The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2013, 02:35 AM   #661
speedy321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
+1
Thanks!
Old 25 February 2013, 03:02 AM   #662
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
OK, back to the eye candy. Apparently only 150 examples of this gorgeous SBGE021 (Limited Edition) were made. I am told that the green signifies good luck
The only thing I don't care for about GS's (and it's the only thing) is the number and mix of fonts on the dial. clutters up a beautiful watch.
Old 25 February 2013, 12:04 PM   #663
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
The only thing I don't care for about GS's (and it's the only thing) is the number and mix of fonts on the dial. clutters up a beautiful watch.

I know what you mean, although imho this is less noticeable in real life. I like the 'Grand Seiko' font and think it should have pride of place on the dial. I am not crazy about power reserve meters, but at least these are neatly executed
Old 25 February 2013, 01:42 PM   #664
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Oops... double post
Old 25 February 2013, 01:59 PM   #665
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

Both great watches!

Fit and finish of Grand Seiko dials is pretty spectacular, no doubt about that. I prefer the double locking Rolex clasp with easylink but not saying the Grand Seiko isn't top notch as well, though much more like the Omega clasping mechanism.

The crown on the Rolex dial may be more recognizable than the GS on the Grand Seiko, but that doesn't make it a better watch. Grand Seiko has proven quality, fit and finish that hasn't had to rely on flashy marketing to make great watches for over 50 years.

The fit and finish may be better on Grand Seikos, but that doesn't make it a better watch. The Rolex brand hasn't become a power house name because of flashy marketing alone. It has over 100 years of innovation and timeless trendsetting designs that have gotten it to where it is today. Rolex mechanisms may not be the prettiest, but are some of the most well designed, robust and time proven movements ever made. And the international support network for the brand is not something to be ignored either.

I enjoy them both and wear them both proudly. Presenting two of my favourite daily wearers:

Old 25 February 2013, 03:48 PM   #666
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
both great watches but to really appreciate what seiko can do, you have to handle and wear their $500 - $900 range watches. when comparing say, a $600 - $800 Sumo to a last gen Sub or even an omega smp or breitling superocean, you really become curious on how good the GS line may actually be to command a such a higher premium. the problem then becomes, are they worth the extra $5k or so for the SD calibre and GS label when a sumo may be nearly as good as a GS?
Old 25 February 2013, 05:33 PM   #667
bosjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
both great watches but to really appreciate what seiko can do, you have to handle and wear their $500 - $900 range watches. when comparing say, a $600 - $800 Sumo to a last gen Sub or even an omega smp or breitling superocean, you really become curious on how good the GS line may actually be to command a such a higher premium. the problem then becomes, are they worth the extra $5k or so for the SD calibre and GS label when a sumo may be nearly as good as a GS?
Having both a sumo and a gs spring drive I can tell you there is a very big difference between them and the sumo is a great watch which means the gs is super great or something like that.

Sumo-1 by bosjohn, on Flickr

grand-seiko-spring-drive by bosjohn, on Flickr
The only real weakness of the sumo is the bracelet seems a tad narrow and is not as high quality by a country mile as the bracelet on the gs. The fit and finish while excellent on the sumo doesn't approach the GS but it can hold it own in most diver circles quite nicely thanks. The most obvious difference though is the movement. it is a fine movement but not the spring drive and its not quite as accurate. However after having said all that I love the comfortable feel of wearing the sumo is about as good as the GS.
If I were a serious diver but choose not to go the dive computer route the sumo give a huge bang for the buck at about six hundred. compared to the rolex the rolex diver looks and feels better and is more accurate and with great fit and finish but it also costs almost fifteen to twenty times as much.
Sumo is a terrific bargin in dive watches,
Old 25 February 2013, 05:42 PM   #668
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim604 View Post
Both great watches!

Fit and finish of Grand Seiko dials is pretty spectacular, no doubt about that. I prefer the double locking Rolex clasp with easylink but not saying the Grand Seiko isn't top notch as well, though much more like the Omega clasping mechanism.

The crown on the Rolex dial may be more recognizable than the GS on the Grand Seiko, but that doesn't make it a better watch. Grand Seiko has proven quality, fit and finish that hasn't had to rely on flashy marketing to make great watches for over 50 years.

The fit and finish may be better on Grand Seikos, but that doesn't make it a better watch. The Rolex brand hasn't become a power house name because of flashy marketing alone. It has over 100 years of innovation and timeless trendsetting designs that have gotten it to where it is today. Rolex mechanisms may not be the prettiest, but are some of the most well designed, robust and time proven movements ever made. And the international support network for the brand is not something to be ignored either.

I enjoy them both and wear them both proudly. Presenting two of my favourite daily wearers:

Very nice.

When you wear these two daily watches do you always wear the Seiko on the outside or do you swap them a bit?

Great idea.

A Rolex is a Rolex and a Grand Seiko is a Grand Seiko.
I like them both.
Make your own mind up gentlemen but end this damned thread.

In this thread I have leaned that the Grand Seiko is a very nice watch but will never be considered as a competitor to Rolex.

Now have you seem my ASTRON.
The one that syncs the time to an atomic clock - automatically every day -and to 4 satellites manually even if you fly to South Australia with it's 1/2 hour time difference.

Technology rules.

I consider the Spring Drive as a electro/mechanical watch movement and rule it out in all direct comparisons with my GMT TTc and all other Rolex watches (except the DJ quartz).

ps. The quality of my ASTRON under a loupe is .... PERFECT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0093r.jpg (262.6 KB, 645 views)

Old 25 February 2013, 06:11 PM   #669
bosjohn

This proves once and for all GS and Rolex can coexist

Quote:
Both great watches!

Are they nesting will there be baby seikexs or rolkos in the future :-)
Old 25 February 2013, 06:33 PM   #670
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both great watches!

What a great pair of watches... and a novel way of tracking up to 5 different timezones!
Old 25 February 2013, 06:56 PM   #671
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosjohn View Post
Are they nesting will there be baby seikexs or rolkos in the future :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
When you wear these two daily watches do you always wear the Seiko on the outside or do you swap them a bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
What a great pair of watches... and a novel way of tracking up to 5 different timezones!

Old 26 February 2013, 02:34 AM   #672
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
ps. The quality of my ASTRON under a loupe is .... PERFECT.

Sweet/Great piece.

Considering the Astron isn't categorized in the GS line-up, that puts perspective on what level the GS line is really in.
Old 26 February 2013, 06:15 AM   #673
bosjohn

[QUOTE=directioneng;3979051]Very nice.

I consider the Spring Drive as a electro/mechanical watch movement and rule it out in all direct comparisons with my GMT TTc and all other Rolex watches (except the DJ quartz).

It fine for you to think of the spring drive however you want but I would expect consistency then, Would you then think of my VW turbo diesel as and electric motor because it uses and electronic fuel injection? somehow I didn't think so.
I understand the motivation to want to get the spring drive out of the mechanical watch category as it will be just about impossible to reach its accuracy with the traditional balance wheel and escapement.
But I think the only real way to classify a watch or auto is what is driving it. IN the case of the spring drive the watch is being driven by a spring which is utilizing kinetic energy not electrical energy. The electronic element supplies regulation but no power to drive the watch hands. Maybe its time to loose the term Mechanical watch or quartz watch and Talk about spring driven watches and electromotive watches.
John aka bosjohn
Old 26 February 2013, 07:08 AM   #674
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Agree 100% with what John just said!
Old 26 February 2013, 08:00 AM   #675
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
[QUOTE=bosjohn;3980213]
Quote:
Very nice.

It fine for you to think of the spring drive however you want but I would expect consistency then, Would you then think of my VW turbo diesel as and electric motor because it uses and electronic fuel injection? somehow I didn't think so.
I understand the motivation to want to get the spring drive out of the mechanical watch category as it will be just about impossible to reach its accuracy with the traditional balance wheel and escapement.
But I think the only real way to classify a watch or auto is what is driving it. IN the case of the spring drive the watch is being driven by a spring which is utilizing kinetic energy not electrical energy. The electronic element supplies regulation but no power to drive the watch hands. Maybe its time to loose the term Mechanical watch or quartz watch and Talk about spring driven watches and electromotive watches.
John aka bosjohn
I'll compromise and call the GS Springdrive a 'Hybrid'?

Old 26 February 2013, 07:48 PM   #676
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosjohn View Post
Quote:
Very nice.

John aka bosjohn

It's a good idea, although I like the term 'naturally aspirated' (to extend the automotive engine analogy)
Old 27 February 2013, 01:48 AM   #677
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
[QUOTE=bosjohn;3980213]
Quote:
Very nice.

John aka bosjohn
Welcome to TRF! I'm on the opposite side of the fence, a veteran over here and a newbie to SCWF. Both are great brands if you love them for what they are and don't insist on declaring one "better".

My Datejust has no equal in my heart but my LM36000 is a close 2nd in my collection at 3% of the selling price! The Seiko time variance on the wrist makes it a mere mortal among watches, but held stationery it keeps COSC after 40+ years. And the 10 beats per second makes the sweep mesmerizing - nearly continuous and almost up to Spring Drive smoothness. So is the near continuous sweep on my 'pure quartz' Bulova Precisionist that is accurate to 15 seconds per year, but it is way way down on my list as it somehow lacks personality.

Last night at a local Board Meeting another Rolex owner saw I had my vintage Seiko LM36000 on my wrist and he too thought it was fantastic. He is a 1-watch kind of guy and his Datejust is his pride and joy with Serti dial, but he had to admit it was gorgeous and way cool.

Hope to see you on both forums (or would that be 'fora'? LOL)
Old 1 March 2013, 03:55 AM   #678
Ozzyhavana

Grand seiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
There is another distinct difference and that is that Mercedes Benz was a high end car company that in recent years went down market to attract entry level buyers and, as noted, their least expensive car still is not cheap. Seiko on the other hand, is traditionally a low end watch company that has gone up market. Perhaps had they opened a Swiss facility to build these watches and branded them differently, the perception may be quite different.
Hi,if you look at Leica / canon/ Nikon they all sell cameras & Lenses at Thousands of pounds but they also sell cameras for a few hundred under the same name and people don,t question or devalue their products because of that.
I think Seiko or Grand Seiko have not invested in telling the world how good they are.
Old 4 March 2013, 05:23 PM   #679
airwave

Watch: 16613 / SBGM031
incoming

Nodelicious, as the OP on this thread, you bear full responsibility for the "Buyers Remorse" I'm feeling right now.

schwiiiiing
Should be at home waiting for me when I get out of the sandpit.
Old 4 March 2013, 05:40 PM   #680
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave View Post
Nodelicious, as the OP on this thread, you bear full responsibility for the "Buyers Remorse" I'm feeling right now.

schwiiiiing

Congrats - what a beauty!
Old 4 March 2013, 05:53 PM   #681
Lrd2sea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave View Post

schwiiiiing
Maybe you ahold consider investing in a better sand wedge,... Haha.

Jokes aside, nice choice! I just got my self a sbge 001 last month. Love it and am impressed!