The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2019, 05:09 AM   #1
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

ADT issues

Anyone have issues with ADT and the Pulse system as far as camera reliability?

Basically i installed the system 3 months ago and non stop issues since. Basically the pulse cameras communicate through a wifi extender and into the pulse base station at which point it goes through my network.

Camera>wifi extender (ADT)>base station(ADT)>Tyler's network.

I run a mesh network in my house and have been told my wifi interferes with the ADT wifi extender and the cameras drop out.

The command system ADT has doesnt use a wifi extender and goes straight into my network.

Camera>Tyler's mesh wifi>base station

Basically they want to have me pay to install the new system and count the non functional system I paid 1500 for (just on equipment) as a sunk cost and start over. Also i was never offered the other system anyway when i signed up in the first place so its not like i even had that option when i started.

Sound normal for ADT? Also does anyone use the command system and/or have issues with camera reliability on the pulse system? My cameras go out daily for hours at a time. Multiple tech service calls are all the same result. They cant fix it as changing the channels moving the extender around and checking the equipment doesnt help. Comand system is the only solution and they cant guarantee it will work. My wifi is very fast, all the equipment on the ADT side is "ideally located" and my network doesnt have any issues.

Would you throw more money at the problem or just deal with it as is. Can you get out of a contract for service issues?

I call every time a camera goes out just to document it and be a nuisance. Yesterday a customer care person literally said "its technology its not supposed to work all the time ". I was also told "if you had a contract coming up for renewal we could do something for you" Really? how about not pissing me off so much that when my contract is up im not already 100% sure im leaving. Seems a bit short sighted to only care in the last 6 months of a contract. They seem to think troubleshooting it every day and "uplugging it and plugging it in again" is a solution. What happens when im not home? ridiculous
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 2.00.41 PM.jpeg (131.4 KB, 281 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 05:41 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I had ADT once.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 05:45 AM   #3
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I had ADT once.
My buddy has it... seems like they charge double for what decent local company does.

I use an independent company and have great results... it’s not overdone and uses their own cell transponder. All wireless with name brand equipment. Oh, and no contract for about $30/month
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 05:54 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

ADT issues

Tyler
Before accepting their offer of paying more for something that still may not work, maybe try some simple RF troubleshooting?

If you have a mesh hub like Eero, Linksys, etc. try disabling the mesh and just run your WiFi router. Disconnect all the ADT apps/cameras and hubs. Then reconnect the ADT stuff in the sequence they recommend.

If the problem of disconnecting cameras disappears then the mesh is the issue. Possibly the channels need to be changed on the mesh and the ADT cameras set for a channel more separated from the mesh.

I don’t use ADT, but when my security company offered to hookup cameras for a cool $2500, I bought an Arlo and enabled my own alerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 06:06 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Tyler
Before accepting their offer of paying more for something that still may not work, maybe try some simple RF troubleshooting?

If you have a mesh hub like Eero, Linksys, etc. try disabling the mesh and just run your WiFi router. Disconnect all the ADP apps/cameras and hubs. Then reconnect the ADP stuff in the sequence they recommend.

If the problem of disconnecting cameras disappears then the mesh is the issue. Possibly the channels need to be changed on the mesh and the ADP cameras set for a channel more separated from the mesh.

I don’t use ADP, but when my security company offered to hookup cameras for a cool $2500, I bought an Arlo and enabled my own alerts.

on the ADT side they have changed the channels several times to keep it away from my network. As far as my mesh network i suppose i could turn it off and wait to see if the camera issue is resolved however then i cant control the rest of my house We use it for all the lights, streaming, thermostats, and home kit stuff etc.

Ill give it a try though to confirm its wifi interference.

Number of other devices connected to the network/conflicting is ruled out too as i had the issue while still living in London and the house was empty with only the mesh network running

The wifi extender ADT has in the house is probably < 10 feet from the front camera which is then about 20 feet from the ADT pulse base station. Front camera is 15 feet in the air above the front porch and the extender is on the second floor right above it so we are not talking about a distance issue either
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 6 July 2019, 10:55 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

really no ADT pulse users? Or ADT command?
Old 6 July 2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Nope. But I gave up on adt. Now use other monitoring firm and have ring cameras as well.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 11:01 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Nope. But I gave up on adt. Now use other monitoring firm and have ring cameras as well.
I just have a Ring doorbell camera... that works fine, but again that goes from the camera directly into my home wifi. Not into my network in a round about way that the ADT cameras utilize for the pulse system.

Im guessing thats why they came out with the command system. Seems like a totally inefficient way to enter the home wifi network
Old 6 July 2019, 09:55 PM   #9
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Tyler- I have an ADT pulse system that was put in in 2013. At the time it was $7,500. It was GREAT until the last two years. Now I’m having all the issues you’re experiencing. I have cameras in my alley and in my garage, they are offline more than they are online. I raised hell about 6 months ago, they came out and replaced everything. It worked for about a week and now it’s happening again all the time.

They are on my list to deal with again next week. I’m gonna end up having them run a cat line to the garage and hard wiring everything. The stuff in the house has always worked fine though. I had them hardwire all the main cameras via coax when the house was still under construction.
Old 6 July 2019, 10:43 PM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Tyler- I have an ADT pulse system that was put in in 2013. At the time it was $7,500. It was GREAT until the last two years. Now I’m having all the issues you’re experiencing. I have cameras in my alley and in my garage, they are offline more than they are online. I raised hell about 6 months ago, they came out and replaced everything. It worked for about a week and now it’s happening again all the time.

They are on my list to deal with again next week. I’m gonna end up having them run a cat line to the garage and hard wiring everything. The stuff in the house has always worked fine though. I had them hardwire all the main cameras via coax when the house was still under construction.
glad to know im not the only one

Ask them about command. maybe it will help. You have been a customer longer so they may just swap it vs swapping the pulse equipment

command is wireless only but as i mentioned it goes directly into your network from wherever you have home hubs. No way im on board with them running internet cables all over the outside of my house. Im just hardwired for power not internet where the cameras go
Old 6 July 2019, 10:51 PM   #11
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
glad to know im not the only one

Ask them about command. maybe it will help. You have been a customer longer so they may just swap it vs swapping the pulse equipment

command is wireless only but as i mentioned it goes directly into your network from wherever you have home hubs. No way im on board with them running internet cables all over the outside of my house. Im just hardwired for power not internet where the cameras go
I can't help you with ADT, I use a local company that does all the banks and pharmacies.

If you can get out of ADT, move on to a local service. My security company hates wireless. They will install it if you want it, but a hard wired system is much more reliable. Upfront costs are obviously a lot more on an existing property, but long term maintenance and reliability are worth the cost.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 11:53 PM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
No way im on board with them running internet cables all over the outside of my house. Im just hardwired for power not internet where the cameras go

If the WiFi trouble can’t be solved and you have to punt, are your cameras POE compatible?

If so, there are contractors who specialize in attic or basement cable runs. That way the cable isn’t exposed.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 12:24 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If the WiFi trouble can’t be solved and you have to punt, are your cameras POE compatible?

If so, there are contractors who specialize in attic or basement cable runs. That way the cable isn’t exposed.

the current cameras yes, can be hardwired. If i switch the system then no. So thats sort of the dilemma. No basements in Houston however our house is Pier and Beam so its easy to get under the house
Old 7 July 2019, 12:36 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I can't help you with ADT, I use a local company that does all the banks and pharmacies.

If you can get out of ADT, move on to a local service. My security company hates wireless. They will install it if you want it, but a hard wired system is much more reliable. Upfront costs are obviously a lot more on an existing property, but long term maintenance and reliability are worth the cost.
im leaning more toward the hardwired option. Seems like the conservative choice. Probably a similar cost to switching out the system and no guarantee it will work staying on wireless. Plus i dont have to give any more money to ADT and have a contractor do it.
Old 7 July 2019, 01:12 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
My first few months were an utter disaster

Worked out the bugs and I’ve been happy since. If I could have gotten out, I would have. But they kept upgrading my system at no cost, I’m an effort to fix the problems and retain the contract.

I’ll still leave when I’m done. But that’s three years from now.

Good luck. I hope you get it fixed.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 01:14 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
My first few months were an utter disaster

Worked out the bugs and I’ve been happy since. If I could have gotten out, I would have. But they kept upgrading my system at no cost, I’m an effort to fix the problems and retain the contract.

I’ll still leave when I’m done. But that’s three years from now.

Good luck. I hope you get it fixed.
at this point im not at the stage where they are wiling to upgrade it at no cost. Im all for it to give it a go. Basically the local branch says the 800 number can authorize an upgrade and the 800 number says the local branch is the only one that can.

Paying to fix it at my cost is kind of a principle thing for me
Old 11 August 2019, 01:26 AM   #17
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Well, I finally upgraded to the control system from the pulse. I am happy to report it is MUCH better and working well.
Old 11 August 2019, 05:53 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Well, I finally upgraded to the control system from the pulse. I am happy to report it is MUCH better and working well.
yeah im still waiting on my upgrade. You wouldn't think it would have been such an issue but I've had mangers and regional mangers at my house more than once in the past month.

Unless they make minimum wage just the time spent not understanding why it isn't working, just upgrading it would cost less.

I log all my ADT phone calls and its 35 calls ive made in July. More calls than days. So maybe ill just annoy them into submission
Dont have the August numbers handy at the moment.

all i know is the control system looks much cooler with the keypads
Old 11 August 2019, 06:46 AM   #19
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah im still waiting on my upgrade. You wouldn't think it would have been such an issue but I've had mangers and regional mangers at my house more than once in the past month.

Unless they make minimum wage just the time spent not understanding why it isn't working, just upgrading it would cost less.

I log all my ADT phone calls and its 35 calls ive made in July. More calls than days. So maybe ill just annoy them into submission
Dont have the August numbers handy at the moment.

all i know is the control system looks much cooler with the keypads
I gave up fighting with them and just paid for the damn upgrade. It really wasn't too bad. All the old sensors worked. I just needed new cameras. 10 new cameras- $2500.
Old 11 August 2019, 08:27 AM   #20
kulak
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of wireless. It can be jammed. Keeps honest people honest.

[935] SimpliSafe Alarm Bypassed With a $2 Device From Amazon
https://youtu.be/UlNkQJzw4oA

My cameras are hardwired and mounted such that wires are not visible outside. It is all power over Ethernet and UPS backup keeps them going with power loss.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 08:49 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
Not a fan of wireless. It can be jammed. Keeps honest people honest.

[935] SimpliSafe Alarm Bypassed With a $2 Device From Amazon
https://youtu.be/UlNkQJzw4oA

My cameras are hardwired and mounted such that wires are not visible outside. It is all power over Ethernet and UPS backup keeps them going with power loss.
once they gave me the wired option i was out.

Its a totally secondary app not integrated with the system at all. So using an app for the alarm (door locks etc) and app for the wired cameras, as well as the app for the doorbell and app for smart house stuff i feel like it was a bridge too far.

Not opposed to wired, but it has to be integrated to the controls of the system and not some standalone "fix"

app overload is real

I have no illusions that a camera would actually be helpful in the event of a crime. DNA, fingerprints etc would be easier to collect than matching a face from what is not the best quality image. Its more to keep an eye on things. See when packages get delivered. Figure out where the kids are, otherwise i might lose them. So if someone jams them its not my biggest concern. If they are going to go that route, they would probably be smart enough to not look up at the cameras in the first place.

Honestly the best function of the cameras is to use them as a motion detector. Mine are set to alert me after 11pm. So if it detects motion i get emails and phone notifications in real time. It records too, but IMO it kind of uses the camera in an active way vs a passive after the fact way to "see what happened". I had a dog in my yard one night and i was downstairs and out the front door before it had time to take a dump on my lawn, because i got the notifications. Otherwise i would just have a great clip of it the next day
Old 11 August 2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Abdullah71601
Banned

If you just want to see what’s going on, look into Ring, Arlo, or Canary. The run a base station connected via ethernet cable to your router.

All these wifi cameras struggle with competing devices. Your wifi has to be really good, and really fast. A solution is to have a second router dedicated to the cameras. Alternatively, Arlo has a cellular camera for $350.
Old 11 August 2019, 10:07 AM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
If you just want to see what’s going on, look into Ring, Arlo, or Canary. The run a base station connected via ethernet cable to your router.

All these wifi cameras struggle with competing devices. Your wifi has to be really good, and really fast. A solution is to have a second router dedicated to the cameras. Alternatively, Arlo has a cellular camera for $350.
i have 30 some devices on my network and its super fast.... however the problem was there when the house was empty and no devices.

The problem is these cameras are not on my network directly and enter it via a wifi extender that runs parallel to my home network and then in to my network.

The wifi extender does compete with the mesh network as far as interference i believe.

the command system would go directly into my network. Since the pulse cameras are not directly on my network thats why you need a hard reboot every time they go offline. With them being directly on my network with the command system, the wifi recognizes the devices meaning they can reload themselves if the connection is interrupted. Apparently

In anycase the problem is with the wifi extender. Which under any other circumstance wouldn't be necessary at all as i have a wifi node in every single room in the house anyway
Old 11 August 2019, 10:11 AM   #24
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
I use ADT for basic monitoring, but would not user them for anything else. There are far better and cheaper solutions out there for video surveillance
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 10:21 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
i have 30 some devices on my network and its super fast.... however the problem was there when the house was empty and no devices.

The problem is these cameras are not on my network directly and enter it via a wifi extender that runs parallel to my home network and then in to my network.

The wifi extender does compete with the mesh network as far as interference i believe.

the command system would go directly into my network. Since the pulse cameras are not directly on my network thats why you need a hard reboot every time they go offline. With them being directly on my network with the command system, the wifi recognizes the devices meaning they can reload themselves if the connection is interrupted. Apparently

In anycase the problem is with the wifi extender. Which under any other circumstance wouldn't be necessary at all as i have a wifi node in every single room in the house anyway
The problem is ADT sucks. A secondary problem is extenders usually slow your wifi down causing problems with connected devices. I doubt you’ll get ADT to work, because they suck.

Look into Ring, Canary, and Arlo. No extender. Their base talks to their cameras independent of your wifi system. The ethernet cable connects to your router. Blink connects via wifi to your router as a device.

There are a lot of hard wried options as well.
Old 13 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #26
function12
"TRF" Member

I bought 8 4K POE cameras with 16gig NVR cheaper then what they charged you. Looks up Nellys Security. Great cameras and service. Hardwired cameras and sensors is the ONLY way to go with a security system.
As other has said. Wireless can be jammed.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote