The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2017, 11:27 PM   #31
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Porche Hybrid Super Yacht!

Largest yacht I've ever been on was Kismet at the Monaco F1 GP but I've seen it all over the Caribbean and the Med. The 315' was absolutely stunning. Charter is $1.5m a week plus expenses.... like hundreds of thousands in fuel, food , drinks, and entertainment. I was able to get on it during the Monaco GP in 2014. At 315' it's one of the largest charter yachts in the world. It was really about the size of the cruise ship I went home for my spring break in college. Total price to build was around $140m and now worth about $200m. Annual upkeep is around $25m.... Cameras weren't allowed do to all the F1 big wigs so only photos from outside the amazing yacht. It's owned by Sahid Kahn the owner of the Jacksonville Jags and a huge automotive company. Sad think is its about 1/8the gross tons of Rising Sun and Kismet could be 1/30 the displacement of the largest private yachts in service and there is one being built now that will be 740' long and cost $1bbuilt now that will called Tripe Deuceowned by Roman Abromovich. Not to mention Triple Deuce will cost $150-200m a year in upkeep. She will be as long as over 60% of all current cruiseships. I can't imagine a ship like triple Deuce for private use. I've been on Allure of the seas, Oaisis of the seas, the liberty class ships and some
others that were actually smaller than a privately owned mega yacht.

Triple Deuce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 01:46 AM   #32
BravoOne
Banned

These two belong to a guy I worked for back in the early 2000 time period. He actually had a 3rd, 215' named Maduse.

I have been onboard the Tatoosh and the Octopus on several occasion although never for one his over the top parties I'm afraid.

The Octopus has a 50' submarine housed internally and launched out the stern. Real life James Bond stuff. It's no longer the biggest by far as the mine is bigger than yours crowd has come on strong.

https://www.slideshare.net/iamdaryll...allens-octopus

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/lu...73/tatoosh.htm

He picked up the Tatoosh right after it had been put into service for one of his friends who fell on hard times by multi billionaire standards, and his accountants told him he needed to unload a few toys.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 02:23 AM   #33
gwalker
"TRF" Member

That second mega yacht is Azsam. Believe it's the largest private yacht right now. its crazy that is is over than 2x the length of Tatoosh. And Triple Deuce will be 100ft larger. Paul Allen and Larry Ellison and David. Giffin seem to switch yachts between themselves quite regularly. I play $50 march madness ok. Imagine 30 guests and 90 crew. I'd say u get food service. Hahaha

Old 25 September 2017, 03:06 AM   #34
BravoOne
Banned

I'm pretty sure that Paul Allen has never traded any yachts with Ellison or Geffin. Geffin almost bought the Meduse from Allen, but the deal fell through and he now owns another larger boat. The Tatoosh was briefly owned by John McCaw prior to Allen buying it in 2001(?) and the Octopus has always been with Allen. You frequently see it mentioned as a 200 million dollar yacht but those close to the project say it was the Mother of all cost overruns, and may have gone out the door at over 600 million?
Old 26 September 2017, 01:57 PM   #35
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
I'm pretty sure that Paul Allen has never traded any yachts with Ellison or Geffin. Geffin almost bought the Meduse from Allen, but the deal fell through and he now owns another larger boat. The Tatoosh was briefly owned by John McCaw prior to Allen buying it in 2001(?) and the Octopus has always been with Allen. You frequently see it mentioned as a 200 million dollar yacht but those close to the project say it was the Mother of all cost overruns, and may have gone out the door at over 600 million?

You are right. I was huge into mega
Yachts when the Octopus and Rising sun came out. After gaining the privilege of boarding some I stopped keeping up with who owns and sells what. Those guys trade boats like commoners eexchangencuos of sugar.

Old 26 September 2017, 08:52 PM   #36
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Yachts when the Octopus and Rising sun came out. After gaining the privilege of boarding some I stopped keeping up with who owns and sells what. Those guys trade boats like commoners eexchangencuos of sugar.

PA seems to be a pretty stable and a satisfied owner having only sold one boat in the last sixteen years. How many watches have you sold in that same time frame? Don't ask how many crews has has gone through over that same period.
Old 26 September 2017, 09:08 PM   #37
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

You were huge into mega yachts when you were 18 years old?

What does that mean?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:14 PM   #38
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PA seems to be a pretty stable and a satisfied owner having only sold one boat in the last sixteen years. How many watches have you sold in that same time frame? Don't ask how many crews has has gone through over that same period.

He is one of the few but the main reasons he is an amateur oceanographer and most mega yachts don't have equipment needed for deep ocean exploring. I have an undergrad degree in Biology/Marine Science and a graduate degree in marine bio. The problem of course isnt his money it's the lack of tech to explore the depths and the years and years it takes to perfect the technology So even after 10+ years his yaxhtis still verystate Of the art when it comes to scientific research. The 6 month cruise I went in was on a bat from 1967 and this was in the 2000's.

Old 26 September 2017, 09:20 PM   #39
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
You were huge into mega yachts when you were 18 years old?

What does that mean?

My father is a Sultan.... JK. No I always got Power and motor yacht as kid. I spent time in C.I. Bahamas, and Monaco among others. We also were big fishermen so I was always around large boats. I took a 64' boat through a drawbridge alone in the wheelhouse when I was 11-12 years old with 3 feet on each side. Dad said only way to learn is do it urself and waked out of the wheelhouse and didn't come back. Got through no issues!!!

Old 26 September 2017, 09:21 PM   #40
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
My father is a Sultan.... JK. No I always got Power and motor yacht as kid. I spent time in C.I. Bahamas, and Monaco among others. We also were big fishermen so I was always around large boats. I took a 64' boat through a drawbridge alone in the wheelhouse when I was 11-12 years old with 3 feet in each side. Dad said only way to learn is do it urself and waked out of the wheelhouse and didn't come back.

ok.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:22 PM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
My father is a Sultan.... JK. No I always got Power and motor yacht as kid. I spent time in C.I. Bahamas, and Monaco among others. We also were big fishermen so I was always around large boats. I took a 64' boat through a drawbridge alone in the wheelhouse when I was 11-12 years old with 3 feet in each side. Dad said only way to learn is do it urself and waked out of the wheelhouse and didn't come back.

That's awesome. I wasn't allowed to back the car into the garage at that age
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:23 PM   #42
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
ok.

Heck my best friend is into trains and he spent all weekend in Kansas City looking at trains. I'm sure there are
Plenty that think we are nuts with watches.

Old 26 September 2017, 09:26 PM   #43
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That's awesome. I wasn't allowed to back the car into the garage at that age

The car was another issue entirely.... I was allowed to take our 64 sportfish out alone at 15-16 but it was
Pulling teeth to
Go to the movies.

Old 26 September 2017, 09:37 PM   #44
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You're right. He built it as he wanted
And can use it for decades. Last documentary I saw they were in the North Sea wth WHOI's help. I think Susan Avery Ken Beusseler (sp?) led
The expedition. Only reason I know this is I was at WHOI for about 8 months in the 2000's.

Old 27 September 2017, 12:04 AM   #45
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Thats beautiful
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote