The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2018, 04:51 AM   #31
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I hear you. I am the same way and there is no reason to feel self conscious about it. it's a big purchase and there is nothing wrong with thinking long and hard about it.

What I did was make a list of the pieces that I was looking at and seriously considering. Then I made a list of the things I liked about each one and looked for trends of common threads. The piece that met most of those won out. That's how I came up with the 14060M and eventually the Explorer II (5 digit). Between the two, they hit all the marks for me and are my main go to pieces.

I see many similarities in your choices. I would key in on those and narrow your focus. Good luck!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:10 AM   #32
Banned

What a mess. Rolex has ruined you and you don't even have one yet

You need to sit down and think about what you want man!!
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:11 AM   #33
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Sub, of course.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #34
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A black sub date is an unbeatable first Rolex, imo.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #35
R G
Banned

Rolex drives me crazy

I know how you feel. I had the same issues trying to pick out the right DJ.

I think it’s easy for people to say just pick the one that sings to you, but in reality, there is so much choice within the DJ range, not to mention the OP’s, which to be fair, are of the same sort of family. It’s not like a Sub, or a GMT, where configuration is straight forward.

I ended up going for the DJ41 over the DJ36. Every time i saw the 36 in pictures, I thought I’d made my mind up, and then I would try it on at an AD and it would look too small, and I’ve only got a 6.75ish wrist!

I went backwards and forwards a load of times and then found an AD with the DJ41 in the configuration I wanted it in, tried it on, and got it.

Even since getting it, I have gone back in to AD’s a couple of times for my own sanity to make sure I got the right one, and on both occasions, it reconfirmed why I went for the larger model.

I would imagine that more people upsize, then downsize.

R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:17 AM   #36
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateswiss View Post
are you sure the new 41 has been released a short time ago no ? Do you have more info ? I wish they go with a 38.
TT DJ had slimmer lugs, SS will/have to follow soon.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:23 AM   #37
R G
Banned

Rolex drives me crazy

Quote:
are you sure the new 41 has been released a short time ago no ? Do you have more info ? I wish they go with a 38.

He’s talking about the 36mm.

The smaller size is changing in to a more slender version and these changes happen with two-tone before being rolled out to stainless steel.
Old 22 October 2018, 08:10 AM   #38
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I’d say DJ41 or SubC. Within the DJ41, If you want more sporty then go oyster/smooth bezel; if you want dressy then jubilee/fluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:09 AM   #39
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I like the black dial fluted bezel on your wrist. It’s classic and iconic Rolex yet also very modern and sophisticated

Same for me.

For me, a Datejust should be at 36 (that’s the iconic bet) with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet.

The 36mm has the iconic railroad track on its dial with small Romans with lume hour marker matching perfectly with the hour and minute hands.

If you get the 36mm, you hit two birds with one stone: an iconic Datejust design that is correct and a timepiece that can be mistaken as a legacy watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:15 PM   #40
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
This exactly.

For some reason, that one is just standing out against the other references.

Yes this one is a beauty will be mine one day. It’s just that for my first Rolex I would like something that stands out a bit more.
gateswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:20 PM   #41
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
The Datejust 41 is actually 39mm. I owned one but had to trade it as it was too small. The nicest Datejust 41 imo is the smooth on jubilee rhodium. Not a smooth fan myself but it looks so gorgeous and modern and the dark rhodium goes with anything. Also with you loving the sub but want something that stands out and can dress up just a little more I feel your perfect watch isn’t even on your short list. And it is smaller then a sub around 39mm as well. The new yachtmaster rhodium dial. I went from a black face to rhodium as my wife said the black face was too sporty and the rhodium blends well with any color.

Thank you for advice like the configuration smooth and jubilee too. Prefer the black dial as the grey one. Don’t find the black dial to sporty in my personal opinion especially with the jubilee. For the yacht master thank for the link beautiful watch, expensive so not keen of this fade grey bezel.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:23 PM   #42
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I hear you. I am the same way and there is no reason to feel self conscious about it. it's a big purchase and there is nothing wrong with thinking long and hard about it.

What I did was make a list of the pieces that I was looking at and seriously considering. Then I made a list of the things I liked about each one and looked for trends of common threads. The piece that met most of those won out. That's how I came up with the 14060M and eventually the Explorer II (5 digit). Between the two, they hit all the marks for me and are my main go to pieces.

I see many similarities in your choices. I would key in on those and narrow your focus. Good luck!
Thanks Rob happy that I’m not the only one who have been struggling to find out his precious :-) your advice is good, what did you men by « looked for trends of common threads » ? Have a good day
Old 22 October 2018, 02:26 PM   #43
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
I know how you feel. I had the same issues trying to pick out the right DJ.

I think it’s easy for people to say just pick the one that sings to you, but in reality, there is so much choice within the DJ range, not to mention the OP’s, which to be fair, are of the same sort of family. It’s not like a Sub, or a GMT, where configuration is straight forward.

I ended up going for the DJ41 over the DJ36. Every time i saw the 36 in pictures, I thought I’d made my mind up, and then I would try it on at an AD and it would look too small, and I’ve only got a 6.75ish wrist!

I went backwards and forwards a load of times and then found an AD with the DJ41 in the configuration I wanted it in, tried it on, and got it.

Even since getting it, I have gone back in to AD’s a couple of times for my own sanity to make sure I got the right one, and on both occasions, it reconfirmed why I went for the larger model.

I would imagine that more people upsize, then downsize.

Beautiful watch! Same feeling than you about the 36 and I didn’t really like the small Roman digits that she got. Enjoy your beautiful white Dj
Old 22 October 2018, 04:52 PM   #44
R G
Banned

Quote:
Beautiful watch! Same feeling than you about the 36 and I didn’t really like the small Roman digits that she got. Enjoy your beautiful white Dj

Haha thanks - it’s actually a silver dial, although looks almost white in that photo.
Old 22 October 2018, 04:59 PM   #45
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Rolex drives me crazy

Quote:
Thank you for advice like the configuration smooth and jubilee too. Prefer the black dial as the grey one. Don’t find the black dial to sporty in my personal opinion especially with the jubilee. For the yacht master thank for the link beautiful watch, expensive so not keen of this fade grey bezel.

I used to love black dial watches and for whatever it is worth or the reasons why the black face on my rolexes always showed smudges or fingerprints and every time I looked down at my watch I had to wipe it clean. Drove me crazy. I noticed a lot more on my DJ41 then on my submariner or my old explorer ll. I think it’s because they don’t have a anti reflective coating. On my rhodium dial I don’t have the same issues. And the black dial on the DJ41 is a sunburst which Is beautiful but in certain lighting it gave off a brown hue. Wasn’t a fan. Make sure to take the watch outside and in different lightings. And last point against black and to think about is almost every sports model has a black face. So you might want to get something a little different on a DJ. And with the yacht master I would only buy that on the grey market. You can find them NOS for 10k. About the same price as a DJ41 $9250+tax at a AD. The yaghtmaster is like if the submariner and DJ had a baby lol. It’s gorgeous in person. But buy what you like. Just something to think about. Don’t be like me and lose thousands trying to find the perfect watch. For me it was a step back in some peoples eyes. A DJll. Me and my wife love the huge bezel and I love the way it fits my wrist. I would have never looked at the model but the great people on here told me to check it out since the DJ41 looked too small on my 7.25 wrist. Take your time and look around and check out every single model on your wrist. You might be surprised what sings to you. Best of luck.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:07 PM   #46
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I used to love black dial watches and for whatever it is worth or the reasons why the black face on my rolexes always showed smudges or fingerprints and every time I looked down at my watch I had to wipe it clean. Drove me crazy. I noticed a lot more on my DJ41 then on my submariner or my old explorer ll. I think it’s because they don’t have a anti reflective coating. On my rhodium dial I don’t have the same issues. And the black dial on the DJ41 is a sunburst which Is beautiful but in certain lighting it gave off a brown hue. Wasn’t a fan. Make sure to take the watch outside and in different lightings. And last point against black and to think about is almost every sports model has a black face. So you might want to get something a little different on a DJ. And with the yacht master I would only buy that on the grey market. You can find them NOS for 10k. About the same price as a DJ41 $9250+tax at a AD. The yaghtmaster is like if the submariner and DJ had a baby lol. It’s gorgeous in person. But buy what you like. Just something to think about. Don’t be like me and lose thousands trying to find the perfect watch. For me it was a step back in some peoples eyes. A DJll. Me and my wife love the huge bezel and I love the way it fits my wrist. I would have never looked at the model but the great people on here told me to check it out since the DJ41 looked too small on my 7.25 wrist. Take your time and look around and check out every single model on your wrist. You might be surprised what sings to you. Best of luck.

Good to know, thank you very much. I will have a specific attention to that next time I try a black one. Hope they will not freak out when I will ask to go out with the watch :-)

What I like with black is that it makes the watch look smaller which is what I want for this modell that I consider slightly too big.

But you right anyway have to cake care to not accumulate black watch considering the sub will be mine one day (as well as the Explorer 1 :-) ) and that I will receive soon as a present a Tudor Day date with black dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2301900016.jpg (117.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 22 October 2018, 06:11 PM   #47
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Haha thanks - it’s actually a silver dial, although looks almost white in that photo.
Even better a classic beyong the classic !
Old 22 October 2018, 06:46 PM   #48
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Good to know, thank you very much. I will have a specific attention to that next time I try a black one. Hope they will not freak out when I will ask to go out with the watch :-)

What I like with black is that it makes the watch look smaller which is what I want for this modell that I consider slightly too big.

But you right anyway have to cake care to not accumulate black watch considering the sub will be mine one day (as well as the Explorer 1 :-) ) and that I will receive soon as a present a Tudor Day date with black dial.

Nice. If I were you wand wanted a dark dial take a long look at the blue. It’s very nice and in some lights it looks black as well. That Tudor is very nice. But I wouldn’t want that and a black face DJ. They both cover the same ground.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:55 PM   #49
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice. If I were you wand wanted a dark dial take a long look at the blue. It’s very nice and in some lights it looks black as well. That Tudor is very nice. But I wouldn’t want that and a black face DJ. They both cover the same ground.

Yes it mess up a bit my plan to receive this gift :-) This Tudor is quite dressy I shoulb maybe consider to get a sportier watch to live with. Another reason for the SUB..
Old 22 October 2018, 06:56 PM   #50
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I like the Red 🍇 OP
Old 23 October 2018, 01:57 AM   #51
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

wow I think except the pearl master and the lady day just I think I love all the rolex products range.

Need to sell my convertible in order to buy a couple of Rolex instead.

Shorlist updated :

- white grape OP 36
- 41 Dj black dial smooth and jubilee
- OP 39
- Black sub date 40
- GMT Master jubilee 126710
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-GMT-Master-II-126710BLRO-Watch-StockX-06.jpg (180.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 23 October 2018, 02:58 AM   #52
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
It's an addiction. No need to be aggravated, just enjoy! Trust me you will not just buy one. Don't rush it either. Pick the one you like the most, more will follow later on. Can't go wrong with anything from your list. If it were me I'd pick the sub, it's the perfect all around watch while you're saving up for the rest of the rolex collection! The Explorer I is an underrated watch as well, but it'd be a very versatile first rolex.
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 05:59 AM   #53
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
A black sub date is an unbeatable first Rolex, imo.
Agree wholeheartedly and completely.

After you get the sub, take some time and evaluate just what it is you're needing in a second watch...if anything.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:13 AM   #54
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucsd626 View Post
My vote is for the blue dual with fluted bezel and oyster bracelet. It checks all the boxes!

I fully agree! It's sporty yet dressy at the same time, very versatile indeed! Otherwise the black dial DJ41 would be my second choice. The black Sub date is always a classic too, but maybe that's too big for you based on your comments. Ultimately you might get them all, so it goes...ha! Good luck in your decision. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:36 AM   #55
Abarth90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 / 18038
I would buy the Sub and later add a jubilee datejust
Abarth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:26 PM   #56
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
I fully agree! It's sporty yet dressy at the same time, very versatile indeed! Otherwise the black dial DJ41 would be my second choice. The black Sub date is always a classic too, but maybe that's too big for you based on your comments. Ultimately you might get them all, so it goes...ha! Good luck in your decision. Cheers!
Thanks for that. Tomorrow I m off to Roma I may have the chance to try the sub and the explorer there and if m really lucky the 126710. Will post some pics.

The good thing is that they don’t know me yet not as the Geneva/bern/lausanne Rolex dealers that I’ve visited without buying probably too often now :-)

They prefer the Asian tourist that come here and within 10min leave with a brand new dj41 for 9.5k in a blink decision.
Old 25 October 2018, 06:50 AM   #57
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Thanks Rob happy that I’m not the only one who have been struggling to find out his precious :-) your advice is good, what did you men by « looked for trends of common threads » ? Have a good day

What I mean is, I take all the watch is that I’m interested in and I see what the similarities are in all of them. I ask myself, “is this a feature that draws me to them?“ in my case, the five digit submariner and explorer 2 have a similar case shape, dial layout, and hands. Yet, they are completely different watches. I love those features in each, which is why I own both. That’s what I mean.

Hopefully, I did not muddy it up. Sometimes, it’s hard for me to explain myself and my methods.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #58
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the good thing is that you are actually able to put your hands on some watches that you like...that's pretty sweet. you are a lucky man. buy them all.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 07:27 AM   #59
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Blue or black fluted with jubilee!
I second this.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 10:52 AM   #60
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
you will never be satisfied with one....try getting the one that feels best at this moment RIGHT NOW...then add later

personal vote, the datejust with black dial
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote