The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2020, 07:50 PM   #1
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Watch: me prevaricate.
AP v datejust.

I'm sure there must be some AP owners on here and many others who would like to own one. I'm fascinated by the AP 15202 and whilst under the current pandemic there is no real option to see or buy one, I am left sitting here simply speculating. I have read about the step up in quality from other brands, so my question is this- is a 15202 "worth" at MSRP the cost of 3 datejusts? Would you prefer to own the AP, or add 3 datejusts or the equivalent to your collection? For those that have both, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. To those that don't-what do you think? All hypothetical I know, but life is like that at the moment
Photos not mine-lifted from the internet.
Thanks,
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: png 88753d4fb6516b7debc51272a060058d.png (226.6 KB, 912 views)
File Type: jpg bb035a5e3431c28268147a7dde293a3782e795a6.jpg (64.4 KB, 912 views)
wigdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 07:59 PM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Would you prefer one Lamborghini or 3 Mercedes Sedans?

Very different brand projection and vibe. All a matter of taste and preference.

I would take the AP over 3 datejusts, but for a more fair comparison, I wouldn’t take it over 2 Daytona’s at MSRP. Since we are in dream land anyways, I’d rather have one black and white at MSRP.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:04 PM   #3
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Ok well the AP is in a different league to the Datejust imho HOWEVER as an every day watch you can’t go wrong with the DJ, the finishing on the stainless AP’s just has to be seen to be believed (I nearly bought an ROC once but then I had to have children instead haha) absolutely stunning if I could afford one I would go for it in a heartbeat. My understanding is the servicing etc is all far far higher than your average Rolex service. I would say it’s a far more luxury item than the DJ. The experience I have with Rolex is I’ve had 5-6 modern sports models and they have never ever let me down. I haven’t even needed a service nothing has ever missed a beat. The thing is I am more seeing the value in rotating a few of those than having one crazy expensive AP that I wear all the time. If that ever changes for me financially then I’m headed for a 15400/ROC from AP for sure!!! Hope that’s helpful in some way I don’t know
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:04 PM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

For the AP money I’d rather go for a precious metal watch. Isn’t this Day Date or Calatrava money?
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:05 PM   #5
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Would you prefer one Lamborghini or 3 Mercedes Sedans? .
this!
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:19 PM   #6
john64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
I think things are 'worth' whatever a person is willing to pay for them, i do think that there is usually a component of value for money and also investment value, but for some the pleasure of owning a particular brand or item outweighs those other things.

Give the 2 options in the original post, I would go for the 3 DateJusts options, in reality though maybe other selections.
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 3861 (Hesalite), Christopher Ward C60 #tide, 1964 Omega Seamaster Deville Automatic,Mathey-Tissot GMT Pepsi,Bremont Airco Mach 2, Rolex DateJust 41 Model : 126300 White Dial Roman Jubilee, Omega SeaMaster DIVER 300M Commander's Watch 212.32.41.20.04.001,Tudor Black Bay Blue 79220B, Omega SeaMaster Diver 300M 212.30.41.20.01.003, Rolex SubC 114060, Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Diver BN0100-51E
john64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:33 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Not 3 DJs but 3 SS Rolexes v the 202 is a tough call and really just what your personal preference is. After having bought a few of these watches now I would aim for 1 of each.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:34 PM   #8
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Much depends on which design "sings'' to you, or whether you'd be happy to pay for a superior movement, case design, history, etc etc.

Being a shallow person myself, looks are all that matter to me.

I'd therefore go for the Datejust, purely because I think it looks nicer.

But I acknowledge that the AP might have the edge from a purely horological standpoint.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:38 PM   #9
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=macrowatch;10558067]Would you prefer one Lamborghini or 3 Mercedes Sedans?

Mercedes obviously-one for each of my datejusts
Thanks for the comments so far-some interesting thoughts.
Old 21 April 2020, 09:44 PM   #10
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I you hand them both to me and ask me to pick one without me k owing the price tag of each I will pick the DJ every day.
Once you tell me about the price tag my decision to pick the DJ would be double reassured and definitive.
Old 21 April 2020, 09:48 PM   #11
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I'd take the Jumbo, but I am more than a bit of a fan. Someone mentioned servicing costs being an issue with AP. My blue dial 15202 is with AP right now. $1190. I don't know what a Datejust costs at RSC but a sub was $800 end of last year. Not a huge difference. AP might need servicing more often, but mine went 8 years from new to first service, and it was still running great. I just sent it in to be precautionary.

I can't say enough good things about the 15202. It is a truly special watch.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:50 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is a personal preference but I would go one DJ to the AP as I believe it to be a more wearable watch and more robust. Service costs on the AP will make your eyes water and for me the AP is not worth the money.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:56 PM   #13
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
For the AP money I’d rather go for a precious metal watch. Isn’t this Day Date or Calatrava money?
I was thinking along these lines too.

I wonder what a white gold day date with blue dial would cost in comparison? That would be my choice.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 10:02 PM   #14
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
I was thinking along these lines too.

I wonder what a white gold day date with blue dial would cost in comparison? That would be my choice.
You can get 4 datejusts for a white gold day date
Old 21 April 2020, 10:07 PM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I personally think the Date Just is the most versatile Rolex and my personal favorite (I prefer the classic 1601) but even the newer ones are nearly the perfect watch.

That being said, that particular AP might be the one to sway me for it over the Rolex (without having tried one on)
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 10:37 PM   #16
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Depends. I’ll give the same advice of gave someone considering a PP but applies here. Do you want a sport watch, a do anything do anywhere watch that will take a pounding? Then Rolex. If you want a lux dress watch masquerading as a sport watch, go AP-that is if you like the style. For me the the AP RO and other genta designs are just not appealing. I am not one to go in for the hype. I have a problem with a brand bringing in genta to create a so called sport watch when that’s not really in the companies dna. It’s like the movie the elf where the book company brings in an outsider to create a hit. PP and AP brought in genta to make a design that could pass as a sport watch, but is just at its core is a lux brand that saw Rolex eating into its market share and the need to create a sport watch as styles were changing to less formal. I don’t have be beef with this, and if you like the design and care for a decorated movement, and have other watches in the stable, go AP. If you really want a real sport watch, It’s Rolex. There is still no one that does a sport watch like Rolex.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 10:46 PM   #17
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdog63 View Post
You can get 4 datejusts for a white gold day date
Assuming all fluted bezels - is go for Wimbledon and Blue in jubilee, then black and silver / sundust on oyster.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:07 PM   #18
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The AP Jumbo is one of my all-time favorite watches. The quality, look, feel, finishing and history are something special.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #19
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
The AP Jumbo is one of my all-time favorite watches. The quality, look, feel, finishing and history are something special.
So would you take it over 3 SS Rolexes??
Old 21 April 2020, 11:15 PM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Worth and value are perception. Do what you feel is best for you :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:15 PM   #21
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I would pick AP 15202ST, this model is very hard to get (similar to Daytona).

This is purely a matter of taste and personal preference. Which one you like the most, choose that one, it's better to have one that you really like than 3 that you don't like it as much.

Rolex made beautiful watches and last forever. AP horological standpoint is on different level with Rolex. AP watches look plain/simple but very elegant especially their bracelets look the best.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:18 PM   #22
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

I would take the 15202 over three DJs and not think twice
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:20 PM   #23
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I'd rather have 3 SS rolexes. Don't think I'd want 3 DJs, but if we are talking a DJ, sub, and GMT I'm all in.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:21 PM   #24
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

ap
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:21 PM   #25
Billfav
"TRF" Member

The 15202 is a classic

An unobtainable grail if you will. However there are things such as lack of quick set date, that would make it challenging to own if you did not wear it everyday.

As an everyday, I am not sure. I have owned a AP 15450 while a completely different watch and caliber, it was a big disappointment. It made me really question AP as a brand, and it's quality control or rather lack thereof.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:23 PM   #26
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Worth and value are perception. Do what you feel is best for you :)
I agree with you-I'm interested on how others balance that dilemma. It is merely a hypothetical debate for me as, even if I had the funds, a 15202 seems an unlikely prospect this decade.
Old 21 April 2020, 11:26 PM   #27
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
I'd rather have 3 SS rolexes. Don't think I'd want 3 DJs, but if we are talking a DJ, sub, and GMT I'm all in.
I totally agree.
Old 21 April 2020, 11:33 PM   #28
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdog63 View Post
So would you take it over 3 SS Rolexes??
Without a doubt.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 12:57 AM   #29
supacarrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Maybe I'm from the younger generation here... but why not consider a PM Rolex versus a steel AP? Way better return on value IMO. I'm also told the AP bracelets are scratch magnets, so the PM Rolex, oddly enough, might hold up better to daily wear (cannot confirm myself, as I have never owned an AP).

Personally Lange will always win out for me over AP or Patek if you want a truly artisanal watch, both in terms of attractive design and in value. A Lange 1 is used is probably not much more than a steel AP.
supacarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 01:22 AM   #30
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Save $20k and get a blue dial 15400, spend half your savings on a DJ and now you have both watches and $10k banked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote