The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2020, 03:05 AM   #31
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The last professional camera I bought was in 1967.

Rather than buy newer, later, bigger, better tech - I invested in learning, shooting, process, developing, printing and experience.
I think it's absolutely lovely, that you're not being at all, condescending about it though.

My first camera for professional use was an F2AS with MD2-MB1. An awesome piece of kit. Wish I'd kept it, just to look at, and handle from time to time.
F3HP-MD4 became my tool of choice in the 80's. Still got it. Never use it.
Still have my Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s. Wonderful, wonderful ens. Never use it.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 04:03 AM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I think it's absolutely lovely, that you're not being at all, condescending about it though.

My first camera for professional use was an F2AS with MD2-MB1. An awesome piece of kit. Wish I'd kept it, just to look at, and handle from time to time.

F3HP-MD4 became my tool of choice in the 80's. Still got it. Never use it.

Still have my Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s. Wonderful, wonderful ens. Never use it.

That is an amazing coincidence. I had the very same focal length telephoto lens (but the older f/4). I got as much for it as the camera body.

Thanks I don’t condescend any image methods. Heck a pinhole camera obscura produces results if one can compose.

Once I didn’t have a darkroom, the film support systems locally were virtually non-existent here. Even the good labs produced poorer results than I could. Not due to lack of equipment and skill - just the “hurry-up” and poor attention span.

So I signed up to teach darkroom at a local art college. Then I would staff the darkroom all weekend - those were epic 48 hour sessions making a grant project by deadline.

Now I see the next issue ahead for digital is printing technology is lagging behind Moore’s Law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 05:58 AM   #33
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Hey Paul, just pulling your leg.

Sounds like you had a similar 'if you can't find the quality, do it yourself, journey to me. I DO miss the hours of quiet solitude spent creating 'masterpieces', in the darkroom.
Old 19 May 2020, 07:32 AM   #34
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Abe’s of Maine has the D6 in stock this morning for $6,396.
Thanks just got up over here and seen your post..WOW Wonder how long thats going to last..? Surely unable to get until I get back home but they are shipping them. I have heard about this place but never went to the website like I just did.. Thanks again..
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:36 AM   #35
BreguetRolex
Banned

my first camera

5607EE70-F13B-45DD-AEAB-0CD321AF497E_1_105_c.jpeg

F2AC7AA5-0FD0-44AD-BF35-C66206CC94DD_1_105_c.jpeg

833C6344-C1DD-4D42-926C-8A3B7BD95E5D_1_105_c.jpeg

0BD73C10-3E12-4DAC-8B48-E7BEF445FF7C_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 19 May 2020, 07:56 AM   #36
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Thanks just got up over here and seen your post..WOW Wonder how long thats going to last..? Surely unable to get until I get back home but they are shipping them. I have heard about this place but never went to the website like I just did.. Thanks again..
I’ve purchased items from Abe’s of Maine. They are a reliable, well-established company. I’ve been pleased with their prices, shipping speed and customer service.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 08:00 AM   #37
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
I’ve purchased items from Abe’s of Maine. They are a reliable, well-established company. I’ve been pleased with their prices, shipping speed and customer service.
I was just on the site again and noticed that the new Nikon D6 does not come with a Nikon USA Warranty Card. So I looked at all the nikon goodies and all appear not being with a Factory nikon warranty card possibly..? I have the Nikon 800MM F/5.6 and paid 16,200 for it and never ever seen it for a penny less until i seen one on there site for almost a 1000.00 cheaper and i got a shock. Hmmmm
Old 19 May 2020, 08:50 AM   #38
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
I was just on the site again and noticed that the new Nikon D6 does not come with a Nikon USA Warranty Card. So I looked at all the nikon goodies and all appear not being with a Factory nikon warranty card possibly..? I have the Nikon 800MM F/5.6 and paid 16,200 for it and never ever seen it for a penny less until i seen one on there site for almost a 1000.00 cheaper and i got a shock. Hmmmm
The lens is more than likely, an imported version which doesn't carry the US warranty. So basically, gray market which is a lens that was intended for another region/country.
Here is what Nikon says about gray market.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-st...ay-market.page
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 08:57 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

B&H used to carry equipment that were both US and non US versions and the non were always a bit cheaper. It was always all spelled out.

I've bought both. Never had any warranty issues with either so it didn't matter.

But it is a consideration.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 08:59 AM   #40
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
The lens is more than likely, an imported version which doesn't carry the US warranty. So basically, gray market which is a lens that was intended for another region/country.
Here is what Nikon says about gray market.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-st...ay-market.page
Yes thats the term for it . B&H use to offer both versions of a camera body or lens but don't think they do any more. I was wondering how a US Dealer had already obtained a D6 to sell. I am sure its exactly same just with no USA Nikon Warranty Card.
Old 19 May 2020, 09:00 AM   #41
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
B&H used to carry equipment that were both US and non US versions and the non were always a bit cheaper. It was always all spelled out.

I've bought both. Never had any warranty issues with either so it didn't matter.

But it is a consideration.

HAH We were both typing same thing at same time.. Yes I agree about no issues..
Old 19 May 2020, 09:36 AM   #42
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The last professional camera I bought was in 1967.

Rather than buy newer, later, bigger, better tech - I invested in learning, shooting, process, developing, printing and experience.

I don’t disregard the excellent images today’s digital image processors provide. Just never went in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Awesome machine...!
Old 19 May 2020, 06:17 PM   #43
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Neat camera, the Nikon F. I smile at Paul Simon’s anachronistic song, Kodachrome.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:43 PM   #44
BreguetRolex
Banned

Both the Canon F1 as well as the Nikon F1 were the state of the art back in the day and how have things changed... How did both end up with F1's..? interesting..
Old 19 May 2020, 08:27 PM   #45
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both the Canon F1 as well as the Nikon F1 were the state of the art back in the day and how have things changed... How did both end up with F1's..? interesting..
Nikon F.
Canon F1.

Nikon D1. World's First Practical DSLR
Old 19 May 2020, 08:46 PM   #46
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Nikon F.
Canon F1.

Nikon D1. World's First Practical DSLR
I bought that Canon F1 in 1973 at Marine Corp Airstation El Toro, California while Was attached to VMFA321 F4 Squadron 3rd Marine Airwing... I still have it with all the boxes, papers, warranty, sales receipt, owners manual and paid also for the SERVO EE Finder on top plus a motor wind, and battery pack and the canon lens. Took me quite sometime to save up the money to buy it then.
Old 19 May 2020, 09:12 PM   #47
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought that Canon F1 in 1973 at Marine Corp Airstation El Toro, California while Was attached to VMFA321 F4 Squadron 3rd Marine Airwing... I still have it with all the boxes, papers, warranty, sales receipt, owners manual and paid also for the SERVO EE Finder on top plus a motor wind, and battery pack and the canon lens. Took me quite sometime to save up the money to buy it then.
Lovely stuff!

All my old Nikon (Film) gear sadly, sits unused these days. Very expensive, back in the day, but, it paid it's way, and, like yours, I suspect, could tell a few stories of 'derring-do'!

All this old equipment, could be museum exhibits...if only Japan hadn't made millions of 'em!
Old 19 May 2020, 09:21 PM   #48
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Lovely stuff!

All my old Nikon (Film) gear sadly, sits unused these days. Very expensive, back in the day, but, it paid it's way, and, like yours, I suspect, could tell a few stories of 'derring-do'!

All this old equipment, could be museum exhibits...if only Japan hadn't made millions of 'em!
Mine is still like new and when the kids blow it out in a garage sale after I kick then it will be gone as I have no intention to sell it or any of the way to many others I have collected over the years.. I made no money with any of it but from early years, I been a gadget man and just loved kewl stuff even if i could not afford it like now..:)
Old 19 May 2020, 10:24 PM   #49
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lovely stuff!

I had a Nikon FE2, lenses and accessories accumulated over the years. It was obvious to me that I would never go back to film, and I cringed seeing that once-$1,500 motor drives sold for $50 on eBay, so I donated it all to the media department at a local college. They use it in photography classes.
Old 19 May 2020, 11:26 PM   #50
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I had a Canon F1 back in the day as well. Once I went to Hasselblad in 1976 I never really used 35mm again except for if I needed slides for something.

I think my first digital was a Nikon but it didn't stick since I didn't trust the archival quality of the prints then.

(I had to go back and look at the metadata to see what Nikon I had and it was a D200)

By the time archival quality was ok, and I decided to convert to digital, I went back to Canon (can't exactly remember why) and bought a 5D, somewhere around 2007.

And that was the end of Hasselblad and darkrooms.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 08:06 AM   #51
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I had a Canon F1 back in the day as well. Once I went to Hasselblad in 1976 I never really used 35mm again except for if I needed slides for something.

I think my first digital was a Nikon but it didn't stick since I didn't trust the archival quality of the prints then.

(I had to go back and look at the metadata to see what Nikon I had and it was a D200)

By the time archival quality was ok, and I decided to convert to digital, I went back to Canon (can't exactly remember why) and bought a 5D, somewhere around 2007.

And that was the end of Hasselblad and darkrooms.
My very first digital camera was the Canon 5D then I bought from B&H a Canon 1DS Body and the 50mm 1.2 Lens. Never used the 1DS however the 5D still is used the most of anything I use...I only have 2 canon lenses now the 50mm 1.2 and the 400mm F/4 DO..

9A25F8A2-3D72-40A5-8FCE-557690C6D25F_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 26 May 2020, 08:37 PM   #52
BreguetRolex
Banned

Ok I see Abes of Maine has a new Nikon D6 available but unfortunately it is not with 5 Year USA Warranty and do not really want to risk buying new technology without at least the proper service and warranty from Nikon. If anyone here is on awaiting list or know of one forsake that they are not interested in ,please let me know where I can snag me one.

I also was able to find a brand new release Nikkor 120-300MM F/2.8 Lens FLED with built in teleconverter forsake. What I am gathering is this lens at the moment will not to be a very hot seller due to the economic situation presently...
Old 26 May 2020, 10:30 PM   #53
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok I see Abes of Maine has a new Nikon D6 available but unfortunately it is not with 5 Year USA Warranty and do not really want to risk buying new technology without at least the proper service and warranty from Nikon.
That’s certainly reasonable. I’ve bought imported Nikon lenses in the past, thinking that the chances of a lens needing replacement or repair is pretty low, but I’ve had several bodies in the repair shop over the years.
Old 27 May 2020, 12:28 AM   #54
Trog
Banned

Boy do I feel old...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45SU_3.jpg (94.2 KB, 114 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 09:10 AM   #55
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
That’s certainly reasonable. I’ve bought imported Nikon lenses in the past, thinking that the chances of a lens needing replacement or repair is pretty low, but I’ve had several bodies in the repair shop over the years.
I am more then willing to take a gamble on a lens too, but on this new body for only several hundred dollars I will wait till one surfaces forsake with USA 5 year warranty.

Finally getting to come back home to states this weekend after 225 days here..! Needing a "TOY FIX"..! :)
Old 27 May 2020, 06:38 PM   #56
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Boy do I feel old...

State of the art for sure..!
Old 2 June 2020, 05:55 PM   #57
BreguetRolex
Banned

Anyone yet get there new Nikon D6 and 120-300mm F/2.8 Zoom..? I am sure on the lookout for the D6 and ready to buy one..
Old 3 June 2020, 12:07 AM   #58
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Be sure to post photo of the box.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 12:53 AM   #59
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Be sure to post photo of the box.

Well thats pretty much a given if i can snag me one for sure.. Part of the fun is in the box.. Rooms full of boxes here..!

79035EBB-34DC-4E2B-B9C7-DCE77D427E13_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 3 June 2020, 08:39 AM   #60
BreguetRolex
Banned

38994AA6-ABFA-4B95-92B5-7F1AD575CD84.jpeg

67C01582-85F4-4672-ACC8-9CE900656FEF.jpegPair of D5's now in search in a pair of D6's..!..:)