The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2017, 07:53 AM   #331
Goin2drt
Banned

Went in to pick up my sons that I ordered online a few days ago. Line was like 5 people long. When picking his up I got an Apple stem in my arse and asked if he had a 8+ for me or did I need to order online and wait. He smiled, “we have plenty”. I bought one and will now wait for the next X to give up the home button. Glad to be back to Apple. That 6 month rendezvous with Samsung was awful.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 10:47 AM   #332
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Absolutely. Those pics aren’t indicative of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think they indicate the value of pre-order selling and having the unit shipped. The iPhone X will prolly be pre-ordered by a large % of the buyers to avoid parking, lines, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:19 AM   #333
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I do think they indicate the value of pre-order selling and having the unit shipped. The iPhone X will prolly be pre-ordered by a large % of the buyers to avoid parking, lines, etc...

Stock is down 14 points. 8 is a failure by apple standards the market has decided.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:33 AM   #334
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:

Why would it be any different than years past? Some people love waiting in that line for some crazy reason.

It happens every year

rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:35 AM   #335
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Stock is down 14 points. 8 is a failure by apple standards the market has decided.

Apple really messed this up

The 8 should’ve been launched as the 7 last year and the X would have a captive audience this year.

rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:38 AM   #336
Star Ferry
Banned

I'll buy an X to see what its like but the 8 seems pretty lame for a new model
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 12:02 PM   #337
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Why would it be any different than years past? Some people love waiting in that line for some crazy reason.

It happens every year

Because only the deeply invested fanboys/girls are all about that craziness IMHO.

As for the success rate of the 8/8+ I think we will have to wait until after holidays to tally up the combined sales of 8/8+, AW3 & X before we decide win/lose/draw.

You know they post 5-10% growth on an ever growing base - and still invent new stuff.

Personal story - my AW3 came in at 3:30 today. Put iPhone on iOS 11, turned off old Series1 Apple watch, turned on AW3, and took 15 minutes to clone it, activate cellular and pair AirPods. Went for a walk and was able to take/make calls no worries. Also traversed multiple WiFi nets and no troubles.

As long as they can integrate tech and make it Amazon easy I think they have a future.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 01:33 PM   #338
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Because only the deeply invested fanboys/girls are all about that craziness IMHO.

As for the success rate of the 8/8+ I think we will have to wait until after holidays to tally up the combined sales of 8/8+, AW3 & X before we decide win/lose/draw.

You know they post 5-10% growth on an ever growing base - and still invent new stuff.

Personal story - my AW3 came in at 3:30 today. Put iPhone on iOS 11, turned off old Series1 Apple watch, turned on AW3, and took 15 minutes to clone it, activate cellular and pair AirPods. Went for a walk and was able to take/make calls no worries. Also traversed multiple WiFi nets and no troubles.

As long as they can integrate tech and make it Amazon easy I think they have a future.

Precisely. They already own the high end market. The ecosystem is real. Everything blends so smoothly I would never buy a non apple phone.
Old 23 September 2017, 02:22 PM   #339
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
DOA.

Terrible product strategy IMO... the iPhone 8 was a stop gap for the X which cannot support demand at all because of the OLED shortage. And it's obvious now that no one wants the 8.

And this whole Apple Watch outselling Rolex crap, give me a break. In the CE world of success metrics, 11 million units a year is nothing.

I also hate the fact they went after Rolex publically like that, diminishing the value for the sake of complete ignorance.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 06:14 PM   #340
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Did the iPhone SE get a refresh?

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:04 PM   #341
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Did the iPhone SE get a refresh?

Price drop.
Old 23 September 2017, 07:18 PM   #342
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I picked up the 7 plus last year. I want the X. But the second gen. A lot of new tech that could go buggy. That and I’m less motivated to upgrade. Unlike when the iPhone first came out.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:47 PM   #343
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
I’m less motivated to upgrade. Unlike when the iPhone first came out.

This!!!!!!!

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 07:27 PM   #344
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Hit the Apple Store today. I know a lot of people are making a big deal about a $1k phone but look at everything it replaces. I'm not going to get one until I see solid reviews but apple is the king of taking new tech and perfecting it so I'm not worried. My 7+ 128 gb was 950$according to the salesman. What's another $50 and I have been offered $650 for my 7+ so really only going to cost me about 350 if I don't use a free upgrade I have on an outstanding line so it's pretty
Much not going to cost me a dime. And my mom who is on my plan to save money will get a free phone too since it's a Farm account. I'm not the biggest apple fan and mostly us PC but the iPhone has always treated me well I've owned every one except the 4 or 4s when I got a note 4. But I will say after messing with the note 4 and galaxy today they are pretty amazing. And the notes $950 anyway. I think the media just wants to hammer apple sometimes. But regardless I'd say apple has a pretty good idea of why the public wants and it's going to sell.

gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 10:21 AM   #345
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Are those who purchased the new iPhones to date happy with them?
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 10:25 AM   #346
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Love it but remembered as mentioned above I am coming from a 8 month or so rendezvous with a Samsung S8+.

I realized Apple CarPlay is better than Android Auto. Less glitches. Glad to be back home. I will let the face recognition work itself out and buy the X next year and hand down the 8.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 10:29 AM   #347
Laszlo

My 7+ has been fine. The camera is fantastic and so are the tools for putting together some decent videos. I've been in other camps but have traditionally gone back to Apple. I'm still bothered though that they removed the 3.5 headphone jack. I have workarounds but the sound quality isn't the same even with an external DAC. What I have been tapping into lately is my old iPod Classic 5 and although it's very dated, it still rocks and sounds awesome. Apple somewhat ditched the customer who had a deeper appreciation for music and sound quality and I honestly blame Cook... I don't Steve Jobs would have done it, at least not yet.

Old 27 September 2017, 08:56 AM   #348
manuu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
DOA.

And this whole Apple Watch outselling Rolex crap, give me a break. In the CE world of success metrics, 11 million units a year is nothing.

I also hate the fact they went after Rolex publically like that, diminishing the value for the sake of complete ignorance.
Weren't only talking about units sold. Apple Watch sales also beat Rolex by revenue which is impressive no matter how you look at it.
manuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 09:11 AM   #349
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
My HR Director has the 8+ since Friday. She is very happy so far. The performance improvement/speed is evident in resource hog apps.

I am still holding out for the X
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 09:40 AM   #350
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
My 7+ has been fine. The camera is fantastic and so are the tools for putting together some decent videos. I've been in other camps but have traditionally gone back to Apple. I'm still bothered though that they removed the 3.5 headphone jack. I have workarounds but the sound quality isn't the same even with an external DAC. What I have been tapping into lately is my old iPod Classic 5 and although it's very dated, it still rocks and sounds awesome. Apple somewhat ditched the customer who had a deeper appreciation for music and sound quality and I honestly blame Cook... I don't Steve Jobs would have done it, at least not yet.
Have you considered the iPhone SE? Still has the headphone jack
Old 27 September 2017, 12:29 PM   #351
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Have you considered the iPhone SE? Still has the headphone jack
Maybe I just need to get with the times.

Old 27 September 2017, 12:39 PM   #352
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
I got my 8 on Friday and it replaced my 6S. The biggest difference for me is the battery life which makes it worth it to me. The battery on my 6S was slowly going and now I can go all day without worrying about having to charge my phone.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 10:22 PM   #353
mfer
"TRF" Member

I just saw the 8+ from a coworker. I can't believe how it is sooooo similar to my 6+. I'm not an app junkie so I guess I'll wait for the Xs or 11.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 12:01 AM   #354
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe I just need to get with the times.
Serious question. Do serious audiophiles even use a phone as their music device? Somebody who really cares about high fidelity would have a dedicated home setup, no? Listening to music on your phone is for when you are out and about...hardly the place to sit down and really concentrate on the sound.

I am happy some some good quality Bluetooth headphones.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 12:05 AM   #355
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I use an iPod at the gym. Music gets me through the boring workouts. iPod is much smaller than my iPhone.

I tried blue tooth earphones about 5 year ago and the sound was not good, but I guess they improved the quality. Maybe I'll try the newest iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Serious question. Do serious audiophiles even use a phone as their music device? Somebody who really cares about high fidelity would have a dedicated home setup, no? Listening to music on your phone is for when you are out and about...hardly the place to sit down and really concentrate on the sound.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 12:59 AM   #356
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I like to change my phone every other year and I now want to replace my 6S+. I'd love an X but the completely new form factor and the thought of it being full of bugs makes me want to wait until the XS comes out near. I'm seriously thinking of an 8+ now and the OLED next year. Or maybe just squeeze another year out of my 6S+

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 01:14 AM   #357
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

A lot of audiophiles like the DAC that iDevices used in the past, apparently it was quite accurate without any house curves added. However you had to use headphones that the iDevice amp sections were capable of driving. That said, many folks to have dedicated DAC's and amps for their at-home wired headphones.

I'm with you on the Bluetooth headphones. The newest Beats Bluetooth in-ear monitors are actually pretty good.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 01:22 AM   #358
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I will likely wait for Apple to work out any major bugs in the X before I decide to trade in my 6, which works fine for me.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 06:08 AM   #359
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hi guys.... My iP8 update: I do like my phone, albeit it is slightly larger than my 5s, the latter size I prefer.

Since I upgraded from a 5s to an 8, had intolerable incompatibility software issues... a "hosed" apple password (for some unexplainable reason ) necessitating waiting 24 hrs for Apple to send new password instructions which required another hour to take effect, screen freezing, unable to swipe consistently and typed words vanishing, outbox smtp.live.com disabled......

Had to invest in a 6 hr session with (thankfully) an absolutely awesome Apple tech (3rd one, first 2 not experienced) who finally was able to, over internet miles, erase and restore 8 code with my transferred data intact from the 5s. What an experience!

The tech did say I was the second person he encountered with issues such as mine with the recent new phones so far. But overall, he said most of his call center assists were simple fixes/questions and the 8 performance has not yet had a lot of major complaints.

My fault...Definitely an issue to hold onto a phone for years while newer versions pass by... my lesson learned re: code incompatibility issues.

Also, the thing that has to be avoided unless you really need to initiate it, concerns the two buttons (volume down and power) held simultaneously that immediately trigger 9 1 1 calls. The first two techs, requesting access to my phone, had no clue access functionality changed for the iP8, which caused calling emergency 3 times because they did not believe I was following their instructions....

Hopefully, I'm back to smiling about my new purchase without any further software issues. Have a great day, all!
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 06:26 AM   #360
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I use an iPod at the gym. Music gets me through the boring workouts. iPod is much smaller than my iPhone.

I tried blue tooth earphones about 5 year ago and the sound was not good, but I guess they improved the quality. Maybe I'll try the newest iPod.
Hang on to it. I heard the ipod is no longer being made.
I use my phone paired with a quality pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones at the gym. No wires anymore, works great!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote