The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2020, 12:28 PM   #1
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Anyone watching 30 for 30 on Lance?

I’m loving it so far! Not to mention he’s wearing a panda Daytona.
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I have met the guy on several occasions. Hard pass.
Old 25 May 2020, 01:04 PM   #3
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Not interested!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Anyone watching 30 for 30 on Lance?

Haha tough crowd! Question, if he didn’t go so hard after his detractors (ie ruin their lives) would he be viewed more like A Rod? I mean the guy did raise hundreds of millions for cancer research... just a question
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:54 PM   #5
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Armstrong has been convicted being one of the most reckless and nastiest cheaters in his sports and all sports.

I have problems feeling anything positive for the man

Detractors? They finally came clear and obviously everything of what they said was true.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:18 PM   #6
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Haha tough crowd! Question, if he didn’t go so hard after his detractors (ie ruin their lives) would he be viewed more like A Rod? I mean the guy did raise hundreds of millions for cancer research... just a question
For the record, Livestrong wasn't about raising money for research. Their mission was helping cancer patients navigate the process of receiving treatment. Good work, but not research.
Old 25 May 2020, 03:47 PM   #7
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Long before I was a pro MTB'er, I met Armstrong after he became world champion, but before he'd won a Tour. The guy has always been a prick. That being said, he didn't invent drug use in cycling. Undisputedly, we all know he wasn't the only one doing it. I can tell you first hand of syringes in porta-potties at the amateur level...for a purse of $100. As to the lives he supposedly ruined, I know a handful of those guys too. Those guys were in the cheating business, and they got outcheated. They get no sympathy from me when they run and tell, then draw their fellow cheater's ire. I'm not defending Armstrong, by any stretch, but all of these guys coming out of the woodwork because all of a sudden they care about the integrity of the sport...give me a break.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 04:36 PM   #8
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ftg.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:55 PM   #9
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
He got caught.
That's the only difference between him and any other pro athlete.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:01 PM   #10
walds11
"TRF" Member

I’m definitely going to watch the reply or on Xfinity stream.

BTW, IBTL...
Old 25 May 2020, 10:32 PM   #11
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Not interested.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:24 PM   #12
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I watched the first episode. I’ll have to see how I feel when it’s done. What may change my mind is does he seem “sorry” or “sorry he got caught.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:38 AM   #13
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I watched the first episode. I’ll have to see how I feel when it’s done. What may change my mind is does he seem “sorry” or “sorry he got caught.”

Don't hold your breath. The guy is a scumbag and always will be.

I could even forgive him for his cheating if he showed remorse, but the way he threw people under the bus at the drop of a hat is what is inexcusable for me.

A few years ago, there were reports that he tried to get his girlfriend at the time to take the fall for a potential drunk driving incident in Aspen. Same behavior even years after his downfall from sports.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:28 AM   #14
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
He got caught.
That's the only difference between him and any other pro athlete.

No the big difference between him and all others is that he‘s made the most cash out of it compared to everbody else because he pushed doping onto a totally new level.

Everybody knew that cycling was very problematic in terms of doping, but what Armstrong did ruined cycling entirely for me.
Old 26 May 2020, 01:35 AM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
People say he was a cheater. Yes, in a sport filled with them. Its inhuman to spend 30 straigt days on a bike, with each day 100+ miles at like 2o MPH average. Let me remind the reader the reader that he was stripped of his title, and was given to a rider who the year before also tested positive himself.. In the 70's merxx and the rest routinely use amphetamines. If he was clean, he was the best in the game. If he was not, he was the best in the game. Coming back from cancer, of the lungs/brain sorry folks, Still a massive accomplishment. Its like saying well Arnold cheated and used steroids in the Mr. Olympia contests, sure, he and everyone else.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:39 AM   #16
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
No the big difference between him and all others is that he‘s made the most cash out of it compared to everbody else because he pushed doping onto a totally new level.

Everybody knew that cycling was very problematic in terms of doping, but what Armstrong did ruined cycling entirely for me.
I suppose if you got into cycling because of Lance Armstrong, then he surely let you down, as he did millions of Americans. I was a cyclist before The Lance Armstrong hero worship took hold, so I love it as much as I ever did. What he did do, quantifiably, was exponentially grow the sport here in the US.
Old 26 May 2020, 01:55 AM   #17
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

No, I was into cycling much earlier, Thurau, Hinault, Thevenet.

Armstrong established a mafia-like system like nobody else did before.

I have no problem to say, that if everybody would have been clean, Armstrong would have been the best - no doubt.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:14 AM   #18
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I watched it last night.

Like many of us, I had much respect for Armstrong's accomplishments in the Tour, but at this point, I simply can't unknow what I know. EPO was the coin of the realm back then and I understand that and that's not what turns me so off to the guy. It's that he's such a sociopath. Even watching those films of him as a teenager, it just oozed off him. It's all me, me, me and what can you do for me? On a sincerity scale, I'd put him one notch below Eddie Haskell, and of course Eddie wasn't real.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:16 AM   #19
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Some people naturally benefit more from EPO than others. Amongst other factors, having a relatively lower haematocrit (volume of red blood cells as a proportion of the total volume of blood) would enable an EPO doper to gain more of an advantage versus an athlete with a higher baseline figure. Armstrong had a comparatively low haematocrit so the trope that is often trotted out (not least by the man himself) that he would’ve won against a clean field is very suspect. The trope that the whole peloton doped so his guilt is diminished is also suspect. Even if there was only one clean athlete in the entire field, that dude got cheated out of his livelihood. Christophe Bassons, for example.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:27 AM   #20
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

And Jens Voigt
Old 26 May 2020, 02:38 AM   #21
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
And Jens Voigt
I’d contest that. Very, very, very likeable guy, but very suspect nonetheless.
Old 26 May 2020, 03:12 AM   #22
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Anything associated with Armstrong gets a hard pass from me. Not worth my time.

If you’re interested in a much more compelling ESPN 30 for 30, check out the one that tells Greg LeMond’s story. Incredible story of dedication, grit, betrayal, victory and vindication. It also exposes Bernard Hinault for the asshat that he is.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 06:15 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post

You think he'll feel sorry enough to reimburse those he's financially ruined or the reputations he tried to destroy? How about feeling sorry enough that he gives up the money he made. I think he's now had to give up everything but the money. I'd Luv to see him have to give that up as well.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 07:31 AM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I personally don't hold ARod in high regard. But yeah for good reason there are some cheaters like ARod who aren't considered as despicable as others such as Bonds and Lance. Bonds was an A** but as far as I know he didn't try to ruin other peoples reputations and lively hoods like Lance. Yep. Lance is special all right.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 May 2020, 10:55 AM   #25
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Hard pass. I’m watching “ Antiques Roadshow” instead.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:59 AM   #26
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I personally don't hold ARod in high regard. But yeah for good reason there are some cheaters like ARod who aren't considered as despicable as others such as Bonds and Lance. Bonds was an A** but as far as I know he didn't try to ruin other peoples reputations and lively hoods like Lance. Yep. Lance is special all right.
everyone in pro sports takes steroids now, i guess as time went on it became more acceptable (by this i mean everyone knows and pretends to be oblivious) but there's always someone who will end up taking the fall for it at the start (referring to bonds and a-rod)
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:05 AM   #27
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Armstrong is a disgrace.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:44 PM   #28
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, most if not all the cycling greats and not so greats of the last 30-40 years at least were using drugs. Basso, Pantani, Ullrich, Armstrong, Valverde, etc. How about Indurain? 6'2 guy weighing 180 pounds rides 6 TDFs and does nothing then when EPO takes over the sport he suddenly wins 5 in a row while using known nefarious doctors. What a coincidence. Armstrong was different only in the way he bullied the sport and those he considered threats. His behavior was dispicable but his drug use was no worse than any of the guys many still look up to as heroes.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:56 PM   #29
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I’m more excited about the Bruce Lee 30 for 30, Be Water.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 05:20 PM   #30
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
everyone in pro sports takes steroids now, i guess as time went on it became more acceptable (by this i mean everyone knows and pretends to be oblivious) but there's always someone who will end up taking the fall for it at the start (referring to bonds and a-rod)
And as a result I no longer even care to watch so called sports any longer. Because it's no longer sport. For reasons such as this I hold it in no more regard than I do a reality TV show. I'm no longer entertained.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons