The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Closed Thread

Old 20 September 2018, 02:57 AM   #1
emkwan
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710 BLNR
Icon6 I Took My Rolex Off For This...

Hi Guys!

So as some of you know, I managed to slip past security at the last Apple event and got hold of an early iPhone Xs AND... an (don't kill me ) an Apple Watch!

It's been a weird experience. I've had my BLNR sat in the drawer for the last week or so. Will I replace it forever? Hell NO but compared with the first generation that I tried and absolutely hated, the latest series 4 particularly in this gold colour with the gold milanese band is actually very nice. Apple have done well with the design. Would love to know your thoughts and I've got a detailed review up if anyone is interested.

The burning question is this: Am I a weirdo for wearing both my apple watch and BLNR on both wrists?

GOLD APPLE WATCH UNBOXING AND REVIEW

Last edited by emkwan; 20 September 2018 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: Missing link
Old 20 September 2018, 03:00 AM   #2
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Saw your video on you tube earlier. The Apple Watch is heading towards a necessity in people’s lives.
Old 20 September 2018, 03:03 AM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’m tempted by the tech of the new 4 but so far I’ve resisted.

I’m sticking to Rolex....still a tiny bit tempted though lol
Old 20 September 2018, 03:04 AM   #4
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 20 September 2018, 03:05 AM   #5
Intense5
"TRF" Member

Not at all! I do the same! My wife cracks jokes on me and I tell her the Daytona is 1000 times over more special than the iwatch. But I do use the iwatch on my dominant hand to check texts, calls, etc. the heart rate monitor sucks (they are not accurate) so I use the polar app and chest strap when I work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 September 2018, 03:05 AM   #6
emkwan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Saw your video on you tube earlier. The Apple Watch is heading towards a necessity in people’s lives.
hahahahaha thanks! Yes I'm seeing more and more people with them now.
Old 20 September 2018, 03:06 AM   #7
emkwan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post

The picture right?
Old 20 September 2018, 03:10 AM   #8
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I tried a smartwatch a little while back. They have a coolness factor, but that wears off pretty substantially after a bit of time, at least for me. I couldn't wait to get the gears back on my wrist.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 20 September 2018, 03:12 AM   #9
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried “double wristing” with my Apple Watch 2 and it looks really silly IMHO. I wear the Apple Watch when I exercise or take a long walk; I’ll occasionally wear the Apple Watch for a few days in a row, but it’s just not the same. Truth be told, I’m definitely buying the Apple Watch 4 and giving my Apple Watch 2 to my daughter. I’ll be curious to see if I wear it more as I’m very interested in the new health tech.
Old 20 September 2018, 03:29 AM   #10
emkwan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
I’ve tried “double wristing” with my Apple Watch 2 and it looks really silly IMHO. I wear the Apple Watch when I exercise or take a long walk; I’ll occasionally wear the Apple Watch for a few days in a row, but it’s just not the same. Truth be told, I’m definitely buying the Apple Watch 4 and giving my Apple Watch 2 to my daughter. I’ll be curious to see if I wear it more as I’m very interested in the new health tech.
Hmmmm wonder if I could pull it off with a smaller Apple Watch
Old 20 September 2018, 03:36 AM   #11
vritra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkwan View Post
The burning question is this: Am I a weirdo for wearing both my apple watch and BLNR on both wrists?
I don't think so - smart watches and quality mechanical watches aren't an either-or proposition.

The Apple Watch 4 is something you get for checking your heart rate, checking text messages surreptitiously in meetings when you can't pull out a phone, answering calls while running or when you otherwise have your hands full. I also ordered one for my mom for all of the same reasons and also because it has a fall detector and can notify us if she has an accident.

You most likely won't be looking at the Apple Watch 4 to appreciate its beauty, history and craftsmanship. You will not enjoy winding it or feeling it auto-winding, it will not be the spark of conversations with other watch lovers you're seated next to on business flights. You will not be passing it on to your kids. You might not even use the Apple Watch to check the time. The Apple Watch is a wearable computing device, and Moore's Law ensures that it will be obsolete within a couple of years. A fine watch is mechanical art, jewelry, and history - it's as close to timeless as you can get in the modern world.
Old 20 September 2018, 03:43 AM   #12
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkwan View Post
Hi Guys!

So as some of you know, I managed to slip past security at the last Apple event and got hold of an early iPhone Xs AND... an (don't kill me ) an Apple Watch!

It's been a weird experience. I've had my BLNR sat in the drawer for the last week or so. Will I replace it forever? Hell NO but compared with the first generation that I tried and absolutely hated, the latest series 4 particularly in this gold colour with the gold milanese band is actually very nice. Apple have done well with the design. Would love to know your thoughts and I've got a detailed review up if anyone is interested.

GOLD APPLE WATCH UNBOXING AND REVIEW

I think your apple watch will last month or so then you'll be back with Rolex.
Found this interesting article about new Apple watch:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1LT284
Old 20 September 2018, 03:45 AM   #13
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Saw your video on you tube earlier. The Apple Watch is heading towards a necessity in * people’s lives.
* some
Old 20 September 2018, 03:48 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i year ago i would have disagreed until i saw how my non WIS wife reacted to hers. She has great watches (Rolex, JLC, Cartier). Wants the functionality of the apple watch. Non WIS are the majority of watch buyers and they "need" an apple watch more than a Rolex. Hard for us in WIS land to understand, but its happening.

IMO the future of mechanical watches is way, way upmarket. Like AP/Rolex price level and Rolex is moving in that direction more than down market.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 September 2018, 04:00 AM   #15
Banks
"TRF" Member

Have you managed to get that Hulk yet?!
Old 20 September 2018, 04:13 AM   #16
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
For me, likely never for the following reasons: 1) simply has the same functions as my phone, 2) I use my time often as I am in healthcare and touching the screen to check the time sends a message I don’t want to send, 3) poor battery life-another devise to charge, 4) is disposable once a year with the new version, 5) increases checking behaviors and more attachment to technology rather than the real world, 6) excessively distracting, 7) lack of data on any ill effects of having a devise with cell connection on my body 24/7
Old 20 September 2018, 04:14 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
For me, likely never for the following reasons: 1) simply has the same functions as my phone, 2) I use my time often as I am in healthcare and touching the screen to check the time sends a message I don’t want to send, 3) poor battery life-another devise to charge, 4) is disposable once a year with the new version, 5) increases checking behaviors and more attachment to technology rather than the real world, 6) excessively distracting, 7) lack of data on any ill effects of having a devise with cell connection on my body 24/7
you are posting here, so the reason is you are a WIS, the rest is made up justifications
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 September 2018, 04:18 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post

My thoughts exactly
Old 20 September 2018, 04:19 AM   #19
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I was ready to go back to just a Rolex. Until I saw the Series 4. I have a full stainless steel on the way for my right wrist.

I admire the watch on my left wrist. The one on my right wrist might save my life, and certainly makes it more efficient and enjoyable.

Astonishing that they are #1 in their third or fourth year in the industry. Where will they be at 15 years? Astonished at the low prices.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:20 AM   #20
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

With the new apple ios 12 telling me that I pick my phone up 200+ times a day, the last thing I need is to be more connected! I might get one to work out with, but I could never wear one of these daily. I do think they are very comfortable though. Apple really did a nice job with the rubber strap.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:20 AM   #21
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
I don't know what to say to the OP. My contempt springs from my colleague who replaced his fake Daytona with an Apple watch.
Personally I'd rather double Rolex than wear an apple watch, I'd probably rather strap an actual apple to my other wrist.
If anyones up for it I have my pitchfork and/or flaming tourch ready.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:33 AM   #22
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Not in mine
My Note 8 does everything and I have no need for anything on my wrist other than 116618LB.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:39 AM   #23
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Tried to do the same thing. Couldn’t last a Day
Old 20 September 2018, 04:44 AM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I was ready to go back to just a Rolex. Until I saw the Series 4. I have a full stainless steel on the way for my right wrist.

I admire the watch on my left wrist. The one on my right wrist might save my life, and certainly makes it more efficient and enjoyable.

Astonishing that they are #1 in their third or fourth year in the industry. Where will they be at 15 years? Astonished at the low prices.
I just couldn't do it. I do get close with my FlexII but it looks more like a bracelet than wearable tech. It's a much better solution, imho.

As far as wearable tech watches are concerned the Apples look to nerdish and fragile. I much prefer the Garmin Fenix models. I almost stopped wearing my mechanical watches because of this one. It's a bit more rugged, imho, and does more than enough for me.

At any rate this will be moved to a back forum somewhere shortly.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 20 September 2018, 04:52 AM   #25
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I have an Apple Watch but it will never be essential for my day to day. Prefer a Fitbit on the spar wrist and a Rolex on the other!!
Old 20 September 2018, 04:52 AM   #26
doramas
Banned

I'm not interested in anything
Old 20 September 2018, 04:54 AM   #27
Uggi
Banned

Not for me. Two reasons:
1) I already have a phone and a laptop and a tablet which are almost always on my person and which perform these functions already, so I don't want or need another smaller "phone" on my wrist alerting me to emails and texts
2) it's Apple. After 10 years with Apple products I switched to Android and Windows last year and I am NEVER going back to the nonsense which is iOS.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:55 AM   #28
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
An Apple watch is fun, but ultimately, I prefer not to be that connected. I'd rather look at my wrist and appreciate the achievements of mechanical engineering, not software engineering.
Old 20 September 2018, 04:58 AM   #29
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I can't imagine why anyone's preference is to be *that* connected. Aside from the potential life save capabilities it's just another gadget. I don't know about all of you good folks, but I wanna go out like a damn man; sitting on the toilet.
Old 20 September 2018, 05:05 AM   #30
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

I sell technology to make a living. Like a successful dealer, I never consume my own merchandise. I'm also only too painfully aware of how much data we are providing for FREE to Apple and their partners. I'm not too particular fond of having my day to day activities being tracked for someone else's profit.

The analog watch, other than its beauty, can't be used to track my location, my heart rate, my communications, and hence can't be used for some sick-ass machine learning crap to make silent judgements about me, and sharing these judgements with other e-partners.

Guys n Gals, it's a bloody scary world out there in the digital jungle. That's all I will say for now.
Closed Thread

Tags
apple watch , apple watch series 4 , gold apple watch