The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2018, 06:21 PM   #1
michael.michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
SD43 replacing Sub black......opinion?

I am wearing my black sub as daily watch for almost 2 years now. A week ago, I have the chance to get the sd43 from my local ad. As they both have identical black dial, I am thinking to let go my black sub now. Wondering, if the sd43 able to easily replace the black sub and have no issue for daily use in terms of its size and weight compared to the sub. Thanks all!

michael.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Monkeybirdsupply
"TRF" Member

That sounds good, if you can get SD43 easily. The red words make SD43 a good investment for long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monkeybirdsupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:28 PM   #3
hhtwaijri
"TRF" Member

I had it, and sold it in 2 weeks.

Way too heavy for daily use. Too big too.

hhtwaijri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:28 PM   #4
chrissbull
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list.
I did this exact same thing only 1 month ago and love it. Just be aware than the dial itself is different to the Sub-C. It’s Matt black rather then gloss; allowing for the red writing to be more visible!

Either way my opinion is the same; do it! As you can always go back!

CB.

chrissbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It depends how big your wrist is. SubC is a better fit for me but I don't like them. Annoying that they lose the block case but make it too big for us slender wristed folk to wear!
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Ck1220k
"TRF" Member

Get it ����
Ck1220k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:37 PM   #7
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.michael View Post
I am wearing my black sub as daily watch for almost 2 years now. A week ago, I have the chance to get the sd43 from my local ad. As they both have identical black dial, I am thinking to let go my black sub now. Wondering, if the sd43 able to easily replace the black sub and have no issue for daily use in terms of its size and weight compared to the sub. Thanks all!

What is it you don't like about your Sub that is causing you to consider changing up, and what is it about the SD43 that you think will remedy that?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:46 PM   #8
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Both are great watches, but quite different to wear.
If the SD43 fits your wrist, it's a perfect allround watch for daily wear.
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:32 PM   #9
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
it depends on the size of your wrist........if SD43 fits great on you, go for it since both similarly are black colored watches
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:55 PM   #10
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

6.75 inch flat wrist here. My SD43 is my daily. If you have a flat wrist into which the caseback of the SD43 sits, as I do, and you are happy to wear it on the snug side, it is extremely comfortable with the wider bracelet.

As above, the dials are quite different depending on the lighting.

Lug to lug there is very little difference size wise. It wears thicker, of course and is appx 40 g heavier from memory.

The only thing you can do is try it on your wrist and see how it feels to you.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 08:22 PM   #11
Hramez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
If it fits your wrist ( & take off the divers link ) it is a great watch , much more superior then the sub

Hramez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:06 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the SD43 and a Submariner-C and they are both great. I pick depending on what I feel like. The Submariner, at 40mm, is the smallest watch I have in my collection as I own 3, 47 mm Panerai's. My wrist size is 7.5-7.75 depending on the weather and there is a place for each size watch. If it is a one and only I would probably sit tight until you can wear or at least try on the SD43.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:13 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The dial on the SD43 is quite a bit different than the SubC IMO. Maybe not at first glance, but the watch game is all about subtle nuances.

As for a daily wearer ... the SD43 wears larger and is heavier than the SubC. I find it to be quite noticeable.

I love wearing my SD43 on weekends or sporadically throughout the week but I can honestly say it’s not a daily wearer for me.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:16 PM   #14
leong
"TRF" Member

Are you used to wearing bigger than 40mm watches? If not, will you accept and be comfortable in wearing a bigger watch?
It's always good that you can try it in the store, BUT as the bracelet is not been sized to your wrist, sometimes you couldn't tell well if it wears comfortable enough on the wrist. I like bigger dial (not more than 45mm) and slightly heavier watches.
leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:00 PM   #15
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I did the same thing you’re thinking about.

Now wear my SD43 as my daily and couldn’t be happier. This is an incredible piece with perfect proportions, it also adds a bit of a special feeling wearing it compared to when I used to wear my Sub. To be honest, I like it better in every single regard. Best of luck in your decision.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:03 PM   #16
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
What’s the appeal of the SD over the sub if one is not using it for actual diving? The sub is very comfortable on the wrist, and the newer versions with the beefy lugs add plenty of wrist presence for those with larger wrists. Seems to me having a larger and heavier watch flopping around in the wrist may bring less comfort especially if you are like me and wear them no matter what you are doing.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:04 PM   #17
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Not a big deal to me but the dials aren’t identical. The SD43 is a mat dial that can sometimes look gray. I love it, but just mentioning it in case that plays a a part of your decision making.

I have a 7” wrist and if I could only have one of the two it’d be a 116610. That said, I think they’re both amazing and it really comes down to your wrist size and presence of watch size. Yes, the SD43 is a big watch but the proportions and balance are excellent (similar to the 116610). If I had a 7.25” wrist and up if probably choose the SD43.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:33 PM   #18
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
What’s the appeal of the SD over the sub if one is not using it for actual diving? The sub is very comfortable on the wrist, and the newer versions with the beefy lugs add plenty of wrist presence for those with larger wrists. Seems to me having a larger and heavier watch flopping around in the wrist may bring less comfort especially if you are like me and wear them no matter what you are doing.

Objectively, the proportions of the SD are considered by many to be better than the super case sub with its oversized (to many) lugs. The matte dial is quite different and changes with the light. New movement with longer PR, more shock and anti magnetic resistance. Lastly, the red line of text on the SD43 makes a bigger difference than you may imagine on first glance.

Subjectively, the Sea Dwellers I've owned just feel more special. And there are a lot less of them around. Plus the SD43 is an anniversary release.

No one really needs the depth rating of the Sub. And dive computers have succeeded mechanical dive watches generally.

Yes, the SD43 is larger and heavier. Worn "correctly" it is just as comfortable as my Sub C was. There's no flopping around

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:40 PM   #19
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
The Sd43 can be a great daily wear piece depending on your wrist size and comfort level with its weight. It took me a few days to get used to but than I was all in. It made my 40mm references feel small or underwhelming.

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:43 PM   #20
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Should be no issue with using the SD as your daily. Prefer it over the Sub too.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:46 PM   #21
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
I think it's the addition of the Cyclops, people just know it looks "right" and fall in love. It's a big thing, maybe too big for me but I wouldn't say NO!

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:52 PM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Do it. As long as you have the wrist for it, there isn’t a argument not to move up to a superior and more collectible alpha Rolex diver. The movement alone is worth the upgrade. There is a “badass” attitude with the SD50th. I laughed when I first reading this but after owning one, I understand and agree about it’s swagger.
It’s a very special watch.

Old 22 October 2018, 10:57 PM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It would be worth taking at look at the SD and to what you think.

I think the SD, when fitted correctly, would be fine as a daily. But that's entirely subjective, and you would have to make up your own mind.

I prefer the SD for the black on black look in my collection, and the subs for their dazzling sunburst dials.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:54 AM   #24
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I did this exact trade with cash and now proudly wear SD43 daily. Very happy I did. The dweller is definitely more rare and has more wrist presence.

7.5” wrists along with wider bracelet make it very comfortable. Spent last weekend boating and it never felt big or heavy to me.

Completely in love with the 50th anniversary SD!

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:58 AM   #25
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Just as an aside, a month ago I was in Beverly Hills with my wife (who wears a 116600 Sea Dweller), wearing my black SubC and I saw six people wearing the same exact watch. That’s good in that it is an amazing piece, but I have never seen a SD43 in the wild.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Do it
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:01 PM   #27
doubleclass
Banned

SD43 fits daily wear, so go for it.
doubleclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:26 PM   #28
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
I really liked its predecessor the SD4K.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:23 PM   #29
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

got both, prefer the sub for size and heft. wrist 6.5"
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:29 PM   #30
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Mine fits like a glove!! just depends on your wrist size, I love my SD43, everytime I look at the Sub I feel like it's wayyyyy too small for me and now my wife wears a 116610LN as her daily so I feel like it is def too small for me.

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote