The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 July 2022, 07:20 AM   #1
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

Legacy Possessions and their Meaning, for Paul, The VTC Guy

Legacy Possessions and their Meaning

As my dear friend and inspiration Art Harriman would write:

For Sugarloaf, California Writers Group, Thursday, 7-7-22

Rough Draft

Definition: What does it mean to leave a legacy?

"Leaving a legacy means giving something that will be valued and treasured by those who survive after your death. It requires thought to ensure that any items that have meaning to you will also have meaning to those you designate to inherit them."

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.” — Greek Proverb

A friend on an internet watch forum recently created a post titled: Fourth of July Tradition

He wrote:

"Many of you know, almost four years ago my stepfather passed and I inherited his beloved Corvette. It is a 95, his baby, and he stared at it more then drove it; when he died it had just under 47,000 miles. I keep it at my mom’s house (in Arizona) and don’t drive it as much as I should, four years later it just rolled over 50,000 miles. Every 4th I take it for about an hour drive up to Superior Az. It’s an old mining town in the hills and the main source of entertainment is watching the cars rust, but it’s a nice drive."

I responded:

"Thank you so very much for sharing your personal and moving story. I have been following it for a few years.

I am extremely interested in legacy possessions, such as the Corvette. It has enormous meaning to you specifically and only because it was your stepfather's. You would not have a 95 Vette otherwise. In a way, a part of your stepfather's spirit and memory lives on in you.

There are many similar legacy watches."

I was adopted by my family. I never met my grandfather on my father's side, but in about 1972, when my grandfather died, my father drove his red Volkswagen Beetle to Salt Lake City for his funeral. My father went by himself. This was a time well before cheap air fare. He had to drive there and back quickly, because of work obligations, which is why he went by himself, rather than take the whole family. He would have been about 40 years old, and I would have been about 10.

When he came back, he gave me a ceremonial white Resistol Cowboy hat that was signed by the Mayor of Calgary for my Grandfather specifically for the famous Calgary Stampede Rodeo. I still have it 50 years later and have worn it occasionally going out to music events.

My father also started wearing a gold diamond ring that was a prized possession of his father. He wore it every day of his life. When he died on Monday, November 7, 1988, my mother gave it to me in his memory. It was resized and I began wearing it everyday, as he did. I was working at the time at a Thrifty Drug Store in the ghetto of Garden Grove, at Magnolia and Katella, just down the street from Disneyland. It got many comments, and I didn't feel comfortable wearing it. This was a neighborhood where people would be robbed and killed for $100. I wasn't ready to continue wearing it.

So I ended up giving it back to my mother. She held on to it for me. About 10 years ago, she returned it to me. At that time, I was working in a very rough neighborhood in Los Angeles County, California. I still did not feel comfortable wearing it.

In October of 2018, I was forced to take early retirement by the City I was working for. I took them to the Labor Board in dispute. The day before the hearing was to be held, the City offered me a settlement, and I accepted the money and terms.

At the beginning of the pandemic, in April 2020, I began reading and learning about watches. I decided to get a Tudor Black Bay Burgundy, made by Rolex, as a trophy for the successful outcome of my dispute with the City and as a visible reminder of the hard work I put in during my 25 year career.

Now was the time to begin wearing my father's ring. I now wear it everyday, along with my watch. I never would have bought the ring for myself. It is truly priceless to me, and has enormous meaning and connection. What had been my grandfather's, became my father's and is now in my possession. It truly is the definition of a legacy.

A close motorcycle friend recently inherited a gold Patek Phillipe watch from his stepfather.

I wrote:

"Many, many thanks for sharing that picture and story with me. You are very fortunate and have such a wonderful family. The personal connection with your stepfather makes that watch absolutely priceless. I now wear a ring that was my father's and belonged to his father before him. It is truly one of my most cherished and meaningful possessions. As I am sure you know, Patek Phillipe have a extremely famous advertising slogan and theme which says, "You never actually own a Patek Phillipe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

You are really living that with your family. What an honor.

Many thanks again for sharing your extremely personal and meaningful family story. I greatly appreciate hearing it.!!!!"

As for what will become of my ring, as someone who never got married, never got divorced, never had children and have ejected from my original family, I am left in a bit of a bind.

I suppose one of my most important tasks is to now attempt to find someone worthy of its possession and legacy, as the late Stepfathers did with the 95 Corvette and Patek Phillipe watch. I would be very fortunate to find someone as perfect as they successfully did.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2022, 08:00 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Great post!! I have many things throughout my house that are sentimental. Hell my dad and grandfather built my house in 1971.

As to your dilemma of who to inherit your priceless possessions. It appears you’ve worked in some less than desirable areas throughout your life. I’d suggest (if it up your alley) becoming a big brother or mentor of some sort to a disadvantaged youth. Tell them your stories, help mold them into exceptional young men and if you bond with one leave them your possessions.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2022, 09:27 AM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Very very cool and a touching story
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 03:53 PM   #4
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
As to your dilemma of who to inherit your priceless possessions. It appears you’ve worked in some less than desirable areas throughout your life. I’d suggest (if it up your alley) becoming a big brother or mentor of some sort to a disadvantaged youth. Tell them your stories, help mold them into exceptional young men and if you bond with one leave them your possessions.
This is a great idea. Given your post, you could certainly impart wisdom from experience that could be life changing to the right adolescent.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 09:23 AM   #5
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Doug, I just read through some of your previous posts (Kauai) and this post.

You have a beautiful soul, brother. I wish you happiness in the rest of life's journey's and thank you for sharing some of them here on the forum.

My best to you,
Merle
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 10:17 AM   #6
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
As a family member of many siblings I have never inherited a thing , so I am determined to leave my two sons as much sentimental items as I can

Great post Doug
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 10:38 AM   #7
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Lovely post. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 8 September 2022, 09:58 AM   #8
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

I keep my Father’s college society key (1936) with me every day.
His wedding band is at my bedside.

These things are important and should be treasured, IMHO

Great post !!
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote