The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 08:45 AM   #31
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Ever since I watched Glengarry Glenross I've been rolling up my sleeve to people exclaiming that my watch cost more than their car. Often adding that my collection cost more than their house. That's who I am pal.
"EFF YOU. That's my name! You know why, Mister? Because you drove a Hyundai to get here. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name! And your name is your wanting."

-Glengarry Glen Ross
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:57 AM   #32
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
It's something I considered when I first got my 1603 (I almost picked up a 126200) but I wouldn't give it a second thought now. Most people just read it as a nice watch rather than something overly flashy, but I'd wonder whether that'd be different with a polished, new watch with PCLs as opposed to a dinged up vintage.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:59 AM   #33
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

Why is the 4th girl wearing it backwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:00 AM   #34
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I do NOT brag or show off. And I detest people who do so, especially gratuitously in non appropriate venues, or should I say inappropriate forums.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:11 AM   #35
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
In over 30 years, I’ve only had one person notice one of my watches and comment on it. He was a prisoner brought to the ER from a jail, and he knew watches and jewelry very well. Actually had a nice conversation while I sewed him up.
I like this post. It is fun to talk about watches once in a while with someone that is knowledgeable. In this case, maybe for nefarious reasons, but still interesting. When you are talking, you benefit little. When you listen you may learn. All of us are brand conscious in some respects. There will always be someone who knows more or less about horology, about Rolex, about vintage vs new, and about movements. Be kind, be nice, and talk less, listen more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:22 AM   #36
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex of all brands carries a lot of stigma baggage. Some people buy them to look like they have money. Others buy them because they have money. There are a lot of fine and better watches without the social baggage. In the end who cares what anyones motives are? Social judging has become a sport for many.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:25 AM   #37
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I imagine some people first were drawn to Rolex for what they considered to be classic styling, rather than something trendy. I'm not sure there are only two possible scenarios:

1) They wear a Rolex for the love of heurology

2) They wear a Rolex to show off their wealth

I think there are many reasons that we each were drawn to Rolex, and for lots of us, it has changed over time. Believe it or not, I didn't even know about TRF for the first 30 or so years I wore a Rolex. And I certainly didn't know the "roll up your sleeves to show off your watch" trick either.
Old 25 May 2020, 09:29 AM   #38
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Only once had someone notice and comment on my watch, meeting up with our old neighbours in a little country pub the landlord just come up to me and said "nice Rolex", to be honest I felt quite uncomfortable.

While I'm in no doubt many Rolex owners do it for the image, personally I don't do it to show off wealth, I don't have any, I wear it for myself and my own enjoyment.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:32 AM   #39
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Depends on who notices. I really enjoy it when other watch guys notice because it usually results in a good conversation. Other than that, I don’t like attention.

Some people of means have attached their self-esteem to what they own and they feel the need to show it.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:41 AM   #40
calebb90
Banned

I rarely have them noticed. When I do it’s usually by other watch guys which makes for fun conversations.

I have coats and shoes that cost more than a Rolex but those are noticed even less. Maybe I’m doing this wrong?

calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:45 AM   #41
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Collectors usually have a love hate relationship with Rolex brand

Beginners/amateur who started to get expose to bigger brands like VC JLC patek would think that Rolex is just all about the crown

And seasoned veteran (watch industry people that works 15 years or more) all come to appreciate rolex as a robust and reliable (fuss free) mechanical timepiece

So which category does the thread starter belongs to? Obvious ain’t it
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:46 AM   #42
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
so you can't roll up your sleeves if you're wearing a rolex without showing off?

this place sometimes lol
Lol....I guess it's the same philosophy of a fat guy can take his shirt off and walk down the boardwalk but the guy that works out and does it is showing off.

There is nothing positive to come from the instigating OP's post. I'm shocked this thread is staying civil.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:53 AM   #43
SoixanteSecondes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 115200
Actually it may sound weird, but it kinda makes me uncomfortable when someone notices I'm wearing a Rolex because people may see this as me wanting to show off that I have a lot of money, which is not the case and this is part of why I chose a model that's not blingy and showy. I chose to buy a Rolex because of its history and built quality.
SoixanteSecondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:03 AM   #44
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
I don't wear my Rolex, or any other watch for that matter, for anyone but myself.

I really don't care what other people think one way or the other. If they want to strike up a conversation about horology then I'm more than ready to converse as long as I see them as being real.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:05 AM   #45
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date

AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:06 AM   #46
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I am fortunate to have been taught not to care what others think of me from a young age

+1

The watch does NOT make the man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:07 AM   #47
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Old 25 May 2020, 10:13 AM   #48
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
I like this post. It is fun to talk about watches once in a while with someone that is knowledgeable. In this case, maybe for nefarious reasons, but still interesting. When you are talking, you benefit little. When you listen you may learn. All of us are brand conscious in some respects. There will always be someone who knows more or less about horology, about Rolex, about vintage vs new, and about movements. Be kind, be nice, and talk less, listen more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:22 AM   #49
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
You really don't like to brag?

So, for me and me only. I’m not wealthy, not remotely wealthy. No fancy car no fancy house. Have a job and by the grace of god still currently have my job. I have always loved watches probably not to the fanatical stance of some on here. I had a child young and have had some young but still failed marriages. I have always wanted a Breitling watch and never thought I’d ever have the cash for one. So I worked hard saved money for a down payment on my home and paid off all debt. I finally had the 4-5k for that breitling. So I researched and researched, that brought me to Omega and Tudor and Patek and Rolex. I fell in love with the GMT and the Sub and told my self if I can save 5k cash then I can save 10k, so that’s what I did. So I put my name on the list for both the GMT and Sub, which ever came first and the sub date 116610LN came in a week later and I bought it. Long long story short I bought a Rolex because I wanted the best watch I could afford and I know Rolex has a long history of being a tough built watch most say like a tank and yes of course they have giant name recognition. So I’d be lying if I didn’t think some may see my Rolex and think wow, but at same time I know 99.9 percent of people don’t care and I have had exactly zero people comment on my watch and I’ve owned it just shy of 1 year it’ll be a year next week. My joy comes from knowing what it is, what the history is and how very hard I’ve worked to finally own a watch worth a darn! :) I hope one day to add the GMT, and maybe an omega and Tudor and heck why limit myself maybe one a Patek too!!

AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:24 AM   #50
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
Yes, I am going to deny it

I don't think I'm a typical Rolex owner. However, to each his own. Whatever makes the owner feel happy.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:40 AM   #51
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
it's a great post, in a way. yes because it's provocative and that can be a good thing. no, because it's on a rolex forum.
but hey, i'm pretty much an "i don't give a shit" kind of person. work too hard for anything less.
anyone who says they don't care about the Rolex brand are the perfect example of billion dollar market research. it's the subconscious level they are targeting. rolex has done some cool things, but have never been on the forefront of horology.
there are a ton of brands that make better watches for less.
that being said, i proudly own a couple rollies, and do brag/share, with friends that are in to watches, about my watch adventures. i already know the total overwhelming majority of people don't even look at your watch, let alone know about it

great examples, imho, of people who don't care so much about what people think, are people who buy platinum and white gold. they can look like ss but are actually stealth wealth.

ultimately, it's a pretty subjective topic. you could argue points in either direction.
-you buy a brand because it makes you feel good (yet you conceal it from the public) - you buy a brand because you feel good about the way the public perceives you - you buy a brand because you have your own reasons to love that brand, etc etc
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:45 AM   #52
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Rolex would agree with you. Just look at the so called upgrades. Ceramics and giant lugs are really to increase wrist presence and little more. There was no reason to increase the lug size other than to attract attention. They sacrificed a higher failure rate for less scuffs and scratches. Rolex knows it’s clients well.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:47 AM   #53
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
This past weekend I was walking downtown and went into two stores that were open and both SA's that were helping me saw my White Daytona and complimented 'nice watch'. I thanked them and one SA started a conversation stating he has been waiting for one for 2 years and asked how long I waited etc. Mentioned to him, 3 years and to hang in there. Was a pleasant conversation and I left, he stated he would call me to advise the item I was looking for was in.

Sometimes it does bring good vibes/conversations but other times doesn't bother me. If they see it they do, if not then no biggie. But I don't purposely make it a point to show off what I'm wearing.
As in sales associates? If so, I think I like you.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:52 AM   #54
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV_36 View Post
So, for me and me only. I’m not wealthy, not remotely wealthy. No fancy car no fancy house. Have a job and by the grace of god still currently have my job. I have always loved watches probably not to the fanatical stance of some on here. I had a child young and have had some young but still failed marriages. I have always wanted a Breitling watch and never thought I’d ever have the cash for one. So I worked hard saved money for a down payment on my home and paid off all debt. I finally had the 4-5k for that breitling. So I researched and researched, that brought me to Omega and Tudor and Patek and Rolex. I fell in love with the GMT and the Sub and told my self if I can save 5k cash then I can save 10k, so that’s what I did. So I put my name on the list for both the GMT and Sub, which ever came first and the sub date 116610LN came in a week later and I bought it. Long long story short I bought a Rolex because I wanted the best watch I could afford and I know Rolex has a long history of being a tough built watch most say like a tank and yes of course they have giant name recognition. So I’d be lying if I didn’t think some may see my Rolex and think wow, but at same time I know 99.9 percent of people don’t care and I have had exactly zero people comment on my watch and I’ve owned it just shy of 1 year it’ll be a year next week. My joy comes from knowing what it is, what the history is and how very hard I’ve worked to finally own a watch worth a darn! :) I hope one day to add the GMT, and maybe an omega and Tudor and heck why limit myself maybe one a Patek too!!

i'd say major props for the work put in. but also, there was a reason you bought the rollie over the breitling, and that is brand recognition.
patek would sort of negate that though. but again, touche, i would have done the exact same
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:57 AM   #55
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I wear my GMT Master BLRO only for me. If anyone notices and wants to talk watches, great. If not, that's ok too. I. Don't. Care. If somebody thinks I'm flaunting it or showing off, I. Don't. Care. I wear my Casio G-Shock the same way. These days I'm mostly wearing t-shirts so the whole thing about rolling up my sleeves is moot.
Old 25 May 2020, 11:01 AM   #56
stylinleems
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
As in sales associates? If so, I think I like you.
stylinleems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:39 AM   #57
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
If someone noticed my Rolex I would be uncomfortable, unless it became obvious that they were a collector. If someone noticed my El Primero I would be excited because I would know that I was getting ready to have an interesting conversation about watches.
I collect Rolex watches despite this because they are good watches.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #58
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

All the time.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:49 AM   #59
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve never thought about it before .. I need some muscle shirts
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:09 PM   #60
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I pin little arrows on my sleeve pointing out my Rolex.....
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external validation , survey