The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Coolex
Banned

Hotels/dining in Maui?

Anyone have suggestions for Maui hotels or restaurants? I trust your tastes around these parts :)
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolex View Post
Anyone have suggestions for Maui hotels or restaurants? I trust your tastes around these parts :)

Maui was a lot of fun. Massages at four seasons was a huge highlight but we did bnb Bc I liek having the entire house to roam around in! I’ll try to remember the names of a few restaurants we loved when we were there in September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albusdabbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:22 AM   #3
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Mama’s Fish House. Best restaurant on the island in my opinion.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:30 AM   #4
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Grand Wailea, Four Seasons both in Wailea.

Tons of good restaurants in Kihei and Lahaina. Yelp has good coverage for reviews. I agree that Mama's is the best, and it’s a convenient way to finish off a day coming back from Hana.

Our favorite quick/cheap lunch is fish tacos and beer at Paia Fish Market in Kihei. I think they have a location in Lahaina town too.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Maui has sort of 2 sides. The Kaanapali/Lahaina side and the Wailea side.

On the Kaanapali side there are a number of hotels including the Hyatt, Westin and Sheraton and a few farther down past Black Rock. The nice thing about the Kaanapali side is the beach walk/boardwalk down to shopping and dining.

On the Wailea side there are a lot of resorts including the Grand Wailea, Marriott and a bunch of others. They too have a nice beach walk and there's a pretty decent mall there as well.

As for dining lots of places but as has been stated, Mama Fish House is pretty great. But one thing to remember about Hawaii, almost every restaurant has great fresh fish caught daily and so you're paying a lot for ambience at the really expensive places, but even the hole in the wall places have pretty great food.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:32 AM   #6
WatchNut2012
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolex View Post
Hotel:
Montage Kapalua Bay is our favorite by far. The Kapalua area is more remote and laid back than where most of the hotels are down in Wailea. We stayed once at the Four Seasons and it's too big and it was a cluster trying to get chairs at the pool. Felt like a convention hotel and not a normal FS property.

Restaurants (Near Kapalua):
Merriman's
Monkeypod Kitchen
Lahiana Grill
WatchNut2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:34 AM   #7
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

On the Kaanapali side there are a number of hotels including the Hyatt, Westin and Sheraton and a few farther down past Black Rock. The nice thing about the Kaanapali side is the beach walk/boardwalk down to shopping and dining.

On the Wailea side there are a lot of resorts including the Grand Wailea, Marriott and a bunch of others. They too have a nice beach walk and there's a pretty decent mall there as well.

As for dining lots of places but as has been stated, Mama Fish House is pretty great. But one thing to remember about Hawaii, almost every restaurant has great fresh fish caught daily and so you're paying a lot for ambience at the really expensive places, but even the hole in the wall places has pretty great food.

The best food I had on the island was my cheapest meal also. I’m trying to remember the name. I could walk back there in a heartbeat though

Old 26 April 2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
^This........

Quote:

As for dining lots of places but as has been stated, Mama Fish House is pretty great. But one thing to remember about Hawaii, almost every restaurant has great fresh fish caught daily and so you're paying a lot for ambience at the really expensive places, but even the hole in the wall places have pretty great food.
....and that^.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:50 AM   #9
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Coconuts fish cafe in Kihei. Finally came back to me. After a google search of course

Old 26 April 2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

. . .
Kihei is located between these two tourist resort destinations and has miles of beaches and shops. Lahaina is on the Ka'anapali side and is the old capital, it is also where the cruise ships take everybody.

I have stayed in all 4 places and prefer the Kaanapali area. Duke's is on the beach, Lahaina has several places including the old Lahaina Luau, Cheese Burger in Paradise, Kimo's (part of Dukes), and a host of others.

All of these are on the opposite side of the island from where the airport is located.
Old 26 April 2019, 07:38 AM   #11
function12
"TRF" Member

We stayed at the Hyatt back in 2011. Hotel was nice and so was the pool but access to the ocean was very limited because of the coral heads.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 07:46 AM   #12
WV2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Totally agree. I think they have open table app reservations too.

WV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 07:54 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Kihei is located between these two tourist resort destinations and has miles of beaches and shops. Lahaina is on the Ka'anapali side and is the old capital, it is also where the cruise ships take everybody.

All of these are on the opposite side of the island from where the airport is located.
Yeah, the cruise ships also dock at Kahului so Lahaina is not a massive cruise ship destination. Usually one a week or maybe 2 for a day. Not like the Bahamas where it's a huge cruise ship tourist trap.

You're right, the Kaanapali side is a lot farther than Kihei and Wailea but thankfully they opened a new highway a year ago that lessened the drive time a ton. A couple of weeks ago during spring break driving in from the airport to Kaanapali we barely stopped at all, compared to a couple of years ago it took well over an hour.
Old 26 April 2019, 08:16 AM   #14
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Maui Brewing Co if you like beer
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:42 AM   #15
chsu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116520,SLA19
Hotels/dining in Maui?

What is your budget? You flying in or taking a cruise ship in?

I was just there for 2 weeks and flew in. Rented a car and stopped by Costco, which is next to the airport, to stock up on supplies. Then go to Da Kitchen for a meal before hotel. Actually went back a few times because it is that good.

I would do airbnb next time I go. Stayed at Aston at the Whaler because we need a full kitchen apartment and booked during Black Friday sale. Thought it was a decent deal until I saw the same apartment/rooms on airbnb for 50% less. Cheap rooms get booked up 6-8 months ahead so plan accordingly.

I went on triple Ds for ideas to eat.

https://m.dinersdriveinsdiveslocatio...locations.html

Best restaurant is Mama’s but pricy. However, worth it as an experience.

Lahaina Grill is also good.

Star Noodle is good as well.

If you are going to the Hana side, get everything from Costco because there is not much there to eat except that Thai food truck.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:44 AM   #16
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
What is your budget? You flying in or taking a cruise ship in?

I was just there for 2 weeks and flew in. Rented a car and stopped by Costco, which is next to the airport, to stock up on supplies. Then go to Da Kitchen for a meal before hotel. Actually went back a few times because it is that good.

I would do airbnb next time I go. Stayed at Aston at the Whaler because we need a full kitchen apartment and booked during Black Friday sale. Thought it was a decent deal until I saw the same apartment/rooms on airbnb for 50% less. Cheap rooms get booked up 6-8 months ahead so plan accordingly.

I went on triple Ds for ideas to eat.

https://m.dinersdriveinsdiveslocatio...locations.html

Best restaurant is Mama’s but pricy. However, worth it as an experience.

Lahaina Grill is also good.

Star Noodle is good as well.

If you are going to the Hana side, get everything from Costco because there is not much there to eat except that Thai food truck.

Dah kitchen was yummy we ate there once

Old 26 April 2019, 09:04 AM   #17
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
When ever I go out of town I try to eat where the locals eat. So ask around. Those are usually the best places if you want something casual. Also find a good poke spot if you like sushi.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 09:31 AM   #18
chsu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116520,SLA19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb250 View Post
When ever I go out of town I try to eat where the locals eat. So ask around. Those are usually the best places if you want something casual. Also find a good poke spot if you like sushi.

Triple D provides that local eats knowledge. Costco poke is very good. Have it for dinner raw first night and then cook it up for sandwich the following day.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 01:07 PM   #19
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Last time in Maui, we ate at Mama’s 3 times. Superb!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 01:10 PM   #20
Caynuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mama’s fish house. Best restaurant on the island in my opinion.
+1
Old 27 April 2019, 12:44 AM   #21
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

We stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea in 2014 and will be back there in June this year. If you're traveling with kids, it's not a bad place since to stay since all rooms are at least 860 sq. ft. and the kids can have their own room. The pools aren't the biggest but they have one water slide. If you're not traveling with kids, there is an adults only pool as well. The beach at the Fairmont is nice since it's a little more private than the other resorts in Wailea since it's not really connected to other resorts.

When I researched where to stay, I stuck to the Wailea area since it sounded a little more resort feeling there. There's also the Andaz, Marriott, Four Seasons, and Grand Wailea in that area. I've had friends stay at the Four Seasons and they spoke very highly of it.

As far as dining, there are some options in Wailea at the various hotels and also at the shops of Wailea. We were limited last time since our kids were relatively young, 6 and 2, so we basically stayed within the Wailea area and ate at restaurants with kid friendly menus.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #22
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Regarding places to stay, the Maui Hyatt in Kaanapali is pretty nice. We usually stay next door at the Marriott Vacation Club. My favorite hotel property there is the Kapalua Ritz, so beautiful with great restaurants on site. It is a bit out of the way from other places you may want to visit though, so keep that in mind. I'm not too sure about the Wailea properties, but also a cool area, and right next door to Makena beach which is simply gorgeous. While the island isn't that big, it can take forever to get from point A to point B due to the geography and subsequent layout of the roads.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 02:51 AM   #23
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
My wife and I have been to Maui twice, and we stayed at the new Hyatt Residence Club both times (we don't own a timeshare, but we are long-time Hyatt members and they send us promo deals; I think out last week there was $1500 for the week with a 2-bedroom suite with full kitchen). It's on the Kaanapali side. Kapalua is on that side of the island, and they have the Ritz Carlton, which is gorgeous.

We travel to Hawaii fairly often for vacation (at least once a year) and have found we like places with living space and kitchens, that way we aren't stuck eating out every day (it gets old and expensive). Costco is right next to the airport in Kahalui, too. Pick up your steaks, beer, and macadamia nuts early.

As for restaurants, I really enjoy Mama's Fish House and Da Kitchen. Also, the Paia Fish Market is great. Seriously. Definitely try and do the Haleakala sunrise. If you're staying in Lahaina, it's a good 2.5 hour drive, so you'll want to leave at least 3.5 hours before sunrise (yeah, seriously. But it's sooooo worth it. It's life changing.). After the sunrise, hit the Komodo Store and Bakery for some malasadas and cream puffs, then head down to Paia and grab an early lunch at the fish market right when they open (otherwise it gets really busy).

If you do stay on the Kaanapali side, there is a great little bakery called Leoda's that has great pie.

No matter what, you'll have a blast. I love Maui, second only to Kauai for me. Enjoy!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 02:54 AM   #24
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albusdabbledore View Post
Dah kitchen was yummy we ate there once

Yep. Da Kitchen's assortment of Loco Moco bowls is astounding... We've been there at least 4 times and I get a different one each time (all very good).
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 04:13 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

One other thing to take into account is weather. We've been to Maui perhaps 35 times generally spring and fall. In the spring the weather is a little more uncertain in certain places like Kapalua, which is on the Lahaina side and up past Kaanapali. Even Napili and Kahana which is farther up can be rainy at times. The reason that the Native Hawaiian royalty (Ali'i,) headquartered in Lahaina area was probably due to great weather and an underground river.

On the Kehei/Wailea side the weather is a lot like Kaanapali only slightly warmer generally.

On our first trip to Maui we stayed in a condo in Kapalua and it rained often so we went shopping down in Kaanapali and we noticed, hey, no rain. After a few days of that it dawned on us that Kaanapali is just dryer (and only a couple of miles down the road) and the locals told us the clouds come over the mountain and split off a Kaanapali and hence, no rain.
Old 27 April 2019, 07:56 AM   #26
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm partial to Wailea.

We stay in the Napua Tower at the Grand Wailea (pinky extended). Four Seasons is pretty amazing, also, but I think the Grand Wailea has the most beautiful grounds, in my opinion.

Dining:

Spago - In the Four Seasons
Ferraro's - In the Four Seasons. Ask for Kathy, she is an amazing server
Morimoto's - In the Andaz
Ka'ana Kitchen - In the Andaz
Matteo's - In Wailea
Nick's Fish Market - in Wailea
Mama's Fish House - Paia. (for first timers)

Have fun and post lots of pictures!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 08:12 AM   #27
WV2019
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the grand Wailea (Waldorf Astoria)

WV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:30 PM   #28
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I’ve really enjoyed renting condos in the Kihei area. The Kameole beaches are very nice (so many turtles if you like snorkeling!) and there are lots of nice restaurants in walking distance.

For restaurants I agree with all of the recommendations for Mama’s, it really is a must try. Also highly recommend Maui brewing if you’re a beer fan. They have a location near Kihei with 30 or 40 beers on tap and a lovely patio. And they partner with local food trucks for some tasty meals!
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 04:27 PM   #29
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Hotels/dining in Maui?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
I’ve really enjoyed renting condos in the Kihei area. The Kameole beaches are very nice (so many turtles if you like snorkeling!) and there are lots of nice restaurants in walking distance.

For restaurants I agree with all of the recommendations for Mama’s, it really is a must try. Also highly recommend Maui brewing if you’re a beer fan. They have a location near Kihei with 30 or 40 beers on tap and a lovely patio. And they partner with local food trucks for some tasty meals!

Swimming around with turtles and a 36 mm yellow gold day date with my girlfriend was the highlight of my trip. Now I miss my old watch

Old 27 April 2019, 04:31 PM   #30
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Hotels/dining in Maui?