The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2019, 08:09 PM   #31
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I'm a stacker of precious metals and this debate always rears it's head as to where best to store etc. Some argue the fridge can be more secure than a safe in regards to hiding in plain sight plus the added risk of being woken abruptly and being forced to open it should anyone eye it and word get out.

I guess the plus point of a watch is the wrist can be the most secure place - especially when on holiday etc.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:13 PM   #32
Wes911
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Keep mine all at home in a large gun safe. A thief may get into it with enough time but the safe itself surely isn't going anywhere.

Curious if anyone here has actually ever had their home burglarized? I could probably never even lock the safe and never have a problem. I am more concerned about fire than theft which is why they stay in the safe in the first place. Of course they are insured to cover both cases.
Wes911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:36 PM   #33
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
All in home safe, insured
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:42 PM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
So I have a multiple watches that deserve to be in rotation. Problem is
most are in the safety deposit box in the bank. It also sucks going to the bank often and going through the whole safety deposit dance. I do have a safe at home but is it really 'safe'. Curious to know what you all do?
Myself keep 4795 watches in my home as I like to advertise my collection on the net, as this draws in the the local thieves but in my location they are very very few.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:47 PM   #35
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Myself keep 4795 watches in my home as I like to advertise my collection on the net, as this draws in the the local thieves but in my location they are very very few.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:51 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m the only guy on TRF that keeps his at the bank

It’s convenient for me, literally a 4 minute drive from home or work. A home safe isn’t my thing. I’d rather keep valuables at the bank, than in my home.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:58 PM   #37
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
all of my watches are insured for replacement value, and i currently keep them in a box at my bank as due to family health issues, i’m renting a home in NC (i own my home in tahoe). if i owned this home also, i would have a safe bolted to the floor.

i do occasionally have all of my watches here at the house, for rotational purposes, or because i just want to. given that they’re all insured, it isn’t a major fear, but i do feel a small sense of added security with them not all here in one place.

i do think it’s curious that some folks store their warranty cards away from the collection. i hadn’t considered that.

whatever floats yours, ya dig?
Old 17 September 2019, 09:08 PM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
How many watches do you keep at home?
All of them
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:58 PM   #39
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I use my bank. My local branch is open 7 days a week and until 7pm weekdays so its easy to go once every 2-4 weeks for a change.

We had a rash of local break ins a few years ago. I was lucky I used to keep them all on display in my office. Local thieves mostly stole stuff that was in view, quick hits just looking for open doors and fast cash.

Insurance is too expensive for me. Once you get a few nice pieces in your collection it gets out of hand. Why pay 3% of the value on 10 nice watches... within a few years you can cover the loss of one.

I wish I could buy $20k of umbrella insurance for whichever watch I have on that day. Its silly to insure 10 watches if 10 can never be stolen. (Unless Danny Ocean breaks into the bank vault....)
Old 17 September 2019, 10:36 PM   #40
stateman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademarco View Post
All kept inside various gun safes at home with an alarm on home that notifies local police department. They call me verify everything is ok. Most of the time it is someone at the house forgot to disarm the alarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bingo - me too, all in the gun safe, fully alarmed home and also the more expensive pieces are insured. Nobody is going to casually haul the gun safe out of the house...
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:15 PM   #41
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
At home.
800+ lb Fort Knox safe bolted into concrete.
Camera in room where safe is located with motion sensing notification.
Impact windows.
Alarm.
.....and items we can’t discuss.
Old 18 September 2019, 12:17 AM   #42
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Multiple banks safes- I have a 6 watch box/case that fits inside my backpack. I go to the bank once a month and swap out 6 from the bank. I find 6 per month adequate, and when I am traveling to my cabin or otherwise, I bring the 6 with me.

I don’t insure- the collection has grown and as someone mentioned above, at 2-3% per year, it’s expensive and not necessary. If the 6 get stolen that I have in rotation.... I can replace them.

My bank knows me, so the horror story of these large banks closing an account for non payment or moving boxes, isn’t likely. Look at the statistics of home invasions versus bank boxes getting cleaned out- I’ll stick with the bank.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:19 AM   #43
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

All of them. Safety deposit box? Didn't most banks do away with these years ago?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:29 AM   #44
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Humor right?
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:31 AM   #45
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Those who just "leave them out" . . . if and when you post here your horror of them being stolen . . . No sympathy.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:34 AM   #46
Rollie Gent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I keep mine in an 800 pound, Liberty Lincoln Safe, bolted into the concrete floor of a fully alarmed, well lighted home in a gated community.
I have the liberty Lincoln safe as well. Been tempted to get a Fort Knox with some custom built watch drawers. Once you get a safe you always want more room!
Rollie Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:37 AM   #47
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Those who just "leave them out" . . . if and when you post here your horror of them being stolen . . . No sympathy.

That's what insurance is for.....
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:38 AM   #48
Rollie Gent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Now I realize plenty of crime exists here too (Japan) but my watches are literally in a watch roll on the dresser 24/7. Alarmed condo on 26F. Sure, it COULD happen but it’s rather unlikely. I’d never keep them at a bank
I've seen people put money back in other peoples pockets after they passed out drunk on the street in Japan. I would feel safe with my watches there.
Rollie Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:43 AM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 10:15 AM   #50
drefrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm going to go contrary to the trend above. I usually keep two at home and go back and forth between them for a week or two. Then I change those out and continue this until I work thru my rotation.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 10:26 AM   #51
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Some of us live in safe areas.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 10:41 AM   #52
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
750 lb. American Security safe installed on the second level of my home...expensive delivery charge but that safe is going nowhere. Not to mention home alarm system and hidden interior motion detector near safe. Has all my watches and other valuables in it. Complete piece of mind when I leave the house...
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:06 AM   #53
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Massive Brown Chronos Jewelry Safe lag bolted into the wall, 2 German Shepherds that are trained killers in a Gated well lit Community with Armed Security on Patrol at all times of the day.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:17 AM   #54
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I keep mine in an 800 pound, Liberty Lincoln Safe, bolted into the concrete floor of a fully alarmed, well lighted home in a gated community.
I would imagine you have a legitimate arsenal.....
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:40 PM   #55
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
most are in the safety deposit box in the bank. It also sucks going to the bank often and going through the whole safety deposit dance. I do have a safe at home but is it really 'safe'. Curious to know what you all do?
Do you live in unsafe neighborhood? If yes, I would move out.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 04:39 PM   #56
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
FYI, a bank safe is not really safe. There are horror stories about property disappearing from such safes. If you have too many watches, then pick the one you like best and sell the rest. No more need to worry or go to the bank often.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 07:00 PM   #57
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
Read this...It may just change the way you think about safety deposit boxes. It did for me. I literally went out the next day and spent very good money for a quality safe and every piece I have is fully insured.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/b...box-theft.html
That was a very interesting, and terribly disturbing article. You're right: I'll never think about "safe" deposit boxes being safe from now on. Thanks for posting it.

Additionally, since moving into a high security gated condominium, my concern of burglary/theft is non existent. According to 'building lore' there has never been a break and enter or invasion since the facility was built. Armed 24 hr. patrol, CCTV and ID checks are great for peace of mind. I only have a couple of lux watches but I own other items which I used to worry about. Security was a key selling point when I bought my suite. Maintenance fees reflect this service but I consider it money well spent.
M

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:53 PM   #58
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m the only guy on TRF that keeps his at the bank

It’s convenient for me, literally a 4 minute drive from home or work. A home safe isn’t my thing. I’d rather keep valuables at the bank, than in my home.

How often do you go to swap watches?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:56 PM   #59
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
How often do you go to swap watches?
Twice a week, sometimes three

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote