The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2020, 02:20 AM   #1
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Explorer 39mm mk2

Hi all fellow members,
I’m aiming for an Explorer for some weeks drooling over the internet pandemic lockdown

Never tried one and our local Rolex AD ...guess what ...of course doesn’t have one in stock...
So last night I sent emails all over Europe via Rolex official website to various ADs

Found one in EU at a Rolex AD at official price list and they are requesting a deposit of about 35% , is this common practice / I mean safe?

The AD is 1000 km from my location so I can go and pick up when borders are open :)

Would you do it?

If was next to me I would have go in a second buy it

ps
My first Rolex for me
I have bought 5 years ago one DJ lady from my local AD but obviously was not for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:32 AM   #2
Spence4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think you’ll get a lot of warnings against putting down a deposit, especially during such uncertain economic times- there were a couple threads about “What happens to my deposit if the AD goes out business?” threads about a month or so ago.

That said, I put down a 2,000 Euro deposit for a BLRO that the AD said would arrive in a year. I got an email 11 months later informing that it arrived. I pad the balance (including the annual price increase) and they shipped the watch to me.

There is an element of risk involved, but for me it worked out and I am extremely happy as all the ADs around home have said 3-5 years and some won’t even put me on their “list” as it is closed.
Spence4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:41 AM   #3
gmtln
"TRF" Member

Maybe get the AD to take a few pictures of the watch to prove they actually have it in their possession as opposed to having to order it in.
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #4
Rolexflex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtln View Post
Maybe get the AD to take a few pictures of the watch to prove they actually have it in their possession as opposed to having to order it in.
Ah I've heard some horror stories about not doing this. The gist of it is that If they don't have it currently in their inventory and they end up closing down permanently, depending on which country you are in you could be legally out of luck for getting your deposit back.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Rolexflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:21 AM   #5
Spoonage

If paid in full can / will they ship it? Is part of the hesitation on your part due to not ever trying it on before?

Having a current model Explorer, I must say I like the design and fit on my wrist. I have a flat 6.75in wrist and it is one of my most comfortable watches (subjective and depends on wrist dimensions and how you adjust it).

Getting back to your initial question, I have only ever put a deposit on 1 watch that I purchased being limited production (less than 150 units to USA) and first year release. It was a 1k USD deposit prior to the watch even being available in the USA and did it again only to ensure I got one, otherwise I wouldn't have put a deposit if they were readily available. That want many years ago before the current situation and not a Rolex if that matters.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:00 AM   #6
alllexandru

Explorer 39mm mk2

Asked the owner if paid in full - can you send it over insured parcel - answer was that is official Rolex policy not to send the watches but to sell them in shop

Having said that they said if I can send somebody to pick up over the store they are ok with this

They asked for 2000 euro deposit to keep the watch for me until my arrival

I didn’t ask them to send me the photos however I received them from the owner of the shop after he sent me the account for deposit without asking for them

There are some codes and a bar code but I cut it out ..don’t know if is ok to show them

Sooooo...do I go for it? :))

Old 29 May 2020, 05:44 AM   #7
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
I have no experience with Deposits and ADs, but I do have that ref and it’s near perfection. (Pic to entice; 6.75” wrist)

StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:52 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If the AD will ship I’d do it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 06:04 AM   #9
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTrying View Post
I have no experience with Deposits and ADs, but I do have that ref and it’s near perfection. (Pic to entice; 6.75” wrist)

I have the same wrist size , thx for sharing

Old 29 May 2020, 06:10 AM   #10
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If the AD will ship I’d do it.

They won’t send it just pick up from their shop

I found another AD same country différent island who says have it and they can send it on my own expense paid in full but thinking of buying in AD and get the nice treatment makes me almost want to go 2k km and take it from this shop :))

Any other advices and thoughts ? Appreciate all incoming comments

Old 29 May 2020, 06:16 AM   #11
alllexandru

Explorer 39mm mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
If paid in full can / will they ship it? Is part of the hesitation on your part due to not ever trying it on before?

No shipment not being already their customer but if they would ship I will take it
Don’t have any hesitation for not trying although I would of course like to try one in my local AD but as with all sports Rolex models not available ...

Which reminds me that I wrote to more than 15 stores most of them saying that there is a huge demand and no availability for any sports models.

One of them saying directly that they keep the sports models to their loyal customers and another one saying that if I want another brand they can sell to me but no Rolex :))

Old 29 May 2020, 11:39 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The Explorer is a nice watch, but it is not one of the extremely hard to find watches like the SS Daytona, BLNR, Hulk, etc.

If you are willing to wait, I am sure you can find an Explorer at an AD you can visit in person and try on and purchase all at the same time. I don't know what the border situation is like in the EU at the moment, but what if borders don't open for another 3 months or 6 months or even longer? Are you willing to send the deposit and wait not knowing when you can pick it up?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 04:23 AM   #13
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

If you are willing to wait, I am sure you can find an Explorer at an AD you can visit in person
I get you but here we have only one Rolex boutique, every time I called them or mail them they have none SS Models
As mentioned above other AD in Italy, Austria’s Germany, Poland ,etc declined having one

The borders will open within 7 days let’s see :)