The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2018, 07:08 AM   #61
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

To each their own. Just based on our two collections, I think we are different type of collectors.

I very much put having a high end piece above having many pieces. If your collection were mine, I’d be consolidating down to 6-8 pieces and put funds from all the other watches towards a PM Rolex

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:08 AM   #62
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Good, than it must be a good change that you do not loose to much money .. i hope for you
sell everything except the 2 rolexes and buy only super quality pieces from now on… You need to up your game to loose that urge to buy constantly.. Fight against it and give urself 1 or 2 watches max every year. do yourself a pleasure. You clearly have the funds so don't be shy to spend a lot on 1 piece
Search into Breguet,Vacheron constatin,Ulysse Nardin,AP,PP,JLC..

Thanks
Old 22 October 2018, 07:26 AM   #63
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good, than it must be a good change that you do not loose to much money .. i hope for you
sell everything except the 2 rolexes and buy only super quality pieces from now on… You need to up your game to loose that urge to buy constantly.. Fight against it and give urself 1 or 2 watches max every year. do yourself a pleasure. You clearly have the funds so don't be shy to spend a lot on 1 piece
Search into Breguet,Vacheron constatin,Ulysse Nardin,AP,PP,JLC..

You know, honestly, I got the pieces that appealed to me. Both in looks AND SIZE

I’m 39 years old now. I’ve been OBSESSED with watches for almost 15 years... never really had funds until recently.

If I accept wearing 40mm, my collection would definitely change quite a bit.

There are FEW APs that appeal to me
Almost no Pateks get my attention
Bunch of A Lange and Glashutte Original appeal to me but almost all are 38-40mm which is lower than my comfort zone.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:31 AM   #64
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Current Collection... Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endotreated View Post
You know, honestly, I got the pieces that appealed to me. Both in looks AND SIZE

I’m 39 years old now. I’ve been OBSESSED with watches for almost 15 years... never really had funds until recently.

If I accept wearing 40mm, my collection would definitely change quite a bit.

There are FEW APs that appeal to me
Almost no Pateks get my attention
Bunch of A Lange and Glashutte Original appeal to me but almost all are 38-40mm which is lower than my comfort zone.

There are 37, 38, 40, and 42 - APs!

Okay we can skip Lange since there aren’t any sport models. But not a nautilus or an aquanaut?

It just takes some mental reframing to own the concept that having one watch that costs more than most peoples car. You earned your money you deserve to enjoy it and it’ll be passed down to hone kids.

I totally understand though - you can have 2 cool Sinns, an awesome tag Monaco, a Gshock and 4 other rolexes or just one nautilus.

Just wear one and you’ll probably still get the nautilus.

That being said I don’t have one yet but will be selling my pasha, Mille miglia, and my IWC perpetual da Vinci to someday get that elusive Patek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:38 AM   #65
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy7 View Post
There are 37, 38, 40, and 42 - APs!

Okay we can skip Lange since there aren’t any sport models. But not a nautilus or an aquanaut?

It just takes some mental reframing to own the concept that having one watch that costs more than most peoples car.

I totally understand though - you can have 2 cool Sinns, an awesome tag Monaco, a Gshock and 6 other pieces or a nautilus.

Just wear one and you’ll probably still get the nautilus.

That being said I don’t have one yet but will be selling my pasha, Mille miglia, and my IWC perpetual da Vinci to someday get that elusive Patek.

I tried a friend’s once. Didn’t sing. Didn’t talk. Didn’t even whisper to me lol

My current SMALLEST watch is 42.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:46 AM   #66
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Deepsea blue/black you can allready sell many pieces towards that one.. have you checked out Blancpain fifty fathoms ?
Btw.. i think that PP is fake seeing that poorly done band on the lugs? But i havent seen one in real and don't know about PP in general..
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:48 AM   #67
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Quote:

I tried a friend’s once. Didn’t sing. Didn’t talk. Didn’t even whisper to me lol

My current SMALLEST watch is 42.

Sorry I thought you said you had smaller watches.

Okay fair - the aquanaut on your wrist doesn’t look the best.

I think the higher end watches will are more value. You’ll find one that makes it all worth it if not your collection is awesome!

Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:07 AM   #68
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Deepsea blue/black you can allready sell many pieces towards that one.. have you checked out Blancpain fifty fathoms ?
Btw.. i think that PP is fake seeing that poorly done band on the lugs? But i havent seen one in real and don't know about PP in general..

I like the blue/black deep sea a lot. Have definitely considered it more than once and will eventually get one.

Yea I’m familiar with Fifty Fathoms / Bethyscaphe

100% authentic, 20+ year old Patek.
Old 22 October 2018, 12:27 PM   #69
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
You definitely need a 44MM ap roo
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:31 PM   #70
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
nice collection. If it was me i’d start to trade up and have less pieces but on a higher end
+1
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:58 PM   #71
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Great variety, not all choices I would think to make but when I see them I like the color choices a lot. Feels like you need one more heavy hitter - Tudor GMTs are great and not so pricey as Rolex - and they are available.
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:19 PM   #72
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12 View Post
You definitely need a 44MM ap roo
If I'm consolidating for a single heavy hitter, it's either a 44mm AP ROO or Cameron SDDS.
Old 22 October 2018, 03:51 PM   #73
peterpl
Banned

Quality over quantity. I'm almost certain all these watches dont get worn that frequently if at all. I used to have a similar amount and honestly I used to gravitate to only a select few.

I slimmed down my collection and it feels good. The hard part is actually listing them for sale or trading. Once its done it feels good.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:32 PM   #74
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
Someone interesting pieces in the collection but it's unmanageably large imho. Keep the sea-dweller and the Explorer 2, save any with sentimental value then sell the rest.
You like a large watch?
Sky-dweller.
That gives you a great air, land and sea collection. Then add a dress watch if required, done.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:27 PM   #75
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
personally, i would choose "quality over quantity" road.......i would sell a major of your mechanical watches collection (19 that I counted, a person can't wear that many watches) and consolidate into 5~7 watch collection

for example, 1~2 diving watches: one SD43 and one Sub hulk LVc, 1~2 gmt watches: one Explorer II and one Pepsi or BLNR, 1~2 chrono watches: one Daytona C and one Navitimer, one dress watch: a Patek/A Lange & Sohne/Jaeger LeCoultre/Rolex Cellini or Day-Date, one sports watch: AP Royal Oak or PP Nautilus.....something along this line, you pretty much have all grounds with big hitter pieces instead
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 01:49 AM   #76
BlackOnyx
"TRF" Member

IMHO you lack focus
BlackOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 05:22 AM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Like the variation you have, esp love that cobra yellow dial, but you have too many so I'd sell off maybe half or more. I'd actually add another Rolex or two, think you are short on them. AP is a natural sports progression, esp the ROOs for you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 05:23 AM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
If I'm consolidating for a single heavy hitter, it's either a 44mm AP ROO or Cameron SDDS.
Get both, as per my post above.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 07:50 AM   #79
DressWatchJones
Banned

Watch: Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt21 View Post
Great variety, not all choices I would think to make but when I see them I like the color choices a lot. Feels like you need one more heavy hitter - Tudor GMTs are great and not so pricey as Rolex - and they are available.

Tudor GMT a heavy hitter?? It's an imitation of a heavy hitter.
DressWatchJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 07:52 AM   #80
DressWatchJones
Banned

Watch: Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
personally, i would choose "quality over quantity" road.......i would sell a major of your mechanical watches collection (19 that I counted, a person can't wear that many watches) and consolidate into 5~7 watch collection

for example, 1~2 diving watches: one SD43 and one Sub hulk LVc, 1~2 gmt watches: one Explorer II and one Pepsi or BLNR, 1~2 chrono watches: one Daytona C and one Navitimer, one dress watch: a Patek/A Lange & Sohne/Jaeger LeCoultre/Rolex Cellini or Day-Date, one sports watch: AP Royal Oak or PP Nautilus.....something along this line, you pretty much have all grounds with big hitter pieces instead

Oh yes like have a collection like everybody else!....yawn. Why is there such little variety and individuality in watch collecting
DressWatchJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:14 AM   #81
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Current Collection... Feedback?
This won't be a 'nice collection!' response. Hopefully you're open minded enough to entertain opposing points of view.

What are you doing here? Buying watches because you can? Most, not all mind you but most collectors get as much from the hunt as acquiring the piece. From the looks of this you just went on a buying spree. Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong at all. But it looks like a haphazard buy it because you can collection. No focus. No direction.

No harm intended OP.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:15 AM   #82
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Its really busy.

Too much for me.

I’d pair it down to a special few. 6 or 7 max.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:20 AM   #83
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressWatchJones View Post
Oh yes like have a collection like everybody else!....yawn. Why is there such little variety and individuality in watch collecting

Lol you’re right. I see so many comments of lack of focus and many of the recommendations would make my collection identical to every collection I see on here.

I have stories behind my pieces. I have meaning of why I get specific pieces.

I have a lot of love and appreciation for watches.

And YES, I wear pretty much ALL my pieces. There are FEW I don’t wear.

These watches are very special to me and remind me of certain occasions or certain times in my life when I saw that watch on a certain person’a wrist and wished I could afford it.

If someone has 12 children, could you tell him/her that they lack focus? That they aren’t loving their children because there’s too many of them?
Old 23 October 2018, 08:37 AM   #84
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol you’re right. I see so many comments of lack of focus and many of the recommendations would make my collection identical to every collection I see on here.

I have stories behind my pieces. I have meaning of why I get specific pieces.

I have a lot of love and appreciation for watches.

And YES, I wear pretty much ALL my pieces. There are FEW I don’t wear.

These watches are very special to me and remind me of certain occasions or certain times in my life when I saw that watch on a certain person’a wrist and wished I could afford it.

If someone has 12 children, could you tell him/her that they lack focus? That they aren’t loving their children because there’s too many of them?
Assuming all this is in fact true, why are you seeking feedback?
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:38 AM   #85
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Nice collection and I love the Oris. If it were up to me I'd flip the Breitlings and Damaskos and pick up a Patek. 5167 to be specific.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:42 AM   #86
endotreated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Assuming all this is in fact true, why are you seeking feedback?

Why not?
Old 23 October 2018, 08:49 AM   #87
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressWatchJones View Post
The thing is that the watches everybody desires are sought after for a number of reasons on an objective level. Want is not the same as have. Many desire a number of classic watches, it doesn’t mean they actually have them.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:04 AM   #88
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why not?
The point being made earlier was simply if you know your own mind then why bother with feedback. Are you actually planning on taking the advice given on board?

By the sounds of it you’ve bought a number of watches too quickly and while you think you currently know your tastes in matters of horology, these thoughts I suspect will change and you’ll end up with many watches you don’t want and will struggle to shift.

The main point being made is a good one: have fewer but more iconic pieces. Some of the brands you’ve bought (in my opinion) make bland and derivative watches. To say that having a collection that resembles other people’s is missing the point.

And the children analogy doesn’t compare to building a watch collection. For, instance I could feel an attachment to a Michael Kors diver’s watch a relative gives me. On an objective level it is not on the same level as a Submariner.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your watches though and would also suggest you read about horological history. Doing so will help you make much more informed choices. Good luck in completing your collection.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:15 AM   #89
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
[QUOTE=endotreated;9028905]
I think I can already say, I rarely wear these pieces and need to move them on:

Well...That’s a good start.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:22 AM   #90
drcab
"TRF" Member

Keep SuperOcean .... Explorer and Planet ocean, SD43, IWC

Keep Omega Chrono if you want

Get rid of the rest.....................

Last edited by drcab; 23 October 2018 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: missed something
drcab is offline   Reply With Quote