The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 January 2022, 10:55 PM   #1
A_Torres
"TRF" Member

Question about an Ellipse 3748 White Gold

Dear Forum members,

Happy New Year to all!

I have been some time looking to acquire my first Patek vintage model, and the one which really makes me smile every time I see one is the vintage golden ellipse.

I have been looking for references 3748 and 3848 as I love the size of it and it really has that vintage look that I want.

One of the pieces I recently saw is the following one:
https://en.artisandutemps.com/produc...mel-3748-9-500

However most of the pieces I have seen on the market are yellow gold instead of white gold and also with a "sunburst" dial rather than this plain lacquered one.

I personally find it attractive but I wanted to ask the members who are more experienced on these vintage ellipses, they opinion on this particular declination and as well if the price range seems reasonable. I have seen a few 3848 pieces in yellow gold with the sunburst dial more on the range of 7-7.5K (EUR) so I am not sure if this particular model is more expensive due to white gold and lacquered dial be more rare.

Thanks in advance for your time and greetings from Luxembourg
A_Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:14 PM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Are you sure the dial is original?

It is Swiss only but should probably have been a sigma dial in 1976. The Patek font looks surprisingly modern as well. Lastly, the markers seem to have been "or jaune" according to the extract but don't look like yellow gold now.

I would definitely have to get comfortable with the above...

The extract also seems to indicate something about the movement that I'd try to understand ("remontage"...).
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:32 PM   #3
A_Torres
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I asked about the dial as I was expecting a sigma dial too, however the dealer confirmed to me that sigma dials (in gold) were generally used for sunray finishes to bring out the gold below the paint and give them that shiny look. As this is a plain and lacquered blue, it doesnt have the sigma stamp.

And I do agree with the markers in yellow gold, I have asked that question too but I am still waiting for a response.

About the movement, I believe the extract refers to "remontage manuel" which in this case is due to be a manual winding movement.

Cheers!
Old 5 January 2022, 01:12 AM   #4
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Just to let you know your not alone on your love of the ellipse, here is one of mine 3747 in quartz, it’s a perfect grab and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 January 2022, 02:38 AM   #5
A_Torres
"TRF" Member

That's a stunner my friend! :)
Old 5 January 2022, 04:59 AM   #6
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
I too was expecting a sigma dial, the dealer answer doesn't sound very convincing
but i would be interested to read whats on the extract regarding the dial
Old 5 January 2022, 08:37 PM   #7
A_Torres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
I too was expecting a sigma dial, the dealer answer doesn't sound very convincing
but i would be interested to read whats on the extract regarding the dial
I got a copy of the Extract from the Archives and I can see that it refers to the case being in white gold and a blue cobalt dial with 13 yellow gold indexes (incorrect statement in fact).

The dealer told me that it is unfortunately a Patek encoding error as the watch being in white gold, all the indexes are in white gold too.

What do you guys think?

If I go for this piece I guess at some point I will need to ask for another Extract from the Archives with the correct information on it.
Old 5 January 2022, 11:51 PM   #8
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon6

Love mine, Michael in San Antonio
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F075DC67-5DDB-4018-B4CD-78DCD2CE105E.jpeg (71.1 KB, 126 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 05:53 AM   #9
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Torres View Post
I got a copy of the Extract from the Archives and I can see that it refers to the case being in white gold and a blue cobalt dial with 13 yellow gold indexes (incorrect statement in fact).

The dealer told me that it is unfortunately a Patek encoding error as the watch being in white gold, all the indexes are in white gold too.

What do you guys think?

If I go for this piece I guess at some point I will need to ask for another Extract from the Archives with the correct information on it.
if i were you, i would look for another one that is just perfect....i wouldn't have a peace of mind knowing that i either have a swapped dial or a wrong coding by PP on their extract form the archives.
convincing them would be a difficult process (trying to avoid using the word impossible here )
Old 6 January 2022, 07:19 AM   #10
EUguy
"TRF" Member

I love mine to bits and wear it a lot (pics on another thread). I have a 3738 in yellow gold with blue sunburst dial as my first Patek Philippe and it brings me joy every time I look at it. I also get many compliments on it, also from people that have nothing with watches. That is a thing I did not expect when I bought it. I immediately ordered a new dark blue original Patek strap for it and put that on it instead of the new black strap that came with it. Makes it very usable with smart casual clothes. You won’t regret it if you love the Ellipse model.

I would pass on the one that you saw. They are not very popular and hence affordable (for a Patek Philippe that is). For the price you mentioned you must be able to land an original one with no questions on originality.

Happy hunting!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 05:58 PM   #11
A_Torres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
I love mine to bits and wear it a lot (pics on another thread). I have a 3738 in yellow gold with blue sunburst dial as my first Patek Philippe and it brings me joy every time I look at it. I also get many compliments on it, also from people that have nothing with watches. That is a thing I did not expect when I bought it. I immediately ordered a new dark blue original Patek strap for it and put that on it instead of the new black strap that came with it. Makes it very usable with smart casual clothes. You won’t regret it if you love the Ellipse model.

I would pass on the one that you saw. They are not very popular and hence affordable (for a Patek Philippe that is). For the price you mentioned you must be able to land an original one with no questions on originality.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for your feedback mate, I think I will put this one on hold and continue my hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
if i were you, i would look for another one that is just perfect....i wouldn't have a peace of mind knowing that i either have a swapped dial or a wrong coding by PP on their extract form the archives.
convincing them would be a difficult process (trying to avoid using the word impossible here )

Cheers mate, I have done some research on the dial and looks legit. But as you said, the issue with the Extract from the Archives kind of push me out a bit from pulling the trigger on this one.

Thanks!