The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2022, 01:09 AM   #1
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer II
While I'm waiting for my Explorer II...

I've been on the list for a polar Explorer II for over a year. While that sounds typical, it's really not for my local AD. If they know you and you're local and they know you are an enthusiast, you can generally get watches in 6 months or so. I'm not too worried....I'll get the call eventually.

While I'm waiting, I'm pretty interested in picking up the new Black Bay Pro or the Grand Seiko SBGM247. Grand Seiko's take on the Explorer II.

I phoned up a nearby Tudor AD and they didn't have one in inventory but acted like it wouldn't be too hard to get one. They've already gotten 3 in and they all sold right away. Overall it's nice to be able to make a phone call and get a watch in reasonably short order. They can also get the Grand Seiko from one of their sister stores.

Can anyone comment on the Black Bay versus the Grand Seiko? Pictures would be great as always. I'm still going to get the polar Explorer II, but I think one of these other two in the interim would be a fun watch and relatively affordable.

Thanks!

MJ
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:03 AM   #2
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
BBP on a strap would be my choice since the Exp II will be on the oyster. This would make a handsome pair! I don't like the crown at 4:00 on the GS.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:06 AM   #3
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I attended a Rolex event yesterday and a guy came in wearing a Tudor Chronograph, white dial. A very impressive looking watch on the wrist!
Old 12 May 2022, 06:21 AM   #4
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I'd pick the Black Bay Pro.

Main reasons due to the superior bracelet design (micro-adjusting T system) and far better legibility. I find that GS generally has poor execution of lume and the dial contrast can be poor with the hour markers in some lighting conditions. The 4-o'clock placement of the crown also triggers my OCD.

Other factors: To some degree my preference in design aesthetic and my general preference for Tudor brand-wise and probably greater ease of servicing and wider AD network.
Old 12 May 2022, 06:06 PM   #5
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

BBP is horrible looking and too small. Looks like your neighbor that never looks showered. Yuck. Pseudo 1655 ripoff that looks nothing like the awesome original Explorer II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:10 PM   #6
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
strange post…

Also, it’s close to the 16570….not the 1655.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 03:59 AM   #7
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ EXPLORER View Post
I've been on the list for a polar Explorer II for over a year. While that sounds typical, it's really not for my local AD. If they know you and you're local and they know you are an enthusiast, you can generally get watches in 6 months or so. I'm not too worried....I'll get the call eventually.

While I'm waiting, I'm pretty interested in picking up the new Black Bay Pro or the Grand Seiko SBGM247. Grand Seiko's take on the Explorer II.

I phoned up a nearby Tudor AD and they didn't have one in inventory but acted like it wouldn't be too hard to get one. They've already gotten 3 in and they all sold right away. Overall it's nice to be able to make a phone call and get a watch in reasonably short order. They can also get the Grand Seiko from one of their sister stores.

Can anyone comment on the Black Bay versus the Grand Seiko? Pictures would be great as always. I'm still going to get the polar Explorer II, but I think one of these other two in the interim would be a fun watch and relatively affordable.

Thanks!

MJ
MJ, I have the polar and tried both the SBGM247 and BBP and if I were you, I would wait for polar to arrive, other two are too thick compared to 226570. Plus looks like frequency of incomings increased a lot lately, you may receive the call sooner than expected.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 04:26 AM   #8
Pouring2010
"TRF" Member

I would just wait (or pressurise your AD in meantime)

I own a 236570 in black. Love it. Favourite piece I have owned over 30 years collecting. Suspect it may be an “exit watch” in that I can’t see anything replacing it as my daily (all day every day) on my wrist.

I have owned the GS SBGN003 and a Blackbay GMT.

Neither are anywhere near the quality etc.

Save your money and wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pouring2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 05:18 AM   #9
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Personally i would go for the Grand Seiko…but that’s only because you didn’t mention the new Longines Zulu Time which I prefer over the BB Pro

https://www.fratellowatches.com/long...ime-gmt-watch/
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black bay pro , explorer ii , grand seiko sbgm247