The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2020, 02:30 AM   #151
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclinerTimer View Post
I don't a wear a Rolex to "show" my knowledge of watches as a "status symbol" lol. That is silly. I wear a Rolex because my knowledge of watches has lead me to the watch by giving me insight into the craftsmanship required to build and work the watch, as well as the history of the brand and specific model on the wrist. This is laughable.

Don’t other brands have such ‘craftsmanship’ and could you not have ‘insight’ on those too, but still you choose a Rolex. Why is that?
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:35 AM   #152
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I appreciate the OP’s honesty.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 04:17 AM   #153
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
so you can't roll up your sleeves if you're wearing a rolex without showing off?

this place sometimes lol

Haha. I agree. I usually wear cardigans to work and I pull the sleeve up every day when I put the sweater on. Not to show off, but because it’s a lot easier to look at the time when I don’t have to yank my sleeve up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:08 AM   #154
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Can’t see this going anything but well for the op! Haha
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 07:33 AM   #155
larrygeog
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos Blac
I roll up my sleeve so the world can see what am wearing, I like it when people compliment me for what I wear, I love it and I also do same to others when I see a lovely watch or what so ever they put on. I guess we all love it when we are being noticed for our outfit
larrygeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 07:40 AM   #156
cowboyjack
"TRF" Member

Hhhhhmmmm... I don't really care if other people like my watch or notice my watch. I just like my Rolex because it is such a beautiful timepiece.
cowboyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 07:52 AM   #157
Paul7
Banned

Really, is it any different than wearing nice clothes? Unlike clothes, a Rolex is often an appreciating asset.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 09:50 AM   #158
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Really, is it any different than wearing nice clothes? Unlike clothes, a Rolex is often an appreciating asset.
Watches are not investments and do not appreciate in value.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:41 AM   #159
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Come again?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 11:39 AM   #160
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texex View Post
I had an orthopedic surgeon ask me how things are going at work during a pre surgery appointment. I said OK, he then pointed at my BLNR and said "must be better than ok". He then showed me his Bluesy. Very odd interaction but whatever, he fixed my elbow. One other strange interaction with him. He walked into the surgery room pre-op, this was a sterile environment (i assume) and he was all masked and gloved up as you would expect. The strange thing was that he had his Bluesy tied to his scrubs drawstring on his pants, just hanging there. I'm fairly sure that thing was a germ factory. Very strange look for an OR.

That's fairly common the watch/scrubs are under the gown that he'll be wearing while operating.

Several people actually scrub (aggressive hand washing) with the watch on, then tie it to the draw strings or put it in the scrub pant pockets to give it a quick clean before the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 11:40 AM   #161
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Come again?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Here we go...
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 11:42 AM   #162
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
You're buying the wrong watches. The OP specifically refers to Rolex, which as I said often appreciate. That is fact.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:03 PM   #163
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I think the answer to that is it depends. If the person truly has a interest in watches then is a positive feeling becuase they can understand the hobby and don't think you brought it to show off.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:21 PM   #164
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoffice View Post
We are all like you
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
In over 30 years, I’ve only had one person notice one of my watches and comment on it. He was a prisoner brought to the ER from a jail, and he knew watches and jewelry very well. Actually had a nice conversation while I sewed him up.
None of my patients noticed my Rolex's, nor other watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
Many here are not like that at all.
There are sufficient reasons to like Rolex watches without this element, which put me off from the brand for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
Most Rolex owners do not buy a Rolex for the appreciation of the Horology, the history, the craftsmanship or Engineering. They buy it because for the crown logo on their wrist. I have a few friends who have beautiful datejusts and have no idea what movement is in their watch. I have a friend who bought a 40mm daydate and asked me how often he should change the battery. Most people buy a Rolex to show they have "made it" and feel like they belong to the success club.
Sadly, many people I know with Rolex's are like this.
It's only about the crown.
I avoided Rolex's for a long time because of this.
Declined one as a gift for graduating from med school because of this.

All wearing a Rolex does in this manner is show off you spent a bunch of money on a watch. Why not just wear a bank statement on your chest?
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:23 PM   #165
Jamhot
"TRF" Member

I do not brag. There is no need. People will make their own judgements regardless of what you say or do. The passion for this hobby should be for your own benefit.
Jamhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:10 PM   #166
docmaster1
"TRF" Member

I think in the beginning I purchased my DateJust (my only Rolex thus far) because I wanted to hit that benchmark of “making it”. I saw Rolex watches in movies and advertising, most famously Glengarry Glen Ross! And I wanted to own a Rolex for those reasons. So when I was able to afford one I bought brand new as I wanted to go through “the process“ through an AD.

With that being said AFTER I purchased the watch I begin to really “explore” my watch and the details of other Rolex watches. i then really came to appreciate the watch for its quality and craftsmanship.

In regards to people noticing my watch. I actually had many people notice it over the course of 4 years or so. And it’s just a plain Jane date just. Most recently I was buying my wife an anniversary present last weekend at LV in Edina and the guy tried to sell me a LV watch and mentioned during his pitch “some people stay loyal to brands, for example Rolex which by the way is a beautiful watch...” now I understood that probably doesn’t count as a “real” compliment but he noticed none the less. Also I do get tons of people looking at my watch and making comments.

On the flip side I was at a business dinner meeting with an owner of a textile fabric mill and his son who was starting to take over the business, and I am pretty sure the son had on a platinum Daytona. I mentioned Half way through the dinner that I liked his Daytona and he looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. I then said “your watch, I like your watch” and he kind of said “oh yeah, yeah yeah”. I asked a few follow up questions (And I am no expert or anything) and it was clear he has no clue what I was talking about. So this guy literally has almost a $100,000 watch on and didn’t even recognize the name of the watch when it was mentioned.

Dave C

docmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:54 AM   #167
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post

None of my patients noticed my Rolex's, nor other watches.
I think we also need to realize that some people will notice a watch but not say anything. My Doctor wears the new blue Omega seamaster and I want to say nice watch! But I don't because I feel like it'll be awkward.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:00 AM   #168
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
I think we also need to realize that some people will notice a watch but not say anything. My Doctor wears the new blue Omega seamaster and I want to say nice watch! But I don't because I feel like it'll be awkward.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Curious why? I complement people on watches all the time, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. If they are wearing a nice watch, I will complement them. It always ends up with a pleasant small talk - at the very least a smile and a thank you. A couple times turned into a fun conversation about watches. Most humans love to be notices and enjoy a complement, so why not extend one. But that's me.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:07 AM   #169
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Curious why? I complement people on watches all the time, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. If they are wearing a nice watch, I will complement them. It always ends up with a pleasant small talk - at the very least a smile and a thank you. A couple times turned into a fun conversation about watches. Most humans love to be notices and enjoy a complement, so why not extend one. But that's me.
Very well done.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 12:33 AM   #170
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I just like wearing a piece of good bombproof kit. It also doubles as a gold digger detector, because no one else really ever seems to notice.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 12:43 AM   #171
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
Most Rolex owners do not buy a Rolex for the appreciation of the Horology, the history, the craftsmanship or Engineering. They buy it because for the crown logo on their wrist. I have a few friends who have beautiful datejusts and have no idea what movement is in their watch. I have a friend who bought a 40mm daydate and asked me how often he should change the battery. Most people buy a Rolex to show they have "made it" and feel like they belong to the success club.
This. Which is why it's getting harder and harder for me to keep them in my watch case. I wear my Explorer a fair bit these days but the now-gaudy giant-bezel watches have killed the mystique for me, if there ever was any.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 01:26 AM   #172
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

In the almost 7 years I wore my TT sub C it attracted much more attention then my Platona. That being said I bought and wear my watches for me and I have never gone out of my way to hide them nor do I emphasize them.
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 02:11 AM   #173
G.Montag
Banned

I totally believe everyone who says that status had nothing to do with their purchase of a Rolex. Just like I would believe a housewife saying that she wanted a big rock on her finger purely out of appreciation for gemology...
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 02:26 AM   #174
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
I totally believe everyone who says that status had nothing to do with their purchase of a Rolex. Just like I would believe a housewife saying that she wanted a big rock on her finger purely out of appreciation for gemology...
Two prejudices don't make you right.

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 02:29 AM   #175
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For those trying to fly under the radar, Platinum is the thing. For those trying to be noticed Yellow Gold is the thing. For those trying to belong, Stainless is the thing. Ultimately most don't have any idea or concern for what's on your wrist.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 02:33 AM   #176
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Totally don't care what anyone thinks of my watches, they are for me and no one else. Same with cars. I have always been shy of driving my best car a 911 convertible for anything other than Porsche club events and drives. I know one guy, hes a likable character, has lots of dough, wears outlandish and expensive watches and drives ridiculous supercars. When my wife and I go out to dinner with he and his wife, I wear Casio and my wife wears Timex...No need to impress anyone with what you are wearing. Just try to enjoy the quality of well made things...
Old 31 May 2020, 02:45 AM   #177
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:

My wife wanted a ring that was bigger than her friends. She made it no secret to me. I at least admire her honesty.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 03:11 AM   #178
jankymutt
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post

This!

When I’ve seen a submariner, Seamaster, or Panerai the people have been really friendly and fun, But the times I’ve noticed and mentioned a daydate or Patak the dudes have been completely cold. Maybe they weren’t really into horology and just wanted an expensive watch? Perhaps I’m intimidating or just need to stick with the tool watch crowd!

Old 31 May 2020, 04:41 AM   #179
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
My wife wanted a ring that was bigger than her friends. She made it no secret to me. I at least admire her honesty.

Sometimes bigger isn't better...just bigger, especially with diamonds the worst way to spend your money.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 05:04 AM   #180
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Do any women ever pretend that size doesn't matter ..with regards to diamonds?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external validation , survey