are circumstances where a bank can reverse a wire, especially if the funds are still at the receiving bank. More info would be helpful- and help others not to make the same mistake.

I actually was able to get paypal to cancel a transfer after the fact after I figured out the fraud- but I think it's a lot easier for them.
PayPal is easy to put on hold and get your money back even long after the transaction. Seems like there is no closure on PP which stinks from the seller's standpoint. Money wired is money gone. No way to reverse. That is the intent of wire transfers.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:26 AM   #13
Lew_greene
"TRF" Member

Where did you buy from?
Lew_greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 10:46 AM   #14
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

Posting a WTB on the open forum reaches private collectors as well as professional resellers. A private seller who sells or trades a watch can offer a lower price than a professional reseller, and in turn would receive a better price than if sold to a reseller. In theory at least, it's a win-win.

Obviously there will always be significant greater risk buying or selling privately than to a professional. The only no risk sale is through an AD.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 03:31 PM   #15
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
WTB works fine if you go with a known/trusted seller and do some due diligence beforehand... I have made several deals on the WTB post with buyers, inlcuding 1 last week.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:19 AM   #16
Jenkinscc
"TRF" Member

Where did this exchange take place?
Jenkinscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 05:54 AM   #17
Honza
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega MK40, Rolex
Sorry for your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:09 PM   #18
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
PayPal is easy to put on hold and get your money back even long after the transaction. Seems like there is no closure on PP which stinks from the seller's standpoint. Money wired is money gone. No way to reverse. That is the intent of wire transfers.
PayPal has time limits. I believe 180 days to investigate.
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:10 PM   #19
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
OP, was it on this forum?
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 12:37 AM   #20
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007timer View Post
PayPal has time limits. I believe 180 days to investigate.
Interseting though I assumed they can also only do a reverse transaction whilst the offender is still registered with them? Hope I am wrong though!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote