The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 August 2016, 12:15 AM   #61
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520Matt View Post
Wow some serious good coffee info here. My wife and I brew every day. This is our set up, OXO coffee machine and the grinder is Braun and seems to work well, but I'm no expert. We buy beans at Trader Joes. After reading this thread I will have to try some other beans. i started drinking coffee for the caffeine and have grown to really enjoy it. My wife says the OXO is a fairly decent machine anyone know it?
You could use an upgrade on the grinder front. One can spend thousands on a grinder, though those are usually for espresso or bulk grinding. From what I've read, Baratza grinders seem to be a good bang for your buck for non-espresso grinding, the sweet spot being the Virtuoso. It's all about controlling particle size and uniformity, and that's where a nice grinder excels.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 12:19 AM   #62
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
You could use an upgrade on the grinder front. One can spend thousands on a grinder, though those are usually for espresso or bulk grinding. From what I've read, Baratza grinders seem to be a good bang for your buck for non-espresso grinding, the sweet spot being the Virtuoso. It's all about controlling particle size and uniformity, and that's where a nice grinder excels.
After reading this I need an upgrade too
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 01:05 AM   #63
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I've had a Virtuoso for a couple of years. It is the best mill I've ever owned. It's easy to adjust the grind, easy to clean, and pretty durable. It even has a mechanical timer
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 02:45 AM   #64
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
TRF ~ Coffee Lovers Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I was looking at the Moccamaster KBTS 741 online yesterday. It looks cool and I'm a sucker for coffee gadgetry, but is it worth ten times more money than a Mr. Coffee?
The Moccamaster is worth the money IMHO. As I mentioned we really experimented and bought/sold/gave away a lot of different coffee related paraphernalia and landed with this set-up. I have not looked for anything recently so I am not sure what "new technology" is out there. I hope this thread helps us all find out...

PS: A new bag of beans to try this weekend! Might be the last pre-roasted bag we buy if I can figure out how to roast my own green beans to an awesome cup of Joe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080784.JPG (171.4 KB, 352 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 07:06 AM   #65
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I don't like anything to get between the freshly ground beans and my cup i.e. filters. Flavor gets lost. If you're looking at an upgrade look at equipment that brews your coffee by pressing hot water through compressed fresh grounds directly into your cup. It will evenly extract the flavor from all the grounds. Drip process will never do this. You will then get the full flavour of you coffee selection.

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 02:53 PM   #66
BNA/LION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
I don't like anything to get between the freshly ground beans and my cup i.e. filters. Flavor gets lost. If you're looking at an upgrade look at equipment that brews your coffee by pressing hot water through compressed fresh grounds directly into your cup. It will evenly extract the flavor from all the grounds. Drip process will never do this. You will then get the full flavour of you coffee selection.
I am just getting into the roasting game. I Luv a French Press and I am starting something new roasting my own green beans. I believe I will Master the Art of Roasting and look forward to sharing the journey ...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 25 August 2016, 04:04 PM   #67
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Living in Australia there’s an abundance of boutique roasters around major cities.
There are four I usually go to, but Twin Peaks coffee definitely gets points for consistency and weirdly flexibility in technique

In regards to beans they are almost always African beans in origin (usually Kenya or Ethiopian but I had an awesome Burundi a few weeks back). With the exception of Hacienda La Esmeralda from Panama it’s just way too difficult to find the fruity acidic flavour profile I’m after. Same thing in regards to roasts, if the beans are visually too dark you’ve probably killed any subtleties or fruit notes in them.

Technique is normally Chemex pourover and a modified Sunbeam conical burr grinder.
Water is poured to taste and the “Golden ratio” that people love to harp on about in regards to pourovers should not be used. Beans are all different and it should be done to taste (especially your own personal one)
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 05:19 PM   #68
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Hi Demo, over the years I have found that a single origin I consistently return to is Costa Rican Tarrazu. It originates from the 5th Province in the Canton of San Hose in Costa Rica.
It is often available from good roasters in Australia and I find it one of the most flavoursome, consistent, and bullet-proof beans with which to work.
Unlike yourself, I cannot tolerate New-Wave light roasts and so like my beans medium-dark as it is the cocoa and chocolate flavours that I want to predominate in my cup.
Nevertheless, if you haven't tried this variety, you might like to give it a run.
Couple of suppliers:
http://www.camposcoffee.com/coffee-o...rrazu-shb.aspx
https://www.melbacoffee.com.au/costa-rica-dota

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 09:59 AM   #69
Brenngun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
I am just getting into the roasting game. I Luv a French Press and I am starting something new roasting my own green beans. I believe I will Master the Art of Roasting and look forward to sharing the journey ...
Just stick with it Larry. You won't figure it all out for a while but once you get there you're going to love the results. Love to hear about it as you go. I also luv using a French press. It's a nice bit of flare at the end of a dinner with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Hi Demo, over the years I have found that a single origin I consistently return to is Costa Rican Tarrazu. It originates from the 5th Province in the Canton of San Hose in Costa Rica.
It is often available from good roasters in Australia and I find it one of the most flavoursome, consistent, and bullet-proof beans with which to work.
Unlike yourself, I cannot tolerate New-Wave light roasts and so like my beans medium-dark as it is the cocoa and chocolate flavours that I want to predominate in my cup.
Nevertheless, if you haven't tried this variety, you might like to give it a run.
Couple of suppliers:
Rocky, Never tried this one but I looked it up on my green bean suppliers list. He's got them and I'm going to order some up to roast. Based on your comments I'll try a nice dark city roast get there slowly with a gentle temperature ramp. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 26 August 2016, 02:36 PM   #70
BNA/LION

Let the Game Begin! Ready to roast this weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080884.JPG (217.1 KB, 322 views)

Old 26 August 2016, 04:42 PM   #71
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Couple of suppliers:
Haha I like that we are after completely separate flavours from our coffee's.
I actually have a darker roast that I've just put into my grinder so thats probably why my above post sounded overly critical of them

I'll order the Tarrazu to give it a try.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 07:43 PM   #72
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Have fun!!! Can't wait for you to share results.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 05:35 AM   #73
Brenngun

Quote:
Let the Game Begin! Ready to roast this weekend!
Yippeee !!!! Your going to need a pad of paper, pencil and your Daytona.

Old 29 August 2016, 04:28 AM   #74
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Argh. My Bunn ThermoFresh that we have used for years to produce quantities over a couple cups went cold this morning after I de-limed it. Just will not hear the water in the tank.

I have looked at a lot of the machines that people in this thread are using and some are $500+ up to well over $1200.

If I did not want to pour that much into a coffee machine does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced new machine? Of utmost importance is ease of use for my wife. She will not tolerate a machine that takes a Phd in astrophysics to operate.

The replacement for the Bunn will be $150. I don't mind going over that a little bit but don't want to go crazy. As evident by my previous post we are not overly sophisticated coffee drinkers. Maybe a direct replacement or a pour over is best for our situation as we also have an instant hit water dispenser in our kitchen that we use with the French press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 05:07 AM   #75
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
The Oxo i posted earlier was about $200. Very easy to use.
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 05:24 AM   #76
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520Matt View Post
The Oxo i posted earlier was about $200. Very easy to use.

Thank you. Will check it out. Found a couple others with the Google that I need to vet. I will add this one to the list.

Old 25 September 2016, 02:23 PM   #77
Grahamcombat
"TRF" Member

Camano Island Coffee Company's Brazilian Dark Roast is my fave. I get whole bean and grind my own, running through a Magnifica.

They've got a great coffee club; I've lived on the east coast, the west coast, and in the middle and had it shipped out regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Grahamcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2016, 07:21 PM   #78
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
I can't post pictures due to what's on the bag, and I hope I'm allowed to use the name as it is a company, but BLACK RIFLE COFFEE.

Unbelievable. I'm drinking "caffeinated as f***" and Thin Blue Line Edition.

The coffee supports veterans, injured law enforcement officers etc.

I'm really not a coffee fan, but I think they lace it with cocaine, because I'm hooked.

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 02:45 AM   #79
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relyt View Post
I can't post pictures due to what's on the bag, and I hope I'm allowed to use the name as it is a company, but BLACK RIFLE COFFEE.

Unbelievable. I'm drinking "caffeinated as f***" and Thin Blue Line Edition.

The coffee supports veterans, injured law enforcement officers etc.

I'm really not a coffee fan, but I think they lace it with cocaine, because I'm hooked.

Damn good stuff there. And a great cause.

Old 4 December 2016, 04:20 AM   #80
BNA/LION

Icon14 TRF ~ Coffee Lovers Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I was looking at the Moccamaster KBTS 741 online yesterday. It looks cool and I'm a sucker for coffee gadgetry, but is it worth ten times more money than a Mr. Coffee?
YES! We love the Moccamaster!

Quote:
Yippeee !!!! Your going to need a pad of paper, pencil and your Daytona.
Yep! Recording stats to roast the best beans to our liking! Still waiting for "The Call" on the Daytona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Have fun!!! Can't wait for you to share results.
I finally roasted my first beans this morning!
Went with Paupua New Guinea AA Arokara, Wet processed beans Medium and Roasted them Medium. Will try them tomorrow AM!

Chad... Thanks for the encouragement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100176.jpg (85.3 KB, 237 views)

Old 4 December 2016, 04:45 AM   #81
BNA/LION

How the Professionals roast! Took these pictures at La Costa Coffee Roasting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_141058747_HDR.jpg (75.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_141107247_HDR.jpg (80.3 KB, 291 views)

Old 4 December 2016, 08:32 AM   #82
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
YES! We love the Moccamaster!

Yep! Recording stats to roast the best beans to our liking! Still waiting for "The Call" on the Daytona!

I finally roasted my first beans this morning!
Went with Paupua New Guinea AA Arokara, Wet processed beans Medium and Roasted them Medium. Will try them tomorrow AM!

Chad... Thanks for the encouragement!
Can't wait!!! I just roasted another batch this morning.
Old 6 March 2017, 02:34 PM   #83
BNA/LION

Quote:
Can't wait!!! I just roasted another batch this morning.
Turns Out I'm Better At Buying, Making & Drinking Coffee.

Chad- It is good to know you are an excellent roasted! I roasted 1 of the 2 bags I bought... Thanks for the encouragement, I'll try again sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100415.jpg (61.5 KB, 239 views)

Old 7 March 2017, 04:34 AM   #84
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:

Chad- It is good to know you are an excellent roasted! I roasted 1 of the 2 bags I bought... Thanks for the encouragement, I'll try again sometime.
The trick is ramping up the temperature properly so you get an even roasting. Nothing but trial and error. Each heating source (ie hot plate, stove, etc.) will be different. Don't give up. Fresh roasted coffee is well worth the work.
Old 7 March 2017, 01:11 PM   #85
Brenngun

Quote:

Quote:
The trick is ramping up the temperature properly so you get an even roasting. Nothing but trial and error. Each heating source (ie hot plate, stove, etc.) will be different. Don't give up. Fresh roasted coffee is well worth the work.
I wondered how you were making out Larry. I have to agree with Chad. Don't give up on the roasting process. Think of it as a scientific experiment. It's important to plan and record your roast profiles. This will get you to where you want to be. 100% of my profiles follow an 80/20 rule (80% of the time is spent at the low end of the temperature scale, 20% at the higher temps near the end of the roast). This will give you a more even roasting result without drying out all the flavourful resident oils in the bean.

Old 7 March 2017, 01:43 PM   #86
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Nespresso users:

I just bought some of their new vintage 2014 capsules and I am pretty impressed. Definitely buy a few sleeves if you get the chance.

Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 02:34 PM   #87
BNA/LION

Quote:
I wondered how you were making out Larry. I have to agree with Chad. Don't give up on the roasting process. Think of it as a scientific experiment. It's important to plan and record your roast profiles. This will get you to where you want to be. 100% of my profiles follow an 80/20 rule (80% of the time is spent at the low end of the temperature scale, 20% at the higher temps near the end of the roast). This will give you a more even roasting result without drying out all the flavourful resident oils in the bean.
Thanks Rick! I am not going to give up just yet. Just got to get into it and really commit to the to the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100418.jpg (48.9 KB, 206 views)

Old 11 March 2017, 02:03 AM   #88
dc0402
"TRF" Member

Home roasting is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
You can have the best beans in the world, but if they're not processed correctly, the final product will not be good.

The problem with the big companies like Starbucks and Coffee Bean (I will say that Coffee Bean is much better than Starbucks) is that they overroast their beans and they roast in really large quantities, resulting in poor QC. Many of the beans that you buy from Starbucks, Coffee Bean, etc... were roasted months ago. Beans are their best within 2 weeks of roasting.
I roast my own beans at home. Wesley is right. Beans roasted within two weeks are the best. Good coffee shops will sell beans with the roasting date on it. Blue Bottle is now offering a service where they will ship you beans that have been roasted one or two days before shipping but it's super-expensive.

www.sweetmarias.com is the best site for coffee nerds. You can get tips on how you can start roasting at home plus you can buy green beans from them directly.

Your coffee will never be the same.
dc0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2017, 10:33 PM   #89
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I tend to agree with the "two-week" rule myself. It is not always a problem if the bean is a bit older but I always worry about how it has been treated since roast.
Some cafes just roast it, bag it, and leave it on the shelf where it is subject to the fluctuations in temperature that occur over a 24 hour period. When you open the bag the bean has a slightly oily appearance that indicates that it is not going to be at it's best in your grinder or Espresso machine.
I generally ship mine up from Melbourne (about 2000 klms) which takes a few days, and it still arrives in better condition than bean that has been sitting on someone's cafe shelf for a fortnight.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 10:22 AM   #90
BNA/LION

An old favorite around this house...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100463.jpg (67.0 KB, 175 views)

Tags
kona