The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Attn. Golfers- Any PXG fans/haters out there?

I recently ordered some Callaway Apex irons (quite excited) and today a buddy of mine says “have you ever hit the PXG irons”? OMG these are VERY nice! Today was a rare day where I was swinging it well (range only of course). So any of you guys have any positive or negative comments on the PXGs? His set were the Gen 2s in the XF
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:15 PM   #2
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Cons: 4-500 per iron...and no it will not make you a better golfer lol
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Have the PXG irons and to be honest they are not very forgiving. My experience these are clubs for the Low handicap golfer.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:02 PM   #4
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Always played Pings but the Apex are great looking irons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:31 PM   #5
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
I have a friend who has them and LOVES them.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Thx for the feedback, probably best if i stick to the Apex I’ve ordered.....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:51 PM   #7
hectorlopez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I have a friend who has them and LOVES them.
What's his handicap?
hectorlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I play with a few different guys who have them. They all like the clubs well enough but their game has not improved with them. I’m a big believer that getting the correct shaft makes a way bigger difference than getting a particular head.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:00 PM   #9
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I have Callaway Apex CF16 irons. Got them in Nov 15 when released. Love them. The new model is good reviews. Hope you enjoy. Have never hit PXGs. Too pricey. Cheers, Tim
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:34 PM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Wanted the PXGs but got fitted for the PXGs, P790s, APs etc and the P790s were the best for me.

Finally have my bag fitted properly

M4 driver (9.5* 55gr stiff 110-115mph)
M3 3 wood (65gr stiff)
Gapr hi 3 hybrid
P790 4-AW mid grip
56 milled grind wedge
60 hi toe
Scotty Cameron Coronado putter
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:28 PM   #11
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I’ve hit them and liked them. I’m a big believer that players should play less forgiving clubs. Big cavity back irons provide little feedback. A good shot should feel good and a bad shot should feel bad. I play Miura wedges and will likely get Miura irons when the time comes, but PXG has a very similar philosophy.

I’m still satisfied with my 15-year old set of Taylor Mades.

You boys hit em straight this year. I had knee surgery due to a skiing accident a few weeks ago so I’m probably shelved until August or so. As if the golfing season in Minnesota isn’t short enough already.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:51 PM   #12
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
If you like the PXG's give the taylormade p790s a shot. PXG sued taylormade over the p790s (Taylormade won), but they are absolutely incredible irons for the money.

I have tried the PXG and I hit them extremely well, I just couldn't justify the 400 dollars per club plus a shaft upcharge for what I wanted.

I got my p790's for 1200 with the upgraded shaft I wanted, I hit the ball just as far and can work it just as well. Also saved myself 2500 bucks lol.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:09 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
I recently ordered some Callaway Apex irons (quite excited) and today a buddy of mine says “have you ever hit the PXG irons”? OMG these are VERY nice! Today was a rare day where I was swinging it well (range only of course). So any of you guys have any positive or negative comments on the PXGs? His set were the Gen 2s in the XF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I have a friend who “upgrades” his equipment what seems like every season ... with about a 15 handicap, I always feel like he should spend more time and money on his swing.

He happens to be a contractor and I always tell him that it’s not the tools it’s the carpenter.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:28 PM   #14
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Golf is 95% mental! If PXG irons were that good every pro would be playing them. The Callaway Apex have been some of the best irons for several years now. I say stick with the Callaway. It’s not going to make any difference between them and the PXG irons. The PXG are just going to cost a hell of a lot more. For what it’s worth I just got some new Mizuno jpx919 forged irons and love them.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:30 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb250 View Post
Golf is 95% mental! If PXG irons were that good every pro would be playing them. The Callaway Apex have been some of the best irons for several years now. I say stick with the Callaway. It’s not going to make any difference between them and the PXG irons. The PXG are just going to cost a hell of a lot more. For what it’s worth I just got some new Mizuno jpx919 forged irons and love them.
You must have a very consistent golf swing and hit the sweet spot to play those irons
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 12:38 AM   #16
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I hit the new driver recently. Significantly shorter than the Taylormade and Calaway I tested.
Old 26 April 2019, 12:59 AM   #17
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
This isn't true. Till a couple months ago they were blowing out the generation 1's on their website with all their custom shaft offerings for $180 a club. If you are in the service or was in the service then you can get then for $120-130 a club.

I'm a self proclaimed club hoe and have owned everything under the sun... the PXG has been one of the best clubs I've owned to date. They are on par with the old school forged Mizuno's, Miura's, Tourstage etc....
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:43 AM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I don't know anyone playing PXG, likely due to pricing. The P790s seem to be the most common club I see mid to high handicaps play. I like the look and the Idea of PXG, but i prefer forged. I played the Titleist 716MBs for a while then moved to the CB's and like the way they move the ball a bit better.

I suggest playing whatever makes you the most consistent and has a shape/ topline that you like. I'm a 2 handicap and playing a full blade for me was far too much work. When I moved to the Titleist CB i gave myself the ability to miss more on the clubface without penalty. I've never seen a set of irons like PXG that would make me justify the price. I hear very good things about the Apex irons for what its worth.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 04:18 AM   #19
rb250
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You must have a very consistent golf swing and hit the sweet spot to play those irons
Probably an 8 handicap but they are the middle iron that mizuno makes and not the blades. They are actually pretty forgiving. I hit the TM p790 and hit them a long way on a track man at PGA superstore. 190 yd 7 iron. But they were to inconsistent on distance.
Old 26 April 2019, 06:47 AM   #20
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

I have no opinion of PXG. Gen 1s were priced in line with the rest of the market when Gen 2s came out. There is a stigma about them to the general public.

The key with the PXGs is finding the right fitter and builder.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:03 AM   #21
rb250
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
I have no opinion of PXG. Gen 1s were priced in line with the rest of the market when Gen 2s came out. There is a stigma about them to the general public.

The key with the PXGs is finding the right fitter and builder.
Exactly right! Everyone does not swing or hit the ball the same. The best advice I can give is go to a club fitter and get a fitting. The shaft is actually more important than the club head. See if there is a Club Champion located by you. I think an iron fitting is about $150 and in my opinion well worth it if you are a serious golfer.
Old 26 April 2019, 08:43 AM   #22
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim011 View Post
They are on par with the old school forged Mizuno's, Miura's, Tourstage etc....
PXG aren’t forged.
Old 26 April 2019, 08:47 AM   #23
rb250
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PXG aren’t forged.
Actually they are forged
Old 26 April 2019, 02:11 PM   #24
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PXG aren’t forged.
You're joking right?
Old 26 April 2019, 11:37 PM   #25
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb250 View Post
Actually they are forged
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim011 View Post
You're joking right?
C'mon! Forged hollow body and injected with whatever secret sauce they use is not a forged club to me!

This is a forged club!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2396476B-91EF-4095-BA54-0817577A77B3.JPG (94.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 27 April 2019, 12:39 AM   #26
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
Hey Rick,
I am a PXG'r.
I used to get new clubs more often than some guys flip out of their sport Rolexes. I got my first nice set 19 years ago. Ping i3's. Full set and big white staff bag to boot. Boy was I proud. Kept them for 10 years. Longer than any relationship I have ever had:).
After that I started getting new stuff practically every year or sooner. Just couldn't walk into a golf shop without buying something. My Home Depot. Played Callaway after loving the rental set at the Wynn and had to have them. Had several sets of Japanese clubs (Fourteen, Maruman Majesty, Royal Collection...). Two sets of AP 2's.
When I was introduced to the PXG First Gen, I was caught up in the spectacle of it. Had to buy full set.
Truth be told, I am not a believer in custom fitting. I think it's a scam, unless you are a low single digit handicapper. I think you learn to hit the club in your hand. After all, How many of us weekend warriors actually make the same swing twice?

I have had this set for 1 1/2 years now, and can't see anything in the market that says "got to have it". When we hit is well, it goes. And we all know that amazing feeling.

If you want them, get them. While you stand over the ball you have to like what you see.
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:02 AM   #27
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
C'mon! Forged hollow body and injected with whatever secret sauce they use is not a forged club to me!

This is a forged club!
You know, you're absolutely right about that. Miura's are the gold standard in forging but almost all the clubs now days except minus a few Japanese companies that are as expensive or more expensive then PXG's are made the way you stated. They are all multi piece construction where the body might even be cast and the face is a forging...

Miura CB202 and Tourstage Z101 are probably my gold standards.
Old 27 April 2019, 04:13 PM   #28
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Attn. Golfers- Any PXG fans/haters out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorlopez View Post
What's his handicap?
About 8-10 I think. You looking at getting some?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 12:52 PM   #29
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I've hit gen 1 PXGs and they felt good but overall I was not blown away. I may be a bit of a contrarian but forgiveness (especially with long irons) is more important than feel for me when it comes to irons. On the PGA tour there is a trend of the pros using cavity back long irons nowadays. As someones said above, you have to like what you look at and feel confident you are going to hit it well. Minimizing the effects of my mis-hits is key for me. I am a 3 handicap for what its worth

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 03:04 AM   #30
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
5 handicap. Generally play forged muscle backs. Last 2 fittings I spent some time hitting PXG irons. Quality clubs, good feel, distance, and feedback. Just not as much feel and workability as my Mizunos. Ended staying with Mizuno that last two sets. I do hit other clubs farther, but most of them have strong lofts so it is less about technology and more about loft; although both play a role. The TM 790's and Titleiest TMB's are interesting sets. Similar to PXG with hollow body technology. Like all three but in the end I guess I just prefer the classic feel of the Mizuno.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote