The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 June 2008, 08:52 PM   #31
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill View Post
Just about every day, few times a day, I get a customer in who looks at watches, as they go through my cases of Rolex and come up to first case of Breitling, I hear this question: "How does Breitling compare to Rolex?"

Well, it doesn't. Its like comparing a Bentely Azure to a Ferrari F430. The watches have different backgrounds, different history, different style. Rolex is classic, original, one of the 3 companies in the world(besides Patek and Jaeger, correct me if im wrong) who still makes the watch completely in-house from movement to bracelet. Rolex is responsible for first wrist watch as well as frist water-proof watch. The styles really tend to NOT change with Rolex. Until recently, Rolex has had moderately sized at 34, 36, 39, and 40mm cases(for men). I really don't think I need to tell you the epic models Rolex has been making for years and years.

With Breitling, it is one of the few brands in the world that puts EVERY watch they make through COSC certification, the ONLY company in the world to do it with quartz watches. These watches are timepiece instruments. Their style is VERY different from that of Rolex. The only model that comes even remotely close to be able to compare is a Cockpit vs DateJust. Cockpit is bigger, but was actually designed specifically to compete with Rolex Datejust. It is a very simple, beautiful watch. All others, you just CAN'T compare. They also do have their historic landmarks. The Navitimer for example, the oldest chrono wrist watch in the world. It has been made practically in the same style since the 1950's. The Chrono-Matic was one of the very first, if not THE first, automatic chronographs when it was released in 1960's.

Both of these brands are incredible imo, but I just honestly cannot say one is better than the other. It is all personal preference as to which style is like by whom.

As far as someone's comment about Breitling being sold EVERYWHERE. I will have to disagree and say that Breitling is even more exclusive that Rolex. There are a lot more Rolex AD's out there than Breitling.
I actually agree with most facts in this post. (I usually stay out of Rolex VS Brand threads)

Look... I'm going to get FLAMED for this... But Rolexes are a dime a dozen. They make almost a million watches a year! More than Omega and Breitling combined!
For every Breitling that I spot, I probably see hundreds of Rolexes.
Is Rolex a great watch? Yes. It is. And it will outlive any of us.

And what's wrong with malls?
In USA, most uber-expensive dealers are in the mall.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2008, 11:33 PM   #32
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
MOst all the ADs, whether Rolex or other high end brands are located at ADs or Boutiques in Malls in Asia. Rolex is a status symbol these days, where Breitlings are tools.

I like the Navitimer World, for example, Chronograph and date feature, GMT dual time function, slide rule bezel, and world time zones engraved on the back. That is a tool!

You want a great 2 watch combo? Get a Breitling Navitimer and then get an Omega Dive watch.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2008, 09:45 AM   #33
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Own them both. Just different. B makes some very attractive models. My friend just got a chrono from his wife for his birthday. Very attractive dial and wonderful bracelet. Have been playing with it a bit and rate results thus far have been excellent.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2009, 12:02 PM   #34
bankerII
"TRF" Member

I own both and they are both great.
bankerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2009, 07:25 PM   #35
USP45Tim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570T
+1. They have their own respective uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerII View Post
USP45Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2009, 11:34 AM   #36
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by krlyuzh View Post
Well, it doesn't. Its like comparing a Bentely Azure to a Ferrari F430. The watches have different backgrounds, different history, different style. Rolex is classic, original, one of the 3 companies in the world(besides Patek and Jaeger, correct me if im wrong) who still makes the watch completely in-house from movement to bracelet. Rolex is responsible for first wrist watch as well as frist water-proof watch.

Actually the first wrist watch was by Patek Philippe on 1868.

Also, Patek's 5070 chrono is a Lemania base, so technically they dont "make" everything, even though they put a unique finish on it and upgrade the escapement and put a cap on the column wheel. VC does similair but less extensive mods to the same base in some of their chronos.

It is my understanding that these also make all of their own: Seiko, Glashutte Original, FP Journe, Lange & Sohne, Favre Leuba.

I am not a Breitling fan simply for stylistic reasons, so it would not really be constructive for me to comment, I just wanted to clarify the dates and movement info.
iwantagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2009, 03:37 PM   #37
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
I actually agree with most facts in this post. (I usually stay out of Rolex VS Brand threads)

Look... I'm going to get FLAMED for this... But Rolexes are a dime a dozen. They make almost a million watches a year! More than Omega and Breitling combined!
For every Breitling that I spot, I probably see hundreds of Rolexes.
Is Rolex a great watch? Yes. It is. And it will outlive any of us.

And what's wrong with malls?
In USA, most uber-expensive dealers are in the mall.
Haha! Funny you should mention "Rolexes are a dime a dozen."

Growing up, I went through a bunch of Tag's, then when the time came that I was about to "upgrade" to a more high-end watch, I settled on the Sub.

When I told my watch dealer my choice, he then said "That watch is a dime a dozen." And he then showed me a watch from a brand I've never even heard of - Breguet Type XX and I was blown away cause it just looked so trick with the titanium case, graphite face. I've never seen anything like it and decided to get it instead of the Sub.

Years later, when I wanted to get a diver's watch to upgrade from my Omega SMP quartz mid-size, I again, looked at the Sub, but upon doing so, another watch, the Superocean, caught my eye. It just looked so robust and it also had a deeper rating, at 5000ft compared to the Sub plus it cost 1/4 the price of the Sub.

So, that's twice I decided to go against the Sub. Good thing too, since next to the DJ, I'm seeing Subs/SD's all over the place and hardly ever see anyone else with a Superocean, and never see anyone with a Type XX.
Old 24 June 2009, 06:51 PM   #38
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
I love Breitling and I love Rolex. The problem, however, is when I have worn a Breitling, I look at my wrist and wonder if I should be wearing something else.

When I wear a Rolex, I never question my choice.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2009, 06:45 PM   #39
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
And he then showed me a watch from a brand I've never even heard of - Breguet Type XX and I was blown away cause it just looked so trick with the titanium case, graphite face.
EDIT: The XX has a carbon-fiber face, not graphite.

What happened to the edit option?
Old 27 June 2009, 01:19 AM   #40
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Rolex and Omega never did this for me!....

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=84983

Enjoyed reading and learning a thing or two. For the record, I own and love both. You cannot go wrong with either. My ....:
  • Well, see the above link...Breitling really does treat it's customers to some nice gestures of gratitude...Never had anything like that from Rolex or Omega....even when times were good!
  • Breitling is the OLDER company between the 2
  • Breitling has a deeper history of involvement with aviation (Navitimer, Chronographs, Cosmonaute, etc...)and assertively pursues promotion and advertising to build upon that image. Rolex only has 2 models (GMT and AirKing) that really have any aviation heritage associated with them...
  • Breitling does frequently change/update their models, often dramatically with the exception of the Navitimer series...whereas Rolex takes a much more conservative and slower approach to redesigns or changes
  • Overall, I believe Breitling makes the most handsome cases/bracelets out there, but the new GMT IIc is a homerun!

Enjoying the discussion!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2009, 02:22 PM   #41
rodo
"TRF" Member

I find rolex to be above breitling. I also find breitling to be much more bang for your buck. The build quality and value is hard to beat. Rolex has a lot of tradition and name behind it.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2009, 01:53 AM   #42
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
I wish Breitling appealed to me, because I know they make excellent watches. Other than some of the vintage Navitimers, I just don't find any that call to me. Someday perhaps...
Old 6 July 2009, 12:23 AM   #43
brainbizz

I am no watch expert but Rolex just seem to be better quality. I was looking to add one B to my collection but when i picked it up it just did not feel right for me. Don t get me wrong I liked it but it just felt off and the bracelet just looked not as solid. I also was going to buy the Omega Alaska Project but after picking that up I was shocked. I will not comment on that one. I hate to say it but both brands are built for the masses and are not exclusive but if you buy what you like it will not matter.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 02:25 PM   #44
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Just to add my 2 as well.....I have both brands in my collection as well!!! They are apples and Oranges though(as stated in an earlier post)....Both Rolex and Breitling do have very long history and are both very stand up companies!!
That being said,Rolex to me seems alot better in quality than Breitling but you sure pay for that....Rolex is ,and will always be my fav,but breitling is well worth the money if your in that mood and like the style!! Personal preference is the key!! To sum this up,You CANT compare....
Here is my collection containing both brands...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collection.jpg (55.8 KB, 924 views)

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 06:35 PM   #45
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
This is a conterversial thread that would lead to nothing..both are reputable brands and each has its followers/lovers...but at the end of the day no matter what is the perception, we have to agree that both are very respectable!
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 12:45 PM   #46
Ecam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM240
i agree.......

in the aviation industrie, breitlings are the watch we would dream of. the rolex just has that status quo in the general community.

both are great watches, especially the ones with gmt (for rolex)

i wear a breitling to work. and my pam for my casual watch.

ive been wanting the explorer II, but i see a lot of people wearing them. it has become a common watch to see. now im thinking of the gmt 2. lets see.......

just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
i would have to respectfully disagree. breitling is a aviation inspired watch and are very big in that circle of life. i live on/am part owner of a private airport and work for boeing on commercial/private jets all day, breitling has completely restored, owns and operates the only flying super connie lockheed C-121C super constellation (L-1049F) left in the world and has the only privately owned jet aerial demonstration team in the world. i don't even know one single person that owns an omega. there are no malls where i live that sell breitling what ever that means, i bought my rolex gmt2c in woodland hills mall at reed's jewelers. i can buy a omega at sam's wholesale but i have to go to moody's jewelers to get a breitling. when you enter into the world of aviation breitling has more history and heritage than any other watchmaker that i am aware of.

enjoy,

super connie,

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

it's time to kick the tires and light the fires, turn and burn baby,

http://www.dailymotion.com/el-torro-...t-team_extreme
Ecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 02:18 PM   #47
blackmsport
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerII View Post
Likewise... Breitling a sportier and stronger built (I think)
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 02:20 PM   #48
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Rolex all the way! Buy the GMT!

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2009, 03:27 AM   #49
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
Likewise... Breitling a sportier and stronger built (I think)
I like a lot of Breitling models (and even owned a few)...but not sure I would be so bold as to state they are "stronger built". How one truly measures that statement is beyond me not to mention numerous Rolex models come to mind that would happily step up to that Breitling challenge (and probably win).

Both great products IMO, but the sandbox statement of, "My dad can beat up your dad" is probably pretty pointless when doing a watch comparison of these two brands. I believe you can never go wrong if you buy what you love & love what you buy & forget about finding a 'winner' when comparing two different watch brands!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2009, 03:42 AM   #50
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I own Rolex, Breitling and Omega. In my opinion that is the way they go as far as quality. But like opinions there are several out there, thats why we all don't drive Chevy's
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2009, 01:06 AM   #51
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
breitling make a great watch - i think highly of the product. however, i don't care for their designs - and that's a huge part of liking a watch. overall i prefer the rolex aesthetic.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2009, 01:52 AM   #52
Blueoctopus007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Prestige, status, classic style, pedigree, quality, history, etc, etc = Rolex
Blueoctopus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2009, 12:44 PM   #53
Brentomatic

Watch: Deepsea
I own three Breitlings and a Rolex Submariner. My thought is this:

"Breitling is good, however Rolex is great."
Brentomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2009, 02:21 PM   #54
blackmsport
Banned

I have Breitling, Rolex, Omega... Breitling is heavy but nice, Rolex is classic like a Lexus you simply can't go wrong.... only problem... Rolex ... many think you have a fake one and that annoys me
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2009, 11:15 PM   #55
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
I have had Rolex's and Breitlings. I think the build quality on Breitling is second to none (fit, finish and sturdyness of bracelets etc.) as far as that goes. Now whether you like their designs is another matter. I will point out that Rolex has no excuse for still selling the Iconic Sub no date with that cheesy non SEL braclet for the price they command. Of the Subs/Dwellers ( I have a D series Dweller) I love the symmetry of the sub no date dial. But I will not buy it with that bracelet and Rolex has no excuse for not upgrading it. Breilting, Omega both make better bracelets. However, I will concede, the latest generation of Rolex braclets are very nice. Why did it takes so long? Same question with the COSC rating on the Sub No date.

As for the bling comments, I guess I don't see how Rolex with the newest bracelets is any more or less blingy than the Breitlings. There, I feel much better now that this rant is through.

PS Breitling does offer non polished watches, the Avenger Seawolf, Colt II quartz, Blackbird non polished version, Skyracer and Airwolf Ravens come on rubber straps totally tool, Emergency, Aerospace - Ti, Avenger Seawolf Chrono. So there is a variety if bling is not your thing.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 12:23 PM   #56
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Breitling actually tests every movement they make, not just a sampling of them. I find them #3, with Rolex being #2 and Panerai being #1.
Curious chronology you have there. How would Panerai earn the top spot out of the three? They may be more rare, more expensive, but do not seem to have the history achievement/associations of Rolex and Omega. Do they?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 12:16 AM   #57
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Personally, I think aesthetics is too much of a personal thing to be argued either way. Same thing for saying a particular brand is better mainly because it's more popular.

However, I do think it's perfectly ok to compare similar product lines. For example:

Breitling SuperOcean vs. Sub Date or Breitling __________ vs. Daytona etc...
Old 5 October 2009, 11:03 AM   #58
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
I like both brands. I especially like and will get the now decommissioned B1 Superquartz. Its got the alarm, the dual time zones, SuperQd movmt. And its dead nuts accurate. I think its a mark above the GMTc. If only ROLEX could build a watch like this, man, whata world it culd b !

Thanks,
Randy

STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 12:13 PM   #59
Lol-x
Facilitator

Randy those B1 Chronometers are getting difficult to find as production ceased in 2006.

I agree this is my favorite Breitling too.

I am getting mine from a guy in Sweden.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 01:30 PM   #60
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Randy those B1 Chronometers are getting difficult to find as production ceased in 2006.

I agree this is my favorite Breitling too.

I am getting mine from a guy in Sweden.
there's one on EBay, its gotta gray dial though.
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote