The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 February 2010, 11:53 AM   #31
Volant997

Watch: 116520, 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidDR View Post
Volant997,

In the older days, it was a benefit and the prices were usually 10-30% cheaper. As you so succinctly stated, the deals are no longer there. We shop at the Commissary but most of my major purchases are alas, outside the gate!
We used to shop at the commissary ALL the time. It's still a great benefit and easily is 20% less than local stores. Unfortunately the nearest one is 20+ miles away and not worth the round trip.

Hey, I know where this thread is headed... let's talk about what GREAT medical benefits we now have. Sorry, let's not! to you
Old 13 February 2010, 12:00 PM   #32
OrchidDR
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT II
Squid indeed! Retired Navy Chief here and proud of it!

We shop at MacDill AFB which has the largest commissary in the world! (It's huge)

I don't know, I had rotator cuff surgery last year and it cost me $11.00 TOTAL and this past summer I had an emergency appendectomy (is there any other kind) and it was less than 50 bucks!

Knocking on wood!
Old 13 February 2010, 12:09 PM   #33
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
I can't talk about the pay rates for the USA forces but for a single British Army Soldier with a couple of stripes on his arm, a Rolex sub etc.. can be easily obtainable using 0% APR credit, most AD's in the UK offer this.

DDG, please thank your family for their service.
Old 13 February 2010, 12:29 PM   #34
Volant997

Watch: 116520, 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogger View Post
I can't talk about the pay rates for the USA forces but for a single British Army Soldier with a couple of stripes on his arm, a Rolex sub etc.. can be easily obtainable using 0% APR credit, most AD's in the UK offer this.

DDG, please thank your family for their service.
Pay rates for the US military are a matter of public record. A couple stripes i.e Corporal/E4 or even Sergeant/E5... with 6 years under his/her belt: A whopping $2,414.40 a month or about $29,000/year (not counting housing allowance or other adds). If that said SGT has a family or other priorities there is very little left to be out buying high end watches.

Unfortunately most of these kids do go DEEP into debt to moment they join. There are enough temptations: car dealerships, etc offering 0% credit...

Two Navy Commanders living in HI (getting a great COLA and double-dipping on housing allowances) certainly - enjoy your Rolex, but I'd never council a young enlisted soldier that a Rolex is smart buy. Maybe the Brits pay their soldiers better, dunno...
Old 13 February 2010, 12:48 PM   #35
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volant997 View Post
Pay rates for the US military are a matter of public record. A couple stripes i.e Corporal/E4 or even Sergeant/E5... with 6 years under his/her belt: A whopping $2,414.40 a month or about $29,000/year (not counting housing allowance or other adds). If that said SGT has a family or other priorities there is very little left to be out buying high end watches.

Unfortunately most of these kids do go DEEP into debt to moment they join. There are enough temptations: car dealerships, etc offering 0% credit...

Two Navy Commanders living in HI (getting a great COLA and double-dipping on housing allowances) certainly - enjoy your Rolex, but I'd never council a young enlisted soldier that a Rolex is smart buy. Maybe the Brits pay their soldiers better, dunno...
Just to clear things up, I served for 8 years. The British forces rank structure may sound similar to the US but infact is pretty different. It normally takes at least 10 years service to reach Sgt, hence the pay reflects this. I too would not advise a young soldier to buy anything on credit. There is nothing wrong with using credit as long as you can afford the outgoing IMHO and do it wisely, others mileage may vary.

Sorry to go off topic.
Old 13 February 2010, 12:57 PM   #36
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I am a retired Marine--I can tell you --I have never seen a Rolex in the PX--not even close--unless things have changed that much in last 19 years since I have been out! And if I remember correctly back then--after food allowance--beer being the only food consumed on weekends--hardly any money would be left for a Rolex.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 February 2010, 01:42 PM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I also have PX privileges and I get an email from the exchange regularly. I've never seen a Rolex on the website, although Omegas are listed.
Old 13 February 2010, 04:26 PM   #38
thunderyacht
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
If you want to be on time, the "best you can reasonably afford" is usually a Suunto. That's what they "issue" to the SF guys, and they're a heckuva lot more accurate than Rolex.

All the ops are synchronized on secure digital communications networks. The only reason you need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting.
No, the only reason YOU need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting. You probably pulled your card out for a "recruit time out" in Basic too. SF, you wish. Let's just leave it at, everyone who served, regardless of rank and branch, deserves a fine time piece like a Rolex. I've seen a lot of Rolexes at the "five sided building" in the MDoW.
Old 13 February 2010, 05:27 PM   #39
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
I am a retired Marine--I can tell you --I have never seen a Rolex in the PX--not even close--unless things have changed that much in last 19 years since I have been out! And if I remember correctly back then--after food allowance--beer being the only food consumed on weekends--hardly any money would be left for a Rolex.
Well, it was only the overseas exchanges as far as I know; and in the catalog for overseas purchasers. They sold them at the Navy Exchange, Yokosuka, the Yokota AB PX, the New Sanno military hotel in Tokyo, and the Kadena PX; and that's a fact. They continued to sell in-store stock even after the relationship with Rolex ended. You could buy a brand new Explorer II white dial at Yokosuka for $2000 USD as late as the early 2000's; and the last President I saw at Yokota in around 2002, in fact the last Rolex they had in stock, was selling brand new for well under $10K. I also saw them in the Exchanges in the 80's. Before that, I don't know.
Old 13 February 2010, 05:49 PM   #40
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
It's an AD choice issue. I know a few Firemen, Police officers who were given a discount (less than 20%) from my AD. I know of no standard discount. Things have changed, during WWII P.O.W.s could get Rolex watches sent to them on IOUs. (English were famous for this in German P.O.W. camps). My how things have changed at Rolex.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:22 PM   #41
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderyacht View Post
No, the only reason YOU need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting. You probably pulled your card out for a "recruit time out" in Basic too. SF, you wish. Let's just leave it at, everyone who served, regardless of rank and branch, deserves a fine time piece like a Rolex. I've seen a lot of Rolexes at the "five sided building" in the MDoW.

Either you're misinformed, or angry about something. Either way, this post is

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 14 August 2018, 09:14 PM   #42
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderyacht View Post
Why so defensive?

Closed Thread